Author Topic: quietest swlipon exhaust  (Read 10631 times)

Offline bob

• Tricycle
  • No Pics means No Post
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
quietest swlipon exhaust
« on: June 25, 2011, 05:10:39 pm »
from experience. my main concern is highway drone. most of the pipes on youtube sound basically the same. jmho'
I know it will be louder than stock. of all the pipes i've listen to, the Bos GT street exhaust ranks #1 to my ears,
2011 silver
kawasaki top trunk
Larrys peg lowers
Givi E55 trunk

Offline Fred_Harmon_TX

• COG Technical Editor
  • Industry Member
  • Iron Butt
    • Angel Ride Videos
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 2170
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: quietest swlipon exhaust
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2011, 05:20:10 pm »
I wish someone would make an aftermarket slip on that looked better than the OEM, but was just as quiet as the stock can is. I'd buy it in a heartbeat.
Fred H.

Thanksgiving Sale in Effect now!  Concours 1400 Maintenance Videos 
http://www.angelridevideos.com

Offline Cap'n Bob

• GOLD STAR
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 7134
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2011, 08:31:35 pm »
Nobody has tried them all, so there is no way to answer your thread! The Area P was pretty quiet. But it had a very slight drone on the highway (that I noticed). So I went back to the OEM pipe. If you want quiet, it is pretty much the only choice, OEM. If you want the lowest amount of noise in a aftermarket can. Well then the Area P is one of, if not the quietest can you can get. And is worth a look!

Offline kirmaniac

• Tricycle
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2011, 10:09:38 pm »
Like Fred, I like the quietness of the stock pipe. Is anyone running a reflashed ECU that opens the flies sooner and running the stock stealth muffler? I think that is what I want. I may miss some hp gains but keep the stealth factor.
Two Brothers and V&H offer inserts to quiet the sound but I imagine the inserts take some HP away also.

Offline Fred_Harmon_TX

• COG Technical Editor
  • Industry Member
  • Iron Butt
    • Angel Ride Videos
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2011, 12:48:01 am »
I split the questions about Guhl Reflash off into a separate topic so this one didn't get sidetracked.
Fred H.

Offline wally_games

• Moped
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2011, 04:19:32 pm »
I've swapped some emails with pipecity.com and they say the quietest is the Leo Vince SBK as it comes with the insert already installed. It can be removed easily if you want more volume. There are several YouTube clips out there.

I think I'm going with the V&H CSOne, but getting the insert to make it quieter. I'm mainly looking for a better looking exhaust (my main concern) with only a little bit better sound and without a lot of extra volume. If anyone has run this configuration, please let me know your thoughts.

Offline Zman

• Tricycle
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2011, 04:40:41 pm »
I agree the CS One is the best looking, I could not find a sound clip anywhere with the insert.

I was hot to buy one this weekend and took a ride last night and kind of appreciated the stealthiness of the stock can.

I'm with Fred & Bob, if V&H would make a quiet one,,,,,,,,, I'd be all over it.

Z

Offline Fred_Harmon_TX

• COG Technical Editor
  • Industry Member
  • Iron Butt
    • Angel Ride Videos
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2011, 06:47:37 pm »
I agree the CS One is the best looking, I could not find a sound clip anywhere with the insert.

I was hot to buy one this weekend and took a ride last night and kind of appreciated the stealthiness of the stock can.

I'm with Fred & Bob, if V&H would make a quiet one,,,,,,,,, I'd be all over it.

Z

Send Vance and Hines and email and let them know how you feel. I bet if they get enough requests they make a quieter version of the CS One.
Fred H.

Offline Trex1200r

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Southwest Area
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2011, 05:41:30 pm »
The Leo Vince SBK Slip On is pretty darn quiet.    It has been epa approved for on street use which is different from a lot of off road only pipes out there.  I honestly can't remember now what the bike sounded like stock, but have never whacked the throttle and thought I wish it were a little quieter.....
Please ride responsibly.

