Author Topic: Quick Release Fuel Cap  (Read 13062 times)

Offline Jon

• Scooter
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Re: Quick Release Fuel Cap
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2015, 01:20:40 pm »
never understood the paranoia with having to have a locking gas cap.   :-[      Are people getting gas siphoned out everywhere?   In all my years of riding (25+)....I have never heard or seen someone get gas stolen out of there bike. 

I'd like to put a simple gas cap on the C14.   Much easier to deal with.   Heck, my Triumph Bonneville does not have one. 

Offline Landon

• Scooter
  • AREA: North Central Area
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2015, 01:26:31 pm »
I agree, I went ahead and ordered one from Ebay. Mine is covered with a tank bag 95% of the time anyway.
Landon
2012 C14 Arabian Red

Offline Scup

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 11596
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2015, 01:51:44 pm »
I like the locking cap only because the cap stays in place.  I've toyed with cutting the key off and leaving it in the cap, but so far it hasn't worked out.  I did cut off the closing lock tangs so I don't need to leave the key in the cap to close it.  Open - remove key - close when ready.

Josh

Offline The Pope

• Crotch Rocket
  • North Carolina AAD
  • COG#: 9994
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2015, 04:59:08 pm »
Any update from those of you that got one of these? Still like it and working good?
Like I've reported earlier, no issues.  :great:
The Pope
2011 Atomic Silver C-14 (aka TheImprovedSilverDammit)

"The Universe is a contest between engineers making things idiot-proof and God making bigger idiots. So far, God is winning by a wide margin." (Unknown author, well I don't know who said it.)

Offline Landon

• Scooter
« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2015, 11:18:07 pm »
Got mine today and it took all of about 5 minutes to install. I really like the fit and finish on this thing.

« Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 11:22:41 pm by Landon »
Landon
2012 C14 Arabian Red

Offline Michael

• Training Wheels
  • COG#: 12095
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2015, 10:05:12 pm »
Please keep us posted after a few months/rains. If it's a great fit I will be certainly jump on board. 

Now let's get something like this for the side bags - with locks.
There is, Have 2 keys made at a locksmith & then buy 2 black stereo knobs from radio shack. Cut the large end of the keys off & glue/epoxy the key into the knobs. You can leave the keys in the bags & they look stock. Take them out when you leave the bike somewhere. I have one in each bag & leave one in the seat lock. When I fuel up I just reach down & grab the one out of the seat lock to unlock the fuel cap, Nice & quick/easy & I never have to touch the stove knob  :beerchug:

Do you have pics of this?

Offline Michael

• Training Wheels
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2015, 10:13:18 pm »
Not sure if I over looked this question...is the quick cap a one piece system where it's hinged, chained, or is it a two piece and the cap separates completely from the tank?

Offline Landon

• Scooter
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2015, 10:15:38 pm »
Not sure if I over looked this question...is the quick cap a one piece system where it's hinged, chained, or is it a two piece and the cap separates completely from the tank?

The one I posted pictures of is a two piece design. I set the tank bag on the seat and then set the gas cap on it while I fuel.
Landon
2012 C14 Arabian Red

Offline The Pope

• Crotch Rocket
  • North Carolina AAD
  • COG#: 9994
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2015, 08:39:23 am »
See post #18 in this thread for photos: http://forum.cog-online.org/index.php/topic,37700.msg212568.html#msg212568
The Pope
2011 Atomic Silver C-14 (aka TheImprovedSilverDammit)

"The Universe is a contest between engineers making things idiot-proof and God making bigger idiots. So far, God is winning by a wide margin." (Unknown author, well I don't know who said it.)

Offline RideBellChain

• I ride because I can...
  • Street Cruiser
  • Nothing like a good sweeper on an empty road...
    • RideBellChain.com Send a bell, receive a free bell!
  • COG#: 10039
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2015, 05:12:31 pm »
Still happy with my purchase - works fine.  I did once or twice think I smelled gas, but was never able to figure out where, so I'm guessing it was from another vehicle.  No water or crap in the tank and it's been a while now.  This was actually a GOOD upgrade.  Some of the other green anodized stuff I've picked up - fluid covers for example, have really gotten washed out by the Florida sun, but the gas cap looks brand spankin' new still.  No explanation...
Ride Safe!
Mark
http://www.RideBellChain.com

Road Captain SCRC 456 - West Palm Beach, FL
ROK ROK100028857

Offline Michael

• Training Wheels
« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2015, 10:05:36 pm »
never understood the paranoia with having to have a locking gas cap.   :-[      Are people getting gas siphoned out everywhere?   In all my years of riding (25+)....I have never heard or seen someone get gas stolen out of there bike. 

I'd like to put a simple gas cap on the C14.   Much easier to deal with.   Heck, my Triumph Bonneville does not have one.

Me neither. But I have heard of haters putting dirt & rocks in gas tanks of bikes and cars.

Online ZG

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 9735
« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2015, 11:19:10 pm »

Me neither. But I have heard of haters putting dirt & rocks in gas tanks of bikes and cars.

+1...  :goodpost: :iagree:

BAD A$$ isn't cheap, and cheap isn't BAD A$$...

Offline Fais

• It's amazing what one can accomplish if it doesn't matter who gets the credit.
  • Sport Tourer
« Reply #37 on: August 31, 2015, 12:16:47 pm »

Believe that in most of the world free gas is a real thing. It comes from others' tanks.

