Author Topic: Think I'm about to buy a Garmin 390LM  (Read 531 times)

Offline Rob9876

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Think I'm about to buy a Garmin 390LM
« on: January 05, 2018, 10:11:14 pm »
My budget for a GPS is fairly limited, and I've read reviews and been leaning toward a Garmin 390LM for my 2015 Concours.  Any thoughts, concerns, alternatives (under $500) that I should consider?

Thanks

Online 4Bikes

• Sport Tourer
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 9715
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
Re: Think I'm about to buy a Garmin 390LM
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2018, 10:42:13 pm »
I have the Garmin 590 lm and after a few initial upgrades, it works perfect for me every ride.  Riding with other COG members, there is a real love hate relationship with GPS units. I seem to lead a lot of rides because I have the route in my GPS. I personally find a good GPS with the many advanced options on the motorcycle indespensible.

If you haven’t seen any reviews, here is one on youtube and it seems to be very similar to the more expensive 590. I don’t think you can go wrong if you bought it, but others will have opinions.

https://youtu.be/hhERsbuAU_A
Silver 2011 C-14. Previous rides: KZ-400, KZ-750, KZ-1000.  Keep the rubