Author Topic: economical (or cheap) Gps unit  (Read 5580 times)

Offline SkipH76

• Tricycle
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Re: economical (or cheap) Gps unit
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2014, 01:47:38 am »
I've always been a minimalistic (spelled right hopefully!) kind of guy and have never had the urge to listen to anything while riding but smooth air buffered by earplugs but I recently bought a cheapy Garmin for less than a hundred and got a ram mount for it.  Sure, it's hard to see in the direct sunlight but hopefully a bill (think bill on a cap) made for it and on its' way will help and a ziplock bag waterproofs it.  Since I don't have bluetooth in my helmet I just watch for the turn by turn directions - no more distracting than trying to read a tank map - I seldom really "need" one and this seemed to be an economical way to see how much I would really use one.  Down the road if it's something that I really feel like I can't do without (heated grips and vest comes to mind) I may invest in a high end unit.  My $0.02 

Offline Kawi Ken

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2014, 10:14:04 am »
   Here ya go for a cheapie unit that ya can walk away from bike and not worry. Just carry a Baggie.            http://electronics.woot.com/plus/tomtom-vs-garmin-choose-your-gps
2009 C-14 Fast Color
Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly.
http://youtu.be/jrFJQwYFJWw

Offline Tundra Tom

• Street Cruiser
  • XLR8
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 8925
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2014, 03:15:17 pm »
Thank you for the info and suggestions. I'm thinking of going with a sena SMH 5 FM . I'll be able to use my cave man cell phone for GPS till I upgrade, have fm  for music, news, and weather, and maybe a Bluetooth mp3. We'll see if I can pull this off.  ;)
                                                                                                                                                                         Jim

Jim, Just FYI I had old Cardo gen 1's for years - bought the Sena's and returned them due to re-connection and wind noise issues. Bought the Cardo Q'3 and all is well in com land. I spoke with the Cardo rep at Barber and he said the Q9's are a bit much for most folks. He also claimed the one touch connection works with other brands though I have yet to test this.

Of course...YRMVG
"When my time has come I'd rather be in the Saddle then the Recliner"
1974 Kawasaki H-1 500
1975 Norton 850 Commando
2013 BMW GS 650 Sertao
2008 Suzuki Bandit 1250 Yes, I ride all four of them.:)

Offline firehawk618

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: Northwest Area
« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2014, 05:17:42 am »
FYI to all those cell phone gps users:

Generally you MUST have a data connection running most of the time to get the maps to work properly.

Not so good if you plan on riding hundereds of miles in areas with ZERO cellphone data.

Stand alone is the best way to go in those instances.
2012 C14 Black

Offline Big-Al

• Scooter
  • AREA: Southwest Area
« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2014, 04:33:43 pm »
You do not need a data connection unless you have a need for "real-time" traffic or weather information. There are quite a few smartphone apps for "data-free" GPS navigation... both free and with a cost. They all require map downloading to function data-free. I use Sygic on my Android phone and it is much better (IMO) than the dedicated Garmin's I have always used. I was surprised how much GPS functionality I get with smallish map files (covering the entire USA plus Canada and Mexico) and no data connection. I now use it exclusively in my car and my bike.

Here is a link that will discuss a few app choices you have for data-free GPS navigation.

http://www.cnet.com/news/can-dataless-smartphones-still-use-gps-navigation-apps/

2012 Kawasaki Concours (Arabian Red) (1400cc)
2008 BMW K1200GT (1200cc)
2004 BMW K1200GT (1200cc)
1998 BMW K1200RS (1200cc)
1991 BMW K1 (1000cc)
1986 BMW K100 LT (1000cc)
1980 BMW R100 RT (1000cc)
1975 BMW R90/6 (900cc)
1972 BSA Lightning (750cc)
1970 Norton Commando (750cc)
1969 Triumph Bonneville (650cc)
1968 Harley Davidson Sprint (250cc)
1967 Honda Super Hawk (305cc)
1967 Honda Cub (65cc)

