Author Topic: That pesky low fuel warning and the disappearance of the range function.  (Read 41320 times)

Offline BDF

• Iron Butt
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Re: That pesky low fuel warning and the disappearance of the range function.
« Reply #175 on: August 17, 2014, 11:13:07 am »
Great- glad to hear when people like the things that I thought were a good idea :-).

Mine almost bit me.... or rather, I almost bit myself (easy boys!) with this thing a couple of days ago. I filled the tank and took a two hour trip (each way), all in one day. That left about a gallon and a half, at a guess, in the tank. Then a bunch of short trips between 10 and 30 miles. WHEN SUDDENLY it occurred to me to look at the fuel level.... and it was at the bottom. Hmmmm. Turn the range function on and it read 18 miles left once it settled down (stopped bouncing due to stop- and- go riding) :-(   There are many methods and devices to address a lack of attention (tow trucks, fire trucks, casts, wheel chairs, caskets) but no real fix IME.  ;)

Brian

I enjoyed my mod today and cruised beyond 200 miles knowing full well I would need the gas, but did it at my convenience according to the range display and not when the display went ape sh$t. Love this Farkle.  :beerchug:
KiPass keeping you up at night? Has the low fuel warning burned your retinas? Find peace, harmony and the answer to these problems. www.incontrolne.com

Offline JimH_PA

• Scooter
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
« Reply #176 on: August 17, 2014, 11:16:18 am »
  Funny how I just started and read this thread yesterday....went for a ride and at 190 miles the dreaded low fuel went on.  This was only my 2nd full fill up and I knew I could get at least 10 more miles....decided to go further and did 30.  Had .8 left....fill up took 5.05 gallons.  I will also be putting my name in for a Brian LFW override kit later in the year.  I was able to do the button trick.  It stopped the constant Low fuel on the lcd but the red light stayed on and the E flashed...was able to scroll thru all the different screens but no current average miles displayed like mentioned earlier.  I just used the odometer from when it hit low fuel and figured at least 30 miles should be fine.  Great job Brian in making a useful item for all of us!  Can not wait to order and put on.  Told the wife since I just bought the bike I would wait for awhile before putting any money into it.......
Jim 2010 (fastest color)Concours ABS
94 Vmax Had for 17 years!
CX 650C,V45 Magna,CX 500C,KZ1000
GPZ550  1982 before they were Ninja's

Offline B59ram

• Big Wheels
  • COG#: 11533
  • Membership Level: Active
BDF & That pesky low fuel warning
« Reply #177 on: August 24, 2014, 01:44:25 am »
So, after switching to a 2014 C14 after having ridden C10s since 1989, I looked for the "Reserve" setting the first time the fuel gauge started getting low.   Well, as you all know (and me, too, now!) we don't have a petcock or "Reserve" any more.  So I did what any other respectable system tester would do, and put a small 2 gallon fuel can in the "cool" saddle bag, and ran that sucker dry.  I made 44 miles riding at about 60 MPH through the twisty upstate NY 2 lane county roads from the point when the intrusive LOW FUEL warning took over the display.
I didn't yet know about the 2 button display over-ride, so had to put up with the flashing display, but at least I now know there's almost exactly 1 gallon left when it hijacks the LCD.
  I do manage my fuel closely, and miss the 300 mile range of the old C10, but do want to get Low Fuel Over-ride circuit from Brian.   As you are currently out of stock, I can't order one today, but would appreciate it if you would queue me up for one as soon as you replenish your supply.   Thanks!!!   

Offline C14lvr

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: South Central Area
« Reply #178 on: August 24, 2014, 02:26:48 am »
Not long after I bought my 2011 C14, I took it on it's first multi-state tour.
That was also the first time I ran low enough on fuel that the warning came on, flashing.

What sucked was, I was riding across the Grand Staircase Escalante out in Utah, and I had no idea how much farther I could go before it ran out, nor did I know how far it was to the next station!

Turned out, it was 22 miles to gas, and the bike would go another 40-50 miles...but I didn't know that at the time.

Just put Brian's device on mine last week.
This is cool.
Thanks, Brian.
2011 C14 ABS (current bike)
1982 Yamaha XJ1100J (sold)
1979 Yamaha XS11 (3200 original miles)
In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
"What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Offline BDF

• Iron Butt
« Reply #179 on: August 24, 2014, 01:09:23 pm »
Thanks guys, I LOVE happy customers! Glad to hear the trinket is working out for you and making your riding just a tiny bit better. But as I always caution: get to know how it the fuel system works on YOUR bike before you push it too far. And note that the range indicator will bounce around a lot in stop- and- go driving so for example, a quick glance going into third coming off a stop light is absolutely not an accurate reading. Wait until the bike settles down to a steady speed and the range reading steadies up and it will be more accurate.

