Author Topic: Need Service Manual for 2011  (Read 11720 times)

Offline Bobby

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Re: Need Service Manual for 2011
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2012, 07:31:50 pm »
Here is a good question.  Are the service manuals actually copyrighted?

Yes, the creator by default owns the copyright to his/their creations. It is not something that you have to legally apply for, it is automatically yours.

I have the service manual for my 2012 purchased from Kawasaki, delivered to my dealer, picked up by me. On like page 3 or something it says, clearly, you may not copy or reproduce in any way this document or the contents of this document.

And it shows the copyright date and symbol.

Now, we know KHI did not send a letter to this guy saying go ahead and make copies and sell them on CDs, so we know he is committing a crime.

I dimed him to CopyNot and Kawasaki. If KHI chooses not protect their copyright, then more power to this eBay guy and everyone else.

This guy is not the creator of Green Manuals.  He simply sells them.  How do you KNOW Green Manuals does not have permission?
Also, I noticed the Green Manuals themselves are copyrighted.  Can you copyright something that was created off a copyright infringement?
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 07:48:22 pm by Bobby »
My worst fear is, when I die, that my wife will sell all of my motorcycles for what I told her I paid for them.

Offline Cap'n Bob

• GOLD STAR
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 7134
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2012, 07:55:28 pm »

All rights reserved. No parts of this publication may be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or
transmitted in any form or by any means, electronic mechanical photocopying, recording or otherwise,
without the prior written permission of Quality Assurance Division/Consumer Products & Machinery
Company/Kawasaki Heavy Industries, Ltd., Japan.
No liability can be accepted for any inaccuracies or omissions in this publication, although every possible
care has been taken to make it as complete and accurate as possible.
The right is reserved to make changes at any time without prior notice and without incurring an obligation
to make such changes to products manufactured previously. See your Motorcycle dealer for the latest
information on product improvements incorporated after this publication.
All information contained in this publication is based on the latest product information available at the time
of publication. Illustrations and photographs in this publication are intended for reference use only and may
not depict actual model component parts.
© 2007 Kawasaki Heavy Industries, Ltd. First Edition (1): June 29, 2007 (M)

Offline Bobby

• Mini Bike
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2012, 08:09:07 pm »

All rights reserved. No parts of this publication may be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or
transmitted in any form or by any means, electronic mechanical photocopying, recording or otherwise,
without the prior written permission of Quality Assurance Division/Consumer Products & Machinery
Company/Kawasaki Heavy Industries, Ltd., Japan.
No liability can be accepted for any inaccuracies or omissions in this publication, although every possible
care has been taken to make it as complete and accurate as possible.
The right is reserved to make changes at any time without prior notice and without incurring an obligation
to make such changes to products manufactured previously. See your Motorcycle dealer for the latest
information on product improvements incorporated after this publication.
All information contained in this publication is based on the latest product information available at the time
of publication. Illustrations and photographs in this publication are intended for reference use only and may
not depict actual model component parts.
© 2007 Kawasaki Heavy Industries, Ltd. First Edition (1): June 29, 2007 (M)

Well that answers that question...However...
Does it not seem odd that this guy is able to commit copyright infringement by selling Green Manuals for Honda, KTM, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Can-AM, Harley Davidson, and Suzuki motorcycles without reprisal?  Especially considering there are people with the vigilance of folks like JR out there?  It just seems like there is more to this story... Either way, mine has already shipped, and I'm glad to have saved the $70, but, I'd still like to know more about the operation.
My worst fear is, when I die, that my wife will sell all of my motorcycles for what I told her I paid for them.

Offline S Smith

• Northeast Area Director
  • Officer
  • I Need a Life
    • COG Northeast Area Home Page
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 3184
  • Membership Level: Administrator
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2012, 09:21:15 pm »
I found the "Green Manuals" on Ebay for about $15.  They are on CD.  I have no experience with these but they seem legitimate.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HIGH-DEF-2010-2012-Kawasaki-Concours-1400-ABS-Repair-Maintenance-Manual-/261012553210#ht_5780wt_1163

Bobby

Maybe I'm missing something, but it looks like he sells the same thing for less on his website.
| Steve Smith | COG #3184 |

There is more to be gained by members raising hands saying "I'll do that" instead of pointing fingers saying "nobody's doing that."

