Author Topic: Installing Denali D2's on my 2012 Concours  (Read 7057 times)

Offline Woody

• Tricycle
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 12243
  • Membership Level: Active
Installing Denali D2's on my 2012 Concours
« on: March 01, 2016, 12:17:49 am »
Have a new set of Denali D2's to put on my bike. Should I buy a powerhub to install from? Where and how should I install these to my bike? Newbie at this and all help would be appreciated

Offline mattchewn

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 10993
Re: Installing Denali D2's on my 2012 Concours
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2016, 12:29:52 am »
Woody,
First you need to know what you want to be seeing with them. Where do you want the majority of their light to be focused?  Down low  and wide? More to the sides and less distance?  This will have a lot to do with where to locate the lights.  I use HID in my stock headlights and mondomotos mounted using the front fender threaded bolt hole as the mount point. This gives a fairly wide spread of light down low with a mid range distant of throw. My HID's take care of the longer range throw. These should not blind oncoming traffic if aimed properly. Spacing lights in a "triangle" of sorts also will aid in having other motorists being able to see you at longer distances as well.
Matt
2018 H2 SXSE.  (FAT SXSE)
2011 GSX1250 FA
2009 Ninja 500R. (wifes')
2001 Bandit 650  (kids')

Offline Woody

• Tricycle
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2016, 02:17:24 am »
Distance should be ok. I need coverage off the sides of the road along with  distance. I live in a high deer population area.

Offline JTX

• Crotch Rocket
  • TEXAS 2015 ZG14
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2016, 02:29:17 am »
Distance should be ok. I need coverage off the sides of the road along with  distance. I live in a high deer population area.

Not riding at night will significantly improve your chances in living a long life as a motorcyclist.

Though if one must to commute, I tend to think lower power lights should be mounted lower as they wont 'see' far anyways. And less glare for cars etc. 

This is not scientific, Just how I would approach it.  The ones you see in my avatar are meant to make night into day.  But must be shut off for oncoming traffic on a two lane road.

Offline Woody

• Tricycle
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2016, 02:53:32 am »
No must to riding at night just do not like limiting my riding to daylight hrs only. The Denali D2's I have are as bright as what you have mounted on your bike I would be willing to bet. I asked a question about using a powerhub and mounting directions. I have ridden for 45 yrs, don't really need childish comments on riding a mc.

Offline Woody

• Tricycle
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2016, 02:57:07 am »
No must to riding at night just do not like limiting my riding to daylight hrs only. The Denali D2's I have are as bright as what you have mounted on your bike I would be willing to bet. I asked a question about using a powerhub and mounting directions. I have ridden for 45 yrs, don't really need childish comments on riding a mc.
          Just noticed your avatar and I am sure you Clearwater led's are brighter than the Denalis I have but 300.00 vs 1000.00 and for someone who doesn't ride at night seems a waste to me....

Offline Udoggie

• Scooter
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 10480
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2016, 03:12:01 am »
FYI, when I had my C14, I mounted my D2's on my canyon cage bars with round bar clamps.

It kept them fairly low, and pushed out quite a bit of light down the road.

-UD

Offline ghostrider990

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Southeast Area
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2016, 03:32:30 am »
          Just noticed your avatar and I am sure you Clearwater led's are brighter than the Denalis I have but 300.00 vs 1000.00 and for someone who doesn't ride at night seems a waste to me....

Wow...six posts, and guns blazing already!!

Somebody forgot to say "please".  :-X

My Horns have Horns.

Offline JTX

• Crotch Rocket
  • TEXAS 2015 ZG14
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2016, 03:38:26 am »

Calm down Francis. Don't make assumptions. I'm glad you looked up the specs on the CWL's and posted the followup.    The Erica's I have installed are not the only option from CWL. There is a less expensive model to mount to the forks.

First, Surviving TODAY has everything to do with being seen during the daytime. If you dont understand that then you don't know as much as you purport to know with your 45 years of riding experience.  I also don't care if you've ridden for a 100 years, it wont help you with the unpredictability of Deer.  And in my opinion, spooking deer with bright lights is not always a good idea unless you got lots of lead time to see them first and have serious light output to light up a significant section of the highway in front of you at speed.

Second, the point of my CWL installation was for daytime visibility and the unfortunate times I might get  to a hotel room later than I expect on a dark canyon road in the rocky mountains. I avoid night time riding in almost any case.  Motorcycles get lost in a sea of DRL's on cars on a regular basis during the day, so my goal was to help myself stand out a bit during the daytime and they've already proven themselves in the short time I've had them installed with left turning motorists and other riders who are intrigued about them when they see them. There is absolutely nothing wasted.

