Author Topic: GPS question  (Read 9068 times)

Offline gsun

• Sport Tourer
  • CDA #560
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 9127
  • Membership Level: Active
GPS question
« on: February 18, 2012, 04:07:43 am »
Looking for a GPS. Searched and only found old reviews. I know the Zumo 550 and 650 are the way to go, but I can't afford those. Anybody use the Garmin Nuvi 550? $200.00 CDN. I know it doesn't have bluetooth, but can you hear it over the road noise?

Offline ZG

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 9735
Re: GPS question
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2012, 04:28:25 am »
Check out the Garmin Nuvi 765T GSUN, built in mp3 that plays in stereo and transmits via blue-tooth to any helmet communication device (I have the Scala G4), you can pick it up for about $100 on ebay. I've had mine for about a year and a half now, no complaints, love it!  :great:

« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 04:36:57 am by ZG »
BAD A$$ isn't cheap, and cheap isn't BAD A$$...

Offline Gypsy JR

• American Gypsy
  • I Need a Life
  • Living the Gypsy Life
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 9279
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2012, 06:43:12 am »
The Zumo 665 is the cat's meow of Garmin motorcycle GPS units. It comes with an XM antenna, and you can subscribe and get realtime weather and traffic.

just the other day, my 665 (in my car atm to check a complicated 3-day route out for this summer) popped up a rain warning, and it was right, 5 minutes later, it started to rain. You can display a radar weather map as well, and forecasts. Does good on traffic, alerting you to major slowdowns, construction detours, bridge outages, etc.

The 665 is completely waterproof and so far, as advertised, vibration proof as well. It does AD2P Bluetooth (my Schuberth C3 SRC can mute it to take a phone call) and comes with a motorcycle cradle, XM antenna of course, car cradle / power cord.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2017 Forest River Flagstaff Super-V 27VRL travel trailer
Where are you? [insert random forest name]

Offline Flathead

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 9387
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2012, 02:43:48 pm »
If you do want a 'motorcycle' gps (waterproof, bigger buttons, etc...) there is also a Zumo 220. Definitely not as feature rich as the 500 or 600 series but another option.

Offline S Smith

• Northeast Area Director
  • Officer
  • I Need a Life
    • COG Northeast Area Home Page
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 3184
  • Membership Level: Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2012, 03:06:34 pm »
ZG - which GPS mount base you using?
| Steve Smith | COG #3184 | MSF/CONREP RC |

There is more to be gained by members raising hands saying "I'll do that" instead of pointing fingers saying "nobody's doing that."

Offline ZG

• I Need a Life
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2012, 03:27:16 pm »

Hey Steve, are you talking about the open cradle that the 765T unit sits in? If so, it's one of these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Garmin-Nuvi-710-750-755T-760-765T-770-775T-780-785T-Ram-Mount-Cradle-G26-/230745481933?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35b980a2cd

Or are you talking about where the arm mounts to the bike? If so, that's ones of these:
http://www.helibars.com/product/08-09-concours14-1400gtr-tour-performance-hr-adapters-0

I really like this setup and it's a much less expensive option than a Zumo, I (and my wife and daughter too) also use the 765T unit for in the car, which is very convienant, pops in/out of the open cradle very quick to snap into the car suction cup cradle.

Let me know if I misunderstood your question...

Offline oldsawfiler

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 8062
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2012, 03:33:12 pm »
I've had a Nuvi mounted on my 90 for 4 years with no problems.  It is mounted just over the dash tight behind the sheild.  I used an audio cord and ear buds until last year when I got a new one with blue tooth and a SCALA head set.  The old one still works, just wanted the blue tooth.
Since this pic I have moved it slightly to the left and closer to the windscreen.
But the Nuvi will work just fine at least it has for me.

Well...even if you fall on your face you're still moving forward.

COG # 8062  AMA # 1084053  ROMA

Offline S Smith

• Northeast Area Director
  • Officer
  • I Need a Life
    • COG Northeast Area Home Page
  • COG#: 3184
  • Membership Level: Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2012, 03:39:29 pm »

Or are you talking about where the arm mounts to the bike? If so, that's ones of these:
http://www.helibars.com/product/08-09-concours14-1400gtr-tour-performance-hr-adapters-0

yes.. where the arm mounts.  This only work with helibars or also with stock bars?  OK - I see now.  They are risers with integrated RAM ball and Powerlet.    Cool.  Does this require any changes to stock cables, brake lines, etc?

« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 03:42:15 pm by S Smith »
| Steve Smith | COG #3184 | MSF/CONREP RC |

There is more to be gained by members raising hands saying "I'll do that" instead of pointing fingers saying "nobody's doing that."

