Author Topic: New G6 H4 LED bulb...no glare, no scatter.  (Read 33212 times)

Offline DaddyFlip

• Scooter
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 12341
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: New G6 H4 LED bulb...no glare, no scatter.
« Reply #150 on: June 17, 2016, 01:26:54 am »
Just ordered the evitek g6 from Amazon. Now 49.99 with Prime. I like the detachable base for installation. Just installed X-treme Vision halogens today so might be a quick change. Be good for backups I suppose.
2001 ZR-7s "Ol' Red"

Offline stevewfl

• Iron Butt
  • COG# 9334
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 9334
« Reply #151 on: June 17, 2016, 02:28:21 am »
anyone had a fan die? friend swapped to LEDs in his car, and said what happens to these is the fan dies so then the LED goes.

I'm thinking about swapping to these LEDs on my C14 and truck
KiPass!

Offline SteveJ.

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5603
« Reply #152 on: June 17, 2016, 10:16:13 pm »
If the fan fries the bulb will cook. IIRC, they have something like a 10,000 hour rating.
Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SiSF)
Tick Tock, baby (Ironbuttal)
Steve J  Tavares, FL, one of the Floriduh Steves
'15 Versys650LT, '98 KLR650, (back home), '99 C-10, 234k miles sold

Offline DaddyFlip

• Scooter
« Reply #153 on: June 22, 2016, 03:21:45 am »
I installed the "Evitek" H4 LED bulbs today and decided they are definitely not for me.

If you never ride at night and only want headlights for daytime conspicuity, then these are probably a great choice. They are certainly brighter and whiter in a daytime comparison with halogens and they look great, especially with my JDM astar LED city lights. (In the below pic, LED on the left, Philips X-treme Vision halogen on the right; JDM astar LED city lights).

But they are NOT for night time riding on MY bike, with MY eyes, in MY neck of the woods.

I didn't have any problems with the install. I didn't have any problems adjusting the bright spot to 2-inches low at 25-feet. There was a moderate cutoff point.  The fan body and the inline box get really hot, but I was able to tie wrap the boxes loosely and out of the way for good ventilation.  You can't hear the fans with the bike running, but you can feel the air coming out of them. There was no problem with using the rubber boot. I really liked the look, feel, and installation. If ease of installation and not having to cut anything is what you want, then these will satisfy.

Riding was miserable, though, and I couldn't wait to get home; we're talking dusk to night time riding... 815-930pm. The good news is no one flashed me on two lane blacktop and road signs were highly visible.  At a rural four-way stop, a person across from me in an SUV did shield their eyes with their hand (it looked like), but they didn't flash me. I probably could have lowered them another inch at 25 feet and been better off.

The bad news- there's no well defined light to "follow" if that can be understood.  First, the white of this light (6500k according to the box) is not conducive to good definition of the road at night or lighting a path... the light just isn't that bright at night and I assume it's because of the color temperature.  Road signs are VERY well lit, but the road is not. There's decent light all around but a hole in the middle where you really need it. The brights aren't much better; I did notice that the high beam LED is almost the same coverage as the low beam halogen. Maybe it's just my decades of following a yellow light, but these did not do it for me and my purpose for headlights is for ME to be able to see at night. I don't care a thing about headlights for conspicuity in the day.

So I popped these out and put a set of Philips X-treme Visions in (that I had purchased just prior to talking myself into trying the LEDs) and found what I was looking for.  Yes, they are only 450 hours rated, but that's 45 days of 10-hours in the saddle... I can live with that. Most of all, I can see VERY well with good definition of the ROAD, a well lit view of the road and surrounding area. No hole in the middle and a flood of light where it's most needed.  There's also the well defined cutoff.  More than anything, the color of the light is correct for riding at night. Call me an old dog that can't learn a new trick, I guess. My daughter said I had to get used to it (she has HIDs in her car), but I will pass.

So, G6 LED FAIL for me; sticking with halogens.  If anybody wants these to try out at a reduced price, shoot me a PM and we can work out a deal. I paid $50 shipped and ran them 50 miles.
2001 ZR-7s "Ol' Red"

Offline delling3

• Road Bike
  • 2nd Time Around
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 11850
« Reply #154 on: June 22, 2016, 03:30:16 am »
I have been following this thread closely.  I bought these lights and installed on in my C-10 this winter.  Had the opportunity to ride with them for the first time a couple of nights ago.  During my first ride I was underwhelmed to say the least.  I then adjusted the beam as described by another poster, and have to say that the change was miraculous.  I am not sure if LED's are more sensitive to the aim, but suspect they are.  I am not convinced that I have my dialed in exactly now or not, but can say that after adjusting the aim, that I have NEVER seen as well as I do now.  I still think that some fine tuning is required, as they still give off a more scattered light than I would like, but they put more light on the road than I have ever experienced.  I can't comment on them for the C-14, and the jury is still out (for the C-10) on aim, but I am convinced that I am moving in the right direction.  More to follow as I dial the aim in. 
Chris Delling
2006 Concours, risers, knee savers, throttlemeister, Murph's grips,  23" Clearview, KB fork brace, SISF's carbs, 2MM, and advanced exhaust cam gear, 7th gear, Spoofak.  Waiting in the wings:   McCruise Cruise Control.

