Author Topic: Newbie looking for advice on throttle locks for a 2011 Concours  (Read 15831 times)

Offline spudman1125

• Big Wheels
  • Newbie Concours Owner
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber

Hello all -
I just joined the group a few minutes ago after looking through the forum as a guest for several hours.  It looks to me to be an excellent site filled with good information, opinions and stories of successes and lessons learned.  I currently ride a 2005 FJR1300 as well as a 2008 Buell 1125R.  The FJR was listed on eBay a few days ago, as I am very close to closing the deal on a brand new 2011 Concours ABS model.  But now I'm a bit worried, as there is one very important thing I overlooked.  About 3 years ago, my hands started to go to sleep after only about 30 minutes of riding (either bike).  It became a royal PITA to shake out the hands to get the feeling back (especially the throttle hand), so I began the process of looking for solutions.  I ended up using the Brakeaway throttle lock on the FJR (which I absolutely love) and went with the Throttlemeister setup on the Buell (they're made only 30 minutes from where I live, so I had them "professionally installed" by one of their employees free of charge!).  I know I'll need some sort of throttle lock/cruise control device on my new Concours, since 20+ years of sorting mail every morning before I leave for my route has pretty much mandated that.  What I'm wondering is...has anyone had success with any type or brand of throttle lock on a 2010/2011 model with the heated grips?  I'd love to get a Brakeaway unit, but they don't make one for the Concours...and to be honest, the Throttlemeister setup is not nearly as user friendly.  I've seen several posts on the NEP setup, but was wondering if it will work on the new models with heated grips.  Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions!

Offline Cap'n Bob

• GOLD STAR
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 7134
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: Newbie looking for advice on throttle locks for a 2011 Concours
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2011, 06:48:32 pm »
There's a bunch. Here's the newest of the bunch:

The Go cruise control (throttle lock)
http://www.2wheelride.com/throttle_pro.html

Then there's these favorite (I'm sure I'll leave some out):

The Caterpillar "O" ring
Throttlemiester
NEP
Vista Cruise

Then Cruise control units:

McCruise
Rostra
Murph's (Audiovox)

Offline spudman1125

• Big Wheels
  • Newbie Concours Owner
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2011, 11:08:15 pm »
Thanks much Bob!  At this point, until something easier or better comes along, I think I'll be giving the Go Cruise a try.

Offline Tactical_Mik

• Bicycle
  • COG#: 9047
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2011, 11:09:56 pm »
Little late on this one but I use the trottlemeister on the c14 and just put the go cruise on the SO's v-star.  I had to ride it for about two hours to get brake parts for the c14 and it worked fantastically for what that is worth.
Lonnie 

Offline rlyons

• Bicycle
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 4150
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2011, 08:23:34 pm »
Had the throttle meister, lots of money for something that marginally works (at least for me.) The $20 Go Cruise is your best best because of the heated grip wire.

Offline Fred_Harmon_TX

• COG Technical Editor
  • Industry Member
  • Iron Butt
    • Angel Ride Videos
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 2170
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2011, 09:03:57 pm »
I'd advise you to be EXTREMELY cautious using a throttle lock. I had a ridding buddy almost take me out a couple years ago when several deer jumped out in front of us and he wasted valuable braking time trying to get the throttle lock released. Personally, I won't ever use one again because of what I saw happen when we both needed to get hard on the brakes RIGHT NOW.

My advice would be to take that money you were going to put on a throttle lock, and use it to invest in a real cruise control system that automatically releases any time you pull in the clutch or hit the brakes.
Fred H.

Thanksgiving Sale in Effect now!  Concours 1400 Maintenance Videos 
http://www.angelridevideos.com

Offline S Smith

• Northeast Area Director
  • Officer
  • I Need a Life
    • COG Northeast Area Home Page
  • COG#: 3184
  • Membership Level: Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2011, 09:57:13 pm »
I wonder if the old CAT O-ring trick used on C10s will work?
| Steve Smith | COG #3184 | MSF/CONREP RC |

There is more to be gained by members raising hands saying "I'll do that" instead of pointing fingers saying "nobody's doing that."

Offline MKorn

• Mini Bike
  • COG#: 9527
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2011, 09:57:13 am »
Wow ... that Go Cruise is cool!!
2009 C14 ABS
2002 750 Nighthawk (sold)
2006 DRz 400s

Offline Cap'n Bob

• GOLD STAR
  • COG#: 7134
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2011, 10:07:04 pm »
I wonder if the old CAT O-ring trick used on C10s will work?

Yes it will!

