Author Topic: Driving Lights  (Read 11257 times)

Offline SuperBee

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
Driving Lights
« on: June 19, 2011, 03:51:16 pm »
About to spring for a set of Clearwater Glendas and wondering if anyone has any experience with them and/or any installation pearls or pitfalls. If there are other brands to consider please post them up. I ride 27 miles at night through a twisty, not well lit, deer infested area. I need to throw a little more light downstream for that important heads up. Thanks for any responses.

Ride Safe,

SB

Offline Tim Anderson

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 9470
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
Re: Driving Lights
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2011, 04:36:32 pm »
No personal experience, but the July Cycle World magazine has a short write up on the Kristas and Glenda that you may find useful.   They seem quite pricey to me but maybe they are worth it.  Many years ago when I rode at night I used a set of Hella halogen 60W driving lights that were pretty amazing, I assume the new LED lights are just as good.  The ones I had would light up road signs (and animal eyes) from 200 yards away!  They also ran the battery down if you left them on too long, something the LEDs won't do!
2010 C14: Guhl reflash, Traxxion AK-20 Forks, Penske shock, Area P slip on, Debadged, Phil’s Rack, FIAMM Freeway Blasters, Laam Seat, Zumo 660, BarEnders, Heattroller, Hyperlites, PR3s, Fender Extender, StarCom Audio, Front running lights, Pinned bags, Vision +100 headlights.

Offline armyguns

• Mini Bike
  • COG#: 9336
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2011, 09:15:14 am »
Several people that I know, to include myself, have used these as a less expensive alternative:

http://24x7diy.com/index.php/cPath/33

Specifically, the 1800 lumen set.

I cannot vouch for the long term durability, but I can state these are BRIGHT.  While running them in daytime, cars would tilt their rearview mirrors to night mode when I was behind them.  I ended up wiring in a dimmer and a relay.  During the day, they are on, but dimmed.  I use them as daytime running lights (with the low beam) and as a low power driving light that I can just leave on.  When I hit the bike high beam, the dimmer is bypassed and the LEDs are full bright. 
2010 C14
COG 9336

Offline Bagger

• Mini Bike
  • COG#: 9849
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2011, 10:51:53 pm »
Several people that I know, to include myself, have used these as a less expensive alternative:

I cannot vouch for the long term durability, but I can state these are BRIGHT.  While running them in daytime, cars would tilt their rearview mirrors to night mode when I was behind them.  I ended up wiring in a dimmer and a relay.  During the day, they are on, but dimmed.  I use them as daytime running lights (with the low beam) and as a low power driving light that I can just leave on.  When I hit the bike high beam, the dimmer is bypassed and the LEDs are full bright.

Bob ... where did you mount these lights?  Any photos?  And, the photos you have in the link show that the silver lights have an extension on the housing ... but, the black ones do not.  Any remarks about this?  Thanx.
"I'm not a vigilante ... I'm just an undocumented border patrol agent."

Offline C1xRider

• Road Bike
  • I'm not monitoring this forum. PM me at zggtr.org
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2011, 01:04:47 am »

Second question, how far down the road do they project at night?
2010 C14 ABS  :great:
2000 XT350
1998 C10
1983 V65 Magna
1978 SX250

Offline armyguns

• Mini Bike
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2011, 10:03:22 am »
Bagger-

I have the lights mounted on the MC Enterprises front bars.  I will post pictures up tonight.  I have them, but not on this computer.  I don't see the difference between the silver and black lights.  To be sure we are looking at the same product, the lights I have are the black color, BL1800.  In looking at that product, I don't see a visual difference in the pictures of the black vs silver housings.  I went black as my MC bars are black and they all seem to blend in pretty well with the blue of the bike. 

C1xRider-

As to how far down the road....I can't say that I can make a call on that today.  I do know that they are so bright that when you turn them off, it gets really DARK.   When I first installed them I pointed the bike up my driveway, which is 400+ feet.  Seeing all the way to the end was not a problem.  If it doesn't rain tonight I'll take it out and go to a spot close to my house that I know has no external lights and is just a bit over a 1/4 mile straight and flat.  I'll let you know.  I did take some pics of the light pattern at 50 feet with just low beam, just driving lights, just high beam, and high beam and driving lights.  I can post those if you are interested. 
2010 C14
COG 9336

Offline C1xRider

• Road Bike
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2011, 06:43:28 pm »
C1xRider-

As to how far down the road....I can't say that I can make a call on that today.  I do know that they are so bright that when you turn them off, it gets really DARK.   When I first installed them I pointed the bike up my driveway, which is 400+ feet.  Seeing all the way to the end was not a problem.  If it doesn't rain tonight I'll take it out and go to a spot close to my house that I know has no external lights and is just a bit over a 1/4 mile straight and flat.  I'll let you know.  I did take some pics of the light pattern at 50 feet with just low beam, just driving lights, just high beam, and high beam and driving lights.  I can post those if you are interested.

Thanks Bob,

I'm very interested, as they are the ones I've been looking at.  I would be mounting them in the same place you did too.  They are currently on sale for $139 here, http://24x7diy.com/product_info.php/products_id/78, so I'm very tempted to order them.  The biggest concern I have is the life expectancy.  The ones I looked at on eBay stated 3000 to 5000 hours.  That may sound like a lot, but it's not for an LED.  That's only 125 days to 208 days of continuous use, which is probably 2 to 5 years of actual use.
2000 XT350
1998 C10
1983 V65 Magna
1978 SX250

Offline armyguns

• Mini Bike
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2011, 12:00:56 am »
I agree that life expectancy was my biggest concern, along with light output.  I can't make an assessment on life span as I have only about 2000 miles on them.  They appear to be a quality product, based ONLY on the outside housing and the solid feel of the lights.  I haven't taken them apart (and I don't intend to) to see the insides. 
2010 C14
COG 9336

Offline Big B

• Tricycle
  • COG#: 9651
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2011, 08:45:36 pm »
Hey Bob, I have some locally purchased LEDs that I want to hook up on the C14. I come from the school for the electrically/mechanically declined. How did you wire things for the dimmer feature on your bike?
Thanks, BB.

