Author Topic: Need Service Manual for 2011  (Read 11672 times)

Offline RoadRocket

• Scooter
  • Carving Mountains in N.C.
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 10781
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
Need Service Manual for 2011
« on: May 04, 2012, 10:59:02 am »
Does anyone know where I can get or purchase the service manual for my 2011 Concours besides the dealer @ $85.00. What a rip off for sure.  >:(

I did my first oil change last night at the 600 mile mark and would like to have the manual for further references. Torque values and general information.

I saw a CD for 20.00 bucks on ebay, but it's not my year (2009 and older) and it is 30 meg in size.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 11:01:37 am by RoadRocket »
2011 Kawasaki Concours
2009 Suzuki Hayabusa
2003 Honda Goldwing
2006 Yamaha Stratoliner
2005 Honda ST
2002 Yamaha Roadstar
2001 Suzuki Hayabusa
2000 Yamaha Royal Star
2003 Suzuki Volusia 800
1999 Suzuki Intruder
1995 Honda Magna
1985 Honda Nighthawk
1974 Harley Sportster

Email: Roadstar515@bellsouth.net

Offline Mad River Marc

• Sport Tourer
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 8442
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: Need Service Manual for 2011
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2012, 12:01:29 pm »
I got mine from ronayers   but IIRC it was in the 80 dollar range....

You only need two tools in life – WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn’t move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn’t move and does, use the duct tape.

Offline Gypsy JR

• American Gypsy
  • I Need a Life
  • Living the Gypsy Life
  • COG#: 9279
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2012, 12:08:16 pm »
If you registered your VIN at kawasaki.com you can go to parts and then the manuals section, and order the service manual and/or download the operators manual.

Or, you can just ask your dealership's parts counter people to order it for you.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2017 Forest River Flagstaff Super-V 27VRL travel trailer
Where are you? [insert random forest name]

Offline RoadRocket

• Scooter
  • Carving Mountains in N.C.
  • COG#: 10781
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2012, 12:12:52 pm »
Im trying to find it somewhere else for less than $80.00 I have found other makes of motorcycle manuals on-line for free, or next to nothing.   :(

Just can't seem to find the Concours
2011 Kawasaki Concours
2009 Suzuki Hayabusa
2003 Honda Goldwing
2006 Yamaha Stratoliner
2005 Honda ST
2002 Yamaha Roadstar
2001 Suzuki Hayabusa
2000 Yamaha Royal Star
2003 Suzuki Volusia 800
1999 Suzuki Intruder
1995 Honda Magna
1985 Honda Nighthawk
1974 Harley Sportster

Email: Roadstar515@bellsouth.net

Offline Gypsy JR

• American Gypsy
  • I Need a Life
  • Living the Gypsy Life
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2012, 12:18:06 pm »
Im trying to find it somewhere else for less than $80.00 I have found other makes of motorcycle manuals on-line for free, or next to nothing.   :(

Just can't seem to find the Concours

Kawasaki Heavy Industries wants you to pay for the service manual, since they own it and hold copyright on it.  ;)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline wyland

• Bicycle
  • COG#: 9675
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2012, 03:39:54 pm »
got mine in paper form for 40$ on ebay.
2011 Concours 14

Offline Bobby

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2012, 02:41:31 am »
I found the "Green Manuals" on Ebay for about $15.  They are on CD.  I have no experience with these but they seem legitimate.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HIGH-DEF-2010-2012-Kawasaki-Concours-1400-ABS-Repair-Maintenance-Manual-/261012553210#ht_5780wt_1163

Bobby
My worst fear is, when I die, that my wife will sell all of my motorcycles for what I told her I paid for them.

