Author Topic: Hyper Lite installation tips for 2014 C-14 -Success. Update: Hyperlite instruct.  (Read 4365 times)

Offline ron203

• Officer
  • Iron Butt
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 9847
  • Membership Level: Area Director
Hi all. I had Hyper Lites on my C-10 installed by the  previous owner and not having them on the new ride is giving me the willies when sitting at stoplights with so many texting drivers all around, so I'm about to order up a new set. I found a couple of threads on the forum with install tips on the 08-09's and maybe a '10. While I doubt Maw Kaw changed anything on the 2014, I thought I'd ask the collective, because subtle updates  do sometimes occur.

Any tips on what to do or as importantly, what NOT to do? I've read the installation instructions on the Hyper Lite site and as usual, "It's easy, quick, and anyone can do it in just a few minutes..." Sure...

Thanks in advance!
Ron
« Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 09:16:25 pm by ron203 »
2014 C-14
2008 Goldwing

Offline seagiant1

• Sport Tourer
  • COG#: 11323
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: Hyper Lite installation tips for 2014 C-14
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2015, 02:10:48 pm »
Hi,
       With the connectors they give you it is actually pretty easy! ;D
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams

"The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it"
"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act." George Orwell

Offline ron203

• Officer
  • Iron Butt
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2015, 02:16:59 pm »
Well, yes, that's what they say, too.  ;D   (found your post on the other site-thanks)

When you did it, were their instructions easy to  translate to the Kaw wiring? That's the most interesting question to me. Which wires are which?
Thanks!
« Last Edit: October 31, 2015, 02:24:01 pm by ron203 »
2014 C-14
2008 Goldwing

Offline seagiant1

• Sport Tourer
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2015, 03:58:24 pm »
Hi,
        Yes they should give instructions for install on the C14!

Here is the info I used as a guide.

Just go for it and you will laugh at yourself when you are done.

Just try to keep the wiring neat and take your time, you will be fine!

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=2505
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams

"The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it"
"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act." George Orwell

Offline Ratherberiding

• Moped
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 10482
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2015, 05:34:38 pm »
I took the 16 led Pre units off My BMW and put on my 2012....Couldn't be happier. Mine flash once I grab the brake until I release the handle...Awesome  running lights as well. li

Offline diablo6v

• Scooter
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2015, 10:20:17 pm »
I just installed mine last weekend. I used shrink tubing to keep all the wires together. I drilled a hole in the fender between the two mounting holes for the license plate bracket. I used a spacer (washers) to keep the hyperlight bracket from crushing the wire. I ran the wire through the hole, mounted the bracket to the license plate frame. I ran the wire with the license plate light wire up into the tail piece. Zip tied the two wires. Then followed the wiring instructions. Works awesome for tailgating.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2015, 12:47:02 pm by diablo6v »

Offline ron203

• Officer
  • Iron Butt
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2015, 11:05:34 pm »
Thanks guys. I'll order those up and let you know how it goes.   :beerchug:
Ron
2014 C-14
2008 Goldwing

Offline Rock

• Road Bike
  • Ride it if you got it!
  • COG#: 5879
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2015, 12:01:48 am »
Yeah Ron, you the 'lectric guy! Then we'll do mine
Phil
COG5879
2013 C14 "SR71"

Offline ron203

• Officer
  • Iron Butt
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2015, 12:05:48 am »
Let's do YOURS first....  :D
2014 C-14
2008 Goldwing

Offline rmills944

• Mini Bike
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2015, 09:06:57 pm »
Man, I just wired in my old hyperlite module from my old bike into the new one this weekend. I should have got a picture. The difference in mine was I let the hyperlites go with the totalled bike and just wired in their flasher to the regular brake light - works VERY well!

