Author Topic: That pesky low fuel warning and the disappearance of the range function.  (Read 41323 times)

Offline CW

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Re: That pesky low fuel warning and the disappearance of the range function.
« Reply #150 on: October 26, 2013, 05:11:20 pm »
Got the order and yes, got a valid address. It will go out tomorrow (Wed. 23 Oct.) and you should get it by Sat. or Mon.

Brian

Received it yesterday (Friday), a mere two days after you mailed it. I installed it today. Took 5 minutes. Instructions and pics were perfect! Now I've got to go ride and burn off some gas so I can see my new farkle at work!

Thanks for a great product, at a great price, with great service!
2010 Neptune blue C-14
2009 KLR
2103 DR-Z400S

Offline 6thwisconsin

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: North Central Area
« Reply #151 on: October 28, 2013, 12:21:47 am »
No worries... I love the product and had no problems paying the price. I can't help that I'm am a cheap azz...

As far as the price, I could really knock that down but I would have to make a lot of units- 5,000 plus and I cannot see my way to doing that. I doubt I would sell them and I can only use one myself :-)  But as it is, these are being made in small lots using ridiculously expensive components and excessive amounts of labor. Reducing the price isn't an option. Raising the price is but I am trying to hold where it is.
2009 Concours 14ABS (sold)
1974 cb550k0 custom build
1975 cb750f0 custom build
1974 cb550k0 stockish restomod

Offline GWOCNI

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Northeast Area
« Reply #152 on: October 30, 2013, 12:39:43 am »
Mine's here, mine's here, mine's here..............  :beerchug:

Offline BDF

• Iron Butt
« Reply #153 on: October 30, 2013, 04:33:26 pm »
Great- thanks for letting me know. You are my very first customer in Northern Ireland and while I expected it to arrive OK it did take a little longer than I expected. I buy the occasional small item from the UK (England specifically, and not motorcycle related) and it usually takes one week exactly to arrive here.

Brian

Mine's here, mine's here, mine's here..............  :beerchug:
KiPass keeping you up at night? Has the low fuel warning burned your retinas? Find peace, harmony and the answer to these problems. www.incontrolne.com

Offline mattchewn

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 10993
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #154 on: October 30, 2013, 07:25:58 pm »
Brian,
I sent a small manilla envelope with COG stuff in it to Germany for another member and it took almost 4 weeks to get there.
Matt
2018 H2 SXSE.  (FAT SXSE)
2011 GSX1250 FA
2009 Ninja 500R. (wifes')
2001 Bandit 650  (kids')

Offline CW

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #155 on: October 30, 2013, 08:41:20 pm »
For anyone interested, I had my first chance today to test out my new farkle from BDF. Range dropped below 50. And instead of that pesky flashing warning, I continued to get a readout of my remaining distance to empty. I did a quick compuatation before filling the tank, based on indicated range and average mpg, which resulted in a theoretical volume of 4.8 gallons required to fill. Sure enough, the actual fill volume turned out to be 4.84 gallons.

Pretty darned close, BDF!!!

In summary, I now feel I can continue to ride in comfort, while keeping an eye on the remaining range. As long as the read out is in double digits, I feel pretty safe. Way better than a flashing "Low Fuel" warning. More informative, too.

Thanks, Brian!
2010 Neptune blue C-14
2009 KLR
2103 DR-Z400S

Offline BDF

• Iron Butt
« Reply #156 on: October 31, 2013, 04:40:32 pm »
Thanks for the kind words and very glad to hear you like it.

Brian

For anyone interested, I had my first chance today to test out my new farkle from BDF. Range dropped below 50. And instead of that pesky flashing warning, I continued to get a readout of my remaining distance to empty. I did a quick compuatation before filling the tank, based on indicated range and average mpg, which resulted in a theoretical volume of 4.8 gallons required to fill. Sure enough, the actual fill volume turned out to be 4.84 gallons.

Pretty darned close, BDF!!!

In summary, I now feel I can continue to ride in comfort, while keeping an eye on the remaining range. As long as the read out is in double digits, I feel pretty safe. Way better than a flashing "Low Fuel" warning. More informative, too.

Thanks, Brian!
KiPass keeping you up at night? Has the low fuel warning burned your retinas? Find peace, harmony and the answer to these problems. www.incontrolne.com

Offline GWOCNI

• Tricycle
« Reply #157 on: November 03, 2013, 07:33:09 pm »
Fitted in 30 seconds flat, now to get the fuel run down :)

Offline guzziman3

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
« Reply #158 on: January 08, 2014, 06:13:20 pm »
Got mine today Brian, cheers :great:

Offline BDF

• Iron Butt
« Reply #159 on: January 08, 2014, 07:16:57 pm »
Great- thanks for letting me know because I could not track it once it hit NY and left the US :-(

Please feel free to contact me (here, e-mail or whatever works for you) if you have any questions.