Offline Bobby

• Mini Bike
« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2012, 10:03:07 pm »
I am going to eat some crow here.  I've had some email correspondence with the guy this afternoon.  He definitely does not have the permission of Kawasaki to reproduce these manuals and sell them.  However, JR, your "dime" will likely have no effect whatsoever.  There are literally hundreds of thousands of these manuals out there and the manufacturers do not seem to care.  They aren't trying to make money on their french fries by selling ketchup.  It's wrong for this guy to be selling these manuals online.  That said, I didn't know up front that he was illegally selling them.  Truth be told, I may have bought one anyway.  It's a shop manual for crying out loud.  Flame away.

Offline Gypsy JR

• American Gypsy
  • I Need a Life
  • Living the Gypsy Life
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 9279
« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2012, 04:36:20 pm »
Just so you know, Kawasaki has failed to defend copyright on the ZX14R Service Manual, and therefore is probably stripped of copyright protection henceforth. The law says if you are made aware of a copyright violation (they were) and do not take action, you lose copyright protection.

Since they won't defend that, chances are they won't defend any service manual.

Post away.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2017 Forest River Flagstaff Super-V 27VRL travel trailer
Where are you? [insert random forest name]

Offline Kapernicus

• Tricycle
  • I can resist everything except temptation.
  • COG#: 9931
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2012, 05:27:27 pm »
If you're in a pinch and need one right away, just do a google search for "gtr1400.pdf" and you'll find several sites for downloading the service manual, but do so at your own risk...   :-X   
2012 C-14
2006 C-10 (sold)
2007 HD Nightster (sold)
2004 Ducati Monster 800 (sold)

Offline Gypsy JR

• American Gypsy
  • I Need a Life
  • Living the Gypsy Life
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 9279
« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2012, 12:22:25 am »
If you're in a pinch and need one right away, just do a google search for "gtr1400.pdf" and you'll find several sites for downloading the service manual, but do so at your own risk...   :-X

Make sure you are running anti-virus (norton or mcafee) and scan it before opening it.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2017 Forest River Flagstaff Super-V 27VRL travel trailer
Where are you? [insert random forest name]

Offline Rony6ble

• Bicycle
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 12513
« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2016, 03:00:12 am »
Don't know if this is correct or not (also the cover photo shows 08-09); is there much difference?
http://mototh.com/files/kawasaki/1400GTR/Kawasaki-1400GTR-Service-Manual.pdf

I bought one for about $10 and now that I want one for the '11 can't find anything...

Concours 14 2011
Concours 14 2009 RIP
GPZ 400 & Ninja 250
IBA# 57875 COG# 12513

Offline ConcoursKZ

• Sport Tourer
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
« Reply #35 on: May 07, 2016, 10:11:22 pm »
If someone wants a pdf version of the 08 model pm me.
2008 Concours ABS 1976 KZ 900 B1   CDA#387
“Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.”

Online MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #36 on: May 07, 2016, 10:27:32 pm »
If someone wants a pdf version of the 08 model pm me.

don't make me drop a dime on ya...... :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

just kidding....

back when there were no manuals on USA shores, when I bought my bike, I ended up buying  1400Ninja manual, for like $80... just so I had some specs to run with as tech editor, knowing the engines and systems were almost the same...
I will admit, that prior to Kawasaki personally sending me the second copy to hit the shore..(the ink smell was awesome, so was the look on the tech's faces at Canaan valley when I showed it to them..). I went online, and found a FREE download of it... it was like 28mb, and took forever to download, but as it was FREE it is not considered in my mind, as a copy infringment... selling a copy is.

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :beerchug:

and Kaw never distributed a digital copy, ever, knowing how that would turn out... :-[ :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline JTX

• Crotch Rocket
  • TEXAS 2015 ZG14
  • COG#: Forum
« Reply #37 on: May 08, 2016, 09:22:44 am »
Copying a redistributing the KAW manual is illegal, and they are not going to sell it to anyone. If they did, it would be in-writing.

I paid around 90$ for mine. Its just how it is. Its very likely that your 2011 is very similar if not close to the same as my 2015 and 14-13-12's.  If you need a torque value ask, I'll look it up and post it for you, as will several others.