I answered your question in my initial reply and provided my opinion.  However you should check your ego as this forum is full of opinions and life experiences different from yours.  Anyways, I'll cut it short, but you could still learn a thing or two from someone who's "only' Ridden 22 years.

Welcome to the forum. :beerchug:

« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 03:42:22 am by JTX »

Offline henerythe8th

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 12226
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2016, 03:46:58 am »
Have a new set of Denali D2's to put on my bike. Should I buy a powerhub to install from? Where and how should I install these to my bike? Newbie at this and all help would be appreciated

You will discover that connections to the battery on this bike are a relative PITA.
If you plan to add anything more than very low draw electrical gizmos, then my opinion is that you will want an auxiliary fuse panel (or other power distribution) sooner than later.
I installed a fuseblock from Eastern Beaver with and without switched power. Used the same setup on a different bike, good price, quality product, sized right and works well.

Your mileage may vary depending on your wants and needs relative to the mounting location. A couple of long leads attached to the lights and trial positioning them in front of the garage may be your best bet. Once you figure out where you like them, then figure out how to mount them near there.
2013 C14

Offline Woody

• Tricycle
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2016, 07:32:10 am »
Thank you. The answers I was looking for....

Offline Woody

• Tricycle
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2016, 07:46:21 am »

Calm down Francis. Don't make assumptions. I'm glad you looked up the specs on the CWL's and posted the followup.    The Erica's I have installed are not the only option from CWL. There is a less expensive model to mount to the forks.

First, Surviving TODAY has everything to do with being seen during the daytime. If you dont understand that then you don't know as much as you purport to know with your 45 years of riding experience.  I also don't care if you've ridden for a 100 years, it wont help you with the unpredictability of Deer.  And in my opinion, spooking deer with bright lights is not always a good idea unless you got lots of lead time to see them first and have serious light output to light up a significant section of the highway in front of you at speed.

Second, the point of my CWL installation was for daytime visibility and the unfortunate times I might get  to a hotel room later than I expect on a dark canyon road in the rocky mountains. I avoid night time riding in almost any case.  Motorcycles get lost in a sea of DRL's on cars on a regular basis during the day, so my goal was to help myself stand out a bit during the daytime and they've already proven themselves in the short time I've had them installed with left turning motorists and other riders who are intrigued about them when they see them. There is absolutely nothing wasted.

I answered your question in my initial reply and provided my opinion.  However you should check your ego as this forum is full of opinions and life experiences different from yours.  Anyways, I'll cut it short, but you could still learn a thing or two from someone who's "only' Ridden 22 years.

Welcome to the forum. :beerchug:

Thanks again for your expert advice and opinions. I have learned from your 22 years of experience, "Intriguing other riders with high dollar items on my bike makes me feel like someone"....    ::)

Offline JTX

• Crotch Rocket
  • TEXAS 2015 ZG14
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2016, 12:17:14 pm »
Your gonna have a GREAT time here.

Nice attitude.

Offline Sailor_chic

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 11610
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2016, 12:59:00 pm »
I have the Danali D2 mounted under my mirrors. Being that they are a dual intensity light, I have them wired in a unique way. When I hit the auxiliary switch, this powers on the D2's in low beam. Then the high intensity will come on when I use the main motorcycle high beams.
I am also using the New Brights LED for my headlights, and I can honestly say that I am throwing a lot of light down the road. Night riding is a pleasure now.

« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 01:21:08 pm by Sailor_chic »
Nicole     Port St Lucie, FL.
2013 C14 Black  
2006 Vmax
IBA # 60267

Offline CW

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2016, 03:14:53 pm »
Wow!   Just wow!

I was going to offer thoughts on a power hub, and associated wiring, but think I'll just pass. Wouldn't want to offend someone who had been riding 45 years.

Good luck with your lights and power, and welcome to the forum.

(Bought my first bike back in '71, BTW)
2010 Neptune blue C-14
2009 KLR
2103 DR-Z400S

Offline Woody

• Tricycle
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2016, 04:58:34 pm »
CW, nothing directed towards you or other members without an attitude. I just needed simple help with my lighting, not being instructed how my Cheap lights needed mounted low not to blind oncoming drivers. This was and is just btw me and JTX. Sorry you feel like you do, I could use the help.