Brian

Got mine today Brian, cheers :great:

Offline 4Bikes

• Iron Butt
  • COG#: 9715
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #160 on: January 08, 2014, 08:09:57 pm »
This has been on my to-do-Farkle list, and I ordered one on Monday.  Feedback and tracking on the order is excellent. 

For me this is a safety issue, because it’s downright dangerous trying to clear the fuel warning with gloves while riding. Pulling over is a PIA.   I try to tell myself to just let it go Ape$h*t until I find gas, but I always seem to end up trying to clear it anyway and regret it every time I try.  This Farkle makes the whole problem go away.  Awesome.  :great:
Silver 2011 C-14 and 2019 Versys 1000 SE LT+.  Previous rides: KZ-400, KZ-750, KZ-1000.  Keep the rubber side down.  Ride Fast......Live Slow......

Offline BDF

• Iron Butt
« Reply #161 on: January 08, 2014, 08:30:03 pm »
Thanks for the kind words.

Yours is in your town but not out for delivery in the little white vehicle (LLV) yet. Probably tomorrow.... :-) You even got instructions printed with a brand new toner cartridge.  ;D   

Well the other thing you get with this is that even when you clear that low fuel flashing display, the range function no longer works at the very moment in time when you probably care about it (50 miles and less). This will cause the range function to continue to work. Just bear in mind that it is a calculated estimate and NOT a precise piece of data of the actual fuel range left. I would not push it beyond, say, 12 or 15 miles without refueling, at least not without testing on your own bike. Still, there is a big comfort zone from, say, 45 miles to 20 miles range remaining with virtually no risk of running out of fuel in my opinion and experience. I have had mine down to 7 miles indicated (bike still running so not out of fuel) but the 5.8 gallon tank took a whisker over 6 gallons so I think I was on the edge.

Brian

This has been on my to-do-Farkle list, and I ordered one on Monday.  Feedback and tracking on the order is excellent. 

For me this is a safety issue, because it’s downright dangerous trying to clear the fuel warning with gloves while riding. Pulling over is a PIA.   I try to tell myself to just let it go Ape$h*t until I find gas, but I always seem to end up trying to clear it anyway and regret it every time I try.  This Farkle makes the whole problem go away.  Awesome.  :great:

Offline Rembrant

• Low Brow Realist
  • Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #162 on: January 09, 2014, 10:51:20 am »
Dear all of you out riding and testing your new low fuel warning eliminators,

You suck.

It's 15 degrees and icy here and my new fuel gadget is still in the box BDF shipped it in.

I already know it's awesome...I just can't use it yet.

Kind regards,

Rembrant. ;D
“If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.” ~ Winston Churchill.

Offline BDF

• Iron Butt
« Reply #163 on: January 09, 2014, 12:24:36 pm »
No, no- take it OUT of the box and the ice should start to melt....

:D

Yeah, the roads are clear here but temps. are still below 20F. I did start the bike last night at around 10F and while it did crank slow, it still lit off and idled. Gotta' love F.I. and stick coils (fast voltage rise on the spark arc).

Brian

Dear all of you out riding and testing your new low fuel warning eliminators,

You suck.

It's 15 degrees and icy here and my new fuel gadget is still in the box BDF shipped it in.

I already know it's awesome...I just can't use it yet.

Kind regards,

Rembrant. ;D

Offline 4Bikes

• Iron Butt
« Reply #164 on: January 10, 2014, 09:16:20 pm »
This Farkel was easier to install than Phil's rack, and that was simple. Speaking of rack, I thought I was going to need the help of The All Girls Garage since the instructions say to use a finger nail and showed a woman's finger.  :rotflmao:

For what it's worth, I had no problem pulling up the harness and putting it back without removing the rubber hose. Its not a big deal to pop the hose off (easy boys) but It wasn't necessary in my case and saved a step in the three step process.
Silver 2011 C-14 and 2019 Versys 1000 SE LT+.  Previous rides: KZ-400, KZ-750, KZ-1000.  Keep the rubber side down.  Ride Fast......Live Slow......

