Author Topic: LED lights  (Read 6512 times)

Offline HotWire

• Bicycle
  • It's never too late for a happy childhood!
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
LED lights
« on: September 26, 2012, 11:56:19 pm »
I would like to add a set of LED light on the lower fork legs such as the Clearwater Glendas or the PIAA 530LED's but the price is rather heart-stopping. Has anybody found anything a litte more reasonable but still effective?
2012 Black Concours, Mark McDade pipe, PC5, Michelin PR-2's, Muzzy lowering links
Run For The Wall 2001, 2003, 2005, 2010

Offline JTC

• Tricycle
  • 2012 Arabian Red
  • AREA: Northeast Area
Re: LED lights
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2012, 01:05:29 am »
No personal experience with these lights but I am considering them myself.  Check them out they seem similar and site has others and accessories       http://stores.intuitwebsites.com/hstrial-QualiRegResou/-strse-2/Black-Model-44-LED/Detail.bok

Offline Gypsy JR

• American Gypsy
  • I Need a Life
  • Living the Gypsy Life
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 9279
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2012, 11:26:29 am »
I have long personal experience with the Twisted Throttle Denali D2 LED driving lights.

They make a lot of light, and are quite small. I have mine down by the front axle using the fender bracket Twisted Throttle sells for them.

Well, ok, I have to over-engineer everything so I gusseted the brackets they sent me, but they should be fine as delivered.

The D2s can be wired to go into high intensity when you flip on your high beams. Pretty cool.

Everything needed is provided in the kit except the fender brackets, if you don't specify you want front fender brackets for a Concours 14, they send you generic brackets.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2017 Forest River Flagstaff Super-V 27VRL travel trailer
Where are you? [insert random forest name]

Offline Mad River Marc

• Sport Tourer
  • COG#: 8442
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2012, 11:53:04 am »
One other forum Member has these and says they are good

http://24x7diy.com/product_info.php/cPath/23/products_id/34

You only need two tools in life – WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn’t move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn’t move and does, use the duct tape.

Offline Larry

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 9359
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2012, 12:02:40 pm »
Some others have these and are quite happy with them.  I am contemplating getting a set.  They look pretty nice.

http://www.mondomotos.com/product/mm10adv/mm10adv.php
10 Kawi Concours 14 ABS

Offline tjhess74

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 8406
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2012, 04:11:58 pm »
if you just want more conspicuity and not worried about actual forward lighting, then you will like the whelen tir3 lights.  i have an amber and white pair on my bike and they work very nicely.  ive seen my bike from distance while driving and it caught my eye instantly.

if you search the forum you should be able to find my posts where i put up pics.  my internet is sucky, otherwise i would find the link for you...
Tom Hess  North Charleston, South Carolina    COG #8406  IBA #30337  CDA #248 (C10)    97 c10 (former)  08 c14 (current), 2007 Honda VFR800 RWB

Offline TJ

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2012, 04:17:25 pm »
If you can wire things up the 100.00 Mondos are a bargain.   If need you can purchase a wiring kit but it looks like they are out of them.  If you can do basic electrical work I would invest in a fuse block and wire them yourself.  I love mine mounted on the reflector brackets.

Offline Larry

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2012, 07:13:24 pm »
If you can wire things up the 100.00 Mondos are a bargain.   If need you can purchase a wiring kit but it looks like they are out of them.  If you can do basic electrical work I would invest in a fuse block and wire them yourself.  I love mine mounted on the reflector brackets.

I emailed them and they told me via a response that they should have the Mondo MM10ADV kit (with the wiring harness) available starting this coming Monday, 10/1.  Let's hope so.
10 Kawi Concours 14 ABS

Offline TJ

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2012, 12:22:53 am »
IMO if you use theirs I would change the male/female crimp connectors joining the harness and LED's to something better.  3 of the 8 on mine failed due to poor crimping.

Offline jkenny

• Moped
  • COG#: 10334
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2012, 12:36:10 am »
I have long personal experience with the Twisted Throttle Denali D2 LED driving lights.

They make a lot of light, and are quite small. I have mine down by the front axle using the fender bracket Twisted Throttle sells for them.

Well, ok, I have to over-engineer everything so I gusseted the brackets they sent me, but they should be fine as delivered.

The D2s can be wired to go into high intensity when you flip on your high beams. Pretty cool.