Only dead fish go with the flow . . .

Offline DaddyFlip

• Scooter
« Reply #155 on: June 22, 2016, 03:53:21 am »
Please refer me to the 'magic' post so I can see how to aim them.  I looked back and might have missed it.  What fine tuning is available other than horizontal and vertical of the reflector?
2001 ZR-7s "Ol' Red"

Offline delling3

• Road Bike
  • 2nd Time Around
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 11850
« Reply #156 on: June 22, 2016, 04:02:41 am »
Hey DaddyFlip -

Not saying there is any "magic" here, but reference posts 130 and 139 in this post from FORK. 

I put the bulb into my C-10, and the light quite honestly sucked.  I checked the aim of my light, and found that the aim (set up for halogen bulb) was really high.  I adjusted them down (as described in Clymers manual) and found that the amount of light and pattern was much improved. 

Again, I must say I have no C-14 experience.  I just know that there are a lot of C-10 guys monitoring this thread, and my experience is much improved (although still not perfect) for me on the C-10.

Good luck with your efforts. 

Chris Delling
2006 Concours, risers, knee savers, throttlemeister, Murph's grips,  23" Clearview, KB fork brace, SISF's carbs, 2MM, and advanced exhaust cam gear, 7th gear, Spoofak.  Waiting in the wings:   McCruise Cruise Control.

Only dead fish go with the flow . . .

Offline Daisy

• Bicycle
  • All About the Symmetry
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #157 on: June 22, 2016, 06:18:30 am »
I took mine out because people flashed me all the time. I had assumed that the alignment was good when I reassembled it after my crash, but I never actually checked it. A few times since I put the halogens back in I still got flashed, so I checked the alignment and they were way high. I then set it up properly before swapping the leds back in. Nobody flashes me now and I get the high visibility in daytime ... but, they are still not as good as I'd like at medium distance on low beam. High isn't a problem because I have HID driving lights.
So I think they're good, with room for some improvement - although when I be feelin' real critical I cast my mind back to driving a Volkswagen Beetle with 6 volt lights and the leds are pretty good after all!

Offline DaddyFlip

• Scooter
« Reply #158 on: June 22, 2016, 09:42:00 am »
So they should be aimed lower than 2-inches low at 25 feet? Can anyone give a reference point for setup or is it just trial and error? By the numbers, I had mine aimed "correctly", but that may not be correct. No one flashed me and roadsigns were well lit, but light for seeing the road was less. Maybe that means they need to be lower than correct. The color temp is throwing me also. Maybe I will try again.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 09:48:55 am by DaddyFlip »
2001 ZR-7s "Ol' Red"

Offline Daisy

• Bicycle
  • All About the Symmetry
« Reply #159 on: June 22, 2016, 10:46:24 am »
I set mine to 1" @ 12 and a half feet on the garage door. My driveway drops off at 18 feet and they point over the roof.  :-[
The colour is too blue for my liking, but everyone says they look white from the front. Maybe I need better eyes instead of better lights?

Offline tattoo13

• Tricycle
« Reply #160 on: June 22, 2016, 10:38:34 pm »
I bought a set from Amazon, and one bulb only works on high beam.
Getting returned tomorrow.

Offline DaddyFlip

• Scooter
« Reply #161 on: June 23, 2016, 03:50:31 am »
I set mine to 1" @ 12 and a half feet on the garage door. My driveway drops off at 18 feet and they point over the roof.  :-[
The colour is too blue for my liking, but everyone says they look white from the front. Maybe I need better eyes instead of better lights?

I second the better eyes comment. I gave the LEDs another try tonight and I got better results by lowering the reflectors significantly compared to what the manual says do. Then I got out on the road and found a spot that was flat, dark, no traffic and approaching some signs. I noticed I needed to lower them even more! So I just watched the road in front of me and brought the brightest spot of the low beam to a place on the road in front of me that seemed 'right'. This ended up being about 40 feet in front of me; maybe 50 feet. The signs were still lit up at distance and the bright spot was in no one's eyes. I noticed the area in front of me filled in a lot better with light I could tell was there. The high beams were good too, although I need to perform the high beam blue indicator light of death mod ASAP because you can't see anything at night when a dash light is activated!

I'm still not convinced that 6500k is the right color temp for night riding, but I'm going to give it a longer evaluation and keep my X-treme Visions handy for comparison.
2001 ZR-7s "Ol' Red"

Offline Daisy

• Bicycle
  • All About the Symmetry
« Reply #162 on: June 23, 2016, 06:16:03 am »
Mebbe I is blind then? The high beam indicator doesn't bother me at all.  ;D

Offline stevewfl

• Iron Butt
  • COG# 9334
  • COG#: 9334
« Reply #163 on: June 24, 2016, 11:53:46 pm »
interesting
KiPass!

Offline DaddyFlip

• Scooter
« Reply #164 on: June 25, 2016, 12:43:54 am »
which part?
2001 ZR-7s "Ol' Red"