Author Topic: Installing a Projekt D Radiator Guard  (Read 5449 times)

Offline WillyP

• I Need a Life
  • Live Free Or Die
    • Suncook Carpentry
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 8799
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: Installing a Projekt D Radiator Guard
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2012, 03:28:23 pm »
You aren't limited to four pictures in the article. See here: How to use the wiki And an example of how to do this: Make Your Own Windshield

What function is not working?
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.
pics

Offline ZG

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 9735
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2012, 03:40:59 pm »
Looks good. Good choice on the powder coating.  I was thinking about one myself to put on my 2011 Silver. Question? Do you guys think its really necessary?  Thanks

Yes, having it powder coated black is necessary...  ;)
BAD A$$ isn't cheap, and cheap isn't BAD A$$...

Offline Zap

• Big Wheels
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2012, 07:01:27 pm »
Is the sreen necessary, not the powder coating....

Offline Cap'n Bob

• GOLD STAR
  • COG#: 7134
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2012, 07:52:13 pm »
Yeah, I suggest installing a protective radiator screen. (I used a Cox Racing guard) The powder coating is more of an option! 

Offline Glennn

• Mini Bike
    • Metric Rider
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 9940
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2012, 10:21:38 pm »
Question? Do you guys think its really necessary?  Thanks

Zap, this is what I posted in another forum:

I figure that both impact and puncture damage potential would be lowered by the guard even on that part of the guard at the sides where it is sitting more flat to the radiator, and in particular for impact the guard would likely make the difference between slightly crushed fins and outright road-side stranding radiator damage.

Also, IMO, some protection is better than none.

You aren't limited to four pictures in the article. See here: How to use the wiki

Ahhh I see now, sneaky way around the original post 4x attachment limit.  I'll keep that in mind for next time.

Oops, missed that my text didn't work.  The lists function, both numeric and dot points, the list and li code would go in but when I would preview it wouldn't show the dot points etc.
2012 Midnight Sapphire Blue 1400GTR
1999 Yamaha Road Star
Canberra, Australia
CDA #390

Offline ChipDoc

• Sport Tourer
  • Work to ride - Ride to work!
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 9934
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2012, 11:37:07 pm »
    Quote from: Glennn link=topic=31864.msg153434#msg153434

Oops, missed that my text didn't work.  The lists function, both numeric and dot points, the list and li code would go in but when I would preview it wouldn't show the dot points etc.
    Did you remember to use the close tag for [/list] ?

• Just
    • Testing
    • Here

• Works
    • This
    • Way
    • Too

Pop it in right after that final tag like this: [/li][/list]

Offline Glennn

• Mini Bike
      • Metric Rider
    « Reply #31 on: January 28, 2012, 11:39:38 pm »
    G'day CD,

Yeah did all that but no dice.  Just posted another wiki article up and same result.
    1999 Yamaha Road Star
    Canberra, Australia
    CDA #390

Offline ChipDoc

• Sport Tourer
    • Work to ride - Ride to work!
    • AREA: Southeast Area
    • COG#: 9934
    « Reply #32 on: January 28, 2012, 11:49:22 pm »
    I'm not sure what's going on there, Glennn but the new Wiki article you posted about the lowering kit looks great - Thanks!

http://forum.cog-online.org/index.php/topic,31956.0/topicseen.html

Offline WillyP

• I Need a Life
    • Live Free Or Die
      • Suncook Carpentry
    « Reply #33 on: January 29, 2012, 11:28:36 pm »
    Glenn I took a look and this is what you have:

Code: [Select]
    [list][li]1. First thing you need to do is get the circlip off the bolt holding the pillion foot peg in place. Use either a flat head screwdriver, or in my case a ring expander, to pull/push the circlip free. Just be careful, if this thing flies off you will spend a while crawling your garage floor looking for it.[/li][/list]
    [list][li]2. As you remove the pin for the foot peg just be sure to hold everything together.  There is a small ball bearing in the foot peg that can be easily lost as you reposition it to the equivalent location on the relocation kit. If you get confused just compare against the peg on the other side of the bike.[/li][/list]
    [list][li]3. Install the foot peg into the bottom of the relocation bracket and insert the bolt that comes with the kit, but don't tighten yet.[/li][/list]
    [list][li]4. Now install the relocation kit onto the original peg mounting point.  On the exhaust side of the bike you now need to check clearance in relation to the muffler.[/li][/list]
    [list][li]5. [i]If the bottom of the bracket is touching the muffler [/i] (I ran into this problem on my 2012, earlier years or after-market slip-ons shouldn't be an issue), you need to reposition the exhaust system.  Do this by loosening - but not removing - the bolts at: the midpipe where it connects to the header pipe, the mounting point near the rider's footrest, and the bracket holding the muffler to the rear foot peg. Now twist and pull the muffler back as far as the mounting points will allow.  It won't be much, less than half a centimetre, but the goal here is to twist/move the muffler away from the relocation kit.  Once satisfied tighten everything back up snug paying extra attention not to over-tighten the clamp on the midpipe to header pipe.[/li][/list]