Everything needed is provided in the kit except the fender brackets, if you don't specify you want front fender brackets for a Concours 14, they send you generic brackets.
Any pictures?
Wow is this thing fast!!!
2012 Black C14 aka "14"

Offline Bruiser

• Bruiser
  • Sport Tourer
  • kiss philosophy gets it done quicker and simpler
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2012, 02:07:40 am »
A friend of mine mounted driving lights down on the lower fork tubes, and often picked up road debris on them.  Most of the things I have read, is to mount them high, for better visability.  My old C10, I fashioned a light bar, across the front of the radiator, and that seemed to be a good spot.  These lights you guys are talking about look pretty interesting.
Bruiser

2012 Kawasaki C14
93 Kawasaki C10
1982 Honda CX500 Turbo
1980 Kawasaki KZ1000ST
1978 Honda CB750F
1976 Kawasaki KZ400
1976 Honda 750K
1973 Honda CB500K
1973 Honda SL175
1972 Honda SL125

Offline Gypsy JR

• American Gypsy
  • I Need a Life
  • Living the Gypsy Life
  • COG#: 9279
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2012, 09:09:01 am »

Any pictures?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2017 Forest River Flagstaff Super-V 27VRL travel trailer
Where are you? [insert random forest name]

Offline The Pope

• Crotch Rocket
  • North Carolina AAD
  • COG#: 9994
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2012, 09:30:42 am »
^ I'm wanting to mount fog lights there. Looks good JR.  :great:
The Pope
2011 Atomic Silver C-14 (aka TheImprovedSilverDammit)

"The Universe is a contest between engineers making things idiot-proof and God making bigger idiots. So far, God is winning by a wide margin." (Unknown author, well I don't know who said it.)

Offline Larry

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2012, 10:09:47 am »

Any pictures?

Any pics with them lit up during the day and at night?
10 Kawi Concours 14 ABS

Offline TJ

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2012, 11:53:44 am »
Here are the Mondo MM10's

Offline The Pope

• Crotch Rocket
  • North Carolina AAD
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2012, 03:12:08 pm »
Does Mondo have a yellow lens for these MM10's and what's the lumen rating for the light? I didn't see it mentioned anywhere on their site.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 03:19:48 pm by The Pope »
The Pope

"The Universe is a contest between engineers making things idiot-proof and God making bigger idiots. So far, God is winning by a wide margin." (Unknown author, well I don't know who said it.)

Offline Larry

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2012, 03:52:09 pm »
I emailed Mondo earlier this morning about the availability as of 10/1 and also to ask them about the lumen rating of not only the MM10's, but the MM15's as well.  As soon as I hear back from them, I will post their reply on this thread.  Thanks.
10 Kawi Concours 14 ABS

Offline TJ

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2012, 04:39:41 pm »
No yellow lenses and Lm are apx 1100. 

Offline Bruiser

• Bruiser
  • Sport Tourer
  • kiss philosophy gets it done quicker and simpler
  • AREA: Northwest Area
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2012, 03:31:05 am »
Those look awesome!  Add some "Silver White" bulbs to the headlights...that will add some serious "lightage".
Bruiser

2012 Kawasaki C14
93 Kawasaki C10
1982 Honda CX500 Turbo
1980 Kawasaki KZ1000ST
1978 Honda CB750F
1976 Kawasaki KZ400
1976 Honda 750K
1973 Honda CB500K
1973 Honda SL175
1972 Honda SL125

Offline The Pope

• Crotch Rocket
  • North Carolina AAD
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2012, 12:14:16 pm »
No yellow lenses and Lm are apx 1100.
MM10s? Just want to make sure.
The Pope

Offline TJ

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2012, 12:28:13 pm »
Thats my understanding, no yellow covers.   I am considering the A&R HID kit so no bulb change yet...

Offline DannyL

• Mini Bike
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2012, 04:36:12 pm »
I would like to add a set of LED light on the lower fork legs such as the Clearwater Glendas or the PIAA 530LED's but the price is rather heart-stopping. Has anybody found anything a litte more reasonable but still effective?
I have a set of Piaa's on my bike a and just last night my bro said "holy s*** are they ever bright...." and yes they are properly adjusted as per he instructions.... :motonoises:

Looks like I still have a few pieces of puzzle to fill in!
2005 Concours

Offline TJ

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2012, 09:17:52 pm »

Offline HotWire

• Bicycle
  • It's never too late for a happy childhood!
  • AREA: Southwest Area
LED lights
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2012, 11:20:53 pm »
Has anyone found any decent LED lights similar to the Clearwater Glenda's or PIAA 530LED at a more reasonable price?
2012 Black Concours, Mark McDade pipe, PC5, Michelin PR-2's, Muzzy lowering links
Run For The Wall 2001, 2003, 2005, 2010

Offline TJ

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2012, 01:26:15 am »
maybe you should be a little more specific.  I posted an example and it will not get much cheaper than that.  Do you want 3000Lm lights or just a different style?