Author Topic: Helibars users...get in here, please.  (Read 619 times)

Offline Baggerjohn

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Helibars users...get in here, please.
« on: September 25, 2017, 02:56:10 pm »
Considering retrofitting these to my '08 ABS and '12 models. Currently running the stock bars with a set of 1.5" risers and a set of 1" longer-than-stock handlebar tubes, courtesy of Phil. (The extra length tubes are to accommodate accessory switch assemblies and radio apparatus mounts.)

I'd occasionally like a bit more aggressive riding position, yet at the same time would like adjustability back to a relaxed posture when desired.

So...the Helibars go to the top of my list. A couple of questions for those who have installed them:

1) What is the length of the handlebar tubes from the adjustment pivot out to the bar end (how much space do I have to work with here)?
2) The kit includes a brake line extender. I'd just as soon buy a set of longer aftermarket lines and change brake and clutch fluid when I install the bars. Has anyone gone this route? If so: Do Spiegler, Goodrich or Russell offer over-length kits for Gen 1 and 2 C-14s? What length(s) did you specify?

Thanks for any insight!

Offline AmphibSailor

• Hooligan
  • Street Cruiser
  • Ted calls me Cap'n Crunch.
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 12210
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: Helibars users...get in here, please.
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2017, 04:00:06 pm »
I used +6 inch Galfer's stainless steel hoses. 

09 Concours aka 'The Cruncher:' Corbin Canyon Dual Sport (Laam for longer trips, Laam modded Corbin Modular with Smuggler for mid-length trips), Top Blocks, Penske 8983, Traxxion AK20s, Helibars Horizon ST bars w/Galfer SS +6 cables, MRA Vario Touring Windscreen/Madstad brackets (Copper Dawg sport screen for summer), Area P full system, throttle tamer, Steve's Flash.

Offline Baggerjohn

• Training Wheels
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2017, 04:14:50 pm »
I used +6 inch Galfer's stainless steel hoses.
P/N?

And the pic you posted has been Photobucketed out of reach of the rest of us.  :??:

Offline AmphibSailor

• Hooligan
  • Street Cruiser
  • Ted calls me Cap'n Crunch.
  • COG#: 12210
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2017, 04:31:09 pm »
I don't recall off hand...though I'm pretty sure I just called them and asked for the +6.  Be sure to specify whether you have ABS or not.

09 Concours aka 'The Cruncher:' Corbin Canyon Dual Sport (Laam for longer trips, Laam modded Corbin Modular with Smuggler for mid-length trips), Top Blocks, Penske 8983, Traxxion AK20s, Helibars Horizon ST bars w/Galfer SS +6 cables, MRA Vario Touring Windscreen/Madstad brackets (Copper Dawg sport screen for summer), Area P full system, throttle tamer, Steve's Flash.

Offline Sailor Rich

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 9318
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2017, 10:53:07 pm »
Hi John; Well I took the jump for the Helibars on my 09 two months ago. I have run 200k + km on the C14. I was always getting sore wrists and shifting my body to ride with one hand setting the cruise and shifting to rest the other.
Very hesitant to buy due to the cost. The first ride was like sitting on my old 84 Venture Royal. After a few more their just so comfortable and advantages apparent. I can easily ride the whole day with no sore wrists. I have no weight on my wrists. It is easy to stay light on the bars. Low speed maneuvering is very improved. When I counter steer all my input is pushing forward none of it down making the steering very sensitive. I can still lean forward shifting weight to the inside at will. This is a toss up for me as to the best add on I have done. Steve's flash or the Helibars. They do make me want to ride the bike more and I wish I would have purchased them sooner. The only thing I don't like is the hydraulic line extensions for looks. But the comfort out weighs that.

12.5" Bar end to pivot.  31" bar end to bar end.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 10:18:07 am by Sailor Rich »

Offline Baggerjohn

• Training Wheels
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2017, 01:46:30 pm »
...12.5" Bar end to pivot...
Rich,

Is your measurement with the bar-end weight installed? In other words: How much "blank" space would I have to work with?

Thanks!