I think what you want is this:
    [list type=decimal][li]1. First thing you need to do is get the circlip off the bolt holding the pillion foot peg in place. Use either a flat head screwdriver, or in my case a ring expander, to pull/push the circlip free. Just be careful, if this thing flies off you will spend a while crawling your garage floor looking for it.[/li]
    [li]As you remove the pin for the foot peg just be sure to hold everything together.  There is a small ball bearing in the foot peg that can be easily lost as you reposition it to the equivalent location on the relocation kit. If you get confused just compare against the peg on the other side of the bike.[/li]
    [li] Install the foot peg into the bottom of the relocation bracket and insert the bolt that comes with the kit, but don't tighten yet.[/li]
    [li]Now install the relocation kit onto the original peg mounting point.  On the exhaust side of the bike you now need to check clearance in relation to the muffler.[/li]
    [li] [i]If the bottom of the bracket is touching the muffler [/i](I ran into this problem on my 2012, earlier years or after-market slip-ons shouldn't be an issue), you need to reposition the exhaust system.  Do this by loosening - but not removing - the bolts at: the midpipe where it connects to the header pipe, the mounting point near the rider's footrest, and the bracket holding the muffler to the rear foot peg. Now twist and pull the muffler back as far as the mounting points will allow.  It won't be much, less than half a centimetre, but the goal here is to twist/move the muffler away from the relocation kit.  Once satisfied tighten everything back up snug paying extra attention not to over-tighten the clamp on the midpipe to header pipe.[/li][/list]

Which will produce this:

• 1. First thing you need to do is get the circlip off the bolt holding the pillion foot peg in place. Use either a flat head screwdriver, or in my case a ring expander, to pull/push the circlip free. Just be careful, if this thing flies off you will spend a while crawling your garage floor looking for it.
    • As you remove the pin for the foot peg just be sure to hold everything together.  There is a small ball bearing in the foot peg that can be easily lost as you reposition it to the equivalent location on the relocation kit. If you get confused just compare against the peg on the other side of the bike.
    • Install the foot peg into the bottom of the relocation bracket and insert the bolt that comes with the kit, but don't tighten yet.
    • Now install the relocation kit onto the original peg mounting point.  On the exhaust side of the bike you now need to check clearance in relation to the muffler.
    • If the bottom of the bracket is touching the muffler (I ran into this problem on my 2012, earlier years or after-market slip-ons shouldn't be an issue), you need to reposition the exhaust system.  Do this by loosening - but not removing - the bolts at: the midpipe where it connects to the header pipe, the mounting point near the rider's footrest, and the bracket holding the muffler to the rear foot peg. Now twist and pull the muffler back as far as the mounting points will allow.  It won't be much, less than half a centimetre, but the goal here is to twist/move the muffler away from the relocation kit.  Once satisfied tighten everything back up snug paying extra attention not to over-tighten the clamp on the midpipe to header pipe.

It works here anyway, I'll edit your wiki article to make sure it works there too.
    « Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 12:07:37 am by WillyP »
    pics

Offline WillyP

• I Need a Life
    • Live Free Or Die
      • Suncook Carpentry
    « Reply #34 on: January 29, 2012, 11:45:05 pm »
    I see the problem, working on finding a solution.

Edit:  Fixed.

Thanks for reporting this, and for being patient while the bugs are worked out.
    « Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 11:56:33 pm by WillyP »
    pics

Offline Glennn

• Mini Bike
      • Metric Rider
    « Reply #35 on: January 30, 2012, 12:26:21 am »
    G'day WillyP,

I see you saw my temporary workaround.

I see the problem, working on finding a solution.

Edit:  Fixed.

Thanks for reporting this, and for being patient while the bugs are worked out.

You're >thiiiiis close<  I just previewed a new wiki article - numbered lists now work, but dot point lists don't.
    1999 Yamaha Road Star
    Canberra, Australia
    CDA #390

Offline WillyP

• I Need a Life
    • Live Free Or Die
      • Suncook Carpentry
    « Reply #36 on: January 30, 2012, 12:40:42 pm »
    Default in the wiki is no list decoration. If you want a decoration you have to specify the type. Possible types are disc, circle, square, decimal, decimal-leading-zero, lower-roman, upper-roman, lower-alpha, upper-alpha, lower-greek, lower-latin, upper-latin, hebrew, armenian, georgian, cjk-ideographic, hiragana, katakana, hiragana-iroha and katakana-iroha. (according to the help documentation, I haven't test all of them)

To specify a dot, use:
    [list type=disc]
    I edited Installing a Projekt D Pillion Footpeg Lowering Kit to have discs on the first three lists, to test.
    « Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 12:42:58 pm by WillyP »
    pics

Offline Glennn

• Mini Bike
      • Metric Rider
    « Reply #37 on: January 30, 2012, 08:47:58 pm »
    No worries, Willy.  Thanks for the help.
    1999 Yamaha Road Star
    Canberra, Australia
    CDA #390