Author Topic: GPS Models - Garmin Zumo 390LM vs. TomTom Rider  (Read 13863 times)

Offline Kevin I

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
GPS Models - Garmin Zumo 390LM vs. TomTom Rider
« on: March 21, 2014, 01:21:12 pm »
Hello - I'm searching for a GPS unit and looking for a recommendation from my fellow riders. I reviewed some of the posts in COG and Internet. Most users really hate or love the Garmin Zumo 390LM. My gut is saying stay away Zumo because of the issues with route planning software, difficulty with MACs, and general functionality. I appreciate the help. Kevin

Offline LennyK

• Moped
Re: GPS Models - Garmin Zumo 390LM vs. TomTom Rider
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2014, 05:43:00 pm »
Glad you posted this.. As I'm shopping for a unit myself.... Standing by
Currently on a:
2013 MTS Pikes Peak

Offline works4me

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 10594
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2014, 06:04:02 pm »
I seldom use my GPS for routing so software isn't an issue
for me. I value ruggedness and versatility.
I've been very happy with all four of my Garmins. My next
unit will be a 390LM.
I rely on a GPS for info on the roads and area I'm riding
more than simply connecting the dots.

Offline beegee

• Street Cruiser
    • http://hobbysandlife-moto-fotos.blogspot.be/
  • AREA: Northwest Area
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2014, 06:19:49 pm »
Navigator v... cooperation bmw and garmin...
That will be the zumo 770.. in replacement of the 660 series..

Good luck:-)

Offline Kap

• Road Bike
  • Orange County CA
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 11166
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2014, 06:28:08 pm »
I have the Zumo 350LM (same as the 390, but with a few less features).  I also use a Mac computer.  I don't have any problems with the routing functions in Base Camp, but I'm new to playing with them and may not have done any advanced stuff.   

I admit, I've had little or no success in getting a good Garmin route from a Google map, but I found it very easy to build a new Garmin route that mirrors a Google map. 
Kap - 2013 Voyager ("Lazy Boy II") / 2010 Vulcan Classic ("Red")
"Everyone tells me I should get in shape... Round is a shape, isn't it?"

Offline JS_racer

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2014, 12:05:50 am »
My TomTom runs the rider 5 software,  have used it for a long time.  Works great using tyre with a computer. 
My TomTom uses the 3 tab rider 5 home screen.  Super reasonable vs the crazy money gps units.
The rider works good for me  :beerchug:

Offline Adrexco

• Bicycle
  • COG#: Forum (M)
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2014, 01:02:07 am »
2x  on TomTom Rider. I run the rider 5 operating system on a TomTom One XL. Works great, they're rugged units.  I have no issues with the Tyre routing software on my PC.

Offline Superdave

• Bicycle
  • Upgraded from a 2000 to a 2011. No regrets.
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 10511
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2014, 10:32:55 pm »
I know this thread is about dedicated GPS units, but have you considered using a smart phone and a Cardo Scala or other helmet audio system?  I use Google maps navigation on my phone.  I can be listening to music, and when a phone call or a voice direction command comes through, the music turns off and back on again when it is done.  The Google maps nav works well because you get several announcements as you approach (as in: 1mile, 1/2 mile, 1000 feet) a turn or change in direction, and just before. 

I never have to take my eyes off the road.  As a bonus, the Google navigation has proven to be more accurate, or less miss-leading, than the Magellan and Garmin nav units we use in our cars.

2011 Silver C14
1980 Goldwing Standard
1981 Goldwing Interstate
Looking for an older bike to "cafe"

Offline LennyK

• Moped
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2014, 11:03:07 pm »
Yes I've used my smart phone in the past ... When navigation was free, with google maps and another bundled  search engine with maps called "places" that dubbed as a navigator, unfortunately the last push from Verizon got  rid of these 2, which btw was very accurate.. Now I am left with VZ navigator which is pay as you go or subscribe for X amount a month..Pure BS if you ask me.. So I've downloaded a nav app which had me go in circles.. Not once but twice... At this point I decided to look into a dedicated gps
Currently on a:
2013 MTS Pikes Peak

Offline Kap

• Road Bike
  • Orange County CA
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2014, 11:38:39 pm »
I found that internet connections gets lost way to often when in the more remote areas, canyons, and such.  Google has to have the internet to update the map areas, where a GPS maintains the map on the GPS and uses satellites for location.  Same issue with Pandora...

Offline mattchewn

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 10993
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2014, 11:50:36 pm »
Lenny/ KevinI,
I originally looked at the Tom Tom rider before I spent twice as much on a Garmin Zumo 550 several years ago. I don't remember what I found seriously lacking in the Tom Tom but it was enough for me to justify spending twice as much. That was in '09. Now I have sold the 550, (on here), after years of great service and only problems that I had caused occurred. I now have the 665 with the lifetime maps and as always with Garmin I am pleased as punch with all but the price. Can't have it all I guess. U have used the Scala rider Q2 and now the G9's with both units and they work great. When I find a good thing I stick with it. On a side note, those issues I caused with the Zumo 550 were resolved for free with Garmin tech support over the phone/computer when the unit was 4 years old! Will Tom Tom do that? I have no idea but Garmin DID.  Oh yeah, The XM radio is awesome! plus I can get real time traffic and weather.
Matt
And what Kap said.
2018 H2 SXSE.  (FAT SXSE)
2011 GSX1250 FA
2009 Ninja 500R. (wifes')
2001 Bandit 650  (kids')

Offline LennyK

• Moped
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2014, 12:06:40 am »
Def .. Something to consider, I was leaning on the garmin, price is holding me back .. At least for now
Currently on a:
2013 MTS Pikes Peak

Offline BudM

• Big Wheels
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2014, 11:59:03 am »
I was just looking around for a motorcycle gps for an upcoming tour and found a cheaper solution than buying a motorcycle gps. Look up Copilot  premium if you have an android or Iphone. It cost 10 bucks uses offline maps so no internet connect needed and it has all the features such as trip planning and multi destination routing. You can even drag the route around on the map to other roads. I found it has everything I need for touring on a motorcycle.

