Author Topic: McCruise Cruise Control  (Read 3474 times)

Offline jmozg1400

• Tricycle
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 12700
  • Membership Level: Active
McCruise Cruise Control
« on: November 09, 2017, 02:01:47 am »
Has anyone installed the electronic McCruise Cruise Control?  How is it working out? 

« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 07:08:16 pm by jmozg1400 »
2016 Kaw C14
2008 Kaw C14
1980 Honda CB650

Offline Bigfoot_16

• Crotch Rocket
  • I prefer bikes with more horsepower than noise.
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Re: Electronic cruise control
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2017, 03:54:49 am »
Jeff, go to the main page of the forum, type McCruise in the search bar at the upper right part of the web page, then click on the Search button. You'll find lots of discussions about the McCruise that way.
Jim

2015 Concours 14

Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul. Steve's ECU flash stirs the soul!

Offline jmozg1400

• Tricycle
Re: McCruise Cruise Control
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2017, 07:13:20 pm »
Screw it.  I'm keeping this open.  There isn't a thread dedicated to McCruise.

I just got it on and am loving it.  Behaves like a car's cc.  It was worth every penny.  Now I don't have to worry about numbness then eventual pain in my hand.  Can't wait to take a long trip now.  Something like 1000 miles to out west and carve those mountains/canyons.  And the backlit display is nice.  Tony is really good to work with. 
2016 Kaw C14
2008 Kaw C14
1980 Honda CB650

Offline Deepsea

• Living large in the land of Hansel & Gretel
  • Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Southwest Area
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2017, 02:23:08 am »
With 1 simple search I found 134 threads about the McCruise CC. Everything from basic how to install to extensive troubleshooting. Are you just to lazy to do your own research or is this your normal Attitude?
BSA Gold Star, Norton Commando, Moto Guzzi V-7 Sport, Norton Commando, John Player Norton, BMW R90S, Kawasaki Z-1 and Z-1R , Honda CB-650, C-14
El Mirage Record Holder A-BG 3000cc 11/83 184.049 mph  CDA#0438
(twin engine, twin turbo, Z-1)
Retired Navy Saturation Diver

Offline jmozg1400

• Tricycle
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2017, 02:25:03 am »
No idiot.  I'm talking about a thread titled that.  I did the same search and found McCruise under a Rofstra thread.  Do you have reading comprehension problems?
2016 Kaw C14
2008 Kaw C14
1980 Honda CB650

Offline jmozg1400

• Tricycle
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2017, 02:28:12 am »
With 1 simple search I found 134 threads about the McCruise CC. Everything from basic how to install to extensive troubleshooting. Are you just to lazy to do your own research or is this your normal Attitude?

And if I remember correctly I went back 3 pages.  At that point I said FI I'm starting a new thread, because the date was getting long ago, so by me not going to page 4 and beyond then yeah I got lazy at that point.
2016 Kaw C14
2008 Kaw C14
1980 Honda CB650

Offline Deepsea

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2017, 06:06:19 am »
Three whole pages. That's a pretty good cross section of information and should have answered your question.

"Has anyone installed the electronic McCruise Cruise Control?  How is it working out?"

But then you'd have to be able to comprehend the information for it to have any value. Or, maybe you are just one of those people who's "Entitled".
BSA Gold Star, Norton Commando, Moto Guzzi V-7 Sport, Norton Commando, John Player Norton, BMW R90S, Kawasaki Z-1 and Z-1R , Honda CB-650, C-14

Offline connie_rider

• "OtP" {retired/assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • COG#: 4154
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2017, 02:41:15 pm »
"Hey",, everybody chill.

It appears that both of you got off on the wrong footing.

We've all {including me} made comments that stirred up an argument.
Sometimes what started that arguing, was a simple misunderstanding of what was typed.

How about, we get back to discussing Connie's?

I'll start; I don't have a McCruise, bukuz I'm too cheap/poor.
             Is it really worth installing?

