Author Topic: Exhaust???  (Read 7514 times)

Offline Clinton

• Mini Bike
  • Woo Hoo!!
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 9399
  • Membership Level: Active
Exhaust???
« on: April 07, 2011, 07:54:02 pm »
Alright, so i know this is talked about extensively in the other forum but even after searching my ears off i haven't quite found what i am looking for.  I am trying to determine which exhaust to get.  I do not want a loud exhaust, however, a little grunt down low and way up high is always nice too!!  I do not want any drone when cruising at highway speeds.  I know this is somewhat subjective so i am just looking for some general opinions.  My original pick was the titanium Leo Vince.  I absolutely love the look, however, it is a little pricier than some of the other options.  Then i go to AreaP, probably my current top pick.  However, i haven't heard it on the bike.  I have also heard good things about the Muzzys, but again haven't heard it on the bike and haven't heard anything about the drone, or lack thereof, on the Muzzys.  i have heard that it might be a little louder than the AreaP.  Two Brothers makes an excellent exhaust, and if i had a sport bike i would probably get it hands down.  I love the sound, but just not what i am looking for on my machine. 

Any help is appreciated!!

Ride Safe!!  Have Fun!!
2008 Kawasaki Concours 14

Offline Cap'n Bob

• GOLD STAR
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 7134
Re: Exhaust???
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2011, 10:51:09 pm »
I had a stainless steel Area P slip on on my C14. It wasn't loud at all. Slightly louder than stock. But probably one of if not the quietest slip on I've heard on a bike. It was very nice, good quality, price, and look. But I would say I did remove it and went back to stock for it to be quieter yet. I found it to drone very slightly, that wouldn't bother almost everybody else. But once I put the OEM pipe back on and liked the quite again, I sold the slip on.
 For what its worth, I would highly recommend the Area P slip on. I'm sure you would be very happy with it!

Offline Clinton

• Mini Bike
  • Woo Hoo!!
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2011, 11:53:25 pm »
Thanks Cap.  I can tell you i have seen that post numerous times, so im sure you're tired of typing it  ;D  but i appreciate your input!  Is there a reason you went with AreaP as opposed to a Muzzys or otherwise?  If you dont mind me asking, what do you have on your FJR?

Offline Cap'n Bob

• GOLD STAR
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2011, 07:36:16 am »
 Well, I went with the Area P because of their posted db levels listed on their site. The levels were very close to stock (which most cans tend to be a lot higher). So basically, I knew how loud it would be up front. And like I said, for an aftermarket slip on. It's about as quiet as I've ever heard. And when I installed, I was quite happy. Like I said, if you don't mind just a tad louder only at some times. You'll love the  Area P. I do recommend it.
 As to the FJR, it's stock. It has the look that I wish the C14 would have had. And the ZX14 has. I like the classy dual pipe look. So I have left the FJR bone stock mechanically, and I'm very happy with it.
 So back then, I had thought about doing the ZX14 exhaust mod on my C14 also. I think Kawasaki spent too much time trying to show off the Tetra-lever final drive on the C14, rather than making it look better yet with the ZX14 exhaust.

Offline Fearless

• Tricycle
  • COG#: 8592
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2011, 01:22:41 am »
I had a 2Bros titanium slip on and really liked the looks and the sound was reasonable. I've upgraded to the Area-P full system and love the performance and MPG improvement. It sounds about the same while cruising between 3000 and 3500 RPM, but when you twist the throttle, it really barks like a pissed off Pit Bull :)
2008 GTR 1400 - Flies out, Area-P full system, PCV

COG 8592

Offline Ridge Runner

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 9424
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2011, 12:22:07 am »
 ;D It has been two weeks since putting on a Vance and Hines CS ONE, the sound is great at low rpm and when I'm scootin on down the road I can't even hear it, but when you twist the throttle the sound is impressive. I weighed the stock and the CS ONE and there was a about a 7 pound difference, if your looking at saving weight then this is the one, Installing it only took about 15 minutes.

Offline rlyons

• Bicycle
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 4150
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2011, 07:08:27 pm »
1+ for the Area P. Not too loud but slightly louder than stock. Sounds bitchin when you put your foot in it  >:D

Offline blanton

• Tricycle
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 6908
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2011, 08:00:30 pm »
Clinton, I too was concerned about the drone. I thought I would insert some kind of db reducer if it was a problem. Bought a full Area P, not too bad, then bought a Nolan modular and it is so noisy I wish I could hear the exhaust........blanton
Rural East Texas  76 KZ900 (still riding)         05 C10  2010 C14 COG#6908

Offline Conrad

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2011, 08:32:46 pm »
I have the Area P slip on and I would buy it again. It's louder for sure when idling but when riding at a 'normal' pace it's not loud at all and to me had almost zero drone. But when you get on it, yeah baby! What sweet music it makes.
2008 C-14 ABS
Northern Illinois

Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many...