Offline wally_games

• Moped
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2012, 03:45:26 pm »
Sounds like the 765T is a good choice.

Since I wanted to get into GPS fairlly cheaply and didn't know if I'd like it enough to buy a more expensive M/C unit, I bought the Nuvi 1490 LMT. I know at least one place that you can get it for $160 (I didn't try looking at eBay or anywhere else today). https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=36082. You might can get the 1450 LMT cheaper (sans BlueTooth) and might have been just as good of a choice for bike use. 

It has the bigger 5" screen that works well with gloves. It has BlueTooth to answer your phone (it IS a car unit), but I don't know if it will link to a headset since I don't have one (yet). At max volume I still cannot hear it at speed, but I don't like the voice prompts anyway and leave them turned off when on the bike and in the car. Probably saves some of the battery life that way.

This one comes with lifetime map updates and has the traffic feature as long as you're using the supplied cig lighter cord. I do plan on buying a cord to wire directly to the battery or switched source since I'm not that interested in the traffic feature when on the bike.

It also has a speed limit feature, but I don't know how many of the other models may also have that. It shows you the speed limit right next to your speed. I find it's been very accurate and it's neat to see the limit change at almost the same moment you pass the new speed limit sign. The only time it seems to be wrong is when you're in a construction zone or something where the limit is a temporary one.

Offline ZG

• I Need a Life
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2012, 03:47:43 pm »

yes.. where the arm mounts.  This only work with helibars or also with stock bars?

It just needs a ram ball for the arm to clamp to, you could mount it off to the side with one of those style ram ball clamps (which are very inexpensive) up on the bars if you'd like, see pic below that shows one of those over on the right side bar of my bike. I think if you had one of the longer arms like I have it would even still reach back to having the gps in the middle of the bars too.

Is that what you mean?

Offline ZG

• I Need a Life
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2012, 03:50:30 pm »
yes.. where the arm mounts.  This only work with helibars or also with stock bars?  OK - I see now.  They are risers with integrated RAM ball and Powerlet.    Cool.  Does this require any changes to stock cables, brake lines, etc?

Stock cables, brake lines, etc work/reach just fine, no need to change them out or add extensions at all. Mine are the stock oem lines.

Offline ZG

• I Need a Life
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2012, 03:55:37 pm »
OK - I see now.  They are risers with integrated RAM ball and Powerlet.   

Yes Steve, the ram ball and powerlet plug are integrated into the 2" Heli risers. It works nicely, I got a short powerlet mini-usb cable and it plugs right in there and to the bottom of the 765T.

Offline Axxman

• Mini Bike
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2012, 03:57:33 pm »
I too have the Nuvi 765T and love it :) Got it off ebay brand new for $99. I mounted it on Murphs KB risers with offset ball mount with 3" ram arm and cradle. Here is my setup.

Offline JPavlis_CA

• San Jose CA
  • Sport Tourer
  • COG#: 2293
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2012, 04:16:12 pm »
The 765T is a very good unit. I picked it up specifically because it came loaded with both the US and Euro maps. I used it in Europe last summer with very good results, for the most part. At one point, due to heat, it locked up and would not respond to any inputs. This was after riding hundreds of miles in 90+ temps. It worked fine after letting the internal battery run down and recharging it.

I would recommend getting a sun shield for it from http://www.glarestomper.com  This mainly helps with screen readability, as the Nuvi line meant for car use does not have the Zumo's brighter, higher contrast screen. I'd recommend this for any Nuvi used on a bike, it helps.
All God's male children tend to be low-life, sleaze-ball, early apexers - Terry Earwood, Chief Instructor, Skip Barber Racing School.

Offline ZG

• I Need a Life
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2012, 05:16:01 pm »
I would recommend getting a sun shield for it from http://www.glarestomper.com  This mainly helps with screen readability, as the Nuvi line meant for car use does not have the Zumo's brighter, higher contrast screen. I'd recommend this for any Nuvi used on a bike, it helps.

Hey JP,
Does that visor get in the way at all when trying to touch the screen while riding?

556ALPHA

« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2012, 05:58:51 pm »
My FAVORITE feature of the 765T is the ability to download custom routes via MAPSOURCE.  I like to ride a lot of back roads and they are very hard to keep up with.  Doing the custom route on my laptop and sending it to the GPS is very handy.

Offline JPavlis_CA

• San Jose CA
  • Sport Tourer
  • COG#: 2293
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2012, 06:13:28 pm »
ZG - nope, no problem with it getting in the way. It can be a bit floppy, and on the Glarestomper site they have installation tips and recommend slipping pipe cleaners under the fabric covering the edge. I went with a wire coat hanger because that's what I had.