Ride safe, Ted

14 Connie (Traveler II) / 03 Connie (Buddy)
Gone but not forgotten; 87 and 00 Connies..

If your not already a COGger, "consider becoming one".
Help us make "OtP" possible again, DO IT NOW!!

Offline AmphibSailor

• Hooligan
  • Street Cruiser
  • I am what I am and that's all that I am!
  • COG#: 12210
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2017, 02:49:10 pm »
I think a new thread is warranted..especially if the other threads weren't really recent.  I've got an '09 and I have had the McCruise sitting on my shelf for over a year.   Maybe I'll get around to installing it this winter.   :o
09 Concours aka 'The Cruncher:' Corbin Canyon Dual Sport (Laam for longer trips, Laam modded Corbin Modular with Smuggler for mid-length trips), Top Blocks, Penske 8983, Traxxion AK20s, Helibars Horizon ST bars w/Galfer SS +6 cables, MRA Vario Touring Windscreen/Madstad brackets (Copper Dawg sport screen for summer), Area P full system, throttle tamer, Steve's Flash.  

Offline Deepsea

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2017, 02:56:01 pm »
Sorry but when an angry unknown adolescent comes storming in with "f*** it" and responds with "Idiot and Must have a reading compression problem" I take umbrage and will respond. He sounds like the typical bully who Demands everyone else bow down and pay homage to his superiority. Not going to happen.

Offline ConcoursKZ

• Sport Tourer
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2017, 09:56:23 pm »
A guy comes to this site. Wants to ask a question to build some camaraderie. Then the peanut gallery jump all over him. Amazing! I apologize for the blunt upfront nature opf the members. Sometimes I wonder if they just sit around waiting to blast a new guy about the search feature. Sorry I don't have cruise control on mine so I am of little help. But these guys have a lot of knowledge. I am sure you will get some advice.

By the way: Welcome to the site. Where are you located?
2008 Concours ABS 1976 KZ 900 B1   CDA#387
“Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.”

Offline COGnosticator

• SE AAD
  • Crotch Rocket
  • COG 4478
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 4478
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2017, 10:05:48 pm »
OP wasn't asking for advice.  He just wanted to know what experience people are having with their McCruise.

Welcome to the COG forum
Jerry Holland  COG  4478
2013 Moto Guzzi Griso (1986, 2000, 2001 C10 and 2009 and 2013 C14)
Man, you were hauling a** the other day when I passed you

Offline cuda

• Crotch Rocket
  • Ignorance Is Bliss.
  • COG#: 11405
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2017, 11:14:28 pm »
Oh by the way I love my McCruise  ;)
We have invented the world WE see .
It takes 20 years  to build a reputation and 5 minutes to lose it...   - Cog 11405

Offline Bruce_Reafsnider_TN

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2017, 11:19:48 pm »
I'm wondering why he's asking for others' experience and then 2 posts later he says he already has it installed and it's great.  Why not just give us a review of the thing?  Might have avoided some of the responses.

Offline gsun

• Crotch Rocket
  • CDA #560
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 9127
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2017, 03:50:36 am »
Doesn't matter. He's gone. So is Deepsea. Too bad - I liked his knowledge even though it was way over my head! Maybe he will cool down and come back. As for jmozg1400,
buh-bye!

Offline AmphibSailor

• Hooligan
  • Street Cruiser
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2017, 07:31:11 am »
Doesn't matter. He's gone. So is Deepsea. Too bad - I liked his knowledge even though it was way over my head! Maybe he will cool down and come back. As for jmozg1400,
buh-bye!

I believe Mike (Deepsea) is still posting.
09 Concours aka 'The Cruncher:' Corbin Canyon Dual Sport (Laam for longer trips, Laam modded Corbin Modular with Smuggler for mid-length trips), Top Blocks, Penske 8983, Traxxion AK20s, Helibars Horizon ST bars w/Galfer SS +6 cables, MRA Vario Touring Windscreen/Madstad brackets (Copper Dawg sport screen for summer), Area P full system, throttle tamer, Steve's Flash.  

