Author Topic: Rear fender NOW GROUP BUY!!!  (Read 14908 times)

Offline Grant

• HOTROD TRUCKS & BIKES
  • Road Bike
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 12666
  • Membership Level: Active
Rear fender NOW GROUP BUY!!!
« on: October 22, 2017, 02:42:05 pm »
I am preparing to commute year around on my C14, being a brand new machine I would like to do everything I can to keep crap out of the nooks and crannies. I have looked at a few rear fender opinions however this one from Project D is the only one I found that isn't just an extension of the factory fender and doesn't add protection for the shock and back of the engine. http://projektd.com/product_info.php?products_id=123
This Fender from Project D looks like a fine piece, and does exactly what I was looking for but the price is ridiculous!!! Anyone know of a more cost-effective option to this fender??? I would like to use something like this fender in conjunction with one of the Factory Fender extenders for complete protection.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 10:39:00 pm by Grant »
2005 C10, 2016 C14 and a work in progress custom V-TWIN pro Street.

Offline Grant

• HOTROD TRUCKS & BIKES
  • Road Bike
Re: Rear fender
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2017, 04:29:19 pm »
Oh I found Project D has one made of fiberglass with a more reasonable price but still a little spendy. http://projektd.com/product_info.php?cPath=27_58&products_id=124.
Murph you need to make one and put it together as a package deal with your front and rear fender extenders!!! If you do put me at the front of the line please!!!

Offline gsun

• Crotch Rocket
  • CDA #560
  • COG#: 9127
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2017, 05:03:12 pm »
I have the Projektd in fibreglass. It is really worth the money and when you see it, what's involved in making it and the mounting hardware, I think the price is not bad at all. With that I don't know that you would need a read fender extender. Don't really like the looks either. The front extender works great.

Offline Grant

• HOTROD TRUCKS & BIKES
  • Road Bike
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2017, 05:31:41 pm »
I have the Projektd in fibreglass. It is really worth the money and when you see it, what's involved in making it and the mounting hardware, I think the price is not bad at all. With that I don't know that you would need a read fender extender. Don't really like the looks either. The front extender works great.

Thanks for your response. Does this fender keep the spray off the back of the bike and rider as well as out of the back of the swing arm?

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2017, 06:34:33 pm »
Road spray and grit up the back of this bike is attrocious, if you ride on roads with dirt and in the rain...  I have to hose down my trunk box after a two day trip if raining just to get my trunk key to work...
 There is a large rear add on that works well tho...

http://forum.cog-online.org/industry-member-cog-offerings/concours-(c14)-fender-extenders-front-and-rear/msg102894/#msg102894

Pretty affordable, and if you use some lternate mounting thought, you can make it easily removable for changing rear tire, by using small screws with nylok nuts to install it..
As for that huge "gap" at the front of the rear fender, a small "mudflap" can be easily fabricated from an old innertube, and pop riveted to the lower lip up there, it is inconspicuous, and will keep that rectifier box and associated are much cleaner...

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline JTX

• Crotch Rocket
  • TEXAS 2015 ZG14
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2017, 11:02:41 pm »
I am preparing to commute year around on my C14, being a brand new machine I would like to do everything I can to keep crap out of the nooks and crannies. I have looked at a few rear fender opinions however this one from Project D is the only one I found that isn't just an extension of the factory fender and doesn't add protection for the shock and back of the engine. http://projektd.com/product_info.php?products_id=123
This Fender from Project D looks like a fine piece, and does exactly what I was looking for but the price is ridiculous!!! Anyone know of a more cost-effective option to this fender??? I would like to use something like this fender in conjunction with one of the Factory Fender extenders for complete protection.

I am using this project D from the UK. I think you can find it state-side for a little better price than that though.

When I installed it, I could NOT get the fender to install with equal clearance on each side. It was frustrating. I like %hit to be even.

I tightened things down per the instructions, not overly done.  The tire gets close to one side and its not perfectly straight, however, this fender has not budged or moved, or caused me any trouble since I installed it two years ago.  So far so good. Tire/wheel comes out without having to take fender off.

I ran through some fresh asphalt in Montana back in 2016 and it was nasty.  I just now several months ago got around to taking apart the lower fairing and getting all the gravel out of the fairing.

However this fender still did not prevent slinging all that oil up under the tail and I still got a dirty rear pack.   I never bothered to try to clean it off under the tail section.  I Figured it was pointless anyway and I would have caused another mess below it by trying to dissolve it with something.

I did get it though, for the same reason you want one, to keep the shock as clean as possible and avoid hits with rocks. I think the voltage regulator is under there too.

So far so good though.  Nobody else makes one that I know of for the C14.

Offline gsun

• Crotch Rocket
  • CDA #560
  • COG#: 9127
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2017, 03:14:56 am »
You will always get some dirt/grit on the bike but this stops most of it. No spray coming up that affects a rider or passenger that I have noticed. Mine is crooked too. I tried to straighten it when first installed but it wouldn't go. The nuts look really close to the tire but do not hit and no problems. Design I guess.

