Author Topic: Horn upgrade  (Read 10380 times)

Offline Tundra

• 2012 Candy Arabian Red
  • Moped
  • "SPORT" tourer
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 12916
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: Horn upgrade
« Reply #100 on: December 09, 2018, 02:57:38 pm »
Perfect... :great:

Offline Sailor_chic

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 11610
« Reply #101 on: December 10, 2018, 07:36:25 pm »
I'm sort of confused why people seem to get scared about adding a relay for the horns. As mentioned earlier, the stock wiring on the C14 is a very thin gauge, and the switch isn't the strongest either. So, by adding a relay into a horn upgrade, you are running two 18 gauge wire back to the battery and bringing that full amperage directly to your horn, via the relay. The stock horn switch and wiring are hooked to the relay as well, but they are only used as a control, to activate the relay, which in turn, send the power from the battery to the horns. Plenty of power to work the horns as required, and zero harm to the petite wiring on the bike.
Nicole     Port St Lucie, FL.
2013 C14 Black  
2006 Vmax
IBA # 60267

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #102 on: December 11, 2018, 06:00:51 pm »
I'm sort of confused why people seem to get scared about adding a relay for the horns. As mentioned earlier, the stock wiring on the C14 is a very thin gauge, and the switch isn't the strongest either. So, by adding a relay into a horn upgrade, you are running two 18 gauge wire back to the battery and bringing that full amperage directly to your horn, via the relay. The stock horn switch and wiring are hooked to the relay as well, but they are only used as a control, to activate the relay, which in turn, send the power from the battery to the horns. Plenty of power to work the horns as required, and zero harm to the petite wiring on the bike.

:great: :great: :great:
I totally agree with you, I would run at least 16awg for the power wires from source to relay, and also from relay to horns, heavier the wire, the more reliable the horn....

the puny wires on this bike can handle the low current from the button to actuate the relay, but I would never try to use them for "power"...

I also found it strange, when I was wiring up my trailer hitch and aux lighting, that the power wires for the rear signals, and brakes were even punier, like 20awg, and on top of that, they were aluminum wire... what a pain, couldn't even make a decent solder joint back there, and had to use IDC connectors, and double up the wire using those even...
 >:( >:( :-[

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...