Offline guzziman3

• Big Wheels
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
« Reply #165 on: March 04, 2014, 11:51:46 am »
Finally got out and had a run long enough to fully evaluate the eliminators advantage to me. Previously when the mileage remaining got down to around 40 miles, the low fuel message took over the display making all other info virtually inaccessable.
Now what a transformation!!! Down to 18 miles remaining and she took 21.3 litres, no dramas, no wondering will I make a gas station etc, and all while all the info was still available,  this is one of the best and cheapest improvements I have made.

Thank you Brian, great improvement to a great bike.

Offline BDF

• Iron Butt
« Reply #166 on: March 04, 2014, 12:54:25 pm »
Thanks for the kind words.

Glad you like it. Just be aware that it is an estimate and it can be off by a fair amount so it is best not to 'tease the tiger' in my opinion. It seems to be most accurate on the highway and less so in stop- and- go riding in the city. That sort of works out too though 'cause in the city there are usually plenty of fuel stations around- on the highway it could be many miles between fuel stations.

Thanks again,
Brian

Finally got out and had a run long enough to fully evaluate the eliminators advantage to me. Previously when the mileage remaining got down to around 40 miles, the low fuel message took over the display making all other info virtually inaccessable.
Now what a transformation!!! Down to 18 miles remaining and she took 21.3 litres, no dramas, no wondering will I make a gas station etc, and all while all the info was still available,  this is one of the best and cheapest improvements I have made.

Thank you Brian, great improvement to a great bike.

Offline PdLt

• Mini Bike
  • COG#: 10240
« Reply #167 on: March 08, 2014, 05:17:08 pm »
Hey Brian,

I am thinking about buying another C-14 just so I can try it out.  I wish I had one on my bike when I had it.  Sounds like your device is going over well.  Congrats.  Hope to see you soon.

Offline Gypsy JR

• American Gypsy
  • I Need a Life
  • Living the Gypsy Life
  • COG#: 9279
I installed the low fuel warning flasher disable gadget some time ago, but have never ridden the bike since for various reasons.

Yesterday I had the bike out for the first time in far too long, and it was very low on fuel. The range said about 21 miles left when I rolled into the gas station.

I've never seen it say 21 miles left, its always been flashing the warning long before then. Nice to see how many miles I could go down that low. I know its just a computer guessing but I've found it to be quite accurate overall when compared to GPS calculated distances and gas stops. And it does take ECCO and engine load/acceleration into account reasonably accurately.

So +1 to this gadget, because I just got to see it work, and it did what it was supposed to do, be invisible and just keep the RANGE visible all the way down.

I griped about my new truck flashing low fuel warnings, but at least it alternates, showing range every minute or so before going back to flashing. If I could get a gadget to stop my truck from doing that like this one for the C14, I'm put it on in a heartbeat.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2017 Forest River Flagstaff Super-V 27VRL travel trailer
Where are you? [insert random forest name]

Offline gpd323

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Northwest Area
« Reply #169 on: August 15, 2014, 06:01:29 pm »
Got mine installed weeks ago, easy as pie! Went low fuel till about 20 miles left, works just like advertized!!!!
Greg Downing
Beautiful Downtown Spanaway
Washington State

Ride while you can.

Offline fast phil

• Big Wheels
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #170 on: August 16, 2014, 09:17:08 pm »
Brian will you have any of these in stock soon.

Offline BDF

• Iron Butt
« Reply #171 on: August 16, 2014, 09:41:19 pm »
A week or so. I am clean out of stock on everything. The bypasses will be a bit more time as some of the components are winging their way from Japan, perhaps two weeks out. The low fuel warning eliminator components are in stock, just not manufactured yet. I should have some together by the end of next week.

None of this is my fault though- Kirby is in charge of inventory and he has managed this quite badly. I promise to keep an eye on him from now on....

Brian

+
Brian will you have any of these in stock soon.

Offline Rick

• Moped
  • AREA: Northwest Area
« Reply #172 on: August 16, 2014, 10:17:04 pm »
The fuel warning eliminator is interesting. I wish there was a way to turn it on and off. I'd like the warning, then be able to acknowledge it and turn the warning off.

Offline 4Bikes

• Iron Butt
« Reply #173 on: August 16, 2014, 11:05:38 pm »
I enjoyed my mod today and cruised beyond 200 miles knowing full well I would need the gas, but did it at my convenience according to the range display and not when the display went ape sh$t. Love this Farkle.  :beerchug:

Offline BDF

• Iron Butt
« Reply #174 on: August 17, 2014, 11:06:10 am »
Agreed- that would be 'slick' but it is not feasible (read: affordable) to do on this bike.

Brian

The fuel warning eliminator is interesting. I wish there was a way to turn it on and off. I'd like the warning, then be able to acknowledge it and turn the warning off.