Offline JTX

• Crotch Rocket
  • TEXAS 2015 ZG14
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2017, 09:23:29 am »
You will always get some dirt/grit on the bike but this stops most of it. No spray coming up that affects a rider or passenger that I have noticed. Mine is crooked too. I tried to straighten it when first installed but it wouldn't go. The nuts look really close to the tire but do not hit and no problems. Design I guess.

Well, Like I said, after a 6000 mile ride, I had a line of dirt on the back of my rear pack from the back tire.  I guess theres just too much being thrown off the back tire and the rear packs set back far enough that it still got it dirty.   The Project D fender is really not that long and still lets some spray go forward.

But it didn't get it all over the shock and voltage regulator which was what I was hoping for.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 09:41:11 am by JTX »

Offline Grant

• HOTROD TRUCKS & BIKES
  • Road Bike
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2017, 11:31:53 am »
Well I had broke down and started ordering the Projekt D fender till it came to shipping charges, Holly Crap!!! I think I'll be making my own. It was too expensive to start with and when shipping charges double the price I find an alternative...

Offline JTX

• Crotch Rocket
  • TEXAS 2015 ZG14
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2017, 12:21:50 pm »
I dont think mine came from the UK. 

I will look for the retailer i got it from im the US.   If i forget, PM me.

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Sport Tourer
  • AREA: Southeast Area
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2017, 01:01:13 pm »
[/quote]

Thanks for your response. Does this fender keep the spray off the back of the bike and rider as well as out of the back of the swing arm?
[/quote]
OH Hell No!!  I have that setup on my bike  in Carbon Fiber and it looks really nice however- it does nothing but make a big huge mess in any  rain or even a wet road-
 It reminds me of Pig Pen on Charlie Brown. 
My back and the seat behind me will be full of little bits of gravel and dirt.  Do not remove the existing rear fender unless you want to make things far worse.
I cant figure out why I have this cloud of mist and cr@p coming up in to my face from around the fork tubes but I know it started only after I installed the rear hugger
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 10:54:07 pm by Daytona_Mike »
Normally aspirated engines have perpetual turbo lag
2000 Red C10 1052 kit
2008  C14 Silver Dammit Full AreaP- Flies are put back in SISF_Flash
2011  KLR650   688 piston ported and polished
2011  KTM 530    This thing is FUN!!

Offline JTX

• Crotch Rocket
  • TEXAS 2015 ZG14
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2017, 01:11:23 pm »
I didn't experience anything like that.

Offline robertv

• Street Cruiser
  • Go Hawks!
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2017, 01:41:36 pm »
I forgot all about Blue One's rear fender that MOB posted!! I have the front fender and that I like since it wasn't too bad to install. I'm going to try the rear since I've been commuting more.
2008 C14, silver [current]
2000 C10, red [sold]

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Sport Tourer
  • AREA: Southeast Area
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2017, 01:54:36 pm »
I forgot all about Blue One's rear fender that MOB posted!! I have the front fender and that I like since it wasn't too bad to install. I'm going to try the rear since I've been commuting more.
Yes!  That is what you want.  I like the look of the open wheel but functionally it really does suck. Just look at my picture.  No way does it help with anything other than looks. I do tend to run  grippy tires which will pick up and toss small rocks at anyone following me. Those tires you see in my picture are Pirelli Diablo SuperSport . Very very grippy even in rain but they wont last more than 2k miles..
Go with the fender extenders- those work.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 01:58:54 pm by Daytona_Mike »
Normally aspirated engines have perpetual turbo lag
2000 Red C10 1052 kit
2008  C14 Silver Dammit Full AreaP- Flies are put back in SISF_Flash
2011  KLR650   688 piston ported and polished
2011  KTM 530    This thing is FUN!!

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2017, 08:11:09 pm »

:great: :great:
I really like the looks of that part, and would be running one myself, but as I've installed a trailer hitch, I would have to modify things a bit to make it fit... which I really hate doing.

I know it will keep that roadspray in check tho...

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline Derek

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 11636
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2017, 12:27:05 pm »
I bought the extender on from Blueone but thought it was a little too big/long.  After seeing SiSF I cut mine down by about 1"=1 1/2".  Still give good coverage but doesn't look so big.
I'll try to post a picture later today.
2010 C14 Concours
2004 C10 Concours (Lost a fight with a left turning car)
1983 Honda V45 Sabre (sold)
Ottawa, Ontario

Offline robertv

• Street Cruiser
  • Go Hawks!
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2017, 01:54:33 pm »
I bought the extender on from Blueone but thought it was a little too big/long.  After seeing SiSF I cut mine down by about 1"=1 1/2".  Still give good coverage but doesn't look so big.

