Author Topic: Pullback risers  (Read 946 times)

Online RoadKillHeaven

• How hard can it be? 。◕‿◕。
  • Mini Bike
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Pullback risers
« on: June 11, 2017, 11:17:33 am »
I've searched hi and low to find some feedback on AdvanceSportTouring Pullback risers.
Are they worth the investment?
I don't find stock C14 ergonomic tiring at all. However, coming from upright ADV bike I appreciate less pressure on my wrists that C14 currently offers.
How would Pullback risers work with stock aero, given C14 OE mirrors offer reasonable wind protection for OE handlebars?

Cheers...

Offline ZXtasy

• Bicycle
  • It rides the bike or it gets the lotion!
  • COG#: 12569
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: Pullback risers
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2017, 01:38:36 pm »
Hey RKH, glad to see you are surviving the flaming as intense as a C14's high beams....

The fact that I still spend about 50% of my time still on my 05 ZX-10, I find the stock C14 bars feel like ape hangers! Granted, my nekkid Zed-EX has drag bars and  risers that bring the position 4 inches up and 2 inches back from stock clipons, and I also have a prostate friendly custom seat, so it is still a pretty comfy gentlemen's express with my self made luggage  for 500 mile days.

The more time I spend on the Connie I can start to see why the 2 inch risers are so popular. I have a pair of Heli risers for sale on the Emporium, all funds going to the OtP fund. If interested hit me up. I think I hear alot of bad press about AST on this forum, sounds like a business implosion and though there were cool and innovative products, service after the sale or issues with faulty products could not be addressed.
2013 ZG-1400, 2005 ZX-10R (Nekkid), 2012 TW-200, 1999 TW-200....and more to come.

Offline Jerdurr

• Scooter
  • AREA: Northeast Area
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2017, 05:03:53 pm »
Just my 2 cents; I hate (yes, hate is a strong word, but it describes my feelings with precision) the Connie stock handlebars. I feel like the engineers wanted to create a handlebar mix of sports and touring (duh), and came out with a hybrid solution that works for none. The composed mixed angles make my wrists hurt, BAD.

I installed the AST risers, and the 2" up and back are a very welcome improvement. My neck is not as sore when going on long rides, but they don't remove the weird angle for my wrists, which still hurt. I know eventually i will be having to buy the horizon handlebars from Heli if I choose to keep the bike. It is hard, IMHO, to find the right ergos that work for you in this bike.

BTW, I ordered my raisers from AST, and had a good experience, this was just about a month and half ago.

Again, just my 2 cents, others will have different feelings that's for sure!
Cheers! :beerchug:
Best,

JD

--Harley Davidson is king when it comes to turning gas into smoke, without the outcome of power--

Offline Jim Snyder

• Crotch Rocket
  • The Connie Rocks !!!
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 7055
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2017, 05:42:10 pm »
I know this is a dumb question but does anyone make an adaptor plate for the C-14 to change it over to tubular bars like the Storz
adaptors for the C-10?
"Some days you're the windshield, and some days you're the bug" Get used to it cause thats life !!!

Offline Fais

• It's amazing what one can accomplish if it doesn't matter who gets the credit.
  • Sport Tourer
  • AREA: Southeast Area
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2017, 06:00:03 pm »
I know this is a dumb question but does anyone make an adaptor plate for the C-14 to change it over to tubular bars like the Storz
adaptors for the C-10?

Yes - Murph has 'em - but not sure about getting just the plate ....

:beerchug:
1976 BMW R90S (Luna) - 2000 KLR650 (Dirt McGirt) - 2005 SV1000 (Sue) - 2006 Vespa PX150 (Vino Negro) - 2014 C14 (Betty) - 2017 Z125Pro (MiniZ)
Whether you think you can or can't - you're right!
Instagram @ fais_the_photographer

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2017, 06:42:05 pm »
Murph sells 2 products, niether of them are for use with "tubular handlebars" like the ones for the C10 were.

He has riser blocks, which raise the OEM bars, and also wedge blocks, which tilt the OEM bars back a bit.

I guess I need to make some up, and send Gary the drawings...and wait for the cash to flow in... ;) :) :rotflmao:

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW

Offline Fais

• It's amazing what one can accomplish if it doesn't matter who gets the credit.
  • Sport Tourer
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2017, 06:49:15 pm »
Murph sells 2 products, niether of them are for use with "tubular handlebars" like the ones for the C10 were.

He has riser blocks, which raise the OEM bars, and also wedge blocks, which tilt the OEM bars back a bit.