Offline Bagger

• Mini Bike
  • COG#: 9849
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2011, 01:00:58 am »
Nobody has tried them all, so there is no way to answer your thread! The Area P was pretty quiet. But it had a very slight drone on the highway (that I noticed). So I went back to the OEM pipe. If you want quiet, it is pretty much the only choice, OEM. If you want the lowest amount of noise in a aftermarket can. Well then the Area P is one of, if not the quietest can you can get. And is worth a look!

I have no experience with Area Ps on the the Connie.  But, I had a dual set up on my 2007 ZX14 and it was louder than anything I've experienced.  And, I rode for a decade with open pipes on Harleys. 

Bob may have more experience than me with Area Ps on the C14, but those cans are WAY LOUD on my ZX14.  But, I had to use ear plugs on every ride ... never had to do that before on any bike.

I'm running a Holeshot single can/mid pipe on my bike presently.  It is pretty nice around town, and down the road ... but, if you crank the right hand, it will come alive.  Not obnoxious by any means, tho.  Just a powerful sound IMO. 

But, Area  Ps are just straight thru cans.  The wind from them will blow your hat off.  It was done with my friend when I hooked up the APs.  I can't imagine Area Ps being different on th C14 than my ZX1400.
"I'm not a vigilante ... I'm just an undocumented border patrol agent."

Offline mick6777

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Northwest Area
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2011, 03:31:16 am »
Based on all I have read I think I'm going to do the ECU reflash and leave the stock can. The guy I bought it from painted it all flat black, and my bike is black so you don't notice the size as much.

Mick

Offline Trex1200r

• Tricycle
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2011, 08:21:23 pm »
The guy I bought it from painted it all flat black, and my bike is black so you don't notice the size as much.

Mick

Lipstick on a pig,  a paperbag and a six pack of beer,  perfume on a monkey's butt.  Sorry Mick, it isn't going to help that much.  Especially if you ever intend on riding without your saddle bags.  There are some lighter, quiet, better sounding, better performing options out there.  But, then again, who really cares how it looks?  You don't see it when your riding.  My guess is it is just a matter of time before you convince yourself to ditch the anchor.  If it bothered you enough to mention it, it will continue to weigh on you.  Literally.
Please ride responsibly.

Offline mick6777

• Tricycle
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2011, 01:42:21 am »
Good point Trex. Guess I need to keep reading so I pick the right one.

Offline Zman

• Tricycle
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2011, 10:17:43 pm »
I don't know, I was going tosay that was kind of Harsh!! :beerchug: :beerchug: I just ran 80 miles of serious  twisties letting it growl in it's quiet way in 2nd and 3rd with a BIG QUIET FREAKING GRIN!!!

Z

Offline kirmaniac

• Tricycle
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2011, 12:11:47 pm »
I been riding for the last week with a new Vance and Hines CS One. At highway steady state speeds the noise is not noticeable, it is only when one runs it through the gears that the noise becomes noticeable and then it is a good noise. The thing I miss over the stock pipe is that I can no longer drop down 2 or 3 gears without anyone knowing. Currently I do not have a silencer installed, I think I may buy one and see how I like it. I have heard it make the exhaust noise deeper.

Offline fartymarty

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 9712
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2011, 03:04:33 pm »
I must really have no sense of style as I just don't notice how bad the stock muffler looks ('10). Am I really alone here? I do notice it's size when the bags are off. Still most of the
after market ones with the flat end caps (or the minimally tapered ones) look just like car mufflers only smaller, in other words U G L Y. Is there a course I can take to get the sense of style
that I'm apparently missing, or is this really all about the noise and I am just too naive to get it?  ???

Offline Bruce_Reafsnider_TN

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Southeast Area
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2011, 11:01:03 pm »
What I find a hoot is thatthe V&H pipe looks closest to the stock  pipe, only smaller.  I'm seriously thining about getting a Muzzy's, and polished at that    8)

Offline Jagman

• Mini Bike
  • COG#: 9631
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2011, 05:38:43 pm »
I love my Vance and Hines CS1 on my 2011.  It has a very rich and subtle purr at idle but will give you a real nice performance growl when twisting aggressively.  I do not find that this pipe drones at highway speeds at all.  I will also say that I kind of miss the stealth quietness of the stock can but not enough to put it back on.  Still working on  a way to get Guhl a MAP so he can reflash with the VH can.