Would like to see the modified rear fender pics. I agree it does look a bit bulky. Thanks!
2008 C14, silver [current]
2000 C10, red [sold]

Offline connie_rider

• "OtP" {retired/assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • COG#: 4154
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2017, 03:15:11 pm »
I have the fiberglass inner fender hugger on my bike.
I agree, it does nothing at the rear for water sling, but it does help keep things cleaner up front. {Shock linkage etc}

I have the 55 series tire and it is "very" close, but does not touch.

When I bought mine, I contacted the US rep for Project D and he helped me set up a group buy for COG.
He was very helpful..

I'll try to dig up that information if your interested?

Ride safe, Ted
14 Connie (Traveler II) / 03 Connie (Buddy)
Gone but not forgotten; 87 and 00 Connies..

If your not already a COGger, "consider becoming one".
Help us make "OtP" possible again, DO IT NOW!!

Offline NYbiomed

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2017, 05:12:38 pm »
I agree, it does nothing at the rear for water sling, but it does help keep things cleaner up front. {Shock linkage etc}

When I bought mine, I contacted the US rep for Project D and he helped me set up a group buy for COG.
He was very helpful..

Ride safe, Ted

I reached out to ProjektD about a year and half ago to set up another group buy as a follow up to yours, but could only manage a 10% discount- I was even gonna have everything sent to me to redistribute by USPS to save more 'cause individual shipping is kinda ridiculous, but couldn't match your 20% discount, therefore the savings wasn't really substantial enough, so I never moved forward with it....But the US rep for ProjektD huh.....wanna reach out to him and try that group buy again? I know im im for a helmet lock and I've wondered if the AeroForm Luggage Rack-Backrest can be retrofitted to work with  my Laam/Phil's rack combo 'cause my kids and wife would love a back rest! but it's a bit steep at $199

http://projektd.com/product_info.php?cPath=27_58&products_id=133
2002 Honda VTR1000F SuperHawk
2009 Kawasaki Concours 14 ABS
1999 Suzuki Katana 750   1993 Yamaha Seca II
1990 Kawasaki EX500      1983 Honda CB1000 Custom

Offline connie_rider

• I Need a Life
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2017, 05:24:28 pm »
I'll try to find out who I contacted back then.

As I recall, I had to promise X amount of buyers to get him to do the 20% on the fender.
And, I think it was a Christmas deal.

It's not a 20% off on everything. Only the item he agreed to.
To get 20% on the backrest we would have to do the same. {X amount of buyers}

Ted

Update: here was the previous Group Buy;
http://forum.cog-online.org/c-14-emporium/group-buy-for-rear-innerhugger-fenders-from-street-fighter/msg402418/#msg402418

As I sed, we had to buy a minimum of 6 fenders...
At that time, the fenders cost us $144 plus $10 shipping...

Did you contact??
   David Cork; (1) 772 597-3207
    sbd@davidcork.com
    www.streetfighterbydesign.com

http://www.streetfightersbydesign.com/
« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 05:59:34 pm by connie_rider »

Offline NYbiomed

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2017, 06:20:17 pm »
^^^ohh, didn't know it was one specific item that was 20% off. IDK who I reached out to now- it was really just sent to a general CONTACT there....aren't they in SE Asia someplace? Thailand?? and yeah, I recall something about X amount of orders/merchandise....perhaps it was even closer to 2 years ago now...details fuzzy...well, it's nearly getting to be that Holiday time of year again.....hint...hint, HINT  ;D

Maybe a new thread is warranted to gauge interest?
2002 Honda VTR1000F SuperHawk
2009 Kawasaki Concours 14 ABS
1999 Suzuki Katana 750   1993 Yamaha Seca II
1990 Kawasaki EX500      1983 Honda CB1000 Custom

Offline Derek

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 11636
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2017, 09:09:13 pm »

Would like to see the modified rear fender pics. I agree it does look a bit bulky. Thanks!
IMG_9357" border="0
2010 C14 Concours
2004 C10 Concours (Lost a fight with a left turning car)
1983 Honda V45 Sabre (sold)
Ottawa, Ontario

Offline Grant

• HOTROD TRUCKS & BIKES
  • Road Bike
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2017, 09:38:10 pm »

He was very helpful..

Ride safe, Ted

Please -O-please Ted!!! If we can't strike a deal or they can't figure out better pricing and cheaper shipping then I think I may have to go into fender manufacturing...

Offline connie_rider

• I Need a Life
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2017, 02:42:33 pm »
Ok, I can try to contact David about a {fer Christmas} COG group buy.
Before I get too carried away, how many would be interested in one of the Hugger fenders?
We would need 5 - 6 folks to convince him.

Ride safe, Ted

Offline Grant

• HOTROD TRUCKS & BIKES
  • Road Bike
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2017, 02:24:30 am »
Ok, I can try to contact David about a {fer Christmas} COG group buy.
Before I get too carried away, how many would be interested in one of the Hugger fenders?
We would need 5 - 6 folks to convince him.

Ride safe, Ted

Well I had started to order one until the shipping pretty much doubled the price... So depending on price I may be in