I guess I need to make some up, and send Gary the drawings...and wait for the cash to flow in... ;) :) :rotflmao:

Ill post a link later - 
1976 BMW R90S (Luna) - 2000 KLR650 (Dirt McGirt) - 2005 SV1000 (Sue) - 2006 Vespa PX150 (Vino Negro) - 2014 C14 (Betty) - 2017 Z125Pro (MiniZ)

Offline AmphibSailor

• Hooligan
  • Street Cruiser
  • Ted calls me Cap'n Crunch.
  • COG#: 12210
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2017, 06:55:33 pm »
adaptors for the C-10?

LSL makes them. :motonoises: One of the guys I rode with at the GTR meeting this past week had them on his C14.

Superbike kit X bar<---click

Spiegler <---click resells them.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2017, 07:11:02 pm by AmphibSailor »

09 Concours aka 'The Cruncher:' Corbin Canyon Dual Sport (Laam for longer trips, Laam modded Corbin Modular with Smuggler for mid-length trips), Top Blocks, Penske 8983, Traxxion AK20s, Helibars Horizon ST bars w/Galfer SS +6 cables, MRA Vario Touring Windscreen/Madstad brackets (Copper Dawg sport screen for summer), Area P full system, throttle tamer, Steve's Flash.

Offline Motor Psycho

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 12190
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2017, 07:09:02 pm »
I have the pull back risers and I also use the Madstat Windsheild Brackets  on my 2015. This combination works great for me at 5'11".
My other bike is a Honda CBR1100XX and the Concours put more pressure on me than the Honda.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2017, 07:20:56 pm »

Ill post a link later -

While I was there is should have done it,
https://www.murphskits.com/product_info.php?cPath=130_133&products_id=282

Wedges
https://www.murphskits.com/product_info.php?cPath=130_133&products_id=466

Offline Fais

• Sport Tourer
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2017, 07:37:30 pm »
Rich - you are not helping!

Offline Fais

• Sport Tourer
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2017, 07:40:46 pm »
adaptors for the C-10?

LSL makes them. :motonoises: One of the guys I rode with at the GTR meeting this past week had them on his C14.

Nice one Patrick - were on Murph's site but no longer?
Available in USA?

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2017, 07:47:18 pm »

Sorry man...
Yes, I know Gary was selling them a while back, but the cost and stocking them was too prohibitive for the amount he sold...

I checked before I posted originally,  so I wouldn't look silly...and say that he sold them still... :truce: :-X

I was only trying to help.
Peace brother, chill in the shade, and have a cold beer on me. :beerchug:

And yes, available here thru spiegler, in Dayton, Ohio, about 2 hours from my house...
But sticker shock alert...
https://spieglerusa.com/handlebar-conversion-kit-4315.htm
 :-\ :-\

I'll also add a note of caution... that setup thru Spiegler is speced for the "FatBars", or as LSL calls them "X bar",
Those are 28 mm bars, or 1-1/8" diameter... if that setup is purchased, with the bars, your brake, clutch, and throttle, and switch pods will not fit them...
Just tossing out the warning, thatneds to be said, as some folks may just drop the money, and find out later... which would be bad.

I hope that helped. :rotflmao: :motonoises:
« Last Edit: June 11, 2017, 08:08:01 pm by MAN OF BLUES »

Offline Fais

• Sport Tourer
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2017, 08:05:25 pm »

Sorry man...
Yes, I know Gary was selling them a while back, but the cost and stocking them was too prohibitive for the amount he sold...

I checked before I posted originally,  so I wouldn't look silly...and say that he sold them still... :truce: :-X

I was only trying to help.
Peace brother, chill in the shade, and have a cold beer on me. :beerchug:

And yes, available here thru spiegler, in Dayton, Ohio, about 2 hours from my house...
But sticker shock alert...
https://spieglerusa.com/handlebar-conversion-kit-4315.htm
 :-\ :-\

At that price would be nice to try before you buy  :beerchug:

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2017, 08:17:40 pm »
As I noted in my updated post above, (see note)
C14 controls and OEM bar size is 7/8" common standard here..
So, Fatbars and Xbars are out...

You would need a set of 7/8" bars, and would need to buy, or fabricate filler sleeve spacers to adapt them to the LSL clamps.

If you click on that photo on the Spiegler page, t will animate and show alternate view, which still confuses, as there is a major gap o sis on the clutch lever housing side... I don't know what they mean by "reservior relocation brackets", but its not clear in photos, then lumped together with brake lines and bars, hard to tell what you really get...

Id say best bet is to call them....

$520 is a lot.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2017, 08:25:22 pm by MAN OF BLUES »

Offline gPink

• Iron Butt
  • MMVIII C XIV
  • COG#: 9403
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2017, 10:03:43 pm »
I am running LSL adapter/risers with old style C10 Helibars. Found reducing spacers from https://www.oldbikebarn.com/
All evil is accomplished by the imposition of will.