Offline Bagger

• Mini Bike
  • COG#: 9849
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2011, 08:17:14 pm »
My "Full Monty" Muzzy dual carbon fiber system (along with the modified center stand) has arrived.  I'm excited about hooking it up.

But, 1st, I want to do a dyno run with the present ECU re-Flash and the Holeshot slip on to get base line numbers.  The bike runs terrific in present trim, I must add !

Once the Muzzy 4-2-2 is installed ... I'll do another dyno run to see where the number map out compared to the initial run. 

Then, I'll ship the charts off to Joe at Dynotronics to see if we need to 'tweek' the ECU with the new set up.

May take a while getting the dyno run, hooking up the Muzzy 4-2-2 and then running a new dyno again.

I'm not all that savvy about dynos.  I figure just a base line horse power and torque is fine.  What about O2 sensor stuff?  Or, anything else that may be of interest?  Please give me some feed back regarding what I should have done on Dyno Day.

Thanx.
"I'm not a vigilante ... I'm just an undocumented border patrol agent."

Offline Tundra Tom

• Street Cruiser
  • XLR8
  • COG#: 8925
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2011, 09:15:59 pm »
I researched this subject to death before settling on the Area P CF slip on. At the time it was deamed the quietest available. I cannot hear it on the hiway even without the saddle bag over. That's with wearing a full face helmet and ear plugs. Sounds like a deep, mellow superbike when you really wind out the motor, no flies, PC3. 35,000 miles later and it sounds the same. I could not be happier. Thanks Area P !  :)
"When my time has come I'd rather be in the Saddle then the Recliner"
1974 Kawasaki H-1 500
1975 Norton 850 Commando
2013 BMW GS 650 Sertao
2008 Suzuki Bandit 1250 Yes, I ride all four of them.:)

Offline wally_games

• Moped
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2011, 11:12:23 pm »
I been riding for the last week with a new Vance and Hines CS One. At highway steady state speeds the noise is not noticeable, it is only when one runs it through the gears that the noise becomes noticeable and then it is a good noise. The thing I miss over the stock pipe is that I can no longer drop down 2 or 3 gears without anyone knowing. Currently I do not have a silencer installed, I think I may buy one and see how I like it. I have heard it make the exhaust noise deeper.

Come back and keep us posted if you get the dB insert. I'm still thinking about going this route.

Offline elektra

• Mini Bike
  • COG#: 9508
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2011, 12:22:21 am »
My used 2009 C14 came with a Two Brothers carbon fiber slip-on. It just sounded loud and weird coming off 16 years and 4 Harleys. I guess it must appeal to someone. It also popped on deceleration and engine braking. My 2011 stock pipes stay right where they are. I really couldn't notice whatever loss of actual HP there was. But it rides so quiet all there is is wind noise. That is a blessing I can appreciate. I wear custom earplugs under both Shoei full face; one flip the other fixed. Granted under 65 the wind noise may be tolerable but cruising at 85+it's probably loud enough to cause damage during prolonged exposure, thus the need for plugs even with the stock exhaust; even factoring in goin deaf at 61.
'70 Honda 305 Dream, '79 Triumph 750 Bonneville, '85 BMW K100 Turbocharged, '95 HD Heritage, '97 HD Dresser, '97 HD Road King, 2001 HD Dyna, 2009 Kawi C14, 2011 Kawi C14 ABS

Offline mick6777

• Tricycle
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2011, 04:03:43 am »
Okay guys,
I did the reflash and Area P slip on. I'd say I like the bike about 30 percent more in terms of performance, sound and looks. Thanks for your tips. The mods only took 1.5 hours working slowly. The easiest mods I have ever done.

Mick

Offline Jagman

• Mini Bike
  • COG#: 9631
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2011, 03:46:23 pm »
Okay guys,
I did the reflash and Area P slip on. I'd say I like the bike about 30 percent more in terms of performance, sound and looks. Thanks for your tips. The mods only took 1.5 hours working slowly. The easiest mods I have ever done.

Mick

Mick who's re-flash did you do?

Offline mick6777

• Tricycle
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2011, 05:07:07 pm »
Guhl motors. Friendly and fast service.

Mick