Author Topic: J&M audio buzz  (Read 2426 times)

Offline jdlstorage

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 9734
  • Membership Level: Active
J&M audio buzz
« on: April 12, 2011, 08:22:01 pm »
I looked and probably  missed a thread about this but here goes anyway.

I recently bought an 09 ABS model with 2200 miles on it.  I am adding a J&M audio system to the bike and have a slight buzz with the engine running.  I originally used the aux connectors in the tail but that was real bad.  I have since attached to the running light in the tail and the associated ground.  The audio buzz here is much less but still there.  Is there a better location to attach for power.  I have all cables running down the left side of the bike if that makes a difference.

Thanks for any and all input.

Jim

Offline Cap'n Bob

• GOLD STAR
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 7134
Re: J&M audio buzz
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2011, 08:30:50 pm »
Try a noise filter on your power connections. It normally connect in line with the positive leg. Then attaches a shield ground to help isolate noise. I just installed a small mixer on my FJR and have a slight buzz as well. SO I will probably be doing this as well. Another possibility may be your cable routing too close to the alternator. But a lot of times the filter will take care of that. I don't have time right now, but I'll see if I can find a link for you later (I need one myself).

Bob

Offline Victor Salisbury

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 3673
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2011, 08:54:26 pm »
I have a slight noise coming in from my Autocom hardwired up. Positive through a relay controlled accessory fuse block, ground going to a grounding block that is connected to the battery ground. From my readings, the ground side is usually the issue, should go directly to the batterry, and power directly from the batterry. I'm going to move the ground first to the batterry, then try the in line filter on the power lead. Actually on the power lead, I may try adding a ferrell?  We'll see, ops check will be for our RTE coming up this Saturday, woo, hoo ;D
Vic Salisbury
COG #3673 
'97 Connie "The Grinch" 
Sarasota, FL 
www.cog-online.org 
Stupid Hurts! Wearing protective gear is much more comfortable.

Offline Moto2wheelin

• Scooter
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 5383
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2011, 12:17:27 am »
Not sure which J&M system you have installed, but I have installed their 2003 handlebar mounted cb radio unit on several bikes without any problems.  I always use the tail light for power.  I always find a good ground to the frame!  I know that these units come with a noise filter, so I have never had to add one to these, but have added them to portable cb radios I have installed before.  Not sure why, but if wired like this, I can't imagine why you would have any problems.  I always use Sierra Electronics for any problems and then straight to J&M if they can't help.  Both are very good resources!

Offline joe in calif

• Road Bike
  • If you are born once you will die twice,
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2011, 12:52:05 pm »
I had the same problem with my J&M CB unit, I ended up calling J&M and they said to use the tail light wire for power which I did, still had some noise, I moved the speakers in my helmet from the ear piece to inside the foam in the helmet liner away from a straight line to my ear and I don't hear the noise anymore.
If you are born once you will die twice.
If you are born twice you will die once

Offline jdlstorage

• Big Wheels
  • COG#: 9734
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2011, 01:15:57 pm »
I think I have resolved the noise issue. Thanks for everyone's responses.  I wound up using the tail light for power and that removed most of it  but I still got a pulsating buzz at about 4k. I then moved the ground to a better frame ground and the problem is now gone.

Thanks again

Jim

Offline joe in calif

• Road Bike
  • If you are born once you will die twice,
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2011, 12:31:59 am »
Where did you ground it? I grounded it to the cross member under the seat.
If you are born once you will die twice.
If you are born twice you will die once