Author Topic: Krista Lights are really, really good  (Read 5631 times)

Offline BJ_CT

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 9058
  • Membership Level: Active
Krista Lights are really, really good
« on: November 03, 2011, 10:59:37 pm »
I bought Clearwater Krista lights at the National from Rocket Moto http://www.rocketmoto.com/ and slowly but surely am getting them installed.  As of this moment, the only thing left to do is wire a trigger so that they dim when the low beams are on.  In the meantime, I can crank them up manually when there's not a lot of on coming traffice to deal with or run them at minimum the rest of the time.  And tonight, for the very first time, I got to use them at full power with the high beams on while riding in the dark and I AM SO IMPRESSED!!!  These things turn night into day.  And this is the perfect time of year to use them as it gets dark earlier and earlier. :great:

At some point, I'll update this post with the full gallery of photos for the installation.  (In the meantime, maybe somebody knows which wire on the high beam relay actually triggers the relay.)  Here's a few photos showing the lights on the bike.  Note that they're mounted on Buck Sport Touring under mirror mounts C-02121 and the wires go through a hole I drilled in the fairing (fitted with a grommet).

Anyone doing an install before I get the full install story put together can PM me if you have questions.

All three suppliers (Clearwater Lights, Rocket Moto and Buck Sport Touring) where all available to answer any questions I had.  Rocket Moto also offered to do the installation if I'd wanted.  Great folks to work with.

Offline Bagger

• Mini Bike
  • COG#: 9849
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
Re: Krista Lights are really, really good
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2011, 12:30:07 am »
Pretty nice work.  I like where you mounted the lights.  That's where I'm thinking of mounting some additional lighting on my bike.

I don't ride at night, tho.  Can't see worth a crap after sundown.  But, I do like having light that makes the cagers "look at me".

Good project ... how expensive are the lights?
"I'm not a vigilante ... I'm just an undocumented border patrol agent."

Offline Cap'n Bob

• GOLD STAR
  • COG#: 7134
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2011, 06:32:51 am »
If you would, Keep us updated on how they work. These look nice, but very pricey. They are almost twice the price of the Denali lights. But they also look like they put out more light and have the hi/low feature.

Offline BJ_CT

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2011, 07:07:13 pm »
If you contact Alex at RocketMoto, I believe he can tell you how many 'lumens' or 'equivalent lumens' they put out in comparison to the the PIAAs or the Denalis and what they draw.  Then Brian can tell us whether or not the unit of measure is actually representative of how much better we can see.  While you're at it, you can always ask him for a COG discount or to match prices.  It never hurts to ask.  He was offering the usual 'national rally' discount in VT which is what caused me to bite when I did (plus they were getting positive notice at the time on the LD forums).  WebBikeWorld has some photos/videos showing some differences http://www.webbikeworld.com/lights/clearwater-krista-led-lights/.  I'll see if I get some kind of objective measurement tonight when I get home or maybe even snap a photo or two.

I mounted them under the mirror to get them wider apart rather than mounting them on the forks or directly above the fender.  The BST mounts were perfect for the C14.  Bob, you know you want them and the Baldwin saddle and subconsciously you also harbor KiPass envy.  Just close your eyes and place the orders.  You have plenty of time to replenish those missing funds.
 :))

Offline Cap'n Bob

• GOLD STAR
  • COG#: 7134
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2011, 08:24:29 pm »
Maybe the lights and the seat. But lets not get carried away!  :))

Offline wml

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2011, 06:01:06 pm »
Bruce,
Where did you get the buck under mirror mounts? I contacted them today, but they said they didn't have the concourse mounts anymore as they were being re-designed. Did someone have stock leftover? I have the Krista's but no way to mount 'em.

Offline Mad River Marc

• Sport Tourer
  • COG#: 8442
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2011, 06:20:40 pm »
When I can afford it I'd want to get a set of the Clearwaters,  I like that they can not only do high low but also work with a dimmer :)
You only need two tools in life – WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn’t move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn’t move and does, use the duct tape.