Offline Woody

• Tricycle
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2016, 05:04:35 pm »
I have the Danali D2 mounted under my mirrors. Being that they are a dual intensity light, I have them wired in a unique way. When I hit the auxiliary switch, this powers on the D2's in low beam. Then the high intensity will come on when I use the main motorcycle high beams.
I am also using the New Brights LED for my headlights, and I can honestly say that I am throwing a lot of light down the road. Night riding is a pleasure now.

The lights mounted under your mirrors look great. Will have to look at the LED's. Is there a mounting plate for the D2"s for the mirrors?

Offline Sailor_chic

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2016, 06:03:13 pm »
Yes there is. Make sure your sitting down when you click this link.

http://www.pca-one.com/productDetail.asp?productID=7899
2013 C14 Black  
2006 Vmax
IBA # 60267

Offline reid53

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 7384
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2016, 06:52:24 pm »
Yes there is. Make sure your sitting down when you click this link.

http://www.pca-one.com/productDetail.asp?productID=7899
I have the PCA-One mount.  Yes it is pricey, but it makes the light mount level and looks  factory installed.   :great:
13 Concours "Blue Belle"
08 Concours "Silver Belle" with SISF Mountain Runner Flash
98 Concours "Tallahassee Belle" (Sold)

Offline Daisy

• Mini Bike
  • All About the Symmetry
  • AREA: Southwest Area
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2016, 11:32:09 pm »
I made my mounts from a block of 2 inch round delrin.

Offline Woody

• Tricycle
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2016, 11:34:30 pm »
Just ordered the PCA ONE mounts. Thank you so much for the info. I really like the look of the mounts. Any info on how you ran the wiring harness?

Offline Sailor_chic

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2016, 12:48:50 am »
When you pull the mirror off the bike, you will see that there is plenty of space to drill trough the plastic to get inside the fairing.
2013 C14 Black  
2006 Vmax
IBA # 60267

Offline Woody

• Tricycle
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2016, 03:33:33 am »
When you pull the mirror off the bike, you will see that there is plenty of space to drill trough the plastic to get inside the fairing.

THANKS      :beerchug:

Offline Fais

• It's amazing what one can accomplish if it doesn't matter who gets the credit.
  • Sport Tourer
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2016, 09:02:09 am »

Hahaha - I had to 'ignore this user' long ago - but you made me click to read the text this time.

The Clearwaters are useless without the brightness knob. Shutting them off and on? Come on.... Maybe for anyone who doesn't EVER get caught in the dark. Really? it's pretty much a daily occurrence on earth :rotflmao: kind of inevitable. And sometimes, it even gets dark in the daytime.

It's easier to ignore some en route to getting your answer. CW got run off but his reply would have been useful. Come on CW!

I was here to learn too. I paid to have my rear led strips and a fuse splitter to be installed on my last bike. I just might be getting the nerve to attempt adding electronic farkles myself on my new bike. Thanks for asking the question and I hope to learn more. Being colorblind I have been overwhelmed by wiring - but if I go one step at a time and in no rush . . . . 
1976 BMW R90S (Luna) - 2000 KLR650 (Dirt McGirt) - 2005 SV1000 (Sue) - 2006 Vespa PX150 (Vino Negro) - 2014 C14 (Betty) - 2017 Z125Pro (MiniZ)
Whether you think you can or can't - you're right!
Instagram @ fais_the_photographer

Offline Woody

• Tricycle
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2016, 03:04:15 pm »

Hahaha - I had to 'ignore this user' long ago - but you made me click to read the text this time.

The Clearwaters are useless without the brightness knob. Shutting them off and on? Come on.... Maybe for anyone who doesn't EVER get caught in the dark. Really? it's pretty much a daily occurrence on earth :rotflmao: kind of inevitable. And sometimes, it even gets dark in the daytime.

It's easier to ignore some en route to getting your answer. CW got run off but his reply would have been useful. Come on CW!

I was here to learn too. I paid to have my rear led strips and a fuse splitter to be installed on my last bike. I just might be getting the nerve to attempt adding electronic farkles myself on my new bike. Thanks for asking the question and I hope to learn more. Being colorblind I have been overwhelmed by wiring - but if I go one step at a time and in no rush . . . .

Thanks Fais.... Just trying to get the lights mounted right the first time and not a butcher job.  I think some took my 45 yr riding statement as being obnoxious, I didn't intend for it to come across like that to others it wasn't directed to.   :sign0144: