Author Topic: Is there a tankbag that can be used on a Concours14  (Read 20190 times)

Offline CalBoy

• Scooter
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Is there a tankbag that can be used on a Concours14
« on: January 16, 2012, 06:17:20 am »
I am so used to having a tank bag. I've had a lot of bikes and I don't remember a single one that I didn't have a tank bag on. I even had one on my 2006 ZX14! Big, small magnetic or not, but I always had something on top of the gas tank in which I can keep small stuff readily available. My cellphone,air gauge, sunglasses,etc.  What do you guys use for tank bag? Is there  anything  that can be used on the Concours?  One other question. Can the little black plastic storage thing be removed so a tank bag can be used instead? Please advise.
Nobody knows who I am or what I do. Not even I.

Don Juan Matus
Carlos Castaneda, Journey to Ixtlan

Offline COGnosticator

• SE AAD
  • Sport Tourer
  • COG 4478
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 4478
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
Re: Is there a tankbag that can be used on a Concours14
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 09:29:53 am »
  One other question. Can the little black plastic storage thing be removed so a tank bag can be used instead? Please advise.

No need to remove it. I am on my third tank bag for my '09 and they all sit on top of the plastic storage box.  I use magnetic bags, the current one is a motocentric 19 and it works great.  The one before this was a bags connection that sit above the tank, but to me was a PITA to put back on the mount.
Jerry Holland  COG  4478
2014 FJR1300ES (1986, 2000, 2001 C10 and 2009 and 2013 C14)
Man, you were hauling a** the other day when I passed you

Offline Cap'n Bob

• GOLD STAR
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 7134
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2012, 09:31:48 am »
     First off let me say that I personally do not like huge tank bags. I prefer smaller bags that do not get in the way of things any more than necessary. So huge bags that prevent the bars from turning, or expand up to my chin, just do not work for me. So I'll focus on smaller and mid size bags. Since that's what works for me. You can use a tank bag over the love box (08-09) or the black filler panel (2010+).
      There's quite a few tank bags that can be used on the C14. As far as magnetic goes. I tried a whole bunch at local places (dealers and such). The tank bags that I found fit my C14 the best (out of the many I tried), were the Chase Harper 450 & 650. I have both. The 450 is the smaller version that obviously holds less. It's good for close to home with little getting in the way. The 650 has pretty much the same foot print and magnet placement. The magnet placement is what makes it so good. Unlike a lot of tank bags. The Chase Harper 450/650 actually all work great on the C14 in the correct position. The 650 is a little larger than the 450. I use the 650 more for travel and such.
       Now I have recently went with a South West moto ring setup with a Bags connection tank bag. I still think I like the Chase Harper's bag design (functionality) better. But I like the ring around the gas cap that the tank bag snaps on to. Although it's design makes the interior room of the bag a little smaller. Plus the bag sits a bit higher than the same size magnetic bag. But with the SWmoto ring. There's much less chance of debris getting on the magnets and possibly scratching the tank. I used a big Bags Connection tank bag first. And of course I hated it because it was too big for my preferences. So I sold it to a friend and COG/forum member. I went to a mid size bag which I like a lot better. Now I'm thinking a smaller bag for close to home duty.
        IMO, I like both. I like the quick release of the SWmoto ring on the Bags Connection tank bags. They are quick and easy, and protect the tank better (IMO). But they give up interior room (not a flat bottom like other tank bags). They also sit higher than magnetic bags. The chase Harper 650 being similar size can possibly scratch if you not take care. But it sits lower, and I like the pocket and netting design better than the bags Connection. So they are both great bags with the pluses and minuses. But they are both highly recommended in my book!  ;)

Offline S Smith

• Northeast Area Director
  • Officer
  • I Need a Life
    • COG Northeast Area Home Page
  • COG#: 3184
  • Membership Level: Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2012, 10:15:21 am »
I've used several types and brands of tank bags on the different bikes I have owned. I really came to like using a Wolfman mag mount bag on my C10, but on my 2011 C14 I have settled on using the powered SW-Motech gas tank ring and Bags Connection bags.  I recently began documenting the install and use of this bag system in the COG Wiki.

| Steve Smith | COG #3184 |

There is more to be gained by members raising hands saying "I'll do that" instead of pointing fingers saying "nobody's doing that."

Offline Cap'n Bob

• GOLD STAR
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2012, 10:50:15 am »
Here's a few pictures I took of the magnetic Chase Harper tank bags a while back for other folks. Note: the map pocket isn't installed in these pictures. It shows the actual tank bags better.

Chase Harper 450 (smaller) tank bag on my 2008 C14

Chase Haper 650

556ALPHA

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2012, 02:29:23 pm »
I have the Chase Harper 650 and it worked GREAT on my last vacation.  It is not too big but will hold a good amount of items and looks good on the bike.  For around town I have a Bags Connection Vina QL.  It attaches to a tank ring and is much smaller. 

Offline Jeremy

• Road Bike
  • I put on my pants for this?!
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 9899
Kick the tires and light the fires

Offline dave

• Tricycle
  • COG#: 10512
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2012, 03:09:58 pm »
  One other question. Can the little black plastic storage thing be removed so a tank bag can be used instead? Please advise.

No need to remove it. I am on my third tank bag for my '09 and they all sit on top of the plastic storage box.  I use magnetic bags, the current one is a motocentric 19 and it works great.  The one before this was a bags connection that sit above the tank, but to me was a PITA to put back on the mount.

+1 on the MOTOCENTRIC 19 - looks like she was made 4 the C 14
2009 C-14 ABS
1998 C-10
1990 FXLR-SP
1998 CR 250
1989 XR 500R

Offline CalBoy

• Scooter
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2012, 03:49:42 pm »
Guys, thank you for your quick replies. It is greatly appreciated.

Don Juan Matus

Offline joe in calif

• Road Bike
  • If you are born once you will die twice,
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2012, 03:54:45 pm »
What affects does the magnets have on the paint job on the tank? Does it leave marks or scratches after time?
If you are born once you will die twice.
If you are born twice you will die once

Offline CalBoy

• Scooter
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2012, 03:57:44 pm »

Jerry, I went to the Motocentric website and looked at the Motocentric 19 tank bag. I have a question for you. In the picture it looks like the bag has a front flap, magnetic I assume, besides the two on the side. What is that one attaching to when it actually sits on top of the plastic storage box? Did you cut it off?

Don Juan Matus

Offline CalBoy

• Scooter
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2012, 04:11:18 pm »
Jerry, no worries! I got it all figured  out after watching the video on their website. I'm gonna get one today.

Don Juan Matus

Offline COGnosticator

• SE AAD
  • Sport Tourer
  • COG 4478
  • COG#: 4478
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2012, 04:14:30 pm »
Jerry, no worries! I got it all figured  out after watching the video on their website. I'm gonna get one today.

Good, you were going to mount it backwards  ;D
Jerry Holland  COG  4478
2014 FJR1300ES (1986, 2000, 2001 C10 and 2009 and 2013 C14)
Man, you were hauling a** the other day when I passed you

Offline wally_games

• Moped
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2012, 05:35:35 pm »
Bob,
I love the looks of that rear seat bag. I know you've posted it before, but what is it, where'd you get it, and about what did it cost?

I have an expandable tank bag that I got from Cycle Gear, but don't think they carry that brand anymore. I actually removed the magnetic part (zips off) and mount the rest of it on the back seat and rack. I don't care for it on the tank, too much of a pain putting it on and off at gas stations.

Offline Cap'n Bob

• GOLD STAR
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2012, 08:00:33 pm »
Bob,
I love the looks of that rear seat bag. I know you've posted it before, but what is it, where'd you get it, and about what did it cost?

I have an expandable tank bag that I got from Cycle Gear, but don't think they carry that brand anymore. I actually removed the magnetic part (zips off) and mount the rest of it on the back seat and rack. I don't care for it on the tank, too much of a pain putting it on and off at gas stations.

Here you go:

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/921/340/

Here's a write up that Cycle world did on it.

http://www.cycleworld.com/2009/05/01/product-evaluation-bags-connection-rearbag/

Offline Russ

• Moped
  • AREA: Northwest Area
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2012, 08:28:31 pm »
Anyone have pictures of an SW Motech or GIVI tank bag (The type that mounts on a ring on the fuel filler)????  I'm been looking at them but I'd like to see them on a bike first. 

08 C14
05 Victory Ness Vegas
SOLD - 06 KLR650, 04 VT1100 Spirit, 01 VT750 ACE, 1986 VFR750F, 1991 CBR1000F
AMA# 2794531

Offline Cap'n Bob

• GOLD STAR
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2012, 08:47:13 pm »
Anyone have pictures of an SW Motech or GIVI tank bag (The type that mounts on a ring on the fuel filler)????  I'm been looking at them but I'd like to see them on a bike first.