Offline Colt45

• Scooter
  • COGnito Ergo Zoom
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 7914
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2014, 03:02:38 pm »
A cell phone is too fiddly to use as a GPS in the car.  I can't can't imagine using in on a bike. 
John  '09 Concours 14 TCBM  Full Area P, Traxxion & Penske 8987, MR Flash, Front Canyon Cages
'00 748/853 "Rosetta" 
Chattavegas  COG #7914   IBA #33000

Offline mbishara

• Mini Bike
  • http://www.maged-bishara-montreal.ca
    • Personal Web Site
« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2014, 06:45:20 am »
I think rust the cell phones work the best as long as you're using the right software.

You fixate on the satellites as well as the cellular towers, have your phone connected and play your music or audio books at the same time.

I always have it with me anyways for pictures and videos of the trip as well.

Cell Phones are the cheapest. Most of us have them, and they have decent GPS programs avalaible for them. I use mine with a handlebar clamp. Works like a dream.

Offline mbishara

• Mini Bike
    • Personal Web Site
« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2014, 06:50:05 am »
The funny thing is that you can also get the Garmin or Tom in your cell phone as well. They're just mapping softwares and they're catching up to the times now. Cell phones do more today than what they used to when these stabs shone gps units started to show up in the market.

Cell Phone.

GPS maps are behind the times, where as google on a phone not only is pin point accurate with daily construction zones, road changes, brand new roads, but gmaps even tells you current traffic situation ahead of you in real time...that moment!

And there are phone apps that allow the phone to banigate whether there is cell signal or not.

My Garmin Zumo nor the 550  has anything over my phone, and its amazing when I use them side by side.  I'll never sucker up to garmin ever EVER again

Offline mbishara

• Mini Bike
    • Personal Web Site
« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2014, 06:53:13 am »
Google Maps needs a data plan but you can download Tom or any other mapping software that has the maps that you need pre-loaded so no data necessary while roaming.

When I'm in my home area I use Google maps because of its integration with everything (hot links when you Vick on an address, etc.). But when I'm roaming I load my Tom Tom and shut off my data

Cell Phone.

GPS maps are behind the times, where as google on a phone not only is pin point accurate with daily construction zones, road changes, brand new roads, but gmaps even tells you current traffic situation ahead of you in real time...that moment!

And there are phone apps that allow the phone to banigate whether there is cell signal or not.

My Garmin Zumo nor the 550  has anything over my phone, and its amazing when I use them side by side.  I'll never sucker up to garmin ever EVER again

Steve,
I'm with you about Garmin. About fed up.
But, my problem is I'm on a 300 mb/mo data plan...
If you use your cell's gps, aren't you required to turn data on, and doesn't it have to use data to work?
Or does the app get around that?

Friend of mine recently started using a 7" android tablet and a mount on his bike.
Had an initial issue with the first app's gps only working if he was stopped...not moving.
(That was a lot of help...)
But a different app cured that.

But, it frequently shuts down when he's riding.
I think it's the shock...
But it will work.

Offline mbishara

• Mini Bike
    • Personal Web Site
« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2014, 06:55:50 am »
Very good point. Sorry rust I'm a huge cell phone advocate but my Android has an option for higher sensitivity to use with your gloves. It works like a charm. Not sure if the phones can do the same thing or not though.

if you are looking at car gps, make sure they can work with a glove on.
i run an old tomtom, with the latest rider software, works well. wish sunlight visability was better, but its old as heck.

Offline C14lvr

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: South Central Area
« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2014, 12:46:08 pm »
I just ordered a new TomTom Rider... $359 free shipping.
Supposed to be here tomorrow.
Fingers are crossed it will work well for me.
My first Tom tom.
Been using a Garmin Nuvi...sick of it.
2011 C14 ABS (current bike)
1982 Yamaha XJ1100J (sold)
1979 Yamaha XS11 (3200 original miles)
In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
"What we have here is a failure to communicate."