Offline Gypsy JR

• American Gypsy
  • I Need a Life
  • Living the Gypsy Life
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2012, 09:30:48 am »
I found the "Green Manuals" on Ebay for about $15.  They are on CD.  I have no experience with these but they seem legitimate.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HIGH-DEF-2010-2012-Kawasaki-Concours-1400-ABS-Repair-Maintenance-Manual-/261012553210#ht_5780wt_1163

Bobby

Why do they seem ligitimate?

Offline Bobby

• Mini Bike
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2012, 11:03:40 am »

Bobby

Why do they seem ligitimate?

The seller has 2,475 positive feed-backs (100%).  That is hard to do if your items usually do not match the descriptions.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 11:06:05 am by Bobby »
My worst fear is, when I die, that my wife will sell all of my motorcycles for what I told her I paid for them.

Offline Necron99

• Crotch Rocket
  • rise again....
  • COG#: 9384
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2012, 11:38:21 am »
The item is probably the service manual, to be sure.  Legit?  Well...illegal copyright infringement... if that's your definition of legit...  If someone went into a Kawasaki dealership and shoplifted a service manual and sold it to you, it would be a real service manual, but you wouldn't have received it legitimately. 

Do I think Kawasaki grossly overprices their service manuals?  Yes.  But it's important to know what it is you're getting - an illegal copy.

Offline ConcoursKZ

• Sport Tourer
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2012, 11:58:11 am »
I understand the price of a paper shop manual. But why can't they give you a CD version when you buy a bike. Or have one at the Kawasaki Site to download. Lawnmowers, appliances, guns, bbq's and many more items have them.
2008 Concours ABS 1976 KZ 900 B1   CDA#387
“Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.”

Offline S Smith

• Northeast Area Director
  • Officer
  • I Need a Life
    • COG Northeast Area Home Page
  • COG#: 3184
  • Membership Level: Administrator
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2012, 12:29:44 pm »
I understand the price of a paper shop manual. But why can't they give you a CD version when you buy a bike. Or have one at the Kawasaki Site to download. Lawnmowers, appliances, guns, bbq's and many more items have them.

Yes... the cost of publishing is high today.  I can attest that school textbooks can cost in excess of $150.   It's not just the cost of paper and publishing.  There are the costs associated in developing a service document of this magnitude.  The service manual for a C14 is at least twice as thick as that for a C10.... around 2" or so.  The service manual for the items mentioned above are far less complicated than that of a motorcycle or car.  BTW - When was the last time an automobile manufacturers gave a service  manual away with purchase?

« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 12:31:53 pm by S Smith »
| Steve Smith | COG #3184 | MSF/CONREP RC |

There is more to be gained by members raising hands saying "I'll do that" instead of pointing fingers saying "nobody's doing that."

Offline Bobby

• Mini Bike
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2012, 12:54:11 pm »
The item is probably the service manual, to be sure.  Legit?  Well...illegal copyright infringement... if that's your definition of legit...  If someone went into a Kawasaki dealership and shoplifted a service manual and sold it to you, it would be a real service manual, but you wouldn't have received it legitimately. 

Do I think Kawasaki grossly overprices their service manuals?  Yes.  But it's important to know what it is you're getting - an illegal copy.

He claims that his manuals are not scans.  He also claims that he has the digital source data when creating the CD's.  This leads me to believe there is not any copyright infringement.  Also, I doubt he would be able to stay in business on a public site like Ebay if he was selling these CD's illegally.  That said, the OP was looking for a cheaper version of the service manual.  I found one on Ebay.  I'll probably buy one, if I go to jail for copyright infringement, I'll post a warning to others.

Offline Gypsy JR

• American Gypsy
  • I Need a Life
  • Living the Gypsy Life
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2012, 01:23:43 pm »

He claims that his manuals are not scans.  He also claims that he has the digital source data when creating the CD's.  This leads me to believe there is not any copyright infringement.  Also, I doubt he would be able to stay in business on a public site like Ebay if he was selling these CD's illegally.  That said, the OP was looking for a cheaper version of the service manual.  I found one on Ebay.  I'll probably buy one, if I go to jail for copyright infringement, I'll post a warning to others.

