Author Topic: GPS question  (Read 9062 times)

Offline FireIdiot

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 10033
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
Re: GPS question
« Reply #50 on: February 27, 2012, 03:22:11 am »
Privateer,

It looks to me like the buttons have been removed from the 665, compared to the 550? With the 665, you still need the external antenna for XM correct? And if you don't mind me asking, what is the pricing for XM?
2010 C14 ABS
Member, Red Knights IL Chapter 21
CDA #0431

Offline Gypsy JR

• American Gypsy
  • I Need a Life
  • Living the Gypsy Life
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 9279
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #51 on: February 27, 2012, 10:40:27 am »
Privateer,

It looks to me like the buttons have been removed from the 665, compared to the 550? With the 665, you still need the external antenna for XM correct? And if you don't mind me asking, what is the pricing for XM?

Yes, Garmin removed all the buttons the 550 had from the 665, because vibration was killing the buttons and that killed the GPS. Yet some 550s worked flawlessly on Harleys for years.

XM NavTraffic/NavWeater/XMradio costs $17 / month. I let it stay active over the winter, just to avoid having to call them up and give them my "radio ID" all over again every spring.

I don't mind the external XM antenna. I got the little angled bracket from Twisted Throttle which fits between the cradle and the ram mount and sticks out slightly above the top of the GPS with a flat round plate that the XM antenna screws onto, and sits above and forward (towards front of bike) of the GPS. So its all in one place, no wires snaking across the bike except for the power bundle.

I've got all that stuff in a box in the car, after work I have to go to the shop and do some machining. Of course I do, nothing is right stock out of the box.  :-[

Want to make a plate for the Dispatch 1 remote to mate it too a bar clamp (using a ProjectD "handy stick") and will put rubber sheet between it and the plate. Have to cut the mounting circle on another bar clamp so it will bolt to the GPS cradle (it overlaps a raised section at the bottom of the back of the cradle) and also put rubber sheet between the cradle and plate, as well as the antenna (it has some but I want more.... lol over-engineer it why not?)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2017 Forest River Flagstaff Super-V 27VRL travel trailer
Where are you? [insert random forest name]

556ALPHA

« Reply #52 on: February 27, 2012, 08:59:16 pm »
Well if I had $750 for a GPS and $700 for a helmet then I sure as heck would buy them and not worry about the rain but unfortunately I cannot afford or justify those.  My 2720 does quite well in inclimate weather so until that dies I will have to keep slumming... ;)  That Dispatch 1 looks like a pretty nice system.  Please post a write up when you get that all installed, I would like to see it.  No doubt the 665 is the best solution bearing no limits in funding.  I tend to use my iPhone for radar before I head out to check for large fronts but light rain is no big deal.  I just do not see the need or desire to take the safety risk riding in a down pour hence the over pass or break.  I have wondered how the display on the 665 compares to the 2720 with gloves though.  Sooner or later I fear a Zumo purchase.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 09:58:14 pm by 556ALPHA »

556ALPHA

« Reply #53 on: February 27, 2012, 09:03:07 pm »

Offline Axxman

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #54 on: February 27, 2012, 09:19:04 pm »
Well if I had $750 for a GPS and $700 for a helmet then I sure as heck would buy them and not worry about the rain but unfortunately some of us cannot afford or justify those.  My 2720 does quite well in inclimate weather so until that dies I will have to keep slumming... ;)

+1 Right on brother, I was just thinking the same thing. :beerchug:

Offline Gypsy JR

• American Gypsy
  • I Need a Life
  • Living the Gypsy Life
« Reply #55 on: February 28, 2012, 02:20:13 am »
I just do not see the need or desire to take the safety risk riding in a down pour hence the over pass or break.  I have wondered how the display on the 665 compares to the 2720 with gloves though.  Sooner or later I fear a Zumo purchase.

Wow. I've been riding 40+ years, and I can't remember ever thinking just because its raining hard I should stop riding. I have ridden in heavy rain that lasted all day long many times, and while I don't enjoy it, such is the life of a motorcyclist. Once again, good gear makes a difference.

I snipped your remarks about "Well if I had $750 for a GPS and $700 for a helmet", but I mean really, the helmet is a Limited Edition Carbon Fiber C3 which is not even available in the USA and may no longer be available in Germany, so it cost far more than "$700".  If you want to take a sideways shot at me for spending the money on good gear, get it right.  :beerchug:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline ChipDoc

• Sport Tourer
  • Work to ride - Ride to work!
  • COG#: 9934
« Reply #56 on: February 28, 2012, 09:43:33 am »
I haven't been riding as long as you have Privateer, but I've ridden all day long in rain more than a few times.  I've discovered that thinking about riding in the rain is a whole lot worse than actually riding in the rain.  But neither do I set out on a pleasure ride in a downpour.  Once I was in such a serious frog-strangler that I literally could not see the white line at the side of the country road, which I'd been using to navigate since everything else was just a watery gray on that thankfully empty road.  I did stop at that point; we all have our limits.

