Author Topic: Seats - Laam, Baldwin GT, or Saddlemen Explorer RS  (Read 19730 times)

Offline JTX

• Crotch Rocket
  • TEXAS 2015 ZG14
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Re: Seats - Laam, Baldwin GT, or Saddlemen Explorer RS
« Reply #100 on: May 28, 2018, 09:35:12 am »
yeah, searching for a seat made me look that up again... so confusing (seats)  >:(

Its been a stellar seat for me.  Friend of mine hates it. Says it looks like a tractor seat.  I laugh and tell him, ok but hows your a** right now after 400 miles?

Exactly.

Offline Wolverine

• Bicycle
  • 09 Concours 14
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 12802
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #101 on: May 28, 2018, 09:55:11 am »
Its been a stellar seat for me.  Friend of mine hates it. Says it looks like a tractor seat.  I laugh and tell him, ok but hows your a** right now after 400 miles?

Exactly.

yeah that's part of the problem for me, I have not grown up yet (in my 50's) so I still want a seat that looks cool when I am spotting around by myself  and then I want comfort for when my wife and I go riding for the day :)

Edit

Oh and I have a short inseam so need a seat that isn't going to make me shorter...

Thanks

Rick

He that hath the Son hath life; and he that hath not the Son of God hath not life. - 1 John 5:12

Offline kv5e

• Roll miles, Keep smiles
  • Crotch Rocket
  • TARKUS - Texas Bad Boy
  • COG#: 5063
  • Membership Level: Area Director
« Reply #102 on: May 28, 2018, 10:39:07 am »
Pamela and I ride mostly two up and the "plank" stock seat was one of her main complaints. We will roll 600 miles a day some days so a new seat was needed.

Loren from Baldwin Motorcycle Saddles was at the Big Bend ride one year a tried out his creation.

That sold me!!!! Grand Touring saddle with deluxe heaters is the best improvement for comfort you can make, IMHO!

http://www.motorbikesaddles.com/Kawasaki%20Concours%2014%20GT.htm

Worth every penny and  Loren will work with you on the details. I opted for the 1/2" lowering since I have a 32" inseam and it works wonders for flat footing the pike two up and fully loaded.

Craig
South Central Area Director

Offline Wolverine

• Bicycle
  • 09 Concours 14
« Reply #103 on: May 28, 2018, 11:36:38 am »
was just look at Sargent site..

they have a Memorial day sale going on right now... email them for the code

Also notice that the Sargent low is also low for the passenger....  >:(

I "assume" cause they might construct differently, even though it's thinner it would be more comfortable than the stock seat
Thanks

Rick

He that hath the Son hath life; and he that hath not the Son of God hath not life. - 1 John 5:12

Offline Wolverine

• Bicycle
  • 09 Concours 14
« Reply #104 on: May 28, 2018, 12:10:13 pm »
well I did it, I took the plunge on the Sargent Low all black, could pass up a $70 discount (free shipping and product discount) $449.00 to my door.  :beerchug:

I still have my stock seat and may have that sent to Baldwin or Laam to have something made that would be low up front for me but with more cushion for my wife, my biggest problem (pun intended) is my short inseam.

I don't want to use a lowering kit so trying seat options first.

Thanks

Rick

Offline JTX

• Crotch Rocket
  • TEXAS 2015 ZG14
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #105 on: May 28, 2018, 01:53:26 pm »

Exactly.

yeah that's part of the problem for me, I have not grown up yet (in my 50's) so I still want a seat that looks cool when I am spotting around by myself  and then I want comfort for when my wife and I go riding for the day :)

Edit

Oh and I have a short inseam so need a seat that isn't going to make me shorter...

Baldwin will make you a seat that does not offer the same support or thinkness if you ask them.

By the time I put on my insulated boots, the difference in height was not much different.

Offline Road Runner

• Mini Bike
  • Beep! Beep! ... yeeHa!
    • 2 Hearts for Integrity Ministries
  • COG#: 12399
« Reply #106 on: May 28, 2018, 11:54:20 pm »
well I did it, I took the plunge on the Sargent Low all black, could pass up a $70 discount (free shipping and product discount) $449.00 to my door.  :beerchug:

I still have my stock seat and may have that sent to Baldwin or Laam to have something made that would be low up front for me but with more cushion for my wife, my biggest problem (pun intended) is my short inseam.

I don't want to use a lowering kit so trying seat options first.

Hope it (the Sargent) works for you better than it did for me. With a 30" inseam, I went the Sargent Low route, but for me it was way too hard. I went back to my broken in stock seat and put some Walmart heal cushions/lifts in my motorcycle boots and all is good now. I too did not want to go the lowering route because I felt it would effect the way the bike handled.
David L. Hamil
Athens/Decatur/Huntsvile, AL area
'13 ZG1400 "Metallic Spark Black"