Author Topic: LED headlight install (single emitter)  (Read 30468 times)

Offline mattchewn

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Re: LED headlight install (single emitter)
« Reply #100 on: December 16, 2015, 02:45:27 am »
So how many of you have changed from HID to LED?
What is everyone using for HID kits here?
J,
Several folks on here are using LED now. They are finally getting to the point where they are a viable replacement now. They are NOT as bright as HID yet but they are quite close. I have LED in my Honda, (aftermarket). and HID in my C14. I even went so far as to purchase a set of LED that were being talked about. I did, I sized them up in a '09 C14 right next to my '12 C14 at night. The LED's worked great. had good pattern and spread and very good light output. Just not as good as my HID was.  I have the Kit that was being sold through A&R. They are no longer selling this kit.  What I now am installing for folks and also have used numerous times in my personal vehicles are the kits from Kensun available on Amazon for less than 100.00
Matt
2018 H2 SXSE.  (FAT SXSE)
2011 GSX1250 FA
2009 Ninja 500R. (wifes')
2001 Bandit 650  (kids')

Offline curt1480

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: North Central Area
« Reply #101 on: December 04, 2016, 10:36:39 pm »
How bright are the led lights vs Hid lights.  I currently use an Hid light in my other motorcycle.  They are used in a Halogen case but the light output is great.  I would like to do the same with the Concours, but I am worried that these lens may produce more scatter and blind other drivers.  Has anyone had any experience with Hid or Led bulbs.

Offline 4Bikes

• Iron Butt
  • COG#: 9715
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #102 on: December 05, 2016, 12:15:55 am »
I posted up some info in this thread about what I purchased between #67 and #87. I would buy my LED's again, but given their hour rating before failure, I may never need to do that. I have been riding more at night and I'm happy with the light output. I often get compliments when riding with others about the brightness during the day.
Silver 2011 C-14. Previous rides: KZ-400, KZ-750, KZ-1000.  Keep the rubber side down.  Ride Fast......Live Slow......

Offline mattchewn

• I Need a Life
« Reply #103 on: December 05, 2016, 03:48:46 pm »
Curt,
Having tested them side by side on 2 C14's i would say that "normally" the LED's are about 80-90% of the HID brightness. I know there are bulbs that claim "extreme" brightness, however, most of those claims are less than true or are when the bulbs are on high beam settings, The "real" HID are one brightness all the time after warmup.
Matt
Soon enough the LED will surpass the HID i think.
2018 H2 SXSE.  (FAT SXSE)
2011 GSX1250 FA
2009 Ninja 500R. (wifes')
2001 Bandit 650  (kids')

Offline Graphicjunkie

• Never ride faster than your guardian angel!
  • Road Bike
  • If guns kill people, my pencil misspells words.
  • AREA: Southwest Area
« Reply #104 on: December 27, 2016, 01:18:30 pm »
I'm going to dump the LEDs and go with HIDs.  With the night riding I've had done as of late, I really notice the LACK of saturation in the LEDs.  The LACK of pattern consistency.  Yes, LEDs are superior to Halogens as been discussed.  But I still think LEDs have a lot of growing up to do before they are truly a solid answer. 
Those of you running HIDs, what kit are you using?  I want to look before I jump.  Thanks!
2009 Black ABS - Night Fury (Shoodaben*ZX14 Header*Dual Two Bros*Vstream*heated grips*fender extender*lowered foot pegs*radiator protector*LEDs*wedges*TechSpec*Corbin/Smuggler*switchbacks*Stebel)
2008 Neutron Silver  - Silver Streak (GONE)
Colorado

Online gpd323

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Northwest Area
« Reply #105 on: December 28, 2016, 01:23:50 am »
I run the Procycle H4 HID low/high kit that has worked for 3 years and no issues.

High/Low H4 HID Light Kit

More light - Less power! Only draws 35 watts yet puts out several times as much light as the stock 55 watt halogen bulb. The HID is for the riders who want the best but don't want to break the bank getting it. Operates on both high or low beam. The kit comes complete with a high/low single capsule HID bulb, slim profile ballast, wiring extenders, and all the hardware you need to install the kit. Click the pics below for more info.

H4 high beam
HID high beam
More light less power

https://procycle.us/bikepages/klr650.html#electrical

HIDs do indeed put out more light than some LED's. I was an early adopter using LED's in my KLR. They sucked, no focused beam, no discernible low beam cutoff. So I went back to HID's in the KLR. Recently as an 2 weeks I have bought the R3 LED H7s that ADVmonster sells and am very pleased with this LED kit. there is a nice low bean cutoff and the low and high beams are very focused.

The light output is close to an HID and the color temp is nice and white, not amber like a halogen. The same color as a 5500-6K HID.

I like the instant on compared to the HIDs, although the Procycle HID H4 (I use on my C14) kit has a magnetic base that aligns a proper beam high/ low without any disruption in light, the single bulb does both H/L functions.

Hope this helps a bit.  :beerchug:

Greg Downing
Beautiful Downtown Spanaway
Washington State

Ride while you can.

Offline Shredran

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: Southwest Area
« Reply #106 on: April 05, 2018, 04:59:00 am »
http://www.cyclopsadventuresports.com/led-headlight-bulbs.html

Several people PM'd me for this info so thought I would post.

When buying these, do they include the high/low and the two smaller bulbs in the middle on an 09' connie (I believe they may be called T10XM)? I also thought about getting these if not since it includes those...just too damn expensive: https://www.socalmotogear.com/KAWASAKI-CONCOURS-LED-KIT-p/kwledkt.htm