Author Topic: McCruise  (Read 10112 times)

Offline kawcon14rider

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 8557
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: McCruise
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2015, 11:16:18 am »
ST no need to worry about engaging the cruise if the tank bag hits the controls. The cruise will not engage under 25mph, I hope you never lock the handlebars at 25mph. 
Sammie Timmons  COG# 8557  CDA#0291  AMA# 818592 SCAAD 74 GT380 totaled  74 GT750 totaled  80 GS850 totaled  05 Vulcan 750 traded  08 C14 my baby  08 Versys (my wife's) 2012 Ninja 250 [thanks Kawasaki for the gift]

Offline ST eater

• Road Bike
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 10456
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2015, 02:45:48 pm »
Just like my car, but then again, I don't want things hitting it unnecessarily. I think that's one of the reasons they recommend the the top switch. My real point was when doing a U turn or close quarters moving one can bump the switch, if you hit full lock at 25, things are going to fly bye you very fast, and that would totally suck! Thanks for the info, it's good to know for sure on something like that. Have a good day, finally a long weekend is almost here :beerchug:
Rich
2012 Concours
2004 ST1300 sold
1998 ST1100 sold
1991 ST1100 sold
IBA

Offline SilverConnieRider

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 11953
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2015, 12:48:50 am »
Just like my car, but then again, I don't want things hitting it unnecessarily. I think that's one of the reasons they recommend the the top switch. My real point was when doing a U turn or close quarters moving one can bump the switch, if you hit full lock at 25, things are going to fly bye you very fast, and that would totally suck! Thanks for the info, it's good to know for sure on something like that. Have a good day, finally a long weekend is almost here :beerchug:

Well I guess your decision has already been made so this is really not an issue for you anymore.   :great:

Maybe I missed it but I never saw a place where they "recommend" the top switch - just a place where you can choose either a top or bottom switch location
when you order - if neither is chosen, then I believe it defaults to the top switch.

But just in case anyone else wants to know, there is no way your going to "bump" the switch if it is mounted in the lower position.  IMO.
I have to reach with my thumb in order to push a button.  Some times I have found it easier to take my left had off the grip and then use
either my thumb or a finger to push the SET button.  IF someone was really worried about bumping the button while doing a tight turn - you could
then just turn the unit OFF and then if you bumped the button (which I don't believe is possible) then nothing would happen.

But to each his own - I like my control switch on the bottom - Now I do need to tell you I have risers so that helps.  You can mount it on the bottom without
risers but it would be much closer to the gas tank missing it by about ½" - ¾" or so.  With my risers on, the closest part of the control switch is about 2" away
from the gas tank, when the handlebars are turned fully to the left.  About the only time I can think of that the handlebars would be turned to the stops (while moving)
are maybe when backing out of my garage or doing a u-turn both maneuvers would be at very slow speeds where the cruise can't engage.  Again JMO. 

Offline Flat-spot

• Sport Tourer
  • COG#: 11111
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2015, 02:08:38 am »
There are many different sizes and shapes of tank bags (that the buttons can contact at full left lock).  I guess that's the element that you missed.  I have 4 tank bags,  2 of which I don't use any more because they honk the horn at the most awkward times.  Risers or adjustable handlebars are another variable that can cause trouble with control button contact with a tank bag.  If you would have read a little more carefully instead of coming to such an authoritative and definitive conclusion,  you would have noticed that the button interference problem was all about tank bags.  Concerning CC,  it's all moot anyway...no full lock happening at 25 mph.  That was already determined.  I have learned that it's important to read an entire thread very carefully before embarrassing myself with a reply that is not fully informed.  I still do it occasionally, though.

Well I guess your decision has already been made so this is really not an issue for you anymore.   :great:

Maybe I missed it but I never saw a place where they "recommend" the top switch - just a place where you can choose either a top or bottom switch location
when you order - if neither is chosen, then I believe it defaults to the top switch.

But just in case anyone else wants to know, there is no way your going to "bump" the switch if it is mounted in the lower position.  IMO.
I have to reach with my thumb in order to push a button.  Some times I have found it easier to take my left had off the grip and then use
either my thumb or a finger to push the SET button.  IF someone was really worried about bumping the button while doing a tight turn - you could
then just turn the unit OFF and then if you bumped the button (which I don't believe is possible) then nothing would happen.

