Author Topic: Puig Touring Windscreen  (Read 1448 times)

Offline NinjaBreadMan

• Moped
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 11944
  • Membership Level: Active
Puig Touring Windscreen
« on: December 08, 2017, 02:56:48 am »
After putting over 18,000 miles on my 2016 Concours, I felt a different windscreen would improve the riding experience, especially during colder months.  I ride in all four seasons, and live north of Seattle.  My previous bike, a 2006 Concours (C10 model) provided better wind protection, especially near the hands and head.  I was hoping to find a screen that’s a few inches taller than the existing windscreen, hoping that it would provide a quieter ride with less wind on my helmet.  Research from on-line forums and vendor websites led me to select the Puig Touring windscreen.  Revzilla had it for $134 with free shipping, and it was in stock.  This Puig windscreen comes in clear or light smoke, and I chose the clear to have best vision during night riding if looking through the windscreen.

The Puig windscreen arrived in about one week.  Installing it was easy, about 40 minutes including moving and positioning the vent and rubber washers.  I immediately noticed several differences from the stock windscreen.  The Puig was about 4” taller than stock, it was angled a little farther away from the driver, and was flared out near the mirrors.  I had previously installed 2” risers on the handlebars, and when turned extreme left or right, the brake reservoirs touched the stock screen at its lowest position.  The Puig screen had a couple inches clearance to the reservoirs, so it must be angled slightly away from the driver.  After the Puig was mounted, I measured 58” from ground to top of the windscreen when fully down, and 63.5” to the ground when fully extended.

Next I took it out for a test drive.  With the screen all the way up, I still was looking over the top, but the top of the screen was in my view.  If I hunched down slightly, I would be looking through the screen.  There was less wind noise, this screen is quieter and puts less wind on the rider, which was my objective for purchasing the Puig.  It seems that my hands were also warmer, and there was less air on them.  This was probably due to the flaring on the Puig, but maybe it was psychological.  At full extension, I noticed a little movement of the windscreen.  Maybe it was because the Puig is taller, maybe it was more flexible, or it could be that I noticed it more since the top of the screen was in the field of vision.  On this test ride, I took the bike up to 100 mph with the screen fully extended.  It did not seem to flex or be unstable, although it’s probably best to leave the screen down if you are running triple digits.  I think it would hold up fine in most any normal riding situation.

Choosing a windscreen is a personal preference, so your experience might be different than mine.  I felt that the Puig was not too big or too small, it’s the “right size” for me at 6 feet tall.  The Puig provides more wind protection and quiet, which achieved my objective.  I plan to keep the Puig on for as long as possible, and maybe revert to the stock screen if I’m riding in really hot weather where maximum airflow is needed.  I added some photos of the screen full down then full up, from the side and from the rear.  The bike was dirty from riding while the roads were still wet.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 03:08:53 am by NinjaBreadMan, Reason: Added photos »
2016 Gray C14
previous bikes 2006 C10, 1977 Z1000
Jet Ski Ultra 300X & ST-15F
Lake Stevens, WA

Offline 4Bikes

• Iron Butt
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 9715
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
Re: Puig Touring Windscreen
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2017, 12:32:24 am »
Thanks for the review. I tried the Puig, and noticed that the thickness was much less than the Cee Bailey Ultra dome I was running.  I estimate a thickness of 1/8” verses 1/4” inches in comparison. For that reason I thought the Puig would twist and the flex in the wind, and when testing it that was what I found, so I returned it. Could be I didn’t test it that long, and the shape and wind protection seemed to be as you describe. It was the thickness and flex’s that that had me a doubting that wind screen. If I had that one first before having the Cee Bailey I may have liked it better.  ::)
Silver 2011 C-14. Previous rides: KZ-400, KZ-750, KZ-1000.  Keep the rubber side down.  Ride Fast......Live Slow......

Offline JTX

• Crotch Rocket
  • TEXAS 2015 ZG14
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2017, 12:53:38 am »
I've found the stock screen pretty good.

You should try the side deflectors. I have them, and for cold months they do work to keep air pushed up and over your arms.

Offline freebird6

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 11012
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2017, 12:54:35 pm »
Thanks for the review. I tried the Puig, and noticed that the thickness was much less than the Cee Bailey Ultra dome I was running.  I estimate a thickness of 1/8” verses 1/4” inches in comparison. For that reason I thought the Puig would twist and the flex in the wind, and when testing it that was what I found, so I returned it. Could be I didn’t test it that long, and the shape and wind protection seemed to be as you describe. It was the thickness and flex’s that that had me a doubting that wind screen. If I had that one first before having the Cee Bailey I may have liked it better.  ::)

Really like the screen. When it developed a crack after 3K miles I contacted amazon and was told 3 months was way too long to warranty a motorcycle windsheild. Won't make that mistake again...Aeroflow and Puig ended up with the same fracture ....went back to the trusty Cee Bailey I had run for years

Offline OKC14

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2017, 01:29:21 pm »
For an OEM-quality screen that rivals Cee Bailey, check out Slipscreens version: https://www.slipscreens.co.uk/kawasaki-gtr-1400-touring-screen/

I have their sport screen and the thickness of the material is as thick as the OEM screen, beveled edges, looks stock.  They even have multiple colors to choose from.  Also will ship to the US.  IMO, they are as good or better than Cee Bailey and are miles ahead of the junk from Puig or CalSci.

Offline freebird6

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 11012
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2018, 03:05:36 pm »
Nice....thanks for the option.

Will have to file this away for the future