Author Topic: LED Lights for C14, Hikari or others?  (Read 1681 times)

Offline NinjaBreadMan

• Moped
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 11944
  • Membership Level: Active
LED Lights for C14, Hikari or others?
« on: January 07, 2018, 04:33:12 am »
I would like to get LED bulbs for my C14, has anyone tried the Hikari bulbs?  I did see one Amazon review from a Concours owner who said they worked:
https://smile.amazon.com/HIKARI-LED-Headlight-Bulbs-Conversion-Kit-H4-9003-Hi-Lo-Top-CREE-XHP50-XM-L2-9600lm-6K-Cool-White-2-Yr-Warranty-Eye-of-Megatron-Upgraded-Version/dp/B01LCE19PW/ref=cm_cr_getr_d_rvw_txt?ie=UTF8

Any other suggestions for LED lights that you would recommend?  Is the anti-flickering resistor needed?
2016 Gray C14
previous bikes 2006 C10, 1977 Z1000
Jet Ski Ultra 300X & ST-15F
Lake Stevens, WA

Offline ghostrider990

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 12649
Re: LED Lights for C14, Hikari or others?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2018, 11:48:30 am »
I've been running these for a solid year.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00VNBEJ1G/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Like many others that have installed LED drop ins, they come with both positive and negatives.
Cut off is not sharp, and tends to scatter some, and adjustment is an excercise in mediocrity or compromise between ok and
that will do.
I did get these beams out on a few VERY DARK West Virginia back roads, and I wasn't completely dissatisfied with the output, distance, or color.  I did wish I had a set of auxillary flood lights mounted under my mirrors to see even more of the road -- but who wouldn't?

Mostly I installed these to (hopefully) cut down on power consumption, match the COLOR of my LED MM10s and City Lights, and also to simply add more daytime conspicuity.

I have no complaints thus far.

The ONLY issue with installation was that I had to cut the rubber dust boots to allow for these to BREATHE, as they DO get very hot, and have fans attached to the heat sinks.

gr
..."I like to keep this handy -- for Close Encounters"...

Offline trav76401

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2018, 04:08:06 pm »
I am also looking to upgrade to LED's on my 2017.  The Pathfinder kit that SoCalMotoGear has looks promising.  Does anyone have any experience with these?  I am looking for a nice cutoff line and little to no scattered light, if possible.

http://www.socalmotogear.com/KAWASAKI-CONCOURS-LED-KIT-p/kwledkt.htm

Offline RWulf

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 7122
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2018, 07:30:57 pm »
I would like to find the "Iron Butt" site and see what these people are using.

Offline Doc

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 12697
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2018, 09:24:03 pm »
I have found the combination of Osram Nightbreaker Laser Halogen headlights, LEDs in city lights and ADVMonster 30 LEDs on the front forks to be awesome!
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 09:33:13 pm by Doc »

Offline NinjaBreadMan

• Moped
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2018, 03:56:32 am »
I think I have now settled on some lights recommended by another C14 user on Facebook.  These also have a 2 year warranty, and 30 day money-back offer with no questions.  They are also 10,000 lumen (5000x2), and listed as waterproof & dustproof.  Any comments on these?

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N7SPMG4/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I285KNYRSTNTYA&colid=257V4KRLCZM2X&psc=1

2016 Gray C14
Lake Stevens, WA

Offline Ryder123

• Tricycle
  • COG#: 12720
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2018, 04:36:38 am »
I am also looking to upgrade to LED's on my 2017.  The Pathfinder kit that SoCalMotoGear has looks promising.  Does anyone have any experience with these?  I am looking for a nice cutoff line and little to no scattered light, if possible.

http://www.socalmotogear.com/KAWASAKI-CONCOURS-LED-KIT-p/kwledkt.htm

I installed the Pathfinder LED kit from socalmoto gear. Easy install. YouTube cruisermans garage.
The illumination is white not yellow.
You can see street signs better and the deer actually "move" away when they see the lights.

"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will."
Mahatma Gandhi

Offline NinjaBreadMan

• Moped
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2018, 04:36:21 am »
I ended up purchasing the Lasfit LED headlights which were mentioned in a previous post of this thread.  Here's the link to Amazon's site:
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N7SPMG4/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I285KNYRSTNTYA&colid=257V4KRLCZM2X&psc=1

I chose these lights for the high output, and shielding which directs light output.  Installation of the lights took about 40 minutes, would have been less if my hands weren't so big.  I had to cut the rubber boot so that the LED head would fit through.  The first picture shows one new headlight and one old headlight so you can see the difference.  Second picture shows what it looks like from the back.  The LED headlight does not interfere with wiring or handlebar movement if you do it correctly.  I added a zip-tie to prevent the small box attached to the light from flopping around.

Took a test drive with the LED's installed after dark.  With low beams on, I immediately noticed there was much greater light output to the left and right.  Mailboxes and road signs were illuminated brightly compared to before.  The lights seemed to have good cutoff, and I don't think I was blinding oncoming drivers.  Huge difference and I was pleased.  Turned on high beams, and the side lighting reduced, shooting more light straight ahead.  I think it was brighter than the previous (stock) high beams, but not as dramatic as the low beam.  After I got back, I touched the fan & heat sink in back of the lights, and it was not hot.

Overall, I'm really satisfied with these headlights.  I had tried a different brand before but sent them back because I wasn't satisfied with the light pattern.  I'll keep this set, unless I find some problem before the 30-day no questions return period.
2016 Gray C14
Lake Stevens, WA

Offline JTX

• Crotch Rocket
  • TEXAS 2015 ZG14
  • AREA: South Central Area
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2018, 08:06:58 pm »
Clearwater lights just released a new LED.  Base price is $279. So theres no excuse to use cheap china crap on your C14 now if you can't afford the bigger ones.

https://www.clearwaterlights.com/collections/all-products/products/glendina

Offline smokin

• Tricycle
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2018, 11:29:00 pm »
I found these LED bulbs to be very good,fit with original headlamp seal rubber,excellent light in terms of low beam spread and cut off,high beam ok but with 2 20w LED driving lights mounted under mirrors high beam excellent.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Nighteye-H4-50W-8000LM-LED-Headlight-Kit-Light-Hi-Lo-Beam-Replace-Bulb-DRL-6500K/122447679198?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Offline Diz

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 12056
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2018, 09:58:46 am »
An industry member; GixxerHP does a complete LED change over. Improves visibility for you to see and be seen. Affordable. Maybe he will chime in

Offline Guest

• Bicycle
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2018, 12:28:20 pm »
I installed the H4 R3 LEDs from AdvMonster in my Concours 14.  So far I'm satisfied with them.

I installed the Hikari 9012 kit into my wife's Infiniti QX30.  She likes them.

I believe the Hikari have a higher lumen output, but I chose the R3's for my C14 because of the passive heatsink -- I preferred that over active fans.  They were an easy install, and no modifications were required.  The dust boot fit perfectly, and the passive heatsinks fit through the hole previously occupied by the factory wiring.  There is a small driver box, which I zip-tied to the existing wiring harness on either side of the bike.