In Peru the Moto taxis would line up to buy the gas out of my bikes every day - knowing the tourists would pay to fill them up in the morning. It was a nice thing I could do to help out, gas is $6/gal there. 
In Thailand people were syphoning gas at the bars late at night bc gas stations were closed... And there would be acres of scoots in the bar districts.
So, in the U.S. it might be unneeded bc the poor here don't ride. In some places only the poor ride.

1976 BMW R90S (Luna) - 2000 KLR650 (Dirt McGirt) - 2005 SV1000 (Sue) - 2006 Vespa PX150 (Vino Negro) - 2014 C14 (Betty) - 2017 Z125Pro (MiniZ)
Whether you think you can or can't - you're right!
Instagram @ fais_the_photographer

Offline Michael

• Training Wheels
« Reply #38 on: August 31, 2015, 03:06:17 pm »

Believe that in most of the world free gas is a real thing. It comes from others' tanks.

In Peru the Moto taxis would line up to buy the gas out of my bikes every day - knowing the tourists would pay to fill them up in the morning. It was a nice thing I could do to help out, gas is $6/gal there. 
In Thailand people were syphoning gas at the bars late at night bc gas stations were closed... And there would be acres of scoots in the bar districts.
So, in the U.S. it might be unneeded bc the poor here don't ride. In some places only the poor ride.

That is a sobering perspective. 

Offline SAS Mayhem

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 9199
« Reply #39 on: September 01, 2015, 09:27:18 am »
Well I jumped on the band wagon too. Just ordered one.
Cheers
Ron
COG & AMA Member
06 C10
09 C14

try to live a day without doing one of the 5 D’s....Deny, Defer, Deflect, Discount and Deceit...tougher than it sounds....

Offline CW

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #40 on: September 01, 2015, 07:11:18 pm »
Interesting to note that my wife's Ford Focus does not even have a gas cap. Open the gas hole door (no lock), and there's the hole: no cap to remove at all! There's a little spring-loaded flap down inside the gas hole that keeps fuel from spilling out.
2010 Neptune blue C-14
2009 KLR
2103 DR-Z400S

Offline TRM-KS

• Bicycle
  • COG#: 10361
« Reply #41 on: September 01, 2015, 07:51:06 pm »
Interesting to note that my wife's Ford Focus does not even have a gas cap. Open the gas hole door (no lock), and there's the hole: no cap to remove at all! There's a little spring-loaded flap down inside the gas hole that keeps fuel from spilling out.

Same here.  My wife wanted the ST model, which I was OK with, since she has green-lighted two Vettes for me (not at the same time).  The lack of a locking fuel door, and the capless filler, concerned me but it's been a couple months now and no issues.  That thing goes like a scalded cat, too...     

Offline Rev Ryder

• Officer
  • I Need a Life
  • We came. We saw. We Concours-ed.
    • Presbychuck
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 7235
  • Membership Level: Executive Director
« Reply #42 on: September 01, 2015, 09:41:21 pm »
Ford Focus... NASCAR fuel filler approved.
Fortis non Ferox
 Shafties Can't Wheelie

Online ZG

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 9735
« Reply #43 on: September 02, 2015, 01:23:43 am »

Same here.  My wife wanted the ST model, which I was OK with, since she has green-lighted two Vettes for me (not at the same time).  The lack of a locking fuel door, and the capless filler, concerned me but it's been a couple months now and no issues.  That thing goes like a scalded cat, too...   

:o :o

BAD A$$ isn't cheap, and cheap isn't BAD A$$...

Offline Racerboy

• Road Bike
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #44 on: September 02, 2015, 03:16:47 am »
My 2012 Ford Fusion has the same thing. 70K miles and it has never leaked.

Offline Skiee

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 11459
« Reply #45 on: September 04, 2015, 11:49:47 pm »
Cheers
Ron
Me too, Ron!
Just got mine and am really impressed with the finish on this thing. I guess I didn't expect the quality level of the build.
And,as a bonus,got it under 2 weeks(9 days)!
2009 Concours 14 (Francis)
AMA# 3044870
CDA# 510

Offline Ninja

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 11900
« Reply #46 on: September 07, 2015, 04:04:43 pm »
Mine has been installed for several months now and I love not having to fiddle with a key to fill up.  :beerchug:
2015 BMW S1000R - Replaced 2015 H2
2014 ZX-6R (track bike) replaced 2011 10R
2015 C14 - Fastest Color "Candy Lime Green"!
2005 KDX 200, 1984 Honda V65 Magna only 10K miles and immaculate and a 1983 Honda V45 Interceptor (Restoration project)

Offline SAS Mayhem

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #47 on: September 08, 2015, 12:39:17 pm »
Cheers
Ron
Me too, Ron!
Just got mine and am really impressed with the finish on this thing. I guess I didn't expect the quality level of the build.
And,as a bonus,got it under 2 weeks(9 days)!

That good to know, mine just left Charlotte NC, I should have it tomorrow. ;)

Cheers
Ron
COG & AMA Member
06 C10
09 C14

try to live a day without doing one of the 5 D’s....Deny, Defer, Deflect, Discount and Deceit...tougher than it sounds....

Offline Landon

• Scooter
« Reply #48 on: September 08, 2015, 06:39:02 pm »
I've done 2,000+ miles with mine now and have had zero issues with venting or water entering the tank. I rode in a heavy rain for 2+ hours on one trip and still no indication of water entering the tank.
Landon
2012 C14 Arabian Red

Offline SAS Mayhem

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #49 on: September 08, 2015, 07:58:12 pm »
Mine was waiting for me when I got home. 3minutes to install. Looks great.

Cheers
Ron
COG & AMA Member
06 C10
09 C14