Author Topic: McCruise Cruise Control  (Read 5995 times)

Offline antibus

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 11339
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: McCruise Cruise Control
« Reply #50 on: December 19, 2018, 10:54:29 pm »
I have installad an McCruise System and absolutely LOVE it! Previously I had used a throttlemeister throttle lock and was really worried this would not be 1k worth of an upgrade. It was all that and a bag of chips. Sometimes I have a tendency to gradually speed up and the smooth running connie does not betray the speed traveled as much as other bikes. Needless to say the McCruise has kept me from more than one "Performance Awards". On another note Bob. McCruise phone number is 61 3 9808 2804 and they were really responsive and helpful for me doing my instal and set up. I imagine any calling with an issue would receive the same exceptional troubleshooting I did.
CDA #0542

Offline Jacquelyn

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #51 on: December 20, 2018, 05:13:05 pm »
I mostly agree with the post above that gives the McCruise an 8 out of 10 score. Personally, I'd say its more like a 7 or 7.5 out of 10. I got it primarily for highway use and it works great in that setting, but around town doing anything under ~40mph...well it leaves a little bit to be desired.

My first test drive after the initial installation had me shaking my head the whole way back to the garage >:( Tony at McCruise tried calling me to figure out why it wouldn't hold rock steady at lower speeds, but we never could get a good phone connection. Multiple emails later, I got it tuned as well as its going to get. Horsed around with the settings for a few days to see if the low speed performance could be improved. We never did agree on the settings, so my old time mechanic assistant and I decided that the performance was good enough and gave up on emailing him any further.

Exactly. a factory system with throttle by wire is perfection. That's where my expectations were for the mccruise, and it just isn't all the way to that level, which in most cases is fine. However, when you've had factory cruise control it sets an expectation the mccruise can't quite live up to. 

Now don't get me wrong, it works pretty well all things considered. Not having to butcher any wiring was almost worth the price alone.  I don't regret buying it and it is within the specs that are stated in the owners manual, but don't expect it to function exactly like a factory cruise control.

Offline cuda

• Crotch Rocket
  • Ignorance Is Bliss.
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 11405
« Reply #52 on: December 22, 2018, 04:34:52 pm »
Please answer post #49

Do you have the vacuum  unit or the electronic system??????????????????
We have invented the world WE see .
It takes 20 years  to build a reputation and 5 minutes to lose it...   - Cog 11405

Offline kris

• Big Wheels
  • COG#: Forum
« Reply #53 on: December 25, 2018, 04:03:36 pm »
Please answer post #49

Do you have the vacuum  unit or the electronic system??????????????????

I have the new electronic system

Online Bruce_Reafsnider_TN

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #54 on: January 08, 2019, 12:04:58 am »
I'll say it again, having had cruise control on my '99.  I liked it but for a quick relief (like resting your hands in a twisty bit) I really wished for a throttle lock.  They compliment each other quite nicely.  I imaging for the city/slower riding, the throttle lock would work better than a full-on cruise control setup.

Offline Finesse

• Training Wheels
  • With a one way ticket to the land of truth
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #55 on: January 10, 2019, 05:07:22 am »
I have McCruise installed on my 2008 since 2008, still working fine!

Offline SilverConnieRider

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 11953
« Reply #56 on: February 01, 2019, 05:32:21 pm »
Certainly far less than many reflexively suggest...that's a fact. Been riding for over 35 years, several BMW's and no problems.

I get your point however, and it's a good observation. Don't get me wrong, I like the MC Cruise, it's just not as slick functionally as an OEM does it.

I'm going to assume you never got the owners manuals for the McCruise unit on your bike.

The only reason it isn't working like a OEM is that it was never fine tuned IMO.
The rate that it engages is adjustable as are many other parameters.  But the manual is very detailed in how to adjust the
unit to be as close to perfect as possible.  But it does take some time and patience to read and adjust as necessary.
Without the manuals your not going to get too far.

When I sent an email to the Company with my phone number they called me back on their dime and we talk for some time.

My McCruise stopped working once and I sent it to them and they found a broken wire inside the servo.  They replaced all the wires
with high temp wires and re-soldered it - then sent it back no charge, even though it was just out of warranty.