Author Topic: New multi-adjustable handle bars from Precision Engineering  (Read 14508 times)

Offline ZG

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 9735
  • Membership Level: Active
New multi-adjustable handle bars from Precision Engineering
« on: August 08, 2012, 06:33:19 pm »
Hey brutha's, I just ordered up a set of these, I'll post up some pics and feedback when they arrive and I get em installed...  :)

I like the multiple options this will give me, especially being able to have more pull back, I'll no longer need my 2" Heli risers, and I think they look tons better than the Heli Horizon bars... 

Oh ya, and I love that they come in black!! :great:  ;)

There is currently a 10% COG discount for them, the discount code is "cog712".

http://www.preeng.com/xcart/product.php?productid=56&cat=11&page=1

These adjustable handlebars are CNC machined out of billet 6061 aluminum. These are completely adjustable vertically, forward, backward for a super customizable riding position. These risers will allow 3" of adjustment rearward, 3" adjustment forward and 1.5" upward with out adjusting the hydraulic lines.

This product is supplied with all hardware needed to make installation very simple and straight forward.

These risers have been black anodized to provide protection to the outside elements.
BAD A$$ isn't cheap, and cheap isn't BAD A$$...

Offline ProfessorKonk

• Street Cruiser
  • Best. Bike. Ever.
    • Hilson Creative LLC
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 9466
Re: New multi-adjustable handle bars from Precision Engineering
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2012, 07:54:23 pm »
Those look interesting... the black anodizing is gonna look way better on your bike than my Atomic!
Looking forward to the hands-on report.
So many farkles, so little time.

Offline ZG

• I Need a Life
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012, 08:20:52 pm »
Looking forward to the hands-on report.

Will do PK!  :beerchug:

Offline Gigantor

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 9242
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2012, 05:01:14 am »
They do look nicer than the Horizon ST bars but they don't look as solid.  The ST's may be a stronger build, normally you don't place much weight on the bars but if you have to stop all of a sudden you do put a lot of weight/pressure on the bars and at that time you don't want the bars to move/bend/break.
1988 CBR600  Long Gone, 1985 VF750   Sold
1996  Royalstar Sold, 1993 CBR1000F  Sold
2003  C-10  Sold
2008  C-14  Destroyed, 2008  C-14  So Far So Good
COG 9242   AMA 1082581  ROK ROK100028645

Offline MIDNIGHT RIDER

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 10492
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2012, 12:40:24 pm »
Thanks for the information.  I like the way they look, but wish silver color was an option.

Offline ZG

• I Need a Life
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2012, 12:27:10 am »
Ordered Wednesday and they arrived today, now that's some fast order fulfillment!  ;)

Here's a couple quick phone pics, not the greatest pics I know but should still give you an idea...

The parts are machined very nice, quality looks good, parts packaged nicely to separate the parts and sides!  :great:

The instructions are pretty straight forward, I think instead of waiting for my powder coat work in a week I might just install them this weekend so I can try em out, more to come on that...     

>:D

So far so good!   :)

Offline TJ

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2012, 01:03:09 am »
How far back will they go if they use the original lines?

Offline ZG

• I Need a Life
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2012, 01:19:54 am »
How far back will they go if they use the original lines?

On their website it lists the below...

"These are completely adjustable vertically, forward, backward for a super customizable riding position. These risers will allow 3" of adjustment rearward, 3" adjustment forward and 1.5" upward with out adjusting the hydraulic lines."

Offline TJ

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2012, 01:26:21 am »
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Offline Mad River Marc

• Sport Tourer
  • COG#: 8442
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2012, 10:32:08 am »
I like that...but I question how strong they would be in a panic stop... :(
You only need two tools in life – WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn’t move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn’t move and does, use the duct tape.

Offline Pistole

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2012, 11:04:06 am »

- my thoughts too. That big joint at the bottom MUST NOT fail in service , esp when the rider is applying max front brake and leaning into the bars.

- failure at that joint will be disastrous for the rider.

Offline TJ

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2012, 01:32:23 pm »
Looks like there is a secondary smaller bolt securing it just in case?

Offline ZG

• I Need a Life
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2012, 01:53:04 pm »

Wouldn't that also be the same fear for the Heli Horizon bars too though??  ???

I rang them through the ringer on strength testing etc before getting em and they gave me all the right answers over the phone IMO...

