Author Topic: Horn upgrade  (Read 6319 times)

Offline Sailor_chic

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 11610
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: Horn upgrade
« Reply #75 on: July 29, 2018, 06:15:18 pm »
Cough.... ummmmm, Nicole?
Would you build and sell us some more horns???
😇😇😇😇😇😇😇😇

I am starting to think about making some again. It will be a while before I can do anything more physical than my TV remote or computer mouse.
Nicole     Port St Lucie, FL.
2013 C14 Black  
2006 Vmax
IBA # 60267

Offline Donnthegr8

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #76 on: July 29, 2018, 09:19:57 pm »
So your sayin there’s a chance............

Offline ghostrider990

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 12649
« Reply #77 on: July 30, 2018, 12:13:37 pm »
after making my own custom relay harness from scratch, I TOTALLY get why Nicole only does this once a year.  :-X

Total PITA to fabricate each one by hand. 

Be aware you guys are getting a good deal on these for the amount of labor that she puts into each one of these kits, let alone the custom metal brackets!!  :-\

gr
..."I like to keep this handy -- for Close Encounters"...

Offline Donnthegr8

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Northwest Area
« Reply #78 on: July 30, 2018, 01:36:36 pm »
Our love of Nicole’s honkers knows no bounds.....

Offline Sailor_chic

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 11610
« Reply #79 on: July 30, 2018, 02:34:28 pm »
after making my own custom relay harness from scratch, I TOTALLY get why Nicole only does this once a year.  :-X

Be aware you guys are getting a good deal on these for the amount of labor that she puts into each one of these kits, let alone the custom metal brackets!!  :-\

gr

You said a lot there. These wire harnesses are very time consuming. There is a lot of soldering involved.

After I am all healed up, I just might make another 25 sets. I have to check and see if I still have my contact information for purchasing.
Nicole     Port St Lucie, FL.
2013 C14 Black  
2006 Vmax
IBA # 60267

Offline Staylo

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 12548
« Reply #80 on: July 30, 2018, 05:23:25 pm »
You said a lot there. These wire harnesses are very time consuming. There is a lot of soldering involved.

After I am all healed up, I just might make another 25 sets. I have to check and see if I still have my contact information for purchasing.
If possible, I’d be in for a harness and bracket. I already have the horns but need a good way to mount and wire them.
Lancaster County, PA
'11 C14

Offline ghostrider990

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #81 on: July 31, 2018, 10:22:13 am »
Anybody wanna buy a "gently" used set of FIAMs???

only honked once a week, and twice on the weekends.  :rotflmao:

gr

Offline Shawn

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 12217
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #82 on: July 31, 2018, 01:32:03 pm »

gr

Hi Nicole, I hope you are on the mend and doing well.  After 35K on Connie now, I'm realizing the importance of 'letting someone know you're there'.  I'm embarrassed to say I'm still on the OEM horn.  I'm kicking myself for not getting a kit from you back when we first met.  I'm in for the whole shebang if you decide to get back into production.  I wouldn't have to ride far to get one. :)
Run w/ the Bullfrogs - Jan. 4-6
Jennings Track Day - Feb. 8-10

'14 C14 Black

Offline BigRedNewf

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: Northeast Area
« Reply #83 on: July 31, 2018, 03:07:12 pm »
Just picked up a '13 Concours in need of louder horns. I'd be in for a set Nicole if & when your up for it.
Darrin
'13 Concours 14 ABS,
'84 V65 Sabre,
Previous: '86 750 Shadow, '74 Z900, '92 ZX11 '79 GS1100, '79 GS850, '81 CB900C, '80 CB900C, 650 Heritage Sp., 400 Heritage Sp., 400 Maxim, 305 LTD, KZ75

Offline connie_rider

• "OtP" {retired/assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 4154
« Reply #84 on: July 31, 2018, 03:20:37 pm »
Staylo, here is a harness that can be easily modified to fit the C-14.
  (ie; Shorten the wires and add connectors as needed)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XM107FC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&p&sc=1

On my bike, I used the stock bracket and attached the new horns {Using their supplied mounts} using the hole, where the original horn was attached.

This is not as good ad Nicole's, but will work fine.

Ride safe, Ted
14 Connie (Traveler II) / 03 Connie (Buddy)
Gone but not forgotten; 87 and 00 Connies..

If your not already a COGger, "consider becoming one".
Help us make "OtP" possible again!!

Offline ghostrider990

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #85 on: August 05, 2018, 01:20:43 pm »
Chatting with Nicole the other day, I realized something new:  there are more than a few versions of the PIAA horns out there.

Specifically - I'm pretty sure she uses the PIAA Slimline Euro Horns(400-500Hz) in her set due to the more compact size.
https://www.amazon.com/85114-400Hz-500Hz-112db-Sports/dp/B004FXMGLY/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1533478339&sr=1-1&keywords=piaa+slimline

After doing a bit more searching, I came to find out that PIAA also sells a "Sports Horn" set, that boasts a 500-600Hz output, but they are a bit bigger.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00079V5ZI/?coliid=IV2LUTPO4ZEIK&colid=63H2USBZIII2&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

db output for this set is slightly higher than the slimlines at 115db.

For MY application, and mounting location, I have some extra room to play with, so I will likely opt for the SPORTS horns, but all of you trying to utilize the OEM location, will likely need to stick with the Slimline Set.