Here's an article Steve has been working on for the wiki section. This article is about the powered ring set up. But the normal ring mounts the same without the electric. So if you don't need electric in your tank bag. The mount bolts on in a couple of minutes. Then just pop the bag on. The article shows a couple of the bags mounted on the C14's mounting ring.

http://forum.cog-online.org/index.php/topic,30537.0.html

556ALPHA

« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2012, 09:22:13 pm »
Chase Harper 650

Bags Connection Vina QL

Offline Jeremy

• Road Bike
  • I put on my pants for this?!
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 9899
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2012, 01:12:45 am »
What affects does the magnets have on the paint job on the tank? Does it leave marks or scratches after time?

My Tourmaster doesn't affect the paint at all, it has a soft neoprene like material on the underside.
Kick the tires and light the fires

Offline ripper

• Mini Bike
  • COG#: 9818
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2012, 01:28:35 am »
  ^-^
My tankbag is cortech. Expandable.Main compartment
is for day/night shield. What ever else. Front outside
compartment has slime pump just fits. Right outside
Compartment has bunch of plastic bags. Left outside
spare glasses,small maglite . There is a little zipper
pocket and another pocket in the back. Has padded
Shoulder straps in another compartment. Detachable
map holder. It stays on the bike very well. Magnetic.
Several more zippered compartments in main compart-
Ment. I took this bag off my m50 boulevard. It's good.
pretty big. But doesn't get in the way in the twisties too
Bad. And I just tried the chesty go-pro with the bag on
and got good video back. So I like it. I guess you could
search cortech to find it. Can't remember what I paid

Keep the shiney side up

Chuck ;)

Offline Gypsy JR

• American Gypsy
  • I Need a Life
  • Living the Gypsy Life
  • COG#: 9279
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2012, 03:22:41 am »
I am a long time, big fan of RKA soft luggage. Their line of tank bags run from very small to quite large. They fasten securely (mine doesn't move despite the way I ride) and will never scratch your paint / chrome.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2017 Forest River Flagstaff Super-V 27VRL travel trailer
Where are you? [insert random forest name]

Offline CalBoy

• Scooter
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2012, 05:57:38 am »
Chase Harper 650

Bags Connection Vina QL

Where did you get those gas tank protective pads from?

Don Juan Matus

Offline Axxman

• Mini Bike
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2012, 03:25:41 pm »
Chase Harper 650

Bags Connection Vina QL

Where did you get those gas tank protective pads from?

They are Tech Spec. I have the same ones on my bike. :)

Offline Dalroo

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 9961
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2012, 03:50:40 pm »
I have the Motocentric MotoTrek 14 tank bag ($71), along with the MotoTrek Sport tail bag ($69), and like them both a great deal. The tank bag is magnetic and very stable. The tail bag attaches with built in bungees.

My next project is to "electrify" the tank bag by running the Powerlet Kit to it with the converters to run various powered items - heated gear, ipod, etc. One nice thing about the tank bag - it has gromet type holes in a front pocket allowing storage of iphone/ipod, and then routing of cords for earbuds, etc.

I ended up with the tail bag as I wasn't ready to drop big bucks on a topcase, but did want the added storage. The Motocentric tail bag is expandable, has multiple pockets, and very easy to mount on the C14 - and very important, maintains its shape even when empty. It also provides a lot of flexibility on mounting, and has various eyelets for attaching other items.

I've found using the tail bag, tank bag, and saddles bags, I can easily carry all of the gear I need for a 4 day trip, and with planning, think I could make it all work for an extended trip with occasional stops at the laundromat.
(Now) 2010 C14, 1981 KZ440LTD, 2014 XC610 (Then) 2000 FLHTCUI, 1998 KZ1000P, 1998 FXDWG, 1996 XL1200, 1993 Intruder 1400, 1989 YZ-250WR, 1984 YZ-250
Ancient Arabic Order of Nobles of the Mystic Shrine - Moslah Shrine Temple, Fort Worth, Texas - 2B1 ASK1

Offline Necron99

• Crotch Rocket
  • rise again....
  • COG#: 9384
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2012, 04:25:26 pm »
I have a powered SW Motech bag from Twisted throttle, and I LOVE it.  Just like the Vina QL above on the red bike.

It doesn't touch the paint at all.  IMO any tank bag that sits on the paint WILL mar the paint, no matter how soft the neoprene.  You WILL get a little dust in between the surfaces and it WILL rub.  Micro abrasions become abrasions which become wear spots.  I can't imagine how anal retentive you'd have to be to avoid it, cleaning both surfaces before using, and in between applications on long trips.