We will find out. I dropped a dime on him.

Offline Gypsy JR

• American Gypsy
  • I Need a Life
  • Living the Gypsy Life
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2012, 01:37:44 pm »

Even if it is copyright infringement (and it is, KHI has not licensed him to reproduce it, so ex post facto it is copyright infringement) they would not prosecute you, the buyer. They may trade that perk for a statement of who you purchased it from.

You are safe.  :beerchug:

Offline Bobby

• Mini Bike
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2012, 02:22:39 pm »

Even if it is copyright infringement (and it is, KHI has not licensed him to reproduce it, so ex post facto it is copyright infringement) they would not prosecute you, the buyer. They may trade that perk for a statement of who you purchased it from.

You are safe.  :beerchug:

I've prepared a statement just in case  ;)...  Did the guy offer any other insights into his business?  It's interesting that he was so up front about his copyright infringement. 
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 02:24:48 pm by Bobby »

Offline Mad River Marc

• Sport Tourer
  • COG#: 8442
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2012, 03:23:30 pm »
It is illegal,   he can say he has the original source all he wants but all he will give u is a CD with a PDF on it,   I don't even see the option on Kawasaki's website for a CD,   It's not legit regardless of what he says
You only need two tools in life – WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn’t move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn’t move and does, use the duct tape.

Offline Bobby

• Mini Bike
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2012, 03:59:11 pm »
It is illegal,   he can say he has the original source all he wants but all he will give u is a CD with a PDF on it,   I don't even see the option on Kawasaki's website for a CD,   It's not legit regardless of what he says

It would still be interesting to hear his take on the subject.  I went ahead and bought one.  It may turn out to be garbage.  If it is, I should be covered by eBay's buyer protection. 

Bobby
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 04:21:17 pm by Bobby »

Offline Bobby

• Mini Bike
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2012, 04:14:22 pm »
One more thing... If this guy is breaking the law, he is doing it in a very overt manner.  He has a website set up where you can buy directly from him.  I would think one of the many manufacturers would have shut him down by now if his operation was not legitimate?   

http://www.green-manuals.com/

Offline garyp

• Tricycle
  • COG#: 10084
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2012, 04:21:23 pm »
Looks like folks might be afraid this deal is going away, they are selling like hotcakes.  Looks like they sold several in the past hour.

Offline Cap'n Bob

• GOLD STAR
  • COG#: 7134
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2012, 05:02:52 pm »
These threads are always good for some debates.   :popcorn:

Offline Bobby

• Mini Bike
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2012, 05:05:08 pm »
Here is a good question.  Are the service manuals actually copyrighted?   

Offline ConcoursKZ

• Sport Tourer
  • AREA: North Central Area
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2012, 06:22:47 pm »
Would it be ok if it was China instead of Japan?
2008 Concours ABS 1976 KZ 900 B1   CDA#387
“Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.”

Offline jonathan

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Northwest Area
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2012, 06:40:51 pm »

Yes, the creator by default owns the copyright to his/their creations. It is not something that you have to legally apply for, it is automatically yours.
Calgary, Alberta

Offline Gypsy JR

• American Gypsy
  • I Need a Life
  • Living the Gypsy Life
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2012, 06:49:33 pm »

Yes, the creator by default owns the copyright to his/their creations. It is not something that you have to legally apply for, it is automatically yours.

I have the service manual for my 2012 purchased from Kawasaki, delivered to my dealer, picked up by me. On like page 3 or something it says, clearly, you may not copy or reproduce in any way this document or the contents of this document.

And it shows the copyright date and symbol.

Now, we know KHI did not send a letter to this guy saying go ahead and make copies and sell them on CDs, so we know he is committing a crime.

I dimed him to CopyNot and Kawasaki. If KHI chooses not protect their copyright, then more power to this eBay guy and everyone else.