Just FYI, since I didn't know that PIAA had more than one "Euro" Style horn set available.    :beerchug:

gr

Offline Tim

• Tricycle
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 12654
« Reply #86 on: August 11, 2018, 05:02:38 pm »
Cough.... ummmmm, Nicole?
Would you build and sell us some more horns???
😇😇😇😇😇😇😇😇

I am starting to think about making some again. It will be a while before I can do anything more physical than my TV remote or computer mouse.

I'd be interested on a "plug & play" horn upgrade myself.
I'll never understand why motorcycle manufactures put such pitiful horns on motorcycles.

Offline PeterL

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: Southwest Area
« Reply #87 on: September 09, 2018, 09:58:26 pm »
[disengage cloaking device]

Greetings;

I've been through two C10's, and am happily racking up the miles on my '08 C14. Haven't had a lot to say recently, but I've always appreciated the contributions others have made to the community. Time I did a bit of that methinks...

My motto in life has always been "Anything worth doing is worth OVERdoing" Thus my constant battle to maintain standing as the owner of the most 'weaponised' Connie out there. (LED's, modulators, etc)  I may annoy the cagers, but they have to SEE me first to be annoyed, right? I win. At any rate- horns:

These are only a set of eBay cheapies, but the ARE fairly loud. Also fairly BIG, measuring about 4.7" in diameter. Mounting up inside the plastics didn't really work to my satisfaction, and I wanted to insure the LEAST possible chance of someone being able to pass a lie-detector examination with the phrase "But I didn't hear him your Honor". I decided to use two of the bolt locations already present on the fork legs for line guides. I replaced the two 6mm bolts with longer 6mm studs, then attached two 'rod coupler' units to these. All held with a couple drops of blue threadlock thank you. (Yes there are couplers made with a post at one end and a recess at the other. But out here in the sticks, I'm lucky if the clerk knows what 'metric' means.) The horns were then a simple "spin to install", and I made up a new harness to connect to the horn relay I already had in place.

And that was essentially that. Now anytime I want to alert/scare/induce-an-unscheduled-purchase-of-new-undergarments it's just a brush of the thumb away. And the locations insure that the sound goes EVERYWHERE!

Hoping that someone else may find this of use, thereby incrementally reducing my Karmic burden. Which was, truth be told, mostly incurred as a result of projects like this one. Hmmm...

Cheers all,

Peter L.
Cobb, CA

Offline Hexrays

• Big Wheels
  • COG#: Pending Proc
« Reply #88 on: November 15, 2018, 02:28:53 am »
I purchased this pair of PIAA horns(mostly because it was the same price as a single horn), with the plan to only use one for now. I’m thinking I can just replace the stock horn with one of these units without needing to use a relay. At some point I would like to add the second horn, at which time I know I would need a relay. Am I correct that I can add a single horn without any changes to the wiring?  Thanks!

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00079V5ZI/ref=ya_aw_od_pi?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I just installed two PIAA Sports Horns in the stock location. I did not use a relay. The horns pull 2.7 amps each. Thought there was no need for a relay since the circuit is built for 10 amps. This is working fine for me so far.
2014 C14, Risers, Cee Bailey Windshield, Givi Top case, GTR Ultra Series LED's, PIAA Sports Horns, Kuryakyn Passenger ISO Pegs.

Offline connie_rider

• I Need a Life
« Reply #89 on: November 15, 2018, 02:25:05 pm »
All the amperage is flowing thru the horn button contact.
Adding a relay will assure more amperage at the horns and protect your horn button.

Ride safe, Ted

Offline Hexrays

• Big Wheels
« Reply #90 on: November 15, 2018, 11:35:09 pm »
All the amperage is flowing thru the horn button contact.
Adding a relay will assure more amperage at the horns and protect your horn button.

Ride safe, Ted
So you think this could be an issue Ted? 5.4 amps......
2014 C14, Risers, Cee Bailey Windshield, Givi Top case, GTR Ultra Series LED's, PIAA Sports Horns, Kuryakyn Passenger ISO Pegs.

Offline connie_rider

• I Need a Life
« Reply #91 on: November 16, 2018, 03:53:27 pm »
I honestly don't know the answer to that.
Just know that most go to a relay when adding 2 horns for this reason.

Hopefully, other (more knowledgeable) members will comment?

Ride safe, Ted

Offline Rock

• Road Bike
  • Ride it if you got it!
  • COG#: 5879
« Reply #92 on: November 16, 2018, 05:59:04 pm »
Best to have that relay. If you get into a real need-to-blow-the-horn for more than a couple seconds you could burn out the switch. That is what I was told when i installed my dual PIAAs a couple years ago. You want the relay, full power, "change-their-shorts" power! :)

Phil
Phil
COG5879
2013 C14 "SR71"

Offline Hexrays

• Big Wheels
« Reply #93 on: Yesterday at 04:58:17 pm »
Best to have that relay. If you get into a real need-to-blow-the-horn for more than a couple seconds you could burn out the switch. That is what I was told when i installed my dual PIAAs a couple years ago. You want the relay, full power, "change-their-shorts" power! :)

Phil
:c017:

Offline AwesomeDad

• Tricycle
« Reply #94 on: Yesterday at 10:45:13 pm »
I installed the hella supertones.

JJ