Author Topic: RADIATOR GUARD  (Read 652 times)

Offline Buzzard

• Scooter
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 11145
  • Membership Level: Active
RADIATOR GUARD
« on: July 05, 2018, 07:50:31 pm »
I've been kicking around the notion of getting a radiator guard put on my 2016 for a while.
Picked one up from Fleabay about two weeks ago and put it on. Good quality and super easy to mount, just one bottom bolt and 2 zip-ties. This was not a "brand" name piece rather a generic guard that I've seen other similar varieties on line.

It's been hot (mid-90's) in North Carolina the last week. With the guard in place the bike is now running at least a full bar hotter,  I wasn't expecting this much of a temp increase :o  The fan comes on almost as soon as I come to a stop. I'm sure this won't be a problem later in the year, just curious if others have experienced the same scenario.

I've got a fenda extender on the front, and now I'm not so sure if the guard is all that "necessary" as I've taken it off so the bike can return to normal operating temps for the summer.
Buzzard
2016 C-14 Metallic Moondust Grey
2002 C-10 "SOLD*
1980 KZ550 LTD  a work in progress Café Racer
2006 Suzuki C50

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 5977
Re: RADIATOR GUARD
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2018, 08:16:03 pm »
wrong section, try the C14 section....

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline Buzzard

• Scooter
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2018, 12:21:39 am »
Isn't this the C-14 accessories section?
Buzzard
2002 C-10 "SOLD*
2006 Suzuki C50

Offline Buzzard

• Scooter
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2018, 12:29:56 am »
Okay, I see the moderator moved the thread to the C-14 section, my bad.
Buzzard
2002 C-10 "SOLD*
2006 Suzuki C50

Offline Ken

• Skinman
  • Bicycle
  • Retired fireman, Vietnam, 101st ABN. 2/17 CAV
  • COG#: 11782
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2018, 12:46:34 am »
Does it conform to shape ?

Offline sininja

• Moped
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2018, 10:26:02 am »
the fender extender isn't enough on its own...  you need both.  I learned the hard way

Offline ghostrider990

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 12649
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2018, 11:46:50 am »
the fender extender isn't enough on its own...  you need both.  I learned the hard way

+1
Even with the relative increase in the indicated coolant temp - you're WAY better off having that extra protection for the radiator.
If you are REALLY concerned, maybe try changing to a cooler running cocktail of coolant -- i think somebody (SISF) posted up his secret recipe last summer.  That would certainly level the indicated temps off to the previous levels.

I wanna say Steve also posted up the actual temps indicated by each bar segment on the temp gauge in Fahrenheit degrees - so, it IS possible that you could have been at say 200 degrees previously, and then bumped to 215 (total random example) because it was right on the upper edge of "two bars" of indicated temp range.  Make sense?
Bottom line -- I don't think I'd get too worried about it unless you're seeing the temps spike on the temp gauge to 4 or 5 bars. 
Mine runs consistently in the middle range in hot NC temps, and will dip down one bar in cooler operating temps.

In addition to changing to a "cooler" running coolant mix, you could also run a "thicker" blend of Oil in the summer months to protect against the perceived increase in overall operating temps and "stress" on the engine.
personally, I run 20w-50 mobil1 year round.  And although this is not the generally accepted 10w-40 blend, it IS well within the operating specs in the service manual for my year round operating temps.

One of the reasons I run this oil, is that I can buy a gallon (5 quart) jug at Walmart for $25.  It meets the Kawi standard and has no friction modifiers in the blend, unlike all of the other Mobil1 Automotive jug variants, so it won't mess with our clutch plates.

I do run a regular 50/50 mix of kawi green coolant presently.

gr
« Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 11:57:14 am by ghostrider990 »
..."I like to keep this handy -- for Close Encounters"...