Author Topic: K&N Air Filter for 2016  (Read 1449 times)

Offline Knomad

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
K&N Air Filter for 2016
« on: October 22, 2017, 11:34:59 pm »
I did a search with no results. I have just purchased a 2016 C14. My 2009 uses a KA1406 K&N air filter. I see no listing for the 2016, so I contact K&N and they won't commit to the fact of if the same filter will work in the 2016. SO, anyone running a K&N and if so, what's the part number. Thanks.

Offline Syxxphive

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 12672
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: K&N Air Filter for 2016
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2017, 12:10:45 am »
The air filter for all years of C14 is the same.

Offline robertv

• Street Cruiser
  • Go Hawks!
  • AREA: Northwest Area
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2017, 12:11:12 am »
2008 C14, silver [current]
2000 C10, red [sold]

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2017, 04:22:24 am »
I've been using the OEM filters, but next replacement will be this one...

https://www.amazon.com/Hiflofiltro-HFA2916-Premium-Replacement-Filter/dp/B005DUM9MO/ref=pd_sbs_263_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=7G475GJ9VBK56JE55J7G

I've had one in hand, and find it to be a reasonable priced version, that should perform fine...
I am holding off on installing an oiled filter on my C14, simply because I don't want one in that airbox, to possibly cause issues with sensors and such..
I do use the KN reusables in all my other bikes tho, just not in my injected machine...

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline Derek

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 11636
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2017, 12:14:11 pm »
A online parts look up for the stock filter shows its the same for my 2010 and your 2016.
11013-0014   ELEMENT-AIR FILTER   At $43 I went with the K&N.... 2 changes and its paid for.

Interesting bit from K&N web site about cleaning... "Cleaning your K&N Air Filter is not required if you can still see the wire screen on the entire air filter regardless of how dirty it may appear"  https://www.knfilters.com/cleaning.htm
2010 C14 Concours
2004 C10 Concours (Lost a fight with a left turning car)
1983 Honda V45 Sabre (sold)
Ottawa, Ontario

Offline strum

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 12307
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2017, 02:18:55 pm »
I use a K&N  in my c14 and my truck.
 Yesterday I cleaned and recharged my truck one.
 Its so easy to over spray the oil that im in agreement with MOB that the oil could be an issue.
 I havent done it to my bike one yet but when I do ill spray the oil very very lightly, let it sit to wick in for 20-30 mins and then blot off any excess oil.
 I dont think its an issue if these steps are followed.

2008 C-14
Measurement is the first step that leads to control and eventually to improvement.
If you can't measure something, you can't understand it.
If you can't understand it, you can't control it.
If you can't control it, you can't improve it."

Offline Deepsea

• Living large in the land of Hansel & Gretel
  • Crotch Rocket
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2017, 06:40:49 pm »
I've use K&N filters for lots of dirt bike where the filter needs cleaning or replacement often but not on modern street  bikes. K&N makes the claim "Designed to boost horsepower and rate of acceleration". While it may be "Designed" for this I'm not so sure about the delivery. Especially with the over oiling issues. Before closing my shop I tested several different air filters on a Flow Bench. Whoever designed the OEM filter new their stuff. It [/size]flows almost exactly the same as all the others. I didn't test for particulate removal just mass air flow.[/color]
BSA Gold Star, Norton Commando, Moto Guzzi V-7 Sport, Norton Commando, John Player Norton, BMW R90S, Kawasaki Z-1 and Z-1R , Honda CB-650, C-14
El Mirage Record Holder A-BG 3000cc 11/83 184.049 mph  CDA#0438
(twin engine, twin turbo, Z-1)
Retired Navy Saturation Diver

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2017, 08:05:05 pm »
I use a K&N  in my c14 and my truck.
 Yesterday I cleaned and recharged my truck one.
 Its so easy to over spray the oil that im in agreement with MOB that the oil could be an issue.
 I havent done it to my bike one yet but when I do ill spray the oil very very lightly, let it sit to wick in for 20-30 mins and then blot off any excess oil.
 I dont think its an issue if these steps are followed.

Thank you for bringing up the point about "spray"....
Having used K&N's on various machines since 1974, I have always used the aerosol spray, I'm still using my original can I bought back then... simply tells the tale that a lot of oil is not needed... and is the major downfall on the part of K&N as to not showing just how sparingly the amount of oil is needed..
They have always included a "bubble" filled with oil, with their filters, what they refused to caution on is that "bubble" contains enough oil to treat a filter about 25 times..... most people sjmply over oil.
IIRC, the C14 filter comes "pre oiled", and no further oil should be applied at first install...

I'll also note, as long as I have used these, I have cleaned them using kerosene, or stoddard solvent, and after a few cleanings, the adhesive that holds the foam seals to the filter body always deteriorates, and has to be replaced, either using thin double stick film type tape, or some other goopy adhesive.
I've pretty much replaced every foam seal on my filters at least twice, so they ain't "maintenence free" in that respect.

Way back in time, we used to "grease" the inside of the airboxes on our dirtbikes, kinda like buttering a pan for baking, this helped trap dust and debris sucked into, and swirled around, in the airbox before getting to the filters... it did require wiping the inside surfaces out regularly, but it saved the filter media substantially. I still do this on my C10, and my KZ, both of which have a propensity for sucking in dust due to the snorkle locations...

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline JTX

• Crotch Rocket
  • TEXAS 2015 ZG14
  • AREA: South Central Area
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2017, 09:55:38 pm »
I did a search with no results. I have just purchased a 2016 C14. My 2009 uses a KA1406 K&N air filter. I see no listing for the 2016, so I contact K&N and they won't commit to the fact of if the same filter will work in the 2016. SO, anyone running a K&N and if so, what's the part number. Thanks.

Yeah they dont list it for the 15 either.    I put one in there earlier this year, but I havent ridden with it installed yet. I still need tires.

Offline JDSCO

• Scooter
  • 2016 C14
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2017, 10:08:06 pm »

K&N KA-1406
I installed this in my 2008 C14, 40k miles, cleaned annually with K&N filter cleaner, re-oiled and no issues.
I will install this in my 2016 C14 next spring.
"Remember? You're never too old to fall down."
Jay Leno

Offline ghostrider990

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 12649
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2017, 09:50:44 am »
I have the off-brand version of the Oil and Gauze Filter, and can't remember what it is, but got it via Amazon.

I think the real trick to making one of these work is NOT over-oiling the surface Media, as MOB covered.

Air Filter choices are almost as personal as Oil Threads - I chose based on my preference, servicing intervals, and cost.
I personally think K+N products are overpriced.

gr
..."I like to keep this handy -- for Close Encounters"...