Author Topic: lower pegs  (Read 882 times)

Offline GIant81

• Moped
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 12285
  • Membership Level: Active
lower pegs
« on: February 12, 2018, 06:27:37 pm »
I'm looking at a lower set of pegs and wondering what all of the options are? 

currently I'm looking at Murph's lowering pegs for my 2009.  I don't want to lower the suspension so I'm pretty sure I won't have any clearance issues, but are there other options out there that lower any more than Murph's? 

Thanks!

Offline Speedy

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Re: lower pegs
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2018, 07:29:02 pm »
I'm in the same boat.  Here is what I have found thus far, in addition to Murph's:

Advanced Sport Touring offers plates that relocate the factory pegs, brake, clutch - Waiting on a reply to my e-mail
Motorcycle Larry seems to offer a bracket to lower just the factory pegs - my e-mail this weekend bounced back so not sure what the status is
buell ulysses (sp?) pegs are a very close fit (minor mod is necessary) and lower the pegs about an 1.5 in based on their design but they are pricey
Amazon is selling a set from Knight Design that lowers the peg via shape but is also pricey - like the Buell.

Anybody have any other options?
2012 Connie - Black is Beautiful! - Current (EVO Flashed)
2015 FZ09 - Matte Grey - Current
2001 CBR 929 RR - Sold
1995 CBR 600 F3 - Sold
1984 VF 700 F - Sold

Offline gsun

• Sport Tourer
  • CDA #560
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 9127
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2018, 11:37:11 pm »
I have Murphs and they are great. They are flat and have good grip. They are actually the same as stock as far as scraping because the stock ones have feelers on the bottom protruding down an inch.

Offline Doc

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 12697
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2018, 01:13:03 am »
+1 on Murph’s but I also love the Knight Designs on my VFR 800

Offline gsun

• Sport Tourer
  • CDA #560
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 9127
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2018, 04:20:03 am »
I'm in the same boat.  Here is what I have found thus far, in addition to Murph's:

Advanced Sport Touring offers plates that relocate the factory pegs, brake, clutch - Waiting on a reply to my e-mail
Motorcycle Larry seems to offer a bracket to lower just the factory pegs - my e-mail this weekend bounced back so not sure what the status is
buell ulysses (sp?) pegs are a very close fit (minor mod is necessary) and lower the pegs about an 1.5 in based on their design but they are pricey
Amazon is selling a set from Knight Design that lowers the peg via shape but is also pricey - like the Buell.

Don't bother with MC Larry's brackets. I tried them. They push your foot away from the bike and you have to pigeon toe to shift and brake. The AST bracket looks interesting. I don't think I would like to eliminate the heat shield though. Cutting a hole in it? Probably not a good idea but no experience with that. I do like the idea of moving the shifter and brake with the pegs. I have Murphs and I ended up not moving them. I find I can tuck my boot under the shifter for comfort and you get used to lifting your foot for shifting or braking.

Offline The Pope

• Crotch Rocket
  • North Carolina AAD
  • COG#: 9994
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2018, 10:04:25 am »
+1 for the Buell pegs. If you look around you can get them in either Silver or Black.

And for those who like to throw their bikes into the corners, the "feeler" off of the bottom of the Buell pegs is further away from the ground that the "feeler" on the stock peg at the stock mounting location.
The Pope
2011 Atomic Silver C-14 (aka TheImprovedSilverDammit)

"The Universe is a contest between engineers making things idiot-proof and God making bigger idiots. So far, God is winning by a wide margin." (Unknown author, well I don't know who said it.)

Offline ron203

• Officer
  • Iron Butt
  • COG#: 9847
  • Membership Level: Area Director
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2018, 11:26:06 am »

Don't bother with MC Larry's brackets. I tried them. They push your foot away from the bike and you have to pigeon toe to shift and brake. The AST bracket looks interesting. I don't think I would like to eliminate the heat shield though. Cutting a hole in it? Probably not a good idea but no experience with that. I do like the idea of moving the shifter and brake with the pegs. I have Murphs and I ended up not moving them. I find I can tuck my boot under the shifter for comfort and you get used to lifting your foot for shifting or braking.

I had the Murph's pegs on my C-10 and loved them because I have long legs. When I bought a C-14, I bought them for that, but could never quite get the brake adjusted to my liking. I tried all the fixes including grinding off the rod, etc. I looked around and finally decided to risk the coin for the AST lowering brackets. 

I EMAILED Ryan through his site late one day (about 4:00 pm) and asked two questions: 1) Have you got these parts in stock? 2) If I order in the next 10 minutes, will you ship today?  He responded (by email) almost immediately with 1) Yes, 2) Yes. So I ordered, not knowing what to expect, but he shipped immediately I got the parts in three days. Downside is that a follow up question to him via email about the heat shield cut out went unanswered.

They work well (for me). I DID cut out the heat shield, but a word of caution here. I took his drawing and scaled it UP to life size (same as the real one would turn out to be) using a photo editing program and played with it until I could cut out the exact size and pattern needed.

I cut it out, traced it with a Sharpie on the heat shield, then Dremeled it out. That little shield was harder than I thought, but when I was finished and smoothed the cut edges, it fits nicely and unobtrusively under the bracket.  I like these brackets. If I was Ryan, I'd just license them to Murph and step back. He'd sell tons of them.

My .02.
2014 C-14
2008 Goldwing

Offline Speedy

• Road Bike
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2018, 12:02:12 pm »
Thanks all for your input.

With regard to the post by the OP, I did read somewhere on this forum I think that someone had purchased the AST lowering plates and then added the MCL brackets to get close to a claimed 4" drop.  That seems excessive for my needs, but figured I'd put that out there for reference.

I'm still waiting for a reply to my e-mail to AST as I have a Delk exhaust and I'm not sure if I have the room below my brake to use his plates.  By my measurement, I'm only showing 1 inch of space between the bottom of the factory peg and my Delk exhaust (no heat shield), while his website claims a 1 3/8 inch drop.  Does anybody have any experience with this type of setup?

Thanks
2001 CBR 929 RR - Sold
1995 CBR 600 F3 - Sold
1984 VF 700 F - Sold

Offline Speedy

• Road Bike
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2018, 05:16:03 pm »
I just heard back from AST and they recommend against their lowering product with the Delk exhaust as they don't think there is room for the drop they provide.  So, I went with Murph's...
2001 CBR 929 RR - Sold
1995 CBR 600 F3 - Sold
1984 VF 700 F - Sold