Author Topic: Murphs bearing shifter kit  (Read 10224 times)

Offline Boston Bagger

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: Forum (M)
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Re: Murphs bearing shifter kit
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2014, 02:00:12 pm »
Parts List for Making Your Own Bearing Upshifter Kit

(5) 8mm x 14mm x 4mm wide bearings off eBay or from VXB.com 

Here is an example of a 10 pack:   
http://www.vxb.com/page/bearings/PROD/Alvey/MR148ZZ?gclid=Cj0KEQjwvLGfBRDfkrr19KDS-7YBEiQA8CoFJ76VvgINk20rmoBs38oV_6t56ZI0V6KhqX9HYzjYa48aAhG_8P8HAQ

The standard metric bolt shank is 8 mm, and 14mm is the diameter of the shifter. 

I’m using a stainless steel standard metric bolt M8 x 1.25 x 40mm in place of the stock bolt. 

Murph made spacers—I just used 5 bearings and never had any issues with the shifter migrating sideways. 

This is an example of what it looks like from my last bike - a BMW. 

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 5977
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2016, 05:38:28 pm »
Parts List for Making Your Own Bearing Upshifter Kit

(5) 8mm x 14mm x 4mm wide bearings off eBay or from VXB.com 

Here is an example of a 10 pack:   
http://www.vxb.com/page/bearings/PROD/Alvey/MR148ZZ?gclid=Cj0KEQjwvLGfBRDfkrr19KDS-7YBEiQA8CoFJ76VvgINk20rmoBs38oV_6t56ZI0V6KhqX9HYzjYa48aAhG_8P8HAQ

The standard metric bolt shank is 8 mm, and 14mm is the diameter of the shifter. 

I’m using a stainless steel standard metric bolt M8 x 1.25 x 40mm in place of the stock bolt. 

Murph made spacers—I just used 5 bearings and never had any issues with the shifter migrating sideways. 

This is an example of what it looks like from my last bike - a BMW.

seeing as someone linked this in a recent post, I have a couple comments...... ::)

stacking multiple bearings without spacers, simply creats a bushing, when you tighten the bolt, it pulls both the inner and outer races up solid...
what benefit is this??? none.

secondly, your link is for shielded bearings, not sealed bearings... shielded bearings are worthless in this application, and you still have to buy 10 @ $24 which exceded the murphkit price right off....
now add in the cost factor for stainless steel, which seemed to be your criteria, and proper seals.....
the price went up substantially.....

http://www.vxb.com/8x14x4-Stainless-Steel-Miniature-Pack-of-10-p/kit8945.htm

finally, posting a cheaper, and non functioning alternative, to an industry members product, is just plain rude.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2016, 05:54:19 pm by MAN OF BLUES »

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline IAStan

• Tricycle
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 6090
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2016, 11:31:58 pm »
I put it on because I figured the plastic sleeve would wear out.  This should prevent that and keep the shifter working correctly much longer.  Pretty cheap insurance.

Offline rcannon409

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2016, 02:53:54 pm »
I make my own things as often as I can. Its  a great way to learn and save money. However, theres a point where it makes no sense, and I think Phil found it. Plus, stacking five bearings is not a smart idea as MOB mentioned.

Unless I had bearings in stock, the amount of money saved here will be , what, maybe 8.00 total?

Murph only charges 21.00 for the entire kit.  If it were 42000.00, and I needed several, sure.

Its a good mod, and worth while to do. Some of the play is eliminated in the linkage. My old sv 650 had 25,000 miles on it and the shift bolt had a ton of play in it. This eliminates that wear point.

As far as stainless hardware goes, I suppose its awesome to have 1 stainless bolt in the bike?

« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 02:59:57 pm by rcannon409 »
Ivans Ecu reflash, Brembo front rotors