Offline C14lvr

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2017, 12:41:34 pm »
On a similar note...

Most here know I've installed many Rostras for others, as well as my own bike, and have my own wiring diagrams I share.

I've never installed or looked at an McCruise system, but I keep hearing it's pretty much plug & play, hence makes it worth the steeper price for some.

While on a trip to Arkansas a couple of months ago, I pulled up in front of my motel room at the Quality Inn, and started unloading. Two guys walked up to me and started looking at my bike, and some of the mods I've done to it and began to comment how much they liked it. As we talked, one said he had a new F6B Honda, and he had someone install an McCruise system. It had stopped working, and he had no clue how to troubleshoot it. He asked what mine was, and I said a Rostra, and told him I had installed several of them.

I assume there may be schematics and info included with an McCruise or that can be downloaded out there.

But, do we have any Guru's here on COG that may have their own install tips, schematics to intergrate one to a C14 or, even better, an F6B? I got the guy's phone number, and would like to help him troubleshoot it.

I'd like to see if it's similar or different than the Rostra, both in installation, and wiring.
Any tips that help are appreciated!

Thanks.
Bob
2011 C14 ABS (current bike)
1982 Yamaha XJ1100J (sold)
1979 Yamaha XS11 (3200 original miles)
In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
"What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Offline connie_rider

• "OtP" {retired/assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • COG#: 4154
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2017, 01:37:27 pm »
I haven't installed any cruise on a bike, but we did a particularly difficult install on a Classic car.
We contacted the manufacturer and they were very helpful in troubleshooting the problem.

So, (as a starting point) I suggest he contact the manufacturer.

Ride safe, Ted

PS: When I typed this, I had no idea they were in Australia.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 02:47:51 pm by connie_rider »
14 Connie (Traveler II) / 03 Connie (Buddy)
Gone but not forgotten; 87 and 00 Connies..

If your not already a COGger, "consider becoming one".
Help us make "OtP" possible again, DO IT NOW!!

Offline BDF

• Iron Butt
  • AREA: Northeast Area
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2017, 02:42:45 pm »
Unless they have gone out of business, I would think the first step would be to contact McCruise in Australia Bob. As an added benefit, they mostly speak English, just as we Americans mostly speak English, so the translation time should be short. :-)

The McCruise is a in- house design that uses an intermediate rotary station that attaches both the throttle cables from the hand grip and then connects to the engine's throttle drum. The rotary station is powered by an Audiovox vacuum unit but because it is used very differently than the original Audiovox linear system, it has more than enough power, even at low vacuum points, to move the throttle as needed. Overall, a nice system though expensive and not quite as plug 'n play on some bikes as it is on others, though still far less bike modification is needed, especially on the wiring side, as a Rostra by comparison.

But because it is a proprietary system, I doubt there will be much in the way of useful troubleshooting tools such as schematics available in the public domain.

Brian

On a similar note...

Most here know I've installed many Rostras for others, as well as my own bike, and have my own wiring diagrams I share.

I've never installed or looked at an McCruise system, but I keep hearing it's pretty much plug & play, hence makes it worth the steeper price for some.

While on a trip to Arkansas a couple of months ago, I pulled up in front of my motel room at the Quality Inn, and started unloading. Two guys walked up to me and started looking at my bike, and some of the mods I've done to it and began to comment how much they liked it. As we talked, one said he had a new F6B Honda, and he had someone install an McCruise system. It had stopped working, and he had no clue how to troubleshoot it. He asked what mine was, and I said a Rostra, and told him I had installed several of them.

I assume there may be schematics and info included with an McCruise or that can be downloaded out there.