Offline armyguns

• Mini Bike
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2011, 11:42:31 pm »
Hey Bob, I have some locally purchased LEDs that I want to hook up on the C14. I come from the school for the electrically/mechanically declined. How did you wire things for the dimmer feature on your bike?
Thanks, BB.

I did it pretty much by trial and a couple of errors, BUT I was smart enough to have made a complete wiring diagram of the job after I was done and had proved that they actually work.  I need to clean it up a little and I'll be happy to post it.  Actually, I was thinking of doing a tech article on it. I took pictures along the way.   Give me a day or three and I'll at least have the wiring diagram done. 
2010 C14
COG 9336

Offline armyguns

• Mini Bike
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2011, 11:16:23 pm »
The atttached wiring diagram should help anyone understand how to wire the lights using a dimmer and automatically switch to high power when the bike high beam is turned on.  I've got a tech article along with pictures just about done and will be submitting that probably by Monday.  However, this should be enough to get started or at least collect the required parts like the dimmer and the relays.  The dimmer I used is specific to LED's so don't try to use it with regular (non-LED) bulbs! Also, don't try to use a regular dimmer to control LED's.  It won't work.   
2010 C14
COG 9336

Offline nilesh

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: Southeast Area
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2011, 02:29:05 am »

Offline Cap'n Bob

• GOLD STAR
  • COG#: 7134
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2011, 10:44:39 am »
That gives a nice sample of the lights!

Offline charli

• Tricycle
  • CARPE DIEM
  • AREA: Southwest Area
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2011, 08:01:07 am »
Hello Friends:
I would like to know where you have placed the lights
It is possible that you put some pictures?
Greetings

Offline C1xRider

• Road Bike
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2011, 01:26:46 pm »
Hello Friends:
I would like to know where you have placed the lights
It is possible that you put some pictures?
Greetings

Start with the link posted by nilesh a couple of posts ago, lots of pictures.  Good find nilesh!

2000 XT350
1998 C10
1983 V65 Magna
1978 SX250

Offline charli

• Tricycle
  • CARPE DIEM
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2011, 06:50:28 pm »
Indeed the link facebook there are many pictures but none of the CONCOURS 1400 which is what interests me

thanks

Offline SuperBee

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: South Central Area
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2011, 04:29:52 am »
I sprung for the Clearwater Glendas.  As soon as I get them installed, I will post a tech article on it.  The two Glendas I got will be place on the forks.  They are on backorder now, so may be a few weeks before I can get pics up.

Ride Safe,

SB

Offline charli

• Tricycle
  • CARPE DIEM
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2011, 09:56:04 am »
Bagger-

I have the lights mounted on the MC Enterprises front bars.  I will post pictures up tonight.  I have them, but not on this computer.  I don't see the difference between the silver and black lights.  To be sure we are looking at the same product, the lights I have are the black color, BL1800.  In looking at that product, I don't see a visual difference in the pictures of the black vs silver housings.  I went black as my MC bars are black and they all seem to blend in pretty well with the blue of the bike. 

C1xRider-

Hi Bob
It would be possible were to put some pictures of the lights in the C14
[/size]

Offline armyguns

• Mini Bike
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2011, 11:16:43 am »
I've tried to upload pics several times but keep bumping into file size limitations.  I guess that is what I get for using a 10MP camera.  Let's see it this one works. 
2010 C14
COG 9336

Offline armyguns

• Mini Bike
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2011, 11:19:30 am »
I've tried to upload pics several times but keep bumping into file size limitations.  I guess that is what I get for using a 10MP camera.  Let's see it this one works.

NOPE.  Still too large.  I'll take a couple of low res pics and try again, unless someone can explain how to save the .jpg's in a lower resolution.   
2010 C14
COG 9336

Offline armyguns

• Mini Bike
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2011, 11:39:43 am »

NOPE.  Still too large.  I'll take a couple of low res pics and try again, unless someone can explain how to save the .jpg's in a lower resolution.   

I uploaded pics to here:  http://s1142.photobucket.com/albums/n605/armyguns/Concours%20LED%20Lights/

I hope this works.  Never tried Photobucket before. 
2010 C14
COG 9336

Offline tthompsr

• Tricycle
  • COG#: Forum
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2011, 08:14:30 pm »
What you need to do is resize your pics using paint! Right klick on your pic chose open with paint, at the top you'll see resize, I usually change to 20-30 % then save.then upload your newly sized pic!

Offline armyguns

• Mini Bike
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2011, 12:39:05 am »
What you need to do is resize your pics using paint! Right klick on your pic chose open with paint, at the top you'll see resize, I usually change to 20-30 % then save.then upload your newly sized pic!

Thanks-  Hope these aren't too small to be useful.
2010 C14
COG 9336

Offline nilesh

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: Southeast Area
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2011, 02:36:12 am »

Offline armyguns

• Mini Bike
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2011, 09:52:51 am »
check this http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=207.15

Ayyyup, that's my bike!  The other site is much more generous with file attachment sizes! 
2010 C14
COG 9336