I think each of us buys the best safety equipment we can afford, and there's a whole lot of really good stuff out there at reasonable prices.  There sure are advantages to the pricier stuff, but my old B&W Garmin eMap works fine and can be stuffed into the tank bag in a storm.  It's not as if I'm taking my life in my hands by using it. 

I'm GLAD you can afford great gear, Privateer.  I suspect you worked damned hard to be able to do that, and it can happen to each of us with a lot of persistence and a bit of luck.  This is America, after all.  We each make do as best we can.

Offline Cap'n Bob

• GOLD STAR
  • COG#: 7134
« Reply #57 on: February 28, 2012, 11:40:13 am »
    Riding in the rain is normally out of necessity for me. I do not set out in the rain if I do not need to. I find little to no enjoyment in riding in the wet. But if I have to be some where (when on a trip), or it happens to rain while out riding. Well then you deal with it the best you can. Sometimes it's a short shower or even down pour. But other times it's all out unyielding rain. Unfortunately it's a part of motorcycling that you must accept and deal with.
   But with that said. There have been a few times when at COG rallies, that it was just a rainy miserable day. Since I find no enjoyment in riding like that. I'll hang out with other like minded COGgers. Then we might enjoy relaxing with beverages more than white knuckled riding in the wet. But of course this is just my opinion.   :beerchug:

556ALPHA

« Reply #58 on: February 28, 2012, 01:42:30 pm »
Well I am very proud that you can ride in the rain.  Maybe I have a different perspective as I personally see what the results are from other drivers exceeding safe speeds in the rain.  I do not care how long you have been riding, I honestly do not care what helmet you wear, what GPS you use, or whether you feel you are a true MOTORCYCLIST.   What I do care about is being run over by some idiot going the speed limit and texting down the freeway in heavy rain.   Riding is just not more important than being a father.  Enjoy riding in the heavy rain for pleasure because you are obviously invincible.  Riding out of necessity is understandable, riding in a down pour because you can is just stupid.   I am not talking about back roads, I am talking about freeways hence the word overpass.    Maybe one day you will see if your helmet was worth whatever you paid for it but I hope not.  I was not rude or disrespectful in my reply to you.   I enjoy this forum because the members tend to avoid confrontations and genuinely want to help.  I am not sure if you read too much into my reply but you know nothing about me or my capabilities.   I will avoid your future posts and would appreciate the same.       Peace.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 02:22:01 pm by 556ALPHA »

Offline Gypsy JR

• American Gypsy
  • I Need a Life
  • Living the Gypsy Life
« Reply #59 on: February 28, 2012, 04:25:35 pm »
Well I am very proud that you can ride in the rain.  Maybe I have a different perspective as I personally see what the results are from other drivers exceeding safe speeds in the rain.  I do not care how long you have been riding, I honestly do not care what helmet you wear, what GPS you use, or whether you feel you are a true MOTORCYCLIST.   What I do care about is being run over by some idiot going the speed limit and texting down the freeway in heavy rain.   Riding is just not more important than being a father.  Enjoy riding in the heavy rain for pleasure because you are obviously invincible.  Riding out of necessity is understandable, riding in a down pour because you can is just stupid.   I am not talking about back roads, I am talking about freeways hence the word overpass.    Maybe one day you will see if your helmet was worth whatever you paid for it but I hope not.  I was not rude or disrespectful in my reply to you.   I enjoy this forum because the members tend to avoid confrontations and genuinely want to help.  I am not sure if you read too much into my reply but you know nothing about me or my capabilities.   I will avoid your future posts and would appreciate the same.       Peace.

You won't get off that easy. And this post, quoted above, is even more negative, which I thought you might avoid rather than escalate. No peace, bro. If you aren't man enough to apologize I understand.

556ALPHA

« Reply #60 on: February 28, 2012, 05:06:13 pm »
For the sake of being banned I will leave this alone after this.  Get over yourself and off your high horse.  You simply are not worth my time.  People like you usually get what they deserve out of life.  By using your posts as judgement you are a jerk.  I dont care about getting off easy.   I think you know where you can go and it is not my ignore list which you had the honor of being the first and only member.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 05:11:52 pm by 556ALPHA »

Offline WillyP

• I Need a Life
  • Live Free Or Die
    • Suncook Carpentry
  • COG#: 8799
« Reply #61 on: February 28, 2012, 05:16:48 pm »
No one is going to be banned over this, let's all take a step back and cool down. I am locking the thread, not because I feel there is anything all that bad being said here but because it is headed in that direction and apparently some feel it has gone far enough in that direction to warrant a moderator's report.

Let's all take a breather, and remember, it's all just opinions here, and disagreement is part of discussion.
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.
pics