Hyperlite directions: http://www.hyperlites.com/instal/INSTALL%20Both%20HL%20DF%20UNIVERSAL%20all%20HL%20and%20DF%20S16%20twist%20tap.pdf

Wiring on the 2014 - http://www.cog-online.org/clubportal/clubdocs/1328/C14_2010_Wire_Diag.pdf

THESE 2 POWER THE UNIT
Constant power - Red _ This will go to gray on the module
Ground - Black/Yellow _ This will go to black on the module

THIS ONE FEEDS OUT TO THE BRAKE
I just wired the output to brake to the blue instead of using the hyperlites - you could use all 3 if you wanted.
Tail Light - Blue _ This will be Red on the module if you choose to flash the built-in tail light. Otherwise this goes to your hyperlites powering the red bulbs

THESE ARE THE TURN SIGNALS
The turn signals (if you have the 3 way) are the brown and blue wires - you'll have to play with those 2 to find which is right and left.
Left Turn - Green (Connects to Green before the connector)
Right Turn - Green (connects to gray before the connector)

« Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 09:18:48 pm by rmills944 »
If it ain't fast and won't corner... Crome it.

Offline ron203

• Officer
  • Iron Butt
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2015, 01:56:09 am »
Thank you rmmills944. I've ordered my lights and  they should be here Thursday. Looks like a rainy day on Saturday.
Ron
2014 C-14
2008 Goldwing

Offline C. Moore

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 6662
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2015, 11:06:05 am »
I cut the bracket in two and mounted them under my back plate horizontally next to the brake light. Gives it a light bar effect going across the back. I had them on my old C10 as well. Easy install.
'10 C14  Dallas, Texas
CDA #523
COG# 6662

Offline rmills944

• Mini Bike
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2015, 12:59:18 pm »
ron, did you get the 3-way or just the flasher from them?
If it ain't fast and won't corner... Crome it.

Offline ron203

• Officer
  • Iron Butt
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2015, 10:22:47 pm »
Just the flashers
2014 C-14
2008 Goldwing

Offline ron203

• Officer
  • Iron Butt
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2015, 10:24:35 pm »
C-Moore, I've got the bracket coming. I'm thinking use it as is so I get a triangle brake light effect that some many people are accustomed to looking for. I'm pretty alert and I find it hard to "see" brake lights with one of the three triangle (top, left, or right) is out. Especially when the top  is out.
2014 C-14
2008 Goldwing

Offline C. Moore

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 6662
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2015, 11:10:11 am »
That will work Ron. Hyperlights are a great be seen addition to the stock brake light.
'10 C14  Dallas, Texas
CDA #523
COG# 6662

Offline ron203

• Officer
  • Iron Butt
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2015, 05:06:05 pm »

Hyperlite directions: http://www.hyperlites.com/instal/INSTALL%20Both%20HL%20DF%20UNIVERSAL%20all%20HL%20and%20DF%20S16%20twist%20tap.pdf

Wiring on the 2014 - http://www.cog-online.org/clubportal/clubdocs/1328/C14_2010_Wire_Diag.pdf

THESE 2 POWER THE UNIT
Constant power - Red _ This will go to gray on the module
Ground - Black/Yellow _ This will go to black on the module

THIS ONE FEEDS OUT TO THE BRAKE
I just wired the output to brake to the blue instead of using the hyperlites - you could use all 3 if you wanted.
Tail Light - Blue _ This will be Red on the module if you choose to flash the built-in tail light. Otherwise this goes to your hyperlites powering the red bulbs

Okay. Success. You guys were both helpful and right. Not hard, just a change or two that the HyperLite people need to incorporate in their directions. I'll start a new reply with more details.
2014 C-14
2008 Goldwing

Offline ron203

• Officer
  • Iron Butt
The wiring directions say for Kawasaki: to connect the Hyper-Lite power wire (Red for brake) to the Kawa wire which is Blue w/Red stripe (this is wrong on my 2014), yours may differ. The actual Kawa wire on the brake light bundle on my bike is solid blue with NO stripe.  The other kit directions are accurate. (Left/right reference hereafter are relative to sitting on the bike looking forward).

The link in this thread http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=2505 provided by other posters was very helpful, particularly showing the general vicinity of the wiring bundle for the brakes, since this was the first time I had been under the seat for anything.  It was also helpful to confirm with the wiring diagram someone posted. Thanks!

What is also helpful to know for this job, is how to get to that place under the seat where the wiring will take place

Start by taking out the tool tray (4 allen screws) and set it aside.

Lift the two connectors out of the foam block on the right side and set that aside.  You'll need the space in a minute.

Then lift the ECU block up gently and slide forward out of the way. It'll sit where the tool tray was.  The unit has two side pieces that fit over two tabs that stick up. Do not disconnect any of these blocks.