Mapsource and support for it, is being discontinued. People should think about downloading Basecamp which Garmin is pushing as their all purpose mapping software for off-road and on. It works a little differently than Mapsource, but the learning curve isn't any worse. The best part of Basecamp is that it will download your maps and tracklogs from your GPS, so you can view them and send them to friends.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 07:06:26 pm by JPavlis_CA »
All God's male children tend to be low-life, sleaze-ball, early apexers - Terry Earwood, Chief Instructor, Skip Barber Racing School.

Offline ddtmoto

• Road Bike
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2012, 07:05:27 pm »
I used a Nuvi550 last year, Heck of a good unit for the money. I tried the 255W the season before and tore them up from vibration and the elements. Warranty took care of them, but can only use those cheaper units in the cage. The 550 is more durable for our use. Hard wire, ramline ball mount on the throttle side and all is cake....for me
04 GSXR1000
97 TLS1000
01 DRZ400E
09 Black on black ZG14...

Offline Gypsy JR

• American Gypsy
  • I Need a Life
  • Living the Gypsy Life
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2012, 08:33:31 pm »
My FAVORITE feature of the 765T is the ability to download custom routes via MAPSOURCE.  I like to ride a lot of back roads and they are very hard to keep up with.  Doing the custom route on my laptop and sending it to the GPS is very handy.

All Garmin Zumo units, being motorcycle units, will send and receive routes and waypoints with either MapSource or Basecamp.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Gypsy JR

• American Gypsy
  • I Need a Life
  • Living the Gypsy Life
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2012, 08:36:57 pm »
Mapsource and support for it, is being discontinued. People should think about downloading Basecamp which Garmin is pushing as their all purpose mapping software for off-road and on. It works a little differently than Mapsource, but the learning curve isn't any worse. The best part of Basecamp is that it will download your maps and tracklogs from your GPS, so you can view them and send them to friends.

You can do everything with newest version of MapSource you can with Basecamp, and we've always been able to send routes to friends.

I do like the ability to get maps in Basecamp, it beats having to download the same map update you just did on the main pc and your gps yet again to the laptop. I always bring a laptop with me on trips, and it has come in handy for making new routes.

556ALPHA

« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2012, 11:11:24 pm »

All Garmin Zumo units, being motorcycle units, will send and receive routes and waypoints with either MapSource or Basecamp.

Yes, but for about 5 to 6 times the cost.  I use a 2720 as my primary and have the 765T as a backup.  600-750 is a lot of cash for a GPS.

Offline Gypsy JR

• American Gypsy
  • I Need a Life
  • Living the Gypsy Life
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2012, 11:15:02 pm »

Yes, but for about 5 to 6 times the cost.  I use a 2720 as my primary and have the 765T as a backup.  600-750 is a lot of cash for a GPS.

Yes, it is pricey. But its 100% waterproof, vibration-proof, does weather and traffic alerts and detours, and works with my fat fingers in gloves. Also, the turn alerts are vastly different in timing, as is the the map scrolling and zooming, compared to the very nice 3790 in my car.  :beerchug:
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 11:18:47 pm by Privateer »

556ALPHA

« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2012, 11:26:19 pm »
I agree 100%, if I could afford a Zumo 665 it would no doubt be on my bike right now!

Offline wally_games

• Moped
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2012, 12:41:20 am »
I agree 100%, if I could afford a Zumo 665 it would no doubt be on my bike right now!

You can buy 5 to 7 auto GPS for the price of one M/C GPS. Does the Zumo line come with lifetime maps, or do you have to get a lifetime subscription at extra cost?

Offline Jorge

• Sport Tourer
  • COG#: 9297
  • Membership Level: Event Host
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2012, 02:24:50 am »
There's another approach that a BMW friend recommended...
I'm in the process of installing a StreetPilot 720 on my ride. It is not the newest model out, but can have the maps updated to the latest, and is waterproof. I have been using a 265W, and am always worrying about rain (I know they make covers). With the 2720 I won't have to worry any longer.
They can be had on Ebay for around $100 or so in good condition. I've been using the unit in my car to get used to it, and it is a terrific unit. Many more options than our Nuvi 265W, including ability to customize the display, which can display a LOT of items. I'm a geek, and I have it displaying direction of travel, speed, altitude, miles to next turn, time to next turn, miles to destination, and ETA... I really like it. It even has a remote so my wife can program it while we're riding - neat!
I ordered a motorcycle mounting bracket for around $35 and made a small bracket to install over the dash hood. By placing it over the dash, my wife will be able to see it easily over my shoulder. I think it will work out very well.
You have many good options... have fun selecting!
Jorge
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 02:29:20 am by Jorge »