Author Topic: Options for seats for vertically challenged people at 5'7''/170cm?  (Read 591 times)

Offline Ronin

• Kawaholic
  • Big Wheels
  • 2008 Kawasaki Concours 14
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
I'm kinda vertically challenged with this Connie 14, and before I sell it due to feeling waaaaay to topheavy vs flatfooting it. I wanna try to get a lower seat? I'm 5'7''/170cm 235#/106Kg with gear and 32'' inseam.....and lowering the bike is out of the question as the suspension is already set for my weight. What seats have you guys that are similar challenged experience with?
2008 Kawasaki Concours 14
1999 Kawasaki ZRX 1100
2017 Haosen Hawk 250 (Chonda)

Offline Road Runner

• Street Cruiser
  • Beep! Beep! ... YeeHa!
    • 2 Hearts for Integrity Ministries
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 12399
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: Options for seats for vertically challenged people at 5'7''/170cm?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2019, 12:20:26 am »
I'm kinda vertically challenged with this Connie 14, and before I sell it due to feeling waaaaay to topheavy vs flatfooting it. I wanna try to get a lower seat? I'm 5'7''/170cm 235#/106Kg with gear and 32'' inseam.....and lowering the bike is out of the question as the suspension is already set for my weight. What seats have you guys that are similar challenged experience with?

Before you go the seat route have you considered tall-heeled boots or similar w/ heel insoles that will give you an extra lift if needed? I have a 30" inseam and nearly flat-footed with just me on (close enough). With passenger, definitely. With you having a 32" inseam I would have to believe you're pretty close to flat-footed already.
David L. Hamil
Athens/Decatur/Huntsvile, AL area
'13 ZG1400 "Metallic Spark Black"

Offline gsun

• Sport Tourer
  • CDA #560
  • COG#: 9127
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2019, 04:36:56 am »
I have a Laam seat that is an inch lower than stock. I lowered the bike too. How does that affect the suspension settings? Nothing to do with the front or rear shocks. I didn't notice a difference but I'm not a peg dragger.

Offline robertv

• Street Cruiser
  • Go Hawks!
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2019, 03:34:16 pm »
Not sure where in the PacNW you're located at but I've heard excellent feedback on Rich's seats from friends and folks I ride with. His shop is great and even when you're from out of town or need a break, it's a cool place to hang out at.   https://www.richscustomseats.com/

He should be able to figure out on lowering it from your saddle or whatever helps you enjoy your ride.
2008 C14, silver [current]
2000 C10, red [sold]

Offline connie_rider

• "OtP" {retired/assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 4154
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2019, 03:58:36 pm »
I have a custom Baldwin seat on mine.

I question your saying you can't lower because of the setting you have now, too.
Installing Links won't have much effect on your settings.

Are you running a 50 or 55 series rear tire?
  The 50 would make the bike set lower.
Have you slid the fork tube up in your triple trees?
  EZ to get an inch of lowering there and bike will turn in a bit more quickly.

Ride safe, Ted
14 Connie (Traveler II) / 03 Connie (Buddy)
Gone but not forgotten; 87 and 00 Connies..

If your not already a COGger, "consider becoming one".
Help us make "OtP" possible again!!

Offline Ronin

• Kawaholic
  • Big Wheels
  • 2008 Kawasaki Concours 14
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2019, 07:26:34 pm »
I'm in Montana, and I drag pegs when I find a sharp enough turn  ;D ;D
2008 Kawasaki Concours 14
1999 Kawasaki ZRX 1100
2017 Haosen Hawk 250 (Chonda)

Offline SVonhof

• Tricycle
  • Riding since 1996
  • AREA: Southwest Area
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2019, 09:33:41 pm »
5 foot 7 with a 32" inseam?

Yeah.

I am just shy of 5 foot 11 and have a 29" inseam.

I have a Corbin which lowers the seat position and I can do just fine.

Offline Daboo

• Global Moderator
  • Scooter
  • COG#: 12797
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2019, 04:52:57 pm »
While pursuing these other options, let me pose a challenge of sorts to you.  :)  Like you, I'm short.  5'6" with about a 28 inch inseam.  There isn't a motorcycle out there that I'm interested in that I can flat foot.  At best, I'm on the balls of my feet...and then only when I'm stopped in a tire track rut at a stop light.  Most of the time, it is just my toes that touch.

Years ago, I was watching a video of a woman police officer competing on one of those tight competition courses.  I don't remember the bike, but it was very similar to a C14.  Large.  Full fairing.  And not a cruiser at all.  It looked massive compared to her.  She looked to be about 115 or 120 lbs and was shorter than I am.  She man-handled that bike like it was nothing.

