Author Topic: Sent me the wrong Madstad bracket  (Read 1008 times)

Offline sfsokc

• Bicycle
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 10667
  • Membership Level: Active
Sent me the wrong Madstad bracket
« on: April 08, 2019, 12:52:35 am »
Hey folks, check out these pictures.  I was trying to install my new Madstad brackets for my 2011 C-14 with Cee Bailey Euro Shield.  But I think they sent me the wrong ones.   :'(  What I need to know is this-- once you've attached the brackets, your windscreen IS supposed to fit the brackets flush, correct?  You can clearly see that the angle between the original attachment points is much wider than between the points on the brackets.  Like it was designed basically for a flatter windscreen....  The brackets also don't look like the pictures on the Madstad site either.

Just wanted to make sure I'm doing this right.  I don't want to tighten those bolts right now; looks like they'll screw up my windscreen if I do!

Offline Just Cliff

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 9547
  • Membership Level: Event Host
Re: Sent me the wrong Madstad bracket
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2019, 01:14:02 am »
I think they're right, they're a little fiddly installing & have a little sde movement. They are great once installed. Here's how mine look, hope it helps.

Cliff
2008 Concours, 200,000 miles & counting. 
2014 1000 V Strom

Offline sfsokc

• Bicycle
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2019, 01:45:02 am »
Cliff:  as far as I can tell, those seem to look a bit different from mine.  My point was that the holes in the windscreen do NOT fit the bracket flush, like they do with the stock arms.  If I tighten the bolts, I'm pretty sure it will flex my windscreen outward!  Look at the link below on the Madstad site.  My brackets do NOT look like this.  The little round rubber bumpers on the brackets are actually directly between the rubber screw wells on mine, not like in the photo here:  https://madstad.com/collections/kawasaki/products/kawasaki-concours-1400

Offline sfsokc

• Bicycle
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2019, 01:46:51 am »
Here's the photo....

Offline sfsokc

• Bicycle
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2019, 04:00:05 am »
Please see this link:
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/gtr1000/madstad-windshield-brackets-t7286-s10.html

This is EXACTLY what I'm talking about, and the same model they sent me, which is NOT the same model shown on their website for the Concours 14.  I don't want a bracket that has the wrong angle, compared to the windscreen!  I shouldn't have to BEND this thing myself.

Offline Bud

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 12907
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2019, 11:19:28 am »
What does Madstad say?
2005 Kawasaki Concours
2001 Kawasaki Concours
1982 Suzuki GS1100GK
1983 Honda GL650I SilverWing

Offline Just Cliff

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 9547
  • Membership Level: Event Host
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2019, 11:25:45 am »
I would see what Madstad has to say, they do have a 60 day satisfaction guarantee.  May have to take my shield lose on on 1 side like your picture & see how it looks then. I still lean towards they're right, but hard to tell from your pictures.
Cliff
2008 Concours, 200,000 miles & counting. 
2014 1000 V Strom

Offline sfsokc

• Bicycle
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2019, 05:09:16 pm »
I have contacted the company; just waiting on their response....

Offline Bud

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 12907
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2019, 07:44:12 pm »
Madstad's phone number for reference.
352-848-3646
2005 Kawasaki Concours
2001 Kawasaki Concours
1982 Suzuki GS1100GK
1983 Honda GL650I SilverWing

Offline sfsokc

• Bicycle
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2019, 01:35:25 pm »
I have contacted the company, and they're wanting me to send a photo of the shield fully installed.  The only problem is that I don't have much confidence to tighten screws on a shield that meets the mount points at about a 30 degree angle!  It JUST DOESN'T FIT.

Cliff:  I'd really like to see if you installed the same brackets they sent me, and HOW exactly you made it fit right.  From what I can see on mine, if I were to BEND their brackets out a bit, then maybe it might fit OK.

I've posted the pic of the model they sent me, and the one from their website for the C-14.  Obviously they are not the same.

Offline sfsokc

• Bicycle
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2019, 04:28:35 pm »
I drew this as well to illustrate the problem.

Offline AmphibSailor

• Hooligan
  • Crotch Rocket
  • I am what I am and that's all that I am!
  • COG#: 12210
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2019, 07:11:49 pm »
I have the MRA Vario with the Madstad brackets and I don't seem to have the same problem.  I've attached photos of the individual brackets mounted w/o the shield and then of one with the shield mounted on the brackets. HTH.