Offline Clinton

• Mini Bike
  • Woo Hoo!!
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2011, 02:44:54 am »
Thanks for all the input!  Im pretty much sold on the AreaP!  Now, SS or Carbon Fiber????   

Probably going to go with the SS, you see less and less of it now days, and i like to be just a little different.   Plus i like shiny new things  :)

Offline Cap'n Bob

• GOLD STAR
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2011, 07:31:45 am »
I went with the SS. I think it gives the bike a classy look!  :)

Offline Conrad

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2011, 10:01:02 am »
SS or CF, you can't go wrong. The install was easy. The only hard part was getting the rubber bumper for the centerstand onto the new pipe. It didn't wanna go on.
2008 C-14 ABS
Northern Illinois

Offline Mad River Marc

• Sport Tourer
  • COG#: 8442
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2011, 04:08:41 pm »
The only way I'd get another pipe is of someone sells one that makes the bike quieter....  Don't care about milking an extra hp or 5 out of it since this bike is plenty fast for me already :)
You only need two tools in life – WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn’t move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn’t move and does, use the duct tape.

Offline MKorn

• Mini Bike
  • COG#: 9527
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2011, 02:40:21 pm »
+1

I like my stealthy exhaust!
2009 C14 ABS
2002 750 Nighthawk (sold)
2006 DRz 400s

Offline Conrad

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2011, 03:31:36 pm »
+1

I like my stealthy exhaust!

Cept you can see that thing coming a mile away.
2008 C-14 ABS
Northern Illinois

Offline Clinton

• Mini Bike
  • Woo Hoo!!
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2011, 05:20:22 pm »
Yeah, i like stealthy...Just dont want a side car on my ST!!   :P :))

J/K.  To each his own!  I certainly dont mind it, i just want something a little smaller. 

Offline Tim

• Tricycle
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2011, 12:34:53 pm »
I installed the rt side from a ZX14 in place of the ugly stock can mine came with.  It looks good silver with the Kaw emblem on it, and it sounds just slightly louder than the OEM pipe.  The installation was quick and easy.

Offline Clinton

• Mini Bike
  • Woo Hoo!!
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2011, 12:49:20 pm »
I installed the rt side from a ZX14 in place of the ugly stock can mine came with.  It looks good silver with the Kaw emblem on it, and it sounds just slightly louder than the OEM pipe.  The installation was quick and easy.

Interesting, you got any pics??

Offline Cap'n Bob

• GOLD STAR
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2011, 01:19:00 pm »

Interesting, you got any pics??

+1  I wondered if anybody has ever tried this!

Offline Tim

• Tricycle
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2011, 01:12:02 am »
I have never posted any pictures, but I will try to take some and post tomorrow.  Raining out right now.  The ZX14 pipe fits great, looks good, and with the Kaw logo looks like it belongs.  We had to make a small piece of flat stock because the stock rear mount when used made the pipe too close to the rt bag.  We used a piece of flat stock with a hole in each end to drop the pipe about an inch.  to give it just the right amount of clearence. 
I have had people comment when beside me at a trafic light how quiet the bike is, but it is actually slightly louder and I think better sounding than the stock HUGE blk pipe. 

Offline tthompsr

• Tricycle
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2011, 02:12:23 am »
What year ZX-14 pipe did you use? (I remember someone saying the pipe is slightly different size in some years)

Offline Tim

• Tricycle
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2011, 03:42:14 pm »
The ZX14 was a 2006 and I think it says titanium on it or my friend who had the ZX told me it was made of that because it has kind of a bronze or gold cast to the silver.  Here are some pics.

Offline Tim

• Tricycle
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2011, 03:45:01 pm »
pic 2

Offline Tim

• Tricycle
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2011, 03:47:36 pm »
Pic 3 from the rear!

Offline norm-9688

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 7011
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2011, 03:53:31 pm »
The ZX14 was a 2006 and I think it says titanium on it or my friend who had the ZX told me it was made of that because it has kind of a bronze or gold cast to the silver.  Here are some pics.

That looks sweet Tim, nice job !!