Now you can work relatively unimpeded.

On the top of the rear fender liner there is a rib running front to back on both left and right sides. The ECU sits between them. The light kit has a flasher that you have to wire in and mount someplace. I put mine on the OUTSIDE of the rib on the right side, and somewhat behind where the ECU mounts with the wires facing forward so it will not get in the way of anything I removed when I go to put them back. Clean the mounting point on the fender top with alcohol and let it dry. The flasher mounts with sticky tape, too. You can stick the flasher on when it dries with the wires toward the front. Don't trim them yet. Wait, you'll soon tie the lights and the flasher together.

I bought the license plate bracket ($10). It has an "ear" on each end where you can mount the lights. I chose to put the ears forward so the lights would be out of the way and sort of under the top case. The tail light and two Hyper-Lites will now make a triangle stop light like car drivers expect to see. All of them are under the Givi case and should be in the shade on a sunny day. It won't matter, but I like the idea.

Each Hyper light mounts to the bracket with auto trim tape, so clean the bracket mounts with alcohol and let them dry. I stuck the lights on the bracket, pulled the wired together up under the tag light and drilled a hole in the fender.

I tied the lights together with a small wire tie and used a couple of 4" heat shrink tubes to protect them where they go through the fender and then up through the second hole I drilled to the ECU area. There is already one hole there where the original tail light goes in. I masked the wire tie with electrical tape so it blends into the darkness under the tag and the wiring can't be seen. I used a couple of shrink tube wraps to protect the small Hyper Light wires (they look about 20 gauge) all the way into and up through the fender to the under seat area. Looks neat, too.

I mounted the lights/bracket/tag as one piece to the tag bracket, being very careful to center the bracket behind the tag so it's nice and symetrical. The wires go into the fender behind the tag under the tag light and then up. They cannot be seen standing behind the bike. That's the way the OEM light goes, too.

I ran the wires up under the seat, measured off about 8" of play in all of them and cut them. Strip the wire ends 1/2" and use the connectors provided in the kit to tie them together. (don't drop any of the pieces..ask me why I know). Now back to the OEM wiring bundle.

Everything under there is all nicely wrapped in black tape so it was helpful to know where to look. At first I looked at the wrong wiring. Time to check the thread (thanks guys) OOPS, but I didn't cut it. I came back to this thread and looked at the Admore wiring link. The wiring bundle you want is way over on the right side and mine was secured under a bendable tab. The bundles was wrapped in black tape and the tab bent over it. Pull the tab up and the wiring bundle once freed, has enough slack to work with. (I think Maw Kaw saw this coming..)

I carefully slit the tape and sure enough there were the wires - except the Blue w/Red stripe one mentioned in the HyperLite instructions is actually just Blue. Using the Posi-taps, I connected the PREVIOUSLY connected HyperLites harness to the bike. (Note: If you haven't use Pos-Twists, you twist the wires together first, then using the connector makes it stronger. Using the Pos-TAPS, don't twist the wire ends, because the connector needs the additional surface.)

Just for good measure, I dabbed 30 year clear silicon/acrylic caulk around the hole under the ECU mount to block road spray, even though the OEM hole wasn't tight either. Never hurts to isolate electrical things from water and that fat rear tire does throw some spray. Found that out this week.

Cranked her up and I have flashing lights when I brake!

Taped up all the wires and connectors nice and neatly with black tape so it looks like I was never in there. Put the brake bundle back under the tab on the right side, put the ECU back into place in the middle, put the foam block back into place on the right with the wires that came out of it, and reinstalled the tool tray in front of the ECU. Took a minute to scoff at the pitiful tool kit. What a joke.

A side benefit of the job was I also found the rear electrical connectors for add -on accessories that I have been thinking about. They were taped up with black tape and hidden under the cross bar of the frame back of the tank and and in front of the tool tray. I'll use them another day. I plan to put a charging point for phones and helmet communicators in the top case.

Put the seat on, returned the tools to storage, and put the left bag on.