But to each his own - I like my control switch on the bottom - Now I do need to tell you I have risers so that helps.  You can mount it on the bottom without
risers but it would be much closer to the gas tank missing it by about ½" - ¾" or so.  With my risers on, the closest part of the control switch is about 2" away
from the gas tank, when the handlebars are turned fully to the left.  About the only time I can think of that the handlebars would be turned to the stops (while moving)
are maybe when backing out of my garage or doing a u-turn both maneuvers would be at very slow speeds where the cruise can't engage.  Again JMO. 
« Last Edit: May 23, 2015, 02:25:54 am by Flat-spot »
'08 C14
There is no such thing as too much ammo, unless you are on fire or trying to swim.

Offline cuda

• Crotch Rocket
  • Ignorance Is Bliss.
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 11405
« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2015, 09:05:59 am »
I LIKE my switch on top , and not because of any tank bag issues, being on top is more convenient :campfire:
We have invented the world WE see .
It takes 20 years  to build a reputation and 5 minutes to lose it...   - Cog 11405

Offline RonLyke

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2015, 05:58:21 pm »
I ordered the top.

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2015, 02:13:31 pm »
I ordered the top.

It will be interesting to here what you think of the quality of the product and how your install goes.

Since you ordered the top maybe you can take a pictures of that.   :beerchug:

Offline RonLyke

• Tricycle
« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2015, 12:29:06 am »
I had it installed by the dealer & picked it up last Thursday. It works great! No more chasing the speedometer needle up & down. The dealer said the instructions were very clear---a long job, but straight forward with no surprises. Looks great, too---like it came with the bike.

Offline backoutonthehighway

• Road Bike
  • ATGMOTT/MOTGAOTT
    • Back Out On The Highway
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 9952
« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2015, 07:11:55 pm »
I had it installed by the dealer & picked it up last Thursday. It works great! No more chasing the speedometer needle up & down. The dealer said the instructions were very clear---a long job, but straight forward with no surprises. Looks great, too---like it came with the bike.

And what kind sir, if you don't mind sharing, did you pay for said installation?
2011 Kawasaki Concours 14
2006 Kawasaki 1500 Vulcan Clasic
2003 Yamaha Star 650 (Sold)

Offline RonLyke

• Tricycle
« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2015, 09:25:37 am »

The whole thing---parts, labor & tax=about $1800.00.  An awful amount of money, but I really didn't want to spend time twisting my 68 year old lame back into cramps & spasms when I could pay someone else to do it. I recommend the unit, but the cost of installation may not be for everyone. On the other hand, I see other owners of various bikes spending a lot more than that on accessories - farkles - that do nothing to enhance the functionality of the bike. To each his own, I guess.  FWIW

Offline Flat-spot

• Sport Tourer
« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2015, 10:37:35 am »

The whole thing---parts, labor & tax=about $1800.00.  An awful amount of money, but I really didn't want to spend time twisting my 68 year old lame back into cramps & spasms when I could pay someone else to do it. I recommend the unit, but the cost of installation may not be for everyone. On the other hand, I see other owners of various bikes spending a lot more than that on accessories - farkles - that do nothing to enhance the functionality of the bike. To each his own, I guess.  FWIW

Boy-o-boy did you smack the truth nail on the head with that statement!  I wish I would've bought better suspension before I bought more horsepower.  Hmm...hindsight. :(
'08 C14
There is no such thing as too much ammo, unless you are on fire or trying to swim.

Offline RonLyke

• Tricycle
« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2015, 07:22:03 pm »
I certainly hope I didn't offend anyone with that statement;  it's just an acknowledgement that there are different choices that may be made.

Offline Flat-spot

• Sport Tourer
« Reply #37 on: July 02, 2015, 10:03:44 pm »
Nah, don't worry 'bout it, Ron.  I was bein' sincere.  I love the power, but really wish I could afford suspension right now. 
I'm pretty good at offending, myself, but I get over it.  :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
'08 C14

Offline backoutonthehighway

• Road Bike
  • ATGMOTT/MOTGAOTT
    • Back Out On The Highway
  • COG#: 9952
« Reply #38 on: July 03, 2015, 03:57:30 pm »

Thanks. That's about what I guessed, but it is nice to have confirmation. My farkles so far are weighted heavily into safety/protection (modulators, reflective stickers, canyon cages, tank protectors, etc...), comfort (saddle, risers, windscreen, ports for heated gear etc...), or functionality (powered tankbag, bag-liners, etc...)