Offline stevewfl

• Iron Butt
  • COG# 9334
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 9334
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2014, 12:14:31 pm »
I was just looking around for a motorcycle gps for an upcoming tour and found a cheaper solution than buying a motorcycle gps. Look up Copilot  premium if you have an android or Iphone. It cost 10 bucks uses offline maps so no internet connect needed and it has all the features such as trip planning and multi destination routing. You can even drag the route around on the map to other roads. I found it has everything I need for touring on a motorcycle.

+1

ANY decent android phone (for offline GPS) blows the old crappy boat anchor garmin and tom-tom products away
KiPass!

Offline Classvino

• Lifelong Kawi Rider
  • Road Bike
  • Smells wrong... Oh, it's a 4-stroke...
  • COG#: 11233
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2014, 01:32:06 pm »
I found that internet connections gets lost way to often when in the more remote areas, canyons, and such.  Google has to have the internet to update the map areas, where a GPS maintains the map on the GPS and uses satellites for location.  Same issue with Pandora...

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2014/02/offline-google-maps/   Not 100% functional for real-time navigation, but keeps the maps available even when out-of-range for data signals...

https://support.google.com/gmm/answer/2650377

Jamie

Offline Kap

• Road Bike
  • Orange County CA
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2014, 02:14:48 pm »
http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2014/02/offline-google-maps/   Not 100% functional for real-time navigation, but keeps the maps available even when out-of-range for data signals...

https://support.google.com/gmm/answer/2650377

Thanks Jamie, good info.  There are some limitations and you have to know in advance that you will loose connection, but this is helpful. 

Offline lonekazoo

• Tricycle
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2014, 04:31:25 pm »

ANY decent android phone (for offline GPS) blows the old crappy boat anchor garmin and tom-tom products away

I use both frequently (Samsung SIII w/ Copilot/My Trails/Scout/MyTracks, etc,  and also a Garmin 3790T), and while for some things I agree with you, I still like that I can pick up my dedicated Garmin and go, not worrying about app problems, etc.  Also, for me, the simple interface of a GPS keeps me from getting distracted too badly.  My phone stays in my pocket (well, connected to my Sena).

Basically, I like both.
2008 C14
2001 C10
2006 DRZ400

Offline C14lvr

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: South Central Area
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2014, 01:59:51 am »
I know this thread is about dedicated GPS units, but have you considered using a smart phone and a Cardo Scala or other helmet audio system?  I use Google maps navigation on my phone.  I can be listening to music, and when a phone call or a voice direction command comes through, the music turns off and back on again when it is done.  The Google maps nav works well because you get several announcements as you approach (as in: 1mile, 1/2 mile, 1000 feet) a turn or change in direction, and just before. 

I never have to take my eyes off the road.  As a bonus, the Google navigation has proven to be more accurate, or less miss-leading, than the Magellan and Garmin nav units we use in our cars.

I have a friend who asked me about using the gps in my Iphone 5S with my G9...
My reservations are...
I only have a 300 mb data plan per month. Doesn't it require using data from your plan?
Phone screens aren't as big, and the orientation is all wrong to see the gps map...
If, while listening to turn by turn directions where I'm lost w/o it, I get a call that interrupts, can't see the screen... I'm missing that important turn... Right?
Trying to plan a trip's route in my phone seems tougher, to me. Requires yet another app, right?

Right now, I prefer my Garmin. However, it's been a pita, too.
Not a big basecamp fan either.
I wish they'd never changed from just putting in viapoints...

My Garmin crashes... A lot. All they can tell me to do on tech support is default reset it.
Works for a while... repeats. But, it is just a Nuvi, not a Zumo.
Not convinced yet that a Zumo's any different... Except how much it costs.
2011 C14 ABS (current bike)
1982 Yamaha XJ1100J (sold)
1979 Yamaha XS11 (3200 original miles)
In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
"What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Offline Classvino

• Lifelong Kawi Rider
  • Road Bike
  • Smells wrong... Oh, it's a 4-stroke...
  • COG#: 11233
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2014, 01:56:59 pm »
My reservations are...
I only have a 300 mb data plan per month. Doesn't it require using data from your plan?
Phone screens aren't as big, and the orientation is all wrong to see the gps map...
If, while listening to turn by turn directions where I'm lost w/o it, I get a call that interrupts, can't see the screen... I'm missing that important turn... Right?
Trying to plan a trip's route in my phone seems tougher, to me. Requires yet another app, right?

1. Yup.  Though the actual GPS receiver in your phone uses no part of your Data allotment, pulling an online map to display your current position can.  Data plans are a limiting factor on your phone if you use the built-in nav stuff - e.g. Google Maps.  There are apps you can get that let you use on-board maps - like ALK CoPilot. 
2. Yes- the screens are small, especially an iPhone.  But, (and someone correct me if I'm wrong - I have an android phone) orientation shouldn't be an issue - you can usually use the phone in both portrait or landscape positions...
3. Call interrupting GPS responses? Wouldn't this be an issue if you had both a phone and a GPS units hooked up anyway?  Unless you're running separate speakers or earphones...
4. Route Planning?  Personally, I do the hard part at home on a PC anyway - on a smaller screen, I make small necessary changes on the fly, but it's just too fiddly with my big hands to do anything too complicated on a phone anyway.  My kids laugh at my text-messaging attempts...

Don't let me talk you out of a purpose built GPS though, if Zumos were cheaper, I'd own one...

Jamie