Offline Sailor Rich

• Road Bike
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2017, 04:37:39 pm »
Yes the 12.5" includes the bar end. There is 8.25 inches of useable space on the bar. From the inside edge of the bar end inwards.

Offline currenv

• Training Wheels
  • COG#: 11913
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2017, 03:45:01 am »
I have a set I purchased in the Emporium sitting right now on a shelf in the garage waiting until poorer weather sets in before I put them on. 

Not to steal Bagger John's thread, but I'd love any tips anyone has about installation and setup/adjustment that might help him or me!

Thanks,
Vinnie

Offline Diz

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 12056
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2017, 09:03:02 am »
GIXERHP helped me install the bars. He hooked up the charging port which he made look like a simple thing to do. There were pictures in the instructions that didn't show the proper way to run your throttle cables. He was forced to take apart the whole assembly in order to weave the cables out from the forks so that the cables didn't bind while turning the wheel. Have ridden over a 1000 miles and love them. Adjusted them 3 times so far to find the perfect touring position but it is really easy to change if you wanted a more sport position. I believe the Heli Bars transfer more engine vibration than the stock bars so I will be on putting bar end weights. Sailor Rich is spot on with his assessments.

Offline Sailor Rich

• Road Bike
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2017, 10:17:01 am »
Lots of protection for the hydraulic fluid and bumps and bangs just in case.

Offline currenv

• Training Wheels
  • COG#: 11913
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2017, 01:24:19 am »
Thanks for the tips!

Vinnie

Offline Gigantor

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 9242
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2017, 12:48:13 am »
I installed them on my 08 C14 when they first came out.  I highly recommend that you get stainless lines and forget the extensions that come with the bars.  I noticed that the extensions expanded when I pressed the brakes.
1988 CBR600  Long Gone
1985 VF750   Sold
1996  Royalstar Sold
1993  CBR1000F  Shouldn't have Sold
2003  C-10  Sold
2008  C-14  Destroyed
2008  C-14  So Far So Good
COG 9242   AMA 1082581  ROK ROK100028645

Offline dlama

• Denny
  • Mini Bike
  • "The path of the righteous"
    • Company Website under construction
  • COG#: 12260
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2017, 05:27:08 pm »
I purchased my ST Horizon Heli Bars in 2013 after the first long ride from East Texas to the Ozarks in Arkansas left me with so much wrist pain that I was almost unable to return home the next day. It was embarrassing because it was also the first 2 up trip with the wife.

I purchased direct from Heli Bars and they upgraded the sale with longer clutch and brake lines and crediting the extensions. This was a challenging job for me to handle and required some time and dedication to get it right. But once I finished it the Concours 14 became a different machine. Low speed maneuvering and high speed cruising was transformed. And there was no loss of sporty handling for canyon carving. And ZERO PAIN IN THE WRISTS. I proceeded to put on 50,000 miles on the bike in 4 years and then sold that beast to a lucky COGger from Iowa.

I would never do any other change to the motorcycle IF YOUR WRISTS ARE HURTING. This ergonomic change is the biggest upgrade you can do for this bike HANDS DOWN.  :))
Denny LaMaster

2005 Concours 1000 in Pearl Lustre Beige. On/Off petcock, Madstad 18" bronze screen, Throttle Meister, Murph's tip over bars w Hiway Pegs, Avons Storm 3D 110/80/18 -Cobra 160/80/16 SWEET... 2012 C14 Arabian Red, K&N  Russell Day Long dual heat, Phils Rack, ST Horizon Bars, Bestem 929 w top rack / LEDs, Buck's Hwy Pegs, MadStad Bracket on CalSci XL tall/wide. Time to Ride...

Offline Not So Wild Turkey

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 10559
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2017, 12:30:59 pm »
PE bars for me but wanted to give a +1 on the 6" over galfer lines.
2012 Concours Arabian Red & 80 Suzuki GS1100E
2003 VTX1800R Black / 1979 Suzuki GS1000E / 1969 Norton Commando
Yamaha DT3 250 / Kawasaki 100 G4TR