Author Topic: Puig Tour Screen Input from the 5’11” crowd  (Read 310 times)

Offline asguthrie

• Tricycle
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Puig Tour Screen Input from the 5’11” crowd
« on: January 15, 2019, 02:50:18 am »
I’m contemplating a Puig Tour screen for my 2016, but would like some additional feedback from folks in the 5’11” range that have this screen specifically.   I did a fair amount of searching though posts on this.  Yes I know your Cee Bailey screen is thicker and awesome(er) but they’re no longer available.  :)

From what I have gathered, Puig works really well especially in fully raised positions, but I’m curious about fully lowered positions what wind flow and noise is like and also curious about airflow for cooling.  Certainly it won’t flow as much as the MRA Vario, but trying for a middle ground and dead air would be worse than better unless it’s 40deg. I really like that this screen reuses the factory vent flap, so I’m not concerned about back pressure like I would be with the VStream.

For the money, around $130 for a smoke version, I feel this is a reasonable option. 

Thanks for the feedback.

-Aaron

Online mgoodrich

• Bicycle
  • COG#: 4466
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: Puig Tour Screen Input from the 5’11” crowd
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2019, 06:15:34 pm »
Well, I'm right at 6ft so figured I will answer. Windshield is between 3 to 4inches taller than stock.

Fully lowered the wind hits me ~ top of shoulders.  Wind noise is kind of subjective though. I have a Sheoi RF1000 helmet with a visor and it is pretty noisy at this position.  I also have murph's handle bar risers which puts me more upright as well.

Fully extended, the wind is going about 2-3 inches over top of helmet, Quiet here.  I can lower the windshield down about 2 inches here and still ok, which is where I am planing on running it. Just a touch of a breeze on my hands at this point as well, so gives me more covered area than the stock windshield did in that area.

I have a stock seat on a 2017 model.  This riding was done @ 42 degrees out on December 30.  Weather was sunny here and roads were clear. Put 50 miles on that afternoon. Had ~ 20 mph winds from south, so road a loop to see how crosswinds were and it did a good job of protection there as well.

Only issue found is that the Puig is thinner compared to stock in the mounting area.  I had to place 1&1/4 inch diameter 1/8 thick rubber washers on top 2 holes underneath rubber washes already there.  I needed to put 7/8 inch diameter 1/16 inch thick on the other 4 holes in order to get the windshield tightened down properly on the brackets.  I picked the washers up at Lowes.

I don't have any experience with other windshields at this point as I only have about 350 miles on the Bike total.

Offline ZG/ZN Kim

• Kim
  • Mini Bike
  • COG#: 12363
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2019, 09:35:23 pm »
I am in that 5'-11" height range. I have had the Puig for 2 riding seasons now. I have it set on position 3, so the wind normally hits the top of my helmet, some noise, minor turbulence. If I raise the shield to the top, the air goes well above my helmet, and it quiets somewhat. When it is hot I can lower the shield to get air in the upper shoulder area.
Yes the Puig is thinner than the stock, but I did not do anything special mounting the shield, and have not noticed any looseness. Seems to me there is a rubber gasket  between the brackets, and I thought it fit snugly, but now I will have to check.
Have gone 100 mph+ several times with it, no issues with the shield. 
So 2 seasons with the shield, no issues. I would buy another one.

Offline BiggusDekkus

• Moped
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 11944
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2019, 01:09:18 am »
I installed a Puig on my 2016 about a year ago, and am pleased with it.  Here's a link to my write-up after installation which has more details: http://forum.cog-online.org/accessories-c14/puig-touring-windscreen-72630/
2016 Gray C14
previous bikes 2006 C10, 1977 Z1000
Jet Ski Ultra 300X & ST-15F
Lake Stevens, WA

Offline asguthrie

• Tricycle
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2019, 04:04:50 am »
I think yours was the review that really drew me to the Puig, NinjaBreadMan.  What's your experience with it in the lowest position related to wind noise and airflow?  I'm gathering that may be the noisiest position from other comments.  I am used to running foamy earplugs and rarely go without. Unless riding a Goldwing, I think hearing protection is just part of the gig. 

Kim and MGoodrich, thanks for the extra comments as well.    They help out a bunch ---  sounds like generally you're pretty satisfied especially in midway position on up.   

It's almost a curse that the windscreen in adjustable because for a person to be 100% happy from lowest to highest settings, I'm betting is rare.   On my old 1200 Bandit, I found the magic windscreen setup -- and it never changed.    My stock screen on the C14, I cut 1" off of and in the lowest position, I'm generally happy with it with quiet air on the helmet.  When raising it, I get less happy the higher it goes related to noise --  but in colder weather I won't complain, the protection is good.

I guess worst case with the Puig, I'd have a good cold weather shield and just run the stocker during the hottest months.   After not being terribly pleased with the Laminar Lip on the stock screen, I'm just trying to be safe before dropping another $100+ for another option.   

Offline BiggusDekkus

• Moped
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 11944
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2019, 11:57:06 pm »
Yes, in the lowest position, you get the most air on you, producing the most helmet noise.  As long as temps are under 85 degrees or so, I ride with the screen full up to keep wind noise minimized.  I'll only move the screen down when it's hot and I need more air on me.
2016 Gray C14
previous bikes 2006 C10, 1977 Z1000
Jet Ski Ultra 300X & ST-15F
Lake Stevens, WA