I'm gonna install them today, need to go down and buy a 3/8 allen wrench, seems I don't have one but need one for the install (bolt # 14), more to come...
« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 08:44:53 pm by ZG »

Offline ZG

• I Need a Life
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2012, 09:49:51 pm »
Installed!!!  :)

First let me start off by saying I am no wrencher, far from it, putting gas in is about the extent of it for me...  ;)

I installed these myself and it was very straight forward and easy to do, if I can do it anybody can...  ;D

I did the right side first, took me about an hour, some of that because I forgot to put the washers in and most of it was just getting them positioned how I liked best. Multi-adjust is an understatement, man there are alot of adjustments in lots of directions...  :truce:

I found that doing just one side all the way through is a good approach, this allowed me to compare my original setup on the left with the new setup on the right, then it was just a matter of fine tuning how I wanted it to be set.

After the learning lesson on the right side, the left side only took me about 15 minutes, it was nice because as I did the left side I already new what adjustment spots I wanted (from the right side) and was able to fully tighten bolts as I went.  :great:

I then went for about an hour ride and brought my allen wrench's, I pulled over twice and re-adjusted, pretty quick process to adjust on the fly.

All and all I'm quite pleased with these, now that I've got them adjusted to where I like em. The final setup brings the bars a little higher, a little further back, and angled more (like 7:30 & 4:30 if looking straight at it from the top) than my prior setup with the oem bars. :great:

Here are some of my thoughts good and bad...

- The black finish looks great, I didn't think I'd like the silver bolts but they actually match my Pazzo levers perfect (also black with silver bolts)!

- The adjustability is really great, I'm a short guy so the ability to adjust for me is awesome, I bet a tall guy would also be able to say the same adjusting them to their liking as well.

- The bars in the collapsed position are about the same height as oem bars, the height adjustment is 1.5", I had 2" risers and Murphs wedges prior with the oem bars, so when I first installed them I did not add my 2" risers and they felt a little shorter than I had and liked (just my preference, maybe not for other folks that are taller), so I then added my 2" Heli risers back under them.

- I couldn't add my Murphs wedges because the holes for the bolts at the bottom of the bases are too small for the angled washers needed for wedges. I think this is an easy fix though if PE wants to add this option for folks that like that angle, I think that PE could make an optional insert (7 in the diagram I posted prior) with just a different angle to it, pic below of how it comes right now and you can see the current angle, easy fix IMO but I'm no machinist...

- The small allen bolts (11 & 9 on the diagram) are kind of a pain but not a deal breaker by any means... I'm afraid if you were to lose those it might not be such an easy bolt to find, I may ask for a couple spares from PE for future just in case I lose one somehow or one strips out.

- For the adjustment of pulling them more towards you (where the base attaches to the arm 1 & 5 in the diagram) I wish had the holes closer togother (like the insert does, 7 in the diagram) this would allow even more adjustment points. I like where I have them right now but I almost wish I could be right in between the hole I'm in now and the next one down. I'm gonna reach out to PE on Monday to discuss this option with them...

My final adjustment (for now at least) is I actually extended them all the way up, so that's 1.5" plus my 2" Heli risers under em (again I'm a short guy) and I angled the bars back to furthest mark which as I said puts them at about 7:30 & 4:30 looking from the top, and the pull back just in the middle.  :great:

Anyways, all and all I'm happy and I do give these bars the ZG approval!  ;D

Here's some pics for ya...  :)

« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 12:23:24 am by ZG »

Offline Pistole

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2012, 11:24:52 pm »

- ape hangers ! On a C14 !!

;D

Offline gsun

• Sport Tourer
  • CDA #560
  • COG#: 9127
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2012, 01:59:03 am »
Hmmmm....You musta gone to church last week!

Offline ZG

• I Need a Life
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2012, 02:08:24 am »
Hmmmm....You musta gone to church last week!

- ape hangers ! On a C14 !!

;D

;D ;D ;D  :beerchug:

Offline Gigantor

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 9242
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2012, 01:23:48 am »

Nope, it's not the same.  With the Heli bars they are rock solid and if they (pivot points) should come loose because they were improperly tightend (which I did) they don't move much and allow you to remain in control.  I had a panic stop and all my weight was on the bars and all that happened was the right handle moved forward a few degrees.  That happened because I didn't use my torque wrench, but I did after that.  My concern about the design is that the pivot point near where it attaches to the bike is not as strong as the Heli which used a solid bar that attaches to the triple tree clamp.  It seems like you can put a lot of torque on the base of these bars and the higher they are you increase the pressure placed on the pivot point.  I would occasionally check for stress fractures.

Good luck.