Total time  was about two hours. Most of it was spent gathering tools, finding the heat gun, the caulk, the electric drill, spilling my coffee, getting my coffee off the floor so I didn't sit in it, scratching my head and about 5 minutes retrieving half a Posi-Tap that Ol' Fumble Fingers dropped on wire connection #6.  Of course it went in a hole too small for my wife's hands who gave it a good try. I covered an Allen wrench with duct tape and fished it out.

I thank you guys for your help and if I can be of assistance, ridicule, or be an object of derision, let me know!  But I'll feel much safer next time I am waiting for a light to change and a car comes up behind me.   ;)

Ron
So, all done.  (Rock, we can do yours now. I'll work for beer....)   :beerchug:
« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 06:12:11 pm by ron203 »
2014 C-14
2008 Goldwing

Offline seagiant1

• Sport Tourer
Hi,
       Told ya! ;D

Scarest thing for me in Florida, is stopped at a red light and see an 80 yr. old lady. :o

Wearing those cateract sunglasses, behind the wheel of a Cadillac approaching! :truce:

MAYBE with the Hyperlights she won't push you across the Intersection! :great:

Offline ron203

• Officer
  • Iron Butt
For sure! I live in between about 4 high schools, 4 middle schools, and about 10 grade schools. Around here  it's a toss up between texting teens, giggling girls, macho males, and distracted moms delivering kids to soccer. You see a Honda with a pink tag on the front or a mini-van behind you and the seat puckers....

Thank you for the help and encouragement.
2014 C-14
2008 Goldwing

Offline Rock

• Road Bike
  • Ride it if you got it!
  • COG#: 5879
Ron

Great write up. Look forward to doing this or similar with your expert assistance.
I'll put the coffee on!  :great:

Phil
COG5879
2013 Blue Connie
Phil
COG5879
2013 C14 "SR71"

Offline connie_rider

• "OtP" {retired/assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • COG#: 4154
Seeing the Hyper Light discussion I thought I'd throw in a thought for the frugal.

Recently I purchased a flasher/strobe unit from Ebay in the hopes of flashing the trunk lights when I apply the brake.
  (Note; I have LED Lights on my Trunk Bag).

Today I installed the unit on my trunk light wiring.
Was EZ to do.. (added the unit to the brake and ground wires)

Works great.   :great:
  Each time I apply the brake, the trunk (Brake) lights flash;
             4 times quickly,
                4 times slowly,
                   and then stay on.

Total cost for the flasher /strobe unit was $2.50 $3.95!!  ;)

Anyone interested?

Ride safe, Ted
« Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 01:31:31 am by connie_rider »
14 Connie (Traveler II) / 03 Connie (Buddy)
Gone but not forgotten; 87 and 00 Connies..

If your not already a COGger, "consider becoming one".
Help us make "OtP" possible again!!

Offline JS_racer

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: North Central Area
http://www.vizi-tec.com/supabrake-2/

not 3$ though, i have this on both my bikes, its much smarter than a blink all modulator.

Offline mattchewn

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 10993
http://www.vizi-tec.com/supabrake-2/

not 3$ though, i have this on both my bikes, its much smarter than a blink all modulator.

Big plus one on the Vizi Tec. Been on my connie for 2 1/2 years now. works perfectly and I can change the flash pattern any time I like to make sure to annoy as many cagers as possible in the least amount of time. That way when they hit me (intentionally), I know they saw me! !!!   :))

Matt

Plug and play for the C14 too! not cutting or splicing
2018 H2 SXSE.  (FAT SXSE)
2011 GSX1250 FA
2009 Ninja 500R. (wifes')
2001 Bandit 650  (kids')

Offline ron203

• Officer
  • Iron Butt
Looked over the Hyper Lites installation instructions again. Seems you can clip the "green wire" which loops out of and back into the flasher unit and tie it off. The lights then blink for 5 seconds and then go to a steady burn. I'll look into that tomorrow.

( Update - Did this today in about 5 minutes including pulling the seat and toolbox tray. If I had done this before I installed the flasher, it would have been even more quick and simple. The lights flash rapidly for 5 seconds and then go solid until the brake is released. At the next brake activation, the cycle begins again. If you want to signal a car coming up release and rebrake. If a car is back there, just hold on until the light changes.)
« Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 09:20:02 pm by ron203, Reason: Update with how to break the flash cycle »
2014 C-14
2008 Goldwing