Author Topic: Heated seat controller??? For a Saddlemen  (Read 947 times)

Offline garage monster

• Bicycle
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 13091
  • Membership Level: Active
Heated seat controller??? For a Saddlemen
« on: January 08, 2020, 03:57:25 am »
The 2012 I just purchased has a Saddlemen seat on it that I am having recovered. The seat has connectors for separate front and rear heat but have never been hooked up. I OHM'ed them out and they seam OK and the larger front pad has a few more OHM's as I would suspect. I need ideas for a controller or do people just use two on/off switches. The Seth Laam seat on my Beemer has high/low switches and By Goldwing of years past had a variable controller.Any ideas or pictures/links appreciated.

Offline SteveJ.

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 5603
Re: Heated seat controller??? For a Saddlemen
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2020, 02:55:14 pm »
A really frugal way to do this is with a small PWM(pulse width modulator). You could install one or two depending on the amount of control you want.

This is the one that I installed for the heated grips, since discontinued.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016EX265S/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Amazon has a boat load of these.

I also use similar for 12 volt fans in the camper van.

Caveats: Virtually none of these are water proof. They do produce a small amount of heat, depending on electrical load. Not to worry too much as your intended use would be when it's cold out.

I mounted the main unit in the fairing of the 650 Versys and kind of wrapped it with a piece of plastic cut from a milk jug and zipped tied around it. Shields it from water entrance and is open enough to allow ventilation. The remote is mounted in a sheltered area on the dash. It's been trouble free for 57k miles and three years. It was less than $11 when I bought it.

Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SiSF)
Tick Tock, baby (Ironbuttal)
Steve J  Tavares, FL, one of the Floriduh Steves
'15 Versys650LT, '98 KLR650, (back home), '99 C-10, 234k miles sold

Offline PeterL

• Tricycle
  • Keep that platypus away from me!
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 13031
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2020, 07:38:11 pm »
I don't know if it would work for your application (no experience with Saddlemen hardware) but I am using 2 of these for my DIY seat heaters on the SV1000 I'm building over this winter. I'm mounting to a rigid dashboard (through holes for the wires and silicone adhesive to mount/seal) and they seem quite waterproof and very easy to use with gloves:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/5Level-5Color-LED-Heated-Vest-Gloves-Knee-Pad-Temperature-Controller-Switch-2-5A/312427618420?epid=5028059224&hash=item48be232074%3Ag%3Ar48AAOSwxtVcPCiG&LH_BIN=1

Mine all mine: 2008 C14 ABS (aka "Thunder")
projects: 1982 cb750F (project "Ichigo"), 1983 VF750S (x2) (I named the first one "SabreOne" just so's I could name the second one "SabreTwo-th"), and something that started life as an '03 SV1000s but has now mutated beyond recognition...
just gifted: 2003 BMW K1200RS, 2018 Multistrada 950, 2019 Yamaha Tracer GT (Nice. But I'd still rather have my friend than his bikes, y'know?)

Offline SteveJ.

• I Need a Life
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2020, 01:13:50 am »
I don't know if it would work for your application (no experience with Saddlemen hardware) but I am using 2 of these for my DIY seat heaters on the SV1000 I'm building over this winter. I'm mounting to a rigid dashboard (through holes for the wires and silicone adhesive to mount/seal) and they seem quite waterproof and very easy to use with gloves:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/5Level-5Color-LED-Heated-Vest-Gloves-Knee-Pad-Temperature-Controller-Switch-2-5A/312427618420?epid=5028059224&hash=item48be232074%3Ag%3Ar48AAOSwxtVcPCiG&LH_BIN=1

Those look spiffy.
Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SiSF)

Offline TireguyfromMA

• Mini Bike
  • The second mouse gets the cheese
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 12669
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2020, 02:36:22 am »
You should check out the heated seat controller that Sargent uses on their heated seats and I'm almost certain they would sell you just the controller to hook up to your seat.  Sounds like just what your looking for.

https://www.sargentcycle.com/Seats-Accessories/Sargent-Heat-Options/

Installation instructions:

https://system.na3.netsuite.com/core/media/media.nl?id=24893&c=415638&h=d158caa67009c969f6b8&_xt=.pdf&addrcountry=US&gc=clear
2010 C14. ECU Flash by Shodabeen, Sargent seat, Pathfinder LED kit, Darla Clearwater driving lights on forks, bearings on shift lever.
2002 Honda ST1100
1998 Honda VFR800 with A&A Supercharger..yee ha
1975 Honda CB125S.  Restored. The "S" is for slow.

Offline garage monster

• Bicycle
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 13091
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2020, 04:38:49 am »
I called Saddlemen seats. I asked how much to re-cover their seat and the prices was reasonable but turn around time was 3 weeks or more.
 I asked about controllers for the heated seat and it was if I was speaking Farsi. The gal I talked to was no help. I have since determined the wiring out of the seat is a match for a Saddlemen seat as seen on the old web here. I will see if I can get controllers from them.
the little pad switches mentioned above might work but I do not know how many amps the seat heaters draw.

Offline SteveJ.

• I Need a Life
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2020, 03:50:07 pm »
I called Saddlemen seats. I asked how much to re-cover their seat and the prices was reasonable but turn around time was 3 weeks or more.
 I asked about controllers for the heated seat and it was if I was speaking Farsi. The gal I talked to was no help. I have since determined the wiring out of the seat is a match for a Saddlemen seat as seen on the old web here. I will see if I can get controllers from them.
the little pad switches mentioned above might work but I do not know how many amps the seat heaters draw.

Measure the resistance of the heating element(s) and use Ohm's Law to get the amount of current draw. Easy peasy.

http://www.ohmslawcalculator.com/ohms-law-calculator