Author Topic: Little help finding a front axle tool  (Read 8130 times)

Offline Cwo2mustang

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 9927
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
Re: Little help finding a front axle tool
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2013, 12:16:39 pm »
A picture is worth a thousand words.
That's exactly what I do, and it works great.

Offline slayer

• Bicycle
  • running on 1.21 Gigawatts
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2013, 12:31:14 pm »
the 3/4" bolt works like a champ,it's $35 in your pocket you didn't have to spend and works great,that set up has been in my tool box for years when I found I needed it for my SV1000,saved enough to buy a round for everyone  :beerchug: cheers !
if it's not broke,you're not trying hard enough

Offline jonathan

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2013, 12:49:38 pm »
If 1" = 25.4mm...
I can see squeezing a 7/8' something into a 22mm hole... but dang TimR, doesn't that 3/4" bolt-head mar the crap out of the inside of your axle?  :-\
3/4 bolts have a 7/8 head.... Should fit snug

It is a 7/8" bolt head and fits just about right. I was going to use the hex end of a sparkplug socket but mine doesn't have a hole big enough to allow a 3/8's extention to go in from the spark plug side. Finding a spark plug socket that would work was more expensive than buying a bolt and two nuts.  Tim

Yep...just checked all my 13/16 and 21 mm spark plug sockets and none of them will work.  Won't allow an extension from the other side....and the hex ends are both too small.  Probably do the 2 nuts and bolt idea.  I'll get it done tomorrow one way or another LOL.

If the socket won't allow you to insert the extension from the plug side (the wrong side) then put the socket on the correct way, but insert the extension through the axle first.
Calgary, Alberta

Offline TimR

• Global Moderator
  • Iron Butt
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 9032
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2013, 01:00:27 pm »
Yes putting the extention through the axle works too. The problem I was having is none of my spark plug sockets would fit the axle nut. No matter what I did, I was going to have to spend some money. The bolt and nuts was the cheapest. 
Blue 1975 Z1B 900, Red 09 C14     I might not be perfect but at least I don't ride a Suzuki

Offline JeffP

• Jeff In NC
  • Scooter
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 10856
« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2013, 02:03:59 pm »
+1 on the MotionPro tool. Works great and as a bonus also fits my front axle on my dirt bikes!
2008 Neutron Silver C14
2007 Honda CRF250R

Offline LakeTrax

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: North Central Area
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2013, 02:57:46 pm »
A 3/4" HEAVY hex head bolt has a 7/8" head. That was not mentioned in original post-
Good luck gettin' that axle out today Ken.

Offline Frosty

• Bicycle
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 9868
« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2013, 02:21:14 am »
Bought a 1/2" drive 22 mm socket (not an allen) at Lowes, then a 22 mm allen wrench at a local bolt store. Used a band saw to cut a piece off the allen to a length that was compact enough to carry, but long enough to clear everything. Use the socket and a 1/2" rachet to turn the piece of allen. Gives a precision fit in the axle, breaks down in small enough pieces that it's easy to pack. About $15.00 total. Just one more way to go...

Offline Baldy

• Tricycle
  • COG#: 11024
« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2013, 02:52:34 am »
Just a little update.  I had a hard time getting the axle nut off Thursday for a few reasons.  One of which the nut was severely over torqued.  I've been running my own business last few years and with 110 hour work weeks I've been having service done at shops.  I looked at 6 total 13/16 spark plug sockets and while it's a FANTASTIC idea I couldn't find any locally that would work.  So I ran with the bolt and two nut idea.  I found a 22 mill width nut that fits PERFECT.  My only issue was that I couldn't tighten it all down enough to stay put (even with 1.5 foot cheater bars helping).  Partly because of the over torque on the nut.  Didn't have a welder available till today and got it done!  Welded it together and with the cheater bar was finally able to remove it.  Thanks for all the help and the great ideas.  Should be back in action end of next week.

Offline Brass

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2013, 03:27:08 am »
Just a little update.  I had a hard time getting the axle nut off Thursday for a few reasons.  One of which the nut was severely over torqued.  I've been running my own business last few years and with 110 hour work weeks I've been having service done at shops.  I looked at 6 total 13/16 spark plug sockets and while it's a FANTASTIC idea I couldn't find any locally that would work.  So I ran with the bolt and two nut idea.  I found a 22 mill width nut that fits PERFECT.  My only issue was that I couldn't tighten it all down enough to stay put (even with 1.5 foot cheater bars helping).  Partly because of the over torque on the nut.  Didn't have a welder available till today and got it done!  Welded it together and with the cheater bar was finally able to remove it.  Thanks for all the help and the great ideas.  Should be back in action end of next week.

Did you loosen the pinch bolts?
Shaun - Collegeville PA
2017 Yamaha FZ-07

Offline Baldy

• Tricycle
  • COG#: 11024
« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2013, 07:05:47 am »
LOL... Sure did.   Just the nut side till I get that off.   Then the other and slide the axle out... Not my first rodeo.   I work in the auto industry and my shoulders are well practiced in degrees of torque.   Who ever put that nut on last had way north of 100 ft lbs on that bad boy.

Offline Brass

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #35 on: May 25, 2013, 10:57:20 am »
LOL... Sure did.   Just the nut side till I get that off.   Then the other and slide the axle out... Not my first rodeo.   I work in the auto industry and my shoulders are well practiced in degrees of torque.   Who ever put that nut on last had way north of 100 ft lbs on that bad boy.

Had to ask to make sure

The front axle is supposed to be torqued to 94 ft/lbs which is a lot, hope you get it off
Shaun - Collegeville PA
2017 Yamaha FZ-07

Offline Jay

• Scooter
  • AREA: Southwest Area
« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2013, 02:24:40 am »
I have no affiliation with No-Mar, just found what looked like a precision tool made by a US company at a fair price.
Ordered one last Thursday and it shipped on Friday.

------------------------------------

"Hex Axle Tool Adapter for removal and installation of Motorcycle Axles and wheels.

Alloy Steel with Yellow Zinc Plating. Tight Tolerance for best fit. This tool is very well made on our CNC machines.

MADE IN USA. Not imported like the others you see on eBay.

NO TORQUE LIMIT!! We found that the square drive in some of the "Other Brand" tools creates weakness under high torque and they can split.  NOT OURS!

Lifetime warranty for breakage. Made in our own No-Mar Machine Works. Top Quality. Did I say it Fits like a Snap-On. Other brands on eBay have loose tolerance and round off with only a few uses. As much as .5 mm slop in theirs.  NOT OURS! Ours is to .01mm."

Price: US $12.00 +FREE SHIPPING 48 state US only!!
All units are shipped daily after payment is received via:  USPS. One box 1 lbs.   Orders outside 48 state US ship USPS.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hex-Axle-Tool-17mm-19mm-22mm-24mm-Allen-wrench-adapter-/250644076547?pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&vxp=mtr&hash=item3a5b8d1803

http://www.nomartirechanger.com/
« Last Edit: May 26, 2013, 02:26:24 am by Jay »
- 2011 C14, Black
- 1979 KZ1000ST (Shaft Drive)
- 1976 Triumph Bonneville 750

Offline MC

• Tricycle
  • COG#: 1103
« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2013, 09:53:35 am »
Buy a large lug nut from Wallyworld, the type that you would use on a pickup truck.  It fits perfectly, comes in a set of four and it's cheap.  Leave one on the bike, one in the toolbox and give the spares to your buddies.  Chrome plated, no cutting, welding, ordering or screwing around.

Offline Fred_Wa2gzw

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 10400
« Reply #38 on: May 27, 2013, 12:41:04 am »
Sears/Craftsman works for me.