Offline Organdonor

• Tricycle
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2011, 06:09:26 pm »
Even with the rubber band around my grip the GO device doesn't work worth a damn for me. I apply it and the throttle goes back to idle within 4-5 seconds.
Benjamin
2009 C14 ABS
1997 Honda CBR1100XX
2007 Honda GL1800 (gone)
1987 Honda CBR1000F (gone)

Offline donmoe

• Tricycle
  • Now riding a 2015 BMW R1200GS-Adventure
    • Don Moe's Travel Website
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: Forum
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2011, 06:28:09 pm »
When I bought my 2010 Concours in January, I installed the Throttlemeister set and am quite happy with it. I tension it just enough to compensate for throttle pull, but not so tight that I couldn't quickly shut the throttle if necessary.  Later I ordered the MC Cruise electronic control and had it professionally installed.  It works just like one in the car and will automatically disable itself if I pull the clutch or touch either brake.  I find it advantageous to have both types on the bike since the MC Cruise is best when riding at a steady speed alone or leading a group ride, especially on multi-lane roads, but the Throttlemeister is best when riding in traffic or within a group since speed will constantly need adjustment.  Although the MC Cruise is quite expensive at nearly $1K plus any installation fees, it makes long-distance riding much less tiring and I don't have to worry about inadvertent throttle creep increasing my speed and attracting unwelcome attention from an LEO.

You can read about MC Cruise at their website and order it for less from SpoiledBiker in the US.

Don
2015 BMW R1200GS Adv (bought 1/20/2015)
2013 Triumph Trophy SE (bought 1/5/2013)
2010 Concours 14 ABS (wrecked 8/2012)
2008 Concours 14 ABS (traded 2011)
2004 BWM R1150RT (sold 2011)
1981 KZ1000 (sold 1984)
1974 Z1 (sold 1981)
1973 H1 (traded 1974)

Offline Big Poppa

• Bicycle
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 9410
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2011, 08:21:05 pm »
Although I recently ordered a Go Cruise, I did come across this while looking into inexpensive throttle locks:

Tak-Lok: http://www.takonix.com/

It's not the cheapest at $159 but it looked pretty interesting for what appears to be a purely mechanical solution.
2011 Concours 14 "Orca"
ROK# ROK100027109
AMA# 2660268

Offline MKorn

• Mini Bike
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2011, 04:25:10 pm »
Even with the rubber band around my grip the GO device doesn't work worth a damn for me. I apply it and the throttle goes back to idle within 4-5 seconds.

Oh this isnt good news ... we jsut ordered 3 !
2009 C14 ABS
2006 DRz 400s

Offline gtskev

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 8081
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2011, 07:12:51 pm »
I like the vista cruise but would advise some practice with emergency braking.  None of the ones I have used will actually stop you from closing the throttle and as such you should never try and "unlock" it before braking.  Roll your hand forward as you normally would when applying the brakes and there should be no problem with a properly adjusted throttle "lock."  Braking practice is always a good thing and, IMHO, the MOST valuable and MOST underused aspect of ABS; hope your's has it.  Numb hands can't brake well either so go for the throttle "lock" until you can afford the real thing.
Kevin,  No Bucks? No Buck Rogers...  Dick McGehee, HiBay 1, 1986

Offline Peter

• Bicycle
  • COG#: 769
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2011, 12:57:49 pm »
I rode with a Vista Cruise for MANY years on my C10 and it did just what I needed:  Allowed me to take a break from holding the throttle to flex my hand. 

Just having bought a C14, I am also in the market.

Looking at the C14 bars, it didn't look like a Vista Cruise would fit it well?

I noticed a "Nep" was listed as one option.  The low cost and ease of installation would fit my need.  I didn't measure my bars, but the Nep said 1" bars on the package.

Do heated grips present a problem with using one that needs to fit around the grip?

Thanks,
Peter
1993 Honda CBR1000F
1998 Triumph Adventurer
2011 C14 ABS
COG member # 769

Offline wally_games

• Moped
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2011, 04:33:04 pm »
Although I recently ordered a Go Cruise, I did come across this while looking into inexpensive throttle locks:

Tak-Lok: http://www.takonix.com/

It's not the cheapest at $159 but it looked pretty interesting for what appears to be a purely mechanical solution.

This one looks like it works really well. My only question is, "Does it only come in chrome like shown in the demo video?"

Offline Organdonor

• Tricycle
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2011, 01:18:41 pm »
No, black is available on their website. Same price.

I installed my Throttlemeister on Monday... lightyears better than the GO product. Sure, it's five times the price, but then again, I spent $20 on something that just didn't work (for me.)
Benjamin
2009 C14 ABS
1997 Honda CBR1100XX
2007 Honda GL1800 (gone)

Offline scottphill

• Tricycle
  • COG#: 9569
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2011, 06:37:35 pm »
I use the Vista on mine and it works great and I like the fact I can flick it on and off quickly.

