Author Topic: Gas cap?  (Read 767 times)

Offline Sppd796

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Gas cap?
« on: July 01, 2017, 01:42:40 pm »
I am really starting to think about replacing the gas cap with one of the keyless racing style caps.

I know it sounds petty but I hate having to shut the bike off. Hassle with get to get the key out of the ignition (which is  behind my phone mount).

I like the idea of pull up, pump the gas, and be gone. All without taking a glove off!!

I know it's petty....

Offline Sailor_chic

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 11610
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: Gas cap?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2017, 04:07:25 pm »
I am really starting to think about replacing the gas cap with one of the keyless racing style caps.

I know it sounds petty but I hate having to shut the bike off. Hassle with get to get the key out of the ignition (which is  behind my phone mount).

I like the idea of pull up, pump the gas, and be gone. All without taking a glove off!!

I know it's petty....

Go to your local locksmith and get another key made. Yoi can either keep the key in you pocket, or keep it in the seat lock. I do both. The one in the seat lock has a radio knob epoxied onto it, so its not very noticeable.
Nicole     Port St Lucie, FL.
2013 C14 Black  
2006 Vmax
IBA # 60267

Online robertv

• Street Cruiser
  • Go Hawks!
  • AREA: Northwest Area
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2017, 04:39:27 pm »
I immediately replaced mine after a month of riding. I used what others found from this thread
http://forum.cog-online.org/accessories-c14/quick-release-fuel-cap/

Best thing ever and not worrying about pulling out key to refuel, or rusted key hole issues. As for security, it's never been an issue or people messing with it.
2008 C14, silver [current]
2000 C10, red [sold]

Offline ron203

• Officer
  • Iron Butt
  • COG#: 9847
  • Membership Level: Area Director
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2017, 04:45:38 pm »
I had a couple of extras made and put one on a retractable key ring lanyard with my top box key (about $4 at Lowes and about the size of a half-dollar). I put the retractable key ring lanyard on a split ring for keys and attached it to an inner pocket of my jacket.

When I need access, I unzip the pocket, pull out the right key, do the deed, let it retract into the lanyard in the pocket. One key fits the tank and bags, the other my Givi box. Done.
2014 C-14

Offline LakeTrax

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2017, 06:53:54 pm »
I understand the hassle with the key, but aren't you supposed to shut engines off anyways whenever refueling?
 :017:

Offline BDF

• Iron Butt
  • AREA: Northeast Area
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2017, 07:33:07 pm »
If you cannot find one specifically for a C-14, one from a ZX 14 will work.

On endurance rides, I have taken a key from a fob and put it in the tank lock so that I can refuel without shutting the bike off but that is probably not practical for all- the- time use. Besides looking odd, it is likely to eventually be caught on something and cause some damage. And besides, it will let the rain into the fuel tank if or when the bike is in the rain.

Brian

I know it's petty....
KiPass keeping you up at night? Has the low fuel warning burned your retinas? Find peace, harmony and the answer to these problems. www.incontrolne.com

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2017, 08:31:55 pm »
I understand the hassle with the key, but aren't you supposed to shut engines off anyways whenever refueling?
 :017:

I can unnderstand not wanting to dig for a key, but please, turn the bike off, and dismount to fill, please...
Don't place the.soccer mom's SUV full of kids, next to you, at risk.

Its a Darwin thing for sure.

Last fall, I pulled into my station a quarter mile from my house, and jumped off, pulled my helmet off, moved my tank bag, and began fueling my bike, which was shut off also...

A generic "pirate operated " motorcycle pulled in behind me at the pumps, stereo blaring, ( I believe it was Millie Vanlillie or some such non rock), and proceded to fumble with the pump trying to get the nozzle, and the gas caps off, while the bike was cug a chug a cugging away... he looked like he was trying to juggle chainsaws... but he looked cool with his shades on....
I went in to buy a bottle of water, and when I walked out, the dude was on his cellphone, with the nozzle locked on for pumping, and payingnzero attention...
As I got to m bike I heard an "oh-snit", saw the nozzle drop, still locked in pump mode,nspraying down cool dude, his hot, and still running bike, and spewing gas everywhere while he tried to dismount.. still on the cellphone.... oh, and his sidestand was up......

Bike on its side, gas everywhere, dude on phone, bike running.....

I hit the big RED BUTTON, and smashed the glass on the fire extinguisher, and stood there while dude gained his composure, and said "I gotta go" to the person on the phone...

True story. No lie.
I handed him the extinguisher, turned his bike off,  and as I backed off to beat feet outta there, asked him if he was gonna be ok, or did he need "help"...
His response was... "no problem dude, this hapened to me before, I can handle it...."

Next time I came in to fill my bike, the pump kept telling me to "see cashier"...
I walked in ready to pitch a biotch, because it was 95* and I was wearing a stich....
Manager said "thanks for last week, this fillup is on me, go ahead and fill'er up.. no charge".

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW

Offline Bud

• Road Bike
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2017, 09:05:01 pm »
A generic "pirate operated " motorcycle pulled in behind me at the pumps, stereo blaring, ( I believe it was Millie Vanlillie or some such non rock), and proceded to fumble with the pump trying to get the nozzle, and the gas caps off, while the bike was cug a chug a cugging away... he looked like he was trying to juggle chainsaws... but he looked cool with his shades on....
I went in to buy a bottle of water, and when I walked out, the dude was on his cellphone, with the nozzle locked on for pumping, and payingnzero attention...
As I got to m bike I heard an "oh-snit", saw the nozzle drop, still locked in pump mode,nspraying down cool dude, his hot, and still running bike, and spewing gas everywhere while he tried to dismount.. still on the cellphone.... oh, and his sidestand was up......

Bike on its side, gas everywhere, dude on phone, bike running.....

I hit the big RED BUTTON, and smashed the glass on the fire extinguisher, and stood there while dude gained his composure, and said "I gotta go" to the person on the phone...

True story. No lie.
I handed him the extinguisher, turned his bike off,  and as I backed off to beat feet outta there, asked him if he was gonna be ok, or did he need "help"...
His response was... "no problem dude, this hapened to me before, I can handle it...."

Next time I came in to fill my bike, the pump kept telling me to "see cashier"...
I walked in ready to pitch a biotch, because it was 95* and I was wearing a stich....
Manager said "thanks for last week, this fillup is on me, go ahead and fill'er up.. no charge".

I've had a bit of a frustrating morning.  Thanks MOB  I really needed a good laugh.....that's too funny right there!  I don't care who ya are! :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :D :D :D :D

Offline Bud

• Road Bike
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2017, 09:23:17 pm »
MOB that story tickles me about as much as when I think about re-balancing all of my best friends wheels (with lots and lots of weight btw) on the car he drove on his honeymoon.  That's been decades ago and it still makes me laugh to this day!  Must have felt like his wheels were square with all the weights me and his brother added. :)) :)) :))

Offline cuda

• Crotch Rocket
  • Ignorance Is Bliss.
  • COG#: 11405
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2017, 06:32:20 pm »
Yes folks

MOB has seen it ALL :party0036:
We have invented the world WE see .
It takes 20 years  to build a reputation and 5 minutes to lose it...   - Cog 11405