Offline RocketMoto

• Big Wheels
  • Gear for the Pasionate Rider!
    • RocketMoto.com
  • COG#: 9889
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2011, 03:41:01 pm »
If you contact Alex at RocketMoto, I believe he can tell you how many 'lumens' or 'equivalent lumens' they put out in comparison to the the PIAAs or the Denalis and what they draw.  Then Brian can tell us whether or not the unit of measure is actually representative of how much better we can see.  While you're at it, you can always ask him for a COG discount or to match prices.  It never hurts to ask.  He was offering the usual 'national rally' discount in VT which is what caused me to bite when I did (plus they were getting positive notice at the time on the LD forums).  WebBikeWorld has some photos/videos showing some differences http://www.webbikeworld.com/lights/clearwater-krista-led-lights/.  I'll see if I get some kind of objective measurement tonight when I get home or maybe even snap a photo or two.

I mounted them under the mirror to get them wider apart rather than mounting them on the forks or directly above the fender.  The BST mounts were perfect for the C14.  Bob, you know you want them and the Baldwin saddle and subconsciously you also harbor KiPass envy.  Just close your eyes and place the orders.  You have plenty of time to replenish those missing funds.
 :))

First - terrific photos, Bruce - thanks!

The Krista's are rated for 2400 Lumens per side at full brightness - that's when you have the stock high beams on, or when you honk the horn - if you have the Krista's connected to the horn circuit. When the dimmer is all the way up, it's 85% brightness, and on high beam it's 15% more.

Seriously, the Krista's compared to the Denali 1 or 2's are in a totally different galaxy. Aside from being designed and made in California - *not* a grass hut in Korea, there's a lot of technology and engineering that goes into these, that you just don't see. Support from Clearwater (and us) is second to none. Oh - and we do offer a nice COG discount, if you have some $ burning a hole in your tank bag.  ;D
=Adam=

www.rocketmoto.com
Autocom | Clearwater Lights | Sena Bluetooth
Shorai Batteries | Techmount | Powerlet

PM us for your COG discount code to use at RocketMoto.com

Offline 911ZG guy

• Bicycle
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 8019
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2011, 05:35:44 pm »
 I have the Glendas on my C14 fork legs and they do a nice job of lighting things on the roadside and they let me see road signs MUCH better and further down the road. I really am impressed by them. Now, if I only had the spare sheckels to get the Kristas too. :'(

Offline BJ_CT

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2011, 07:00:26 pm »
Bruce,
Where did you get the buck under mirror mounts? I contacted them today, but they said they didn't have the concourse mounts anymore as they were being re-designed. Did someone have stock leftover? I have the Krista's but no way to mount 'em.
I got them directly from BST sometime in August or Sept.  I'd wait (and complain frequently) for the new mounts as they are perfect for this bike.  Gets them high and wide.  While you're waiting, maybe you can mount the electrics and let me know which damn wire out of the high beam (or low beam) relay to hook the white wire to.  I haven't taken the time to find it yet.
 ???

Offline BJ_CT

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2011, 07:02:23 pm »
I have the Glendas on my C14 fork legs and they do a nice job of lighting things on the roadside and they let me see road signs MUCH better and further down the road. I really am impressed by them. Now, if I only had the spare sheckels to get the Kristas too. :'(

Great minds think alike.  I'm thinking the Glenda will go on next spring some time.
 :)

Offline wml

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Northwest Area
Re: Krista Lights - Clearwater brackets
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2011, 02:17:42 pm »
Just a warning to all, Clearwater's website shows a "custom bracket" option. Be aware that they only make two brackets for the Concours, one is for mounting on a crash bar, and one is for mounting the lights above the mirrors (and requires some trimming of the fairing to fit). They will tell you that mounting above the mirrors is illegal in CA, but they do not make any other brackets. Basically their stuff for the connie is meant for the police bikes they service. Found this out the hard way.

Offline Gildaguz

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: Southeast Area
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2012, 05:50:38 pm »
I do ride to work every day of the week leaving home at 5:30 AM driving 22 miles by I 75 and I 595 here in south Florida, so in top of the HID'S i mount those LED'S lamps, those lamps are very light so there is not needing of any brackets, just remove mirrors, take them appart, drill and tap for a M6 threads, use a 15 mm spacer and secure lamps with a M6 35mm bolt
http://24x7diy.com/product_info.php/cPath/23/products_id/34
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 05:56:40 pm by Gildaguz »
Gilberto

Offline Gildaguz

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: Southeast Area
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2012, 06:26:04 pm »
More pictures
Gilberto