Working on the stock situation now. Off to the dungeon in a bit and should have some stock later today.

Brian
KiPass keeping you up at night? Has the low fuel warning burned your retinas? Find peace, harmony and the answer to these problems. www.incontrolne.com

Offline gpd323

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Northwest Area
« Reply #180 on: August 24, 2014, 11:30:18 pm »
We tried the dongle on a 2013 ZX14 and ran it down to 5 miles remaining on the dash. The low fuel warning did not popup but we put 4.8 gallons of fuel to the top! So for some reason it does not work on the ZX14. Still had the 1 gallon + reserve in the tank when it showed almost empty.

Just wanted to give you this information. Its now back on the C14.

:motonoises:
Greg Downing
Beautiful Downtown Spanaway
Washington State

Ride while you can.

Offline firehawk618

• Mini Bike
« Reply #181 on: August 24, 2014, 11:46:54 pm »
Here's a funny one.

Mind you this is NOT related to brian's farkle he sells as I crafted my own.

I have had a similar mod installed pretty much since my bike was new.  I was quite used to the behavior of MY DTE readings.

The other evening I jump on my bike to fuel up and was greeted with the DTE shown below.

Mind you, this was not an induced false range but what the bike settled on after a few miles through town.  DTE was actually in the 600's when I initially started the bike lol.

Notice the fuel level is still empty?  Very strange.

I knew I was very near empty because of my spirited riding on that tank along with miles on that tank.

2012 C14 Black

Offline ghostrider990

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Southeast Area
« Reply #182 on: August 29, 2014, 03:12:22 pm »
Thanks guys, I LOVE happy customers! Glad to hear the trinket is working out for you and making your riding just a tiny bit better. But as I always caution: get to know how it the fuel system works on YOUR bike before you push it too far. And note that the range indicator will bounce around a lot in stop- and- go driving so for example, a quick glance going into third coming off a stop light is absolutely not an accurate reading. Wait until the bike settles down to a steady speed and the range reading steadies up and it will be more accurate.

Working on the stock situation now. Off to the dungeon in a bit and should have some stock later today.

Brian

Brian --
Sent you a pm on Availability status.
Free Bump!  :beerchug:

gr
My Horns have Horns.

Offline lather

• Street Cruiser
    • West Florida Republic Riders Club
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 10690
« Reply #183 on: August 30, 2014, 09:07:55 pm »
I have been loving this doodad during our 2500 mile tour of see Ozarks and Smokies! During our June trip to South Dakota it was not as usefull with the wildly varying mpgs due to high winds and the long distances between gas. But on this trip where wind was no issue and distances between stations is like 15 miles at most it has been a great tool for managing gas stops together with garmin's fuel poi.

Offline tchinkov

• Bicycle
« Reply #184 on: September 22, 2014, 09:26:29 pm »
Brian, when you expect to have the next batch ready for sale? I would like to purchase one.

Offline mattchewn

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 10993
« Reply #185 on: September 25, 2014, 02:20:50 pm »
Brian took his toys and went home.
Personal feelings and comments withheld.
Matt
2018 H2 SXSE.  (FAT SXSE)
2011 GSX1250 FA
2009 Ninja 500R. (wifes')
2001 Bandit 650  (kids')

Offline Gypsy JR

• American Gypsy
  • I Need a Life
  • Living the Gypsy Life
  • COG#: 9279
« Reply #186 on: September 25, 2014, 06:34:54 pm »
Brian took his toys and went home.
Personal feelings and comments withheld.
Matt

Still has his website, yes?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2017 Forest River Flagstaff Super-V 27VRL travel trailer
Where are you? [insert random forest name]

Offline mattchewn

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 10993
« Reply #187 on: September 28, 2014, 02:13:37 am »
JR,
I have no idea. Haven't bothered to check actually.
Matt
2018 H2 SXSE.  (FAT SXSE)
2011 GSX1250 FA
2009 Ninja 500R. (wifes')
2001 Bandit 650  (kids')

Offline ghostrider990

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #188 on: October 08, 2014, 01:00:53 am »
Big thanks to Brian for pulling an "all-nighter" and getting me one of these modules for my trip out west.

I can report, that he is INDEED correct when he says, do NOT exceed more than 10-20miles on distance to empty reading.