Apologize for the dirt, but haven't had the opportunity to wash the bike since August.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2019, 07:15:04 pm by AmphibSailor »
09 Concours aka 'The Cruncher:' Corbin Canyon Dual Sport (Laam for longer trips, Laam modded Corbin Modular with Smuggler for mid-length trips), Top Blocks, Penske 8983, Traxxion AK20s, Helibars Horizon ST bars w/Galfer SS +6 cables, MRA Vario Touring Windscreen/Madstad brackets (Copper Dawg sport screen for summer), Area P full system, throttle tamer, Steve's Mountain Runner Flash.  

Offline connie_rider

• "OtP" {retired/assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • COG#: 4154
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2019, 08:31:52 pm »
sfsokc, are the part numbers correct? (C-14 vs yours)

Ride safe, Ted
14 Connie (Traveler II) / 03 Connie (Buddy)
Gone but not forgotten; 87 and 00 Connies..

If your not already a COGger, "consider becoming one".
Help us make "OtP" possible again!!

Offline sfsokc

• Bicycle
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2019, 09:34:18 pm »
thanks Amphib...

Ted:  don't recall even seeing a part number (I'll check again).  The included instruction manual was indeed for the C-14.

Offline Fix ur Critter

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2019, 11:24:43 pm »
So i have been on this sight for years and have never come across the madstad brackets for the C14.

Can the people that have them say why they bought them for an adjustable windscreen?

What benefits do you notice and are they worth it. Thanks
Be Kind, especially to the innocent
Spay/Neuter always
Show interest to a kid, they will remember it for life

Offline cuda

• Crotch Rocket
  • Ignorance Is Bliss.
  • COG#: 11405
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2019, 05:44:34 pm »
Less buffeting  ;)

More airflow
« Last Edit: April 14, 2019, 05:50:20 pm by cuda »
We have invented the world WE see .
It takes 20 years  to build a reputation and 5 minutes to lose it...   - Cog 11405

Offline sfsokc

• Bicycle
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2019, 05:53:36 pm »
I am told that having a larger amount of air flowing under the screen is supposed to push more laminar flow over your head.  (less turbulence & buffeting).  I have put up with buffeting and noise for years, but I always wear earplugs (in fact, can't think of NOT wearing them, and anyone that doesn't is probably asking for hearing loss over time).  I'll let you guys know how it goes though.  Still gotta install them according to Madstad.

Offline sfsokc

• Bicycle
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2019, 04:09:51 pm »
* UPDATE *

After much back and forth with the company, turns out Madstad had a defective production run where their brackets were off some 5-10 degrees on their bend angle.  They sent me out a new one, which they'd personally verified.

The fit is flush now; however honestly, width between the holes still doesn't quite match my windscreen.  Nonetheless, I was able to get them installed w/o much fuss.

Still trying to find the perfect angle for the windscreen that will divert flow over my head.  Since there's technically now more leverage on the control arms, the screen tends to "shake around" more than I'm used to, due to gusts or bumps in the road.  However overall I'm pretty happy.

Would like to hear from others that have installed this?

Offline SlowOne

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: Northwest Area
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2019, 11:31:21 pm »
I finally installed the Madstad brackets on my 2016 last weekend.  When doing < 30MPH, I have noticed a bit more shaking and wobbling.  I will double-check the bolts soon.  However, I had been thinking it was a function of using a CalSci XL Wide windshield.

That said, I've been very happy with the reduced wind noise at 60mph and above.  I have noticed a bit more sound from what I *think* is the front tire.  But I'm happy with the trade-off.

Offline Kreton'sLC

• Mini Bike
  • COG#: 13013
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2019, 02:22:34 am »
What gives?  I was interested in checking the brackets out and got a "page not found" message using the link put up by an earlier poster.  They also don't show C 14s on their Kawasaki page.  Makes me wonder if after the defective product run mentioned by the OP they decided not to carry brackets for the C 14 any longer.

Offline ohdannybay

• Big Wheels
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2019, 02:16:18 am »
I will chime in here with my first ever COG post to say the Madstad bracket for me was a night-and-day change. My 2011 Connie is my first non-cruiser bike, and I was SO disappointed by the head buffeting/noise at highway speeds, regardless of where I put the windshield.
Due to a forum member here recommending Madstad + stock shield even more than an expensive shield... I went with it. LOVE it. Love riding. So much quieter. Madstad doesn’t raise the shield, it raises the angle of the shield. Position 1 is all I really ever need.