Author Topic: Murph’s wedge install...  (Read 398 times)

Offline AwesomeDad

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Murph’s wedge install...
« on: January 18, 2019, 05:07:57 pm »
Ok learning experience for today. I should have taken pics but I think the brain trust can follow along. Easy way to install wedges for your handle bars. I followed the instructions for the left side and it was a PITA. So here is the trick I used on the right side. Remove the top and middle bolts as per the instructions. However leave the bottom bolt in and loose. This will allow you to raise the bar assembly and slide the thick part of the wedge in place and install the longer bolt and washer per the instructions. Now start the longer bolt just enough to hold the bar in place. Now remove the bottom bolt, rotate the wedge into its normal position and install the other to bolts and washers. Torque as per the instructions and your done...

JJ

Offline Craigmri

• Training Wheels
  • COG#: forum
Re: Murph’s wedge install...
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2019, 06:49:45 pm »
Ok learning experience for today. I should have taken pics but I think the brain trust can follow along. Easy way to install wedges for your handle bars. I followed the instructions for the left side and it was a PITA. So here is the trick I used on the right side. Remove the top and middle bolts as per the instructions. However leave the bottom bolt in and loose. This will allow you to raise the bar assembly and slide the thick part of the wedge in place and install the longer bolt and washer per the instructions. Now start the longer bolt just enough to hold the bar in place. Now remove the bottom bolt, rotate the wedge into its normal position and install the other to bolts and washers. Torque as per the instructions and your done...

JJ

JJ, Did you install the wedges with or without riser blocks?  What is your impression of your current setup?

Craig

Offline AwesomeDad

• Training Wheels
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2019, 09:46:32 pm »

JJ

JJ, Did you install the wedges with or without riser blocks?  What is your impression of your current setup?

Craig
I have the 2” risers as well. Haven’t got to ride yet but just sitting on it feels so much better. Like my hands fall into a natural position. Once I get back home I’ll do a test ride.

JJ

Offline Craigmri

• Training Wheels
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2019, 10:06:38 pm »

JJ

Craig
I have the 2” risers as well. Haven’t got to ride yet but just sitting on it feels so much better. Like my hands fall into a natural position. Once I get back home I’ll do a test ride.

JJ

Cant wait to get your impressions.

Craig

Offline Tundra

• 2012 Candy Arabian Red
  • Bicycle
  • "SPORT" tourer
  • COG#: 12916
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2019, 10:20:41 am »
Can you install the wedges and riser blocks with stock cables? Any other modifications required?
« Last Edit: January 19, 2019, 10:24:51 am by Tundra »

Offline ghostrider990

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 12649
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2019, 01:32:57 am »
I used Superglue for both wedges and angled washers.

It was a pain, but worked.  As luck would have it, I just removed mine after four years to clean and lube the Steering Stem.

I dreaded the day I had to do this, as I was certain I stripped one of the main bolts, but it seems to be ok.

I hope this is easier on the second go-round.  ::)

gr
..."I like to keep this handy -- for Close Encounters"...

Offline AwesomeDad

• Training Wheels
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2019, 09:53:11 pm »
I used Superglue for both wedges and angled washers.

It was a pain, but worked.  As luck would have it, I just removed mine after four years to clean and lube the Steering Stem.

I dreaded the day I had to do this, as I was certain I stripped one of the main bolts, but it seems to be ok.

I hope this is easier on the second go-round.  ::)

gr
I torqued the bolts to 18’LBS and they seem snug. Wonder if I should recheck them after a few rides. Also seems like a lot of people had issues getting them centered to put the plastic caps back on...

JJ
« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 05:59:55 pm by AwesomeDad »

Offline ghostrider990

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 12649
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2019, 12:31:58 pm »
Can you install the wedges and riser blocks with stock cables? Any other modifications required?

Yes. And no other modifications required (see below)

It's recommended that you loosen the banjo bolts on the bottom of the handlebars to gain more slack from the OEM lines.  It's tight, but it works.

Had mine on for four years, no issues.  :great:

gr
..."I like to keep this handy -- for Close Encounters"...