Author Topic: Kawasaki top case and matching color panel insert question  (Read 278 times)

Offline Kreton'sLC

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Kawasaki top case and matching color panel insert question
« on: January 20, 2019, 12:30:20 am »
Hey Kawasaki top case owners!  I see where several online Kawasaki OEM vendors sell the Kawasaki (actually a Givi Monolock) top case for the Connie, as well as the matching color panel I need.  What I'm confused about is the vendor information about the top case says the color panel is required.  Does that mean the case isn't functional without the matching color panel?  I figured the color panel was an option that snapped on the top case, replacing the stock black color panel the case comes with stock.   And since there are other farkles I'm interested in, from a cash flow perspective I might want to hold off getting the matching color panel for now.  Plus, when you can get a Givi E470, which comes with the mounting hardware and costs half the price of the Kawi case, insert, and mounting hardware, well I dunno . . .

Also, can a lighting kit be used with the Kawi top case?  If not, then I'll definitely go with an E470 or similar alternative since that's a mod that's pretty high on my list.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2019, 01:02:40 am by Kreton'sLC »

Online Rexter

• Training Wheels
Re: Kawasaki top case and matching color panel insert question
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2019, 01:25:06 am »
I got an E52 and painted to top to match.

Offline gsun

• Sport Tourer
  • CDA #560
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 9127
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2019, 03:40:31 am »
I bought the 45 litre (i believe) Givi with the black trim and it worked fine. Replaced it with the colour matched panel and it fit well. The matched panel is not required unless the one you looked at does not have the black panel.

Offline Kreton'sLC

• Training Wheels
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2019, 01:10:52 am »
Well, after calling Cheap Cycle Parts, it turns out the matching panel insert is actually an integral part of the top case - it effectively doesn't have a top without it.  So I went ahead and ordered one.  And since the dealer I bought my Connie from already ordered the base plate and top panel - like me, they thought it was the whole top case with the matching panel - I just have to call them tomorrow and tell them not to send them back.

Just hope I like it since it's the same quality as a Givi E470 but nearly double the cost because it says "Kawasaki" and will match my bike's color.  Oh well, you only live once.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2019, 08:42:01 pm »
I've never been impressed with the GIVI/Kaw setup....
For the money, I think the Shad trunks are far ahead, and carried by an industry COG dealer...
https://www.murphskits.com/product_info.php?cPath=130_134&products_id=128&osCsid=FswEX8sME54JRzbk0Y940

I've had a Shad 42L trunk for almost 15 years now, began on my C10, and moved it to my C14....  never leaked, or fell off... or broke....

all that crazy $$$$ they want, in extra's for a "color matched" panel is a bunch of hokum, it should be available with a "plain black wrapper" instead of using that color thing as an extra, to multiply the cost by 2x... and it should come with a universal mount base plate at no extra charge...

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline gsun

• Sport Tourer
  • CDA #560
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 9127
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2019, 11:44:40 pm »
Mine did come with the base plate. It's not universal as the case has to fit the plate. I would think all cases are different so how can it be universal?