Offline Fais

• Sport Tourer
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2017, 11:18:38 pm »
I am running LSL adapter/risers with old style C10 Helibars. Found reducing spacers from https://www.oldbikebarn.com/

Are there any pics of your setup? Curious to check that out.

Offline gPink

• Iron Butt
  • MMVIII C XIV
  • COG#: 9403
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2017, 11:22:04 pm »
Fais, I'll get the missus to take a couple of phone pics. I'll be a day or two.
All evil is accomplished by the imposition of will.

Offline Fais

• Sport Tourer
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2017, 11:38:26 pm »
Fais, I'll get the missus to take a couple of phone pics. I'll be a day or two.

✌🏽👍🏽🏍💨⚙️

If easier to email them I'll post them for you via the secog photobucket page  :beerchug:

faisalpetro@yahoo.com

:beerchug:

Offline alansides

• Tricycle
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2017, 12:35:37 am »
I've searched hi and low to find some feedback on AdvanceSportTouring Pullback risers.
Are they worth the investment?
I don't find stock C14 ergonomic tiring at all. However, coming from upright ADV bike I appreciate less pressure on my wrists that C14 currently offers.
How would Pullback risers work with stock aero, given C14 OE mirrors offer reasonable wind protection for OE handlebars?

Cheers...

Yup, I love them. Didn't think I'd notice much but they took my neck strain away from setting up straighter.

Others warned me they blow you off and don't ship very well. They have even been reported to the BBB but I took a chance and they came right away.

Theirs is the only one piece design I could find. They worked well. The only hiccup was I had to put a couple washers between the brake line block bracket and the riser.

Everything else stretched out enough. I think you loosten two c-clamps and that's it. No need to crack a brake line at all.

Offline AmphibSailor

• Hooligan
  • Street Cruiser
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2017, 02:13:15 am »
adaptors for the C-10?

Nice one Patrick - were on Murph's site but no longer?
Available in USA?

Fais, Yup...the link is to Spiegler USA.   :motonoises:

I've put fat bars on other bike's...and seem to remember that the ends were all reduced to 7/8" so stock controls would fit.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 02:19:27 am by AmphibSailor »

09 Concours aka 'The Cruncher:' Corbin Canyon Dual Sport (Laam for longer trips, Laam modded Corbin Modular with Smuggler for mid-length trips), Top Blocks, Penske 8983, Traxxion AK20s, Helibars Horizon ST bars w/Galfer SS +6 cables, MRA Vario Touring Windscreen/Madstad brackets (Copper Dawg sport screen for summer), Area P full system, throttle tamer, Steve's Flash.

Offline AmphibSailor

• Hooligan
  • Street Cruiser
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2017, 04:18:56 am »
As I noted in my updated post above, (see note)
C14 controls and OEM bar size is 7/8" common standard here..
So, Fatbars and Xbars are out...

You would need a set of 7/8" bars, and would need to buy, or fabricate filler sleeve spacers to adapt them to the LSL clamps.

X-Bars<--click are 22.2 mm at the ends.  This is pretty close to 7/8 inch. [.874 vs .875 inch). :motonoises:  So fat in the middle (28.5 mm = 1.122 inch ~ 1-1/8 inch) and skinny on the ends.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 04:32:31 am by AmphibSailor »

Offline ZXtasy

• Bicycle
  • It rides the bike or it gets the lotion!
  • COG#: 12569
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2017, 11:41:14 am »
Yes, 1" and 1.125 inch bars are usually necked down on the ends for controls. If the Heli riser blocks I ave don't sell I will machine them into tubular bar risers and play around that way. I will say my wrists do feel a bit less comfy on the C-14 vs ZX-10, but I figure part of that is just acclimating to the new position. I have been switching on and off 4 to 5 very different bikes a week for 5 years, so my wrists and neck are in a constant state of confusion :))
2013 ZG-1400, 2005 ZX-10R (Nekkid), 2012 TW-200, 1999 TW-200....and more to come.

Offline Jorge

• Officer
  • Sport Tourer
  • COG#: 9297
  • Membership Level: Event Host
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2017, 01:35:11 pm »
I'm 6'0" with 33" inseam.
PO is smaller than me and had installed risers and pullbacks; I figured I'd take them off (at least the pullbacks) after my shoulder healed and got stronger... I've changed my mind.
I like the very slight forward mean I now have, so they're staying.
Jorge

Offline IngolfStern

• Tricycle
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2017, 04:33:57 pm »
I have a spare set of pullback risers, like 2" up and 1.5" back.

I'd sell em to ya.

I prefer the stock bar position. It is perfect for me. Perfect.

Also have passenger peg lowering blocks.