I missed an exit (okay, so I pushed it too far) to fill my tank, and remember that my gauge said I had 4, yes FOUR, miles to go before empty.
Sure as sheeit, the bike sputtered a few times, and died without a whole lot of drama.

Yep -- I rode over 2500 miles at that point, and ran it bone dry 10 miles outside of LIncoln, NE.   :-[

Heed the warning.

Damn good mod for the $$$!!!

gr
My Horns have Horns.

Offline Racerboy

• Road Bike
« Reply #189 on: October 08, 2014, 08:30:36 pm »
This weekend I pushed my miles to empty readout to 4 miles (yes, it was poor planning on my part!) before I was able to stop for gas. The bike didn't run out, but it took 5.48 gallons to fill it up. I had gone 240 miles on that tank.

That is pushing it too close for comfort!

Offline 4Bikes

• Iron Butt
  • COG#: 9715
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #190 on: October 08, 2014, 11:04:30 pm »
That is pushing it. I filled up at 5.2 gallons this past weekend and appreciated not having the fuel warning ruin my ride.
Silver 2011 C-14 and 2019 Versys 1000 SE LT+.  Previous rides: KZ-400, KZ-750, KZ-1000.  Keep the rubber side down.  Ride Fast......Live Slow......

Offline CinciGator

• Big Wheels
  • COG#: 11319
« Reply #191 on: October 17, 2014, 03:54:53 pm »
Anyone have instructions on how to install? Received Unit almost a year ago just now getting around to it can't find any instructions

Offline Butch

• Bicycle
  • COG#: 11769
« Reply #192 on: October 17, 2014, 09:54:55 pm »
I installed one of these the beginning of the week, first the connector itself is a real piece of craftsmanship, I defy anyone to say that it does not belong in the harness. The instructions that he sends with it, including pictures is excellent and it really does only take about
10 minutes and that includes reading instructions. Next-how does it work ? just as he describes, one of the best $50 motorcycle accessories I have ever installed in my 50+ years of riding. Great job--again Thanks!!

Offline greenbiker

• Tricycle
« Reply #193 on: August 20, 2015, 04:52:30 am »
Hi I am the proud owner of a 2015 C 1400, and it looks it does not have a low fuel warning light.
1973 RD 350 Yamaha project
1996 ZX 7R Ninja
2008 ZX 6R Ninja
2018 KTM XCW 300
2015 ZG 1400 Concours

Offline gPink

• Iron Butt
  • MMVIII C XIV
  • AREA: North Central Area
« Reply #194 on: August 20, 2015, 08:54:23 am »
The model with the upside down dash might not.

Offline 4Bikes

• Iron Butt
« Reply #195 on: August 20, 2015, 11:10:45 am »
Keep riding, and when you get down to 1.1 gallons left, the display will go apeS*it and let you know you need gas.  It will drive you crazy, and you will finally attempt to hold the top button while pressing the lower button to clear the display, only to get the bright red warning light if you are lucky.  The entire time you are fighting to clear the alarm, you are swerving all over the place risking a crash. 

As mentioned, this is the best $50.00 you will spend.  The range works to the end, and you have to assume responsibility for being smart enough to know when to get gas.
Silver 2011 C-14 and 2019 Versys 1000 SE LT+.  Previous rides: KZ-400, KZ-750, KZ-1000.  Keep the rubber side down.  Ride Fast......Live Slow......

Offline greenbiker

• Tricycle
« Reply #196 on: August 20, 2015, 12:59:49 pm »
Perfect, thanks for the heads up.

Oh, sorry about the upside down image, I guess that's what happens when taking a picture with an I Phone
And posting the image with a Kindle. l
LOL
1973 RD 350 Yamaha project
1996 ZX 7R Ninja
2008 ZX 6R Ninja
2018 KTM XCW 300
2015 ZG 1400 Concours

Offline diablo6v

• Scooter
« Reply #197 on: August 20, 2015, 03:46:08 pm »
Are these still available?

Offline 4Bikes

• Iron Butt
« Reply #198 on: August 20, 2015, 03:58:23 pm »
Are these still available?

The website to order is still up advertising it, so I assume so.

http://www.incontrolne.com/

Offline SilverConnieRider

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 11953
« Reply #199 on: August 20, 2015, 04:07:53 pm »
I think your problem is related to you having a KMH speedo but are counting Miles.   ;D :rotflmao:
« Last Edit: August 20, 2015, 06:36:31 pm by SilverConnieRider »