Offline Necron99

• Crotch Rocket
  • rise again....
  • COG#: 9384
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2011, 01:01:11 am »
The Tak-Lok seems awesome...  it attaches to the brake and if you flick your brake, it's off...  Good deal.  I had a Brake-Away on my VTX for years and I love this feature.

Offline TXsmokeater

• Tricycle
  • COG#: 8345
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2011, 01:35:38 am »
So I should probably know this, but I don't....what size bar is on the C14?  7/8 or 1"? :-[
Jason  '08 C14
"You may all go to Hell, and I will go to Texas" Davy Crockett

Offline Peter

• Bicycle
  • COG#: 769
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2011, 11:33:43 am »
I use the Vista on mine and it works great and I like the fact I can flick it on and off quickly.

Which model Vista Cruise do you have?  Do you also have heated grips?

Thanks,
Peter
1993 Honda CBR1000F
1998 Triumph Adventurer
2011 C14 ABS
COG member # 769

Offline MKorn

• Mini Bike
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2011, 10:49:10 am »
So I should probably know this, but I don't....what size bar is on the C14?  7/8 or 1"? :-[

i measured mine and got 7/8 ...
   i went with the 7/8 Go Cruise,  but it is still at my buddies so i haven't been able to try it out yet.

one of the guys from work got one and it worked great for several miles with no loss of speed.
2009 C14 ABS
2006 DRz 400s

Offline Gramps

• Tricycle
  • COG#: 10563
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2011, 02:44:07 pm »
Hi Wally,
I ride the 2011 1400 GTR/ C14 as you guys call them. I traded my 2009 on her and love the bike.
I fitted all my bits and pieces from the 09 to the 2011 and one piece was the "Kaoko" Throttle lock.
This unit simply replaces the bar weight on the right hand side. It works on a friction washer, which
simply locks against the end of you throttle rubber. It works great on feely level ground but does lag a little on
up hill and gains on down hill, but the more you use and gain confidence the easier it is to use.
A simple movement of throttle off loosens the nut and you're back to manual. Not as good as Electronic cruise control
but a whole lot cheaper. About fifty to sixty (?) $US if my memory strikes me right.
They're made in South Africa but sold through several outlets in the USA.
Their web site shows the unit clearly with a video on the fitting and use.
Hope this helps in your search,  it's a great forum with plenty who are prepared to assist.
Regards,
Bruce
Perth, West Aust.

Offline KawiMick

• Mini Bike
  • COG#: 8969
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2011, 12:48:54 pm »

Looking at the C14 bars, it didn't look like a Vista Cruise would fit it well?

The Vista Cruise works great on my 2010 after about 12K of use.  Lots of pics on the
old forum. I had to make room for the larger grip flange on the heated grips but
nothing 10 minutes with a Dremel can't fix.  Also, use the bracket included (as in the last pic) to locate the bottom of the unit.  The Vista Cruise needs to float a little to work correctly.

Mick
Mick
Tucson/Santa Paula

'84 R100RS(sold) (unsold)
'93 K1100LT 
'96 R1100RT
'10 C14 VIN 000643 
  COG#8969
Born OK the First Time

Offline Organdonor

• Tricycle
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2011, 02:33:08 pm »
Hi Wally,
I ride the 2011 1400 GTR/ C14 as you guys call them. I traded my 2009 on her and love the bike.
I fitted all my bits and pieces from the 09 to the 2011 and one piece was the "Kaoko" Throttle lock.
This unit simply replaces the bar weight on the right hand side. It works on a friction washer, which
simply locks against the end of you throttle rubber. It works great on feely level ground but does lag a little on
up hill and gains on down hill, but the more you use and gain confidence the easier it is to use.
A simple movement of throttle off loosens the nut and you're back to manual. Not as good as Electronic cruise control
but a whole lot cheaper. About fifty to sixty (?) $US if my memory strikes me right.
They're made in South Africa but sold through several outlets in the USA.
Their web site shows the unit clearly with a video on the fitting and use.
Hope this helps in your search,  it's a great forum with plenty who are prepared to assist.
Regards,
Bruce
Perth, West Aust.

The Kaoko device is available at http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/4755/758/

It's $120. I went with the Throttlemeister over the Kaoko because the TM is heavier, and also came with the left bar end weight.... for the same price as the Kaoko.

Since I installed them last week I've notice considerably less vibration in the grips... no more right hand discomfort.

It's funny, because now the vibration from the tank against my knees is more noticable.
Benjamin
2009 C14 ABS
1997 Honda CBR1100XX
2007 Honda GL1800 (gone)