Just now thinking about performance upgrades (other than tires - those were first) like the cruise control, reflashing, and suspension.

2011 Kawasaki Concours 14
2006 Kawasaki 1500 Vulcan Clasic
2003 Yamaha Star 650 (Sold)

Offline RonLyke

• Tricycle
« Reply #39 on: July 04, 2015, 08:31:06 am »
The first things I bought were the Canyon cages---Tupperware's expensive! Fortunately, I haven't yet tested my tipover switch. I bought the bike as a demonstrator with about 40 miles on it, and it came with Heli-Bars, which I love!

Offline Dave_Wilton

• Mini Bike
  • COG#: 9111
« Reply #40 on: July 06, 2015, 01:21:35 am »
I put mc cruise on a couple of years ago. Works pretty good. Cuts down on fatigue by keeping speed under control. Total cost for me, installed, was under $1500 Cdn....that was when our dollar was near par. Wouldn't want a C14 without cruise now.

Offline BerndV

• Bicycle
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 11937
« Reply #41 on: July 10, 2015, 02:34:53 pm »
I just ordered one.  I'm gonna install it myself...I enjoy working on my machines, it's half the fun. 
Home: Kalispell, MT
My garage:
2015 Kawasaki Concours 14, MC Cruise, V&H CS One, SiSF Flash, Garmin Zumo, EarthX Lithium, etc., etc.
2013 Kawasaki ZX14R, Yoshimura R-77, Ivan Flash, PCV, Rotobox Carbon Fiber Wheels
2016 Mercedes E63 S AMG, AMS ECU Flash, AMS Catless DP's

Offline ST eater

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 10456
« Reply #42 on: July 10, 2015, 09:21:02 pm »
I have about 1500mi on my MC now, love it. Took about 5-6hrs to install. Worked like a charm first time, take your time, great instructions. Have fun doing it, it's not that bad.
Rich
2012 Concours
2004 ST1300 sold
1998 ST1100 sold
1991 ST1100 sold
IBA

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #43 on: July 25, 2015, 02:14:58 am »
I just ordered one.  I'm gonna install it myself...I enjoy working on my machines, it's half the fun.

So did you get it installed?

I agree that if you take your time the unit will work very well for you.
I needed a little fine tuning but it has been running great.  Hard to believe how well it holds the speed even going up hills.

Be forewarned that you might not want to ride with other people that don't have a cruise control as it becomes very
noticeable that they can't hold a steady speed.  Best advice I can give there is LEAD don't follow as that seems to be better then
them slowing down and you either having to slow down or cancel the cruise control just because they can't hold a steady speed.

Funny, the little things you notice when you have the right equipment.  It's more car-like on longer trips.

I know that I wouldn't want to be without a cruise control on any bike ever again.   :great:

I know IF I ever get another road bike in my life, it will either have cruise control from the factory or it will be on the list
of McCruise units available for whatever bike I choose or I will pass the bike by,  if it's not available - that's how much I believe in a cruise for a bike.  ;D
« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 01:07:45 am by SilverConnieRider »

Offline Bubba

• Bicycle
  • Bubba It
  • COG#: 12117
« Reply #44 on: July 25, 2015, 02:10:17 pm »
Been waiting around a month to install mine. Waiting for area p system and ak-20/penske tp show up first so I can knock out and tear down one time and send off ecu. But one thing I havent seen in many of the posts is pre install/out of the box picture.  So here yall go. After reading instructions a few times and wiring a few race cars, this looks to be about as close to plug and play as it gets. Instructions are clear and the pictures are step by step. Cant wait to install  once the last goodies come in.
All thats left to do is everything. 2013 Black C14.

Offline Cap'n Bob

• GOLD STAR
  • COG#: 7134
« Reply #45 on: July 25, 2015, 05:10:41 pm »
I have installed a couple of the older vacuum versions on bikes. And have personally owned two systems on different motorcycles over many years. I have never had any problems at all other than the one I created myself when I inadvertently hit a button and changed on of the settings.  :-[