Author Topic: Hyper Lite installation tips for 2014 C-14 -Success. Update: Hyperlite instruct.  (Read 4369 times)

Offline robertv

• Street Cruiser
  • Go Hawks!
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Ron,

Thanks for the info and thread! After having some close calls recently, I'm now going to this important safety farkle. I just bought motoreflective kit and now want to add this next. What was the price/model of the HyperLite you used? Any pics of the install process and mount?

I found another related thread and curious how the SNGL3, Whelen TIR3 compares to this.

Thanks again for info and input!
2008 C14, silver [current]
2000 C10, red [sold]

Offline ron203

• Officer
  • Iron Butt
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 9847
  • Membership Level: Area Director
Afraid I didn't take pictures. My bad. I'd take some now, but I taped it all up before I thought. But it's not  hard to do the installation.

The set I used was the U32 LED brake flasher only. http://www.hyperlites.com/stdbo.html   $73.95 plus $10.50 for the tag bracket (optional). They are REALLY bright.

Seagiant posted a link to another thread http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=2505 that was installing some other lights that showed the area in play for the wiring. The only difference is (I think) a different colored wire on the bike (mine was solid blue from the diagram someone shared with me in the thread-thanks!) than on the instructions. 

Basically if you take the seat off and stand on the left side and look down, you can remove the tool kit, slide out the ECU (don't unplug it-just slide it forward).

Look over and to the right and lift out the foam block with two plugs on the opposite side. You'll look down and see some tape wrapped wires. Gently peel the tape off a couple of inches and you will see the wires you need to tap. Slight change from the HyperLite instructions, so check the thread for the wire diagram for the Connie.

Not hard, just take your time and think about it as you. If I can do it, anyone can. (Oh and if you want the flash to go 5 seconds, then go to a steady burn, follow the HyperLite direction to clip and tie off the green wire loop that comes out and goes back into the flasher. Do that before you mount the flasher and it'll be easier to get to.
2014 C-14
2008 Goldwing

Offline robertv

• Street Cruiser
  • Go Hawks!
Thanks Ron and all. Today will be C14 maintenance fun...I received the Hyperlites and will be installing these soon. I've looked over the bike and instructions and agree it looks pretty easy. I'm going to cut the green loopback wire to get the 5 sec flash then steady light. Already have the seat removed, tool tray, foam and ECU placed aside. The link & info from Seagiant and Maxtog on the other forum are helpful!

Just gathering my tools, charging the drill battery and making some extra coffee. I'm also doing the onboard computer display mod so I don't have to fiddle with it while riding (only applies to 08-09 models). Here's a link for those that have the earlier models...

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=6597.0

Here we go...
2000 C10, red [sold]

Offline ron203

• Officer
  • Iron Butt
 :popcorncouple:

Do better than the OP, get pictures!!
2014 C-14
2008 Goldwing

Offline seagiant1

• Sport Tourer
  • COG#: 11323
  • Membership Level: Active
Hi,
        Not a bad job and almost mandantory in Florida! :great:

Just try to put the wires back in a neat fashion! :-[

Might keep a white haired old lady in a caddy,  wearing those cateract sunglasses, from going up yer kister at a red light! ;D ;D ;D ;
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams

"The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it"
"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act." George Orwell

Offline E J

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 10599
Do the color of the wires on C14's change from year model to year? Or are they the same? I just ordered my Hyper Lites and can't wait to get them hooked up.
COG#10599

Happy to be here!:)

Offline robertv

• Street Cruiser
  • Go Hawks!
What year of C14 do you have? The instructions they provided in the kit matched what I had (2008), but the online PDF instructions appeared to be the for the newer years ('10 and up?).

As Ron stated above, just take your time and think it through. He hit it right on with the info including SG's thread too. Wasn't hard and the only part that took time was where to route the cables and the lights.
2000 C10, red [sold]

Offline ron203

• Officer
  • Iron Butt
Make sure you check the links that SG contributed because one of them has a link to the wiring schematic. Zoom in on that and blow it up so you can see the details and over near the right side of the schematic is a diagram for the tail light/brakelight assembly.
2014 C-14
2008 Goldwing

Offline Bonedizzle

• Bicycle
  • AREA: North Central Area
http://www.vizi-tec.com/supabrake-2/

not 3$ though, i have this on both my bikes, its much smarter than a blink all modulator.

Big plus one on the Vizi Tec. Been on my connie for 2 1/2 years now. works perfectly and I can change the flash pattern any time I like to make sure to annoy as many cagers as possible in the least amount of time. That way when they hit me (intentionally), I know they saw me! !!!   :))

Matt

Plug and play for the C14 too! not cutting or splicing

I havent looked or done any research, but I want one of these. Where is the plug for the tail light, under the seat?

Offline mattchewn

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 10993
Bonedizzle,
The plug is inside a rubber boot that is actually up under the tail section. Remove the seat, toolbox, (4 screws), and then pop up the ecu and relay module to gain access. then you can reach under and grab the "boot" full of wires and there in lies the plug you seek.
Matt
2018 H2 SXSE.  (FAT SXSE)
2011 GSX1250 FA
2009 Ninja 500R. (wifes')
2001 Bandit 650  (kids')

Offline connie_rider

• "OtP" {retired/assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 4154
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
Just came across this in Ebay if anyone is interested?
(Bonedizzle) It's the Suprabrake hook up that JC-Racer recommended. Came off a damaged Connie.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/08-15-KAWASAKI-CONCOURS-14-ZG1400C-ABS-Brake-Light-Module-/181808798208?hash=item2a54a61a00:g:PDcAAOSw3ydVrQg8&vxp=mtr

Ride safe, Ted
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 02:45:08 pm by connie_rider »
14 Connie (Traveler II) / 03 Connie (Buddy)
Gone but not forgotten; 87 and 00 Connies..

If your not already a COGger, "consider becoming one".
Help us make "OtP" possible again!!

Offline JS_racer

• Street Cruiser
(Bonedizzle) It's a Suprabrake hook up from a damaged Connie.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/08-15-KAWASAKI-CONCOURS-14-ZG1400C-ABS-Brake-Light-Module-/181808798208?hash=item2a54a61a00:g:PDcAAOSw3ydVrQg8&vxp=mtr

Ride safe, Ted

:great:  i have those in each of my bikes, work great and tons of positive feedback from fellow riders

Offline Bonedizzle

• Bicycle
Thanks for the heads up, but at $55 shipped the price difference isn't enough for me to spring for a used piece of electronics.

(Bonedizzle) It's the Suprabrake hook up that JC-Racer recommended. Came off a damaged Connie.

Ride safe, Ted