After watching the woman in the video, I told myself that if she can do it, I can do it.

When I first started riding again, I bought a Kymco Bet&Win 250 scooter.  It weighed only @350 lbs.  Not much at all in comparison to a C14.  But I got off-balance with it in a parking lot one day and it started to tip.  No sweat, I thought.  I'll just stop it...and then I found myself on the ground.  Even as light as a 350 lb scooter is, once it gets tipped over too far, you're not going to stop it.  All you can do, is to slow it down.  The trick, is to never let it tip too far.  Resolve in your mind that no matter what it takes, you are going to control it...and then do that.

Chris
« Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 04:57:24 pm by Daboo »
IBA# 49894 True Rounder = 0-20's - Rounder -- to -- 100's+ Red Hot Rounder

John 14:6

Offline Road Runner

• Street Cruiser
  • Beep! Beep! ... YeeHa!
    • 2 Hearts for Integrity Ministries
  • COG#: 12399
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2019, 01:54:54 am »
While pursuing these other options, let me pose a challenge of sorts to you.  :)  Like you, I'm short.  5'6" with about a 28 inch inseam.  There isn't a motorcycle out there that I'm interested in that I can flat foot.  At best, I'm on the balls of my feet...and then only when I'm stopped in a tire track rut at a stop light.  Most of the time, it is just my toes that touch.

Years ago, I was watching a video of a woman police officer competing on one of those tight competition courses.  I don't remember the bike, but it was very similar to a C14.  Large.  Full fairing.  And not a cruiser at all.  It looked massive compared to her.  She looked to be about 115 or 120 lbs and was shorter than I am.  She man-handled that bike like it was nothing.

After watching the woman in the video, I told myself that if she can do it, I can do it.

When I first started riding again, I bought a Kymco Bet&Win 250 scooter.  It weighed only @350 lbs.  Not much at all in comparison to a C14.  But I got off-balance with it in a parking lot one day and it started to tip.  No sweat, I thought.  I'll just stop it...and then I found myself on the ground.  Even as light as a 350 lb scooter is, once it gets tipped over too far, you're not going to stop it.  All you can do, is to slow it down.  The trick, is to never let it tip too far.  Resolve in your mind that no matter what it takes, you are going to control it...and then do that.

Chris

Yep, check out "Ride Like a Pro (RLAP)" Tiny women can easily handle a 1,000 lb+ bike, if you know the proper techniques. I'm not there myself, but starting the journey soon, by taking one of the advanced RLAP courses in April. Check it out on Youtube, Website, etc.
David L. Hamil
Athens/Decatur/Huntsvile, AL area
'13 ZG1400 "Metallic Spark Black"

Offline cuda

• Crotch Rocket
  • Ignorance Is Bliss.
  • COG#: 11405
We have invented the world WE see .
It takes 20 years  to build a reputation and 5 minutes to lose it...   - Cog 11405

Offline joliver

• Moped
    • My former biking days.
  • COG#: 10420
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2019, 04:48:44 pm »

I have a 29 inch inseam. Had a 1000 Connie previously and was quite shocked that the little bit extra height in the seat made such a difference on the 1400.  So here is what I did:
1. Bought heel risers. Got a few different sets, cheap as dirt, and found a combo that worked. I can flat foot easily on one side.
2. Got boots with a thicker sole. If you your soles are leather, a shoe guy can put on an even thicker sole.
3. I made sure that all my clothes were loose enough that they did not restrict movement.
4. Lost weight. My gut was not helping.
5. Got Canyon Cages, just in case.

When I get on my bike, it feels it is custom made for me. Of course when I am stopping and the surface is uneven, I am on hyper alert mode. Backing up, uphill is pretty much not happening so I am careful when I park. At first I was going to do the lowering thing but now I don't feel there is any need to make changes. I could have bought a bike that was lower but after riding the 1000 for a few years, I was determined to get a 1400.

Sigh, if it were not -37 C, I would go visit her in my neighbour's garage.

15 1400 ABS
02 Connie Purchased used after a 35 year break.
75 Suzuki GT 550
72 Suzuki T500
69 Suzuki 250

Offline Harry Martin

• ☺ Cartoonist ☺
  • Industry Member
  • Crotch Rocket
  • Fear is not boring
    • Harry Martin Cartoons
  • COG#: 4090
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2019, 04:55:27 pm »
I removed the foam from my stock seat.  :(

No bleeding after 9 hours in the saddle.  :great:
Harry in Wild and Windy Casper, WY - 2015 "Greendammit"
https://harrymartincartoons.com