BTW they do look real nice.   :)
1988 CBR600  Long Gone, 1985 VF750   Sold
1996  Royalstar Sold, 1993 CBR1000F  Sold
2003  C-10  Sold
2008  C-14  Destroyed, 2008  C-14  So Far So Good
COG 9242   AMA 1082581  ROK ROK100028645

Offline ZG

• I Need a Life
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2012, 01:33:42 am »

Nope, it's not the same.  With the Heli bars they are rock solid and if they (pivot points) should come loose because they were improperly tightend (which I did) they don't move much and allow you to remain in control.  I had a panic stop and all my weight was on the bars and all that happened was the right handle moved forward a few degrees.  That happened because I didn't use my torque wrench, but I did after that.  My concern about the design is that the pivot point near where it attaches to the bike is not as strong as the Heli which used a solid bar that attaches to the triple tree clamp.  It seems like you can put a lot of torque on the base of these bars and the higher they are you increase the pressure placed on the pivot point.  I would occasionally check for stress fractures.

Good luck.

BTW they do look real nice.   :)

Noted and thanks G!  :beerchug:

Offline ZG

• I Need a Life
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2012, 12:30:47 am »
- For the adjustment of pulling them more towards you (where the base attaches to the arm 1 & 5 in the diagram) I wish had the holes closer togother (like the insert does, 7 in the diagram) this would allow even more adjustment points. I like where I have them right now but I almost wish I could be right in between the hole I'm in now and the next one down. I'm gonna reach out to PE on Monday to discuss this option with them...

Ok, now I am officially impressed!!

I contacted PE on Monday regarding my wish to have one more hole for an adjustment point on the "pull back" rotation point (ie pulling the bars closer to me), they said "no problem we can put another hole in that part for you". 2 days later my new bases with the extra hole arrived...

WOW! Now that's some great customer service IMO!! All they asked is that I ship the original bases back to them, which is no problem at all.

The bars are absolutely perfect for me now!!

Here's some pics, the first one is the newly arrived bases with the addition hole.

« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 12:25:16 am by ZG »

Offline Pistole

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2012, 12:47:40 am »

- with the bars that far back , are you sitting almost bolt upright ?

- and the positioning of the bars which you have now only works with longer brake lines , ya ?

- anyhow : to be fair to the system there , it does seem to be well thought out and elegantly executed. Considering the cost of the ST Horizon Heli bars system (which is very crude in its engineering) to this setup , this seems to be a very fine piece of machine work (ie , many of the parts seem to need to be machined from one block of aluminium).

Offline ZG

• I Need a Life
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2012, 01:36:16 am »
- with the bars that far back , are you sitting almost bolt upright ?

Not quite straight upright, but pretty much.

- and the positioning of the bars which you have now only works with longer brake lines , ya ?

The way I have it setup right now with my 2" risers underneath them most likely yes you would need extended lines, which I do have, when I switched to braided lines I had the fronts made 2" longer than stock. Without the 2" risers underneath though and just using the 1.5" extensions fully extended stock lines should work just fine.

- anyhow : to be fair to the system there , it does seem to be well thought out and elegantly executed. Considering the cost of the ST Horizon Heli bars system (which is very crude in its engineering) to this setup , this seems to be a very fine piece of machine work (ie , many of the parts seem to need to be machined from one block of aluminium).

Agreed, I think they're a great value for what they do, at least for me...  :)

Offline connie and me

• Bicycle
  • AREA: North Central Area
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2012, 02:38:38 am »
Hi ZG,,  question about what looks like some sort of highway peg/leg rest that folds out on you bike? Am i seeing this right? is so may i ask what kind, or where could a new concours owner get something like that to stretch out? btw, your bike is prolly the best looking connie ive seen on here.... I have been lurking and trying to learn since last year... thanks man!!
2012 Black

Offline Pistole

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2012, 07:30:20 am »
Hi ZG,,  question about what looks like some sort of highway peg/leg rest that folds out on you bike? Am i seeing this right? is so may i ask what kind, or where could a new concours owner get something like that to stretch out? btw, your bike is prolly the best looking connie ive seen on here.... I have been lurking and trying to learn since last year... thanks man!!

- they're crash bungs (aka, sliders) made by Top Block

http://www.top-block.com/index.php

- like the one's made by Kawasaki.

Offline gsun

• Sport Tourer
  • CDA #560
  • COG#: 9127
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2012, 12:36:26 am »

- they're crash bungs (aka, sliders) made by Top Block