But, do we have any Guru's here on COG that may have their own install tips, schematics to intergrate one to a C14 or, even better, an F6B? I got the guy's phone number, and would like to help him troubleshoot it.

I'd like to see if it's similar or different than the Rostra, both in installation, and wiring.
Any tips that help are appreciated!

Thanks.
Bob
KiPass keeping you up at night? Has the low fuel warning burned your retinas? Find peace, harmony and the answer to these problems. www.incontrolne.com

Offline Bigfoot_16

• Crotch Rocket
  • I prefer bikes with more horsepower than noise.
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2017, 06:28:59 pm »
Hey Brian, they now sell it with an electric servo. Pretty cool, but pricey at $1,085 AUD. That's $822.95 USD with today's exchange rate, and this doesn't include shipping or taxes.
Jim

2015 Concours 14

Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul. Steve's ECU flash stirs the soul!

Offline BDF

• Iron Butt
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2017, 07:03:41 pm »
Cool! I was not aware of that but just took a look. The new actuator is all electric (no vacuum) and can be adapted into their original systems, which is fantastic for those who already have a McCruise and have had a vacuum motor failure.

Yes, the McCruise is expensive, but it is also a very nice product. The Rostra kit, 'hacked' into a C-14 does not work as well, the controls do not look as nice, it takes more effort on the part of the installer (though the McCruise is not as plug 'n play as it might seem at first either and does take some fiddling to install on a C-14 also) but is less than $250. So this has always been the tough choice for C-14 owners.

Thanks for the info., I appreciate it and hopefully your post will help others out.

Brian

Hey Brian, they now sell it with an electric servo. Pretty cool, but pricey at $1,085 AUD. That's $822.95 USD with today's exchange rate, and this doesn't include shipping or taxes.
KiPass keeping you up at night? Has the low fuel warning burned your retinas? Find peace, harmony and the answer to these problems. www.incontrolne.com

Offline AmphibSailor

• Hooligan
  • Street Cruiser
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2017, 08:39:09 pm »
I appreciate the heads up as well (on the new electric servo actuator).  I went ahead and ordered one...It's hard for me to believe I've had my McCruise on the shelf for almost 18 months. :-\ 

Offline ConcoursKZ

• Sport Tourer
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2017, 09:49:17 pm »
Hard to believe you guys are discussing something that can be found in the search. Feature LMAO
2008 Concours ABS 1976 KZ 900 B1   CDA#387
“Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.”

Offline Cap'n Bob

• GOLD STAR
  • COG#: 7134
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2017, 10:25:14 pm »
   I have had McCruise systems on more than one bike. As Brian already pointed out that not all bikes are as plug and play as others. The good news is that the C14 system was well designed, pretty much plug and play and worked flawlessly for me. Mine of course was the vacuum set up since it has been a few years now. Yes they are pricey. But the product and customer service is probably worth it to most folks who choose to spend the money. I personally can vouch for the customer service since they made a phone call from Australia to my home in New York when I had a question on a short time frame. I can't say that about many companies I have dealt with over the years. As such, I can't say enough about how much I appreciated the effort they put in for me.
   The products have been top notch. Well designed to be as plug and play as possible. I personally have not had an issue with their products on my bikes. If the need arose that I wanted to add a cruise on another bike. I would not think twice about spending the money yet again.
   Now the system for the FJR was also very good, but the throttle connection on that bike was more difficult to make compared to the C14. The C14 was a breeze. So in that respect, Brian is correct on the statement of some being more plug and play that others. But to be fair, you would have to make that connection with any cruise control addition to the FJR. And I would bet that the McCruise is still much more plug and play than other systems. Just my two cents. 

Offline C14lvr

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2017, 11:42:30 pm »
Thanks, guys for the info. I'll pass it along.

Bob
2011 C14 ABS (current bike)
1982 Yamaha XJ1100J (sold)
1979 Yamaha XS11 (3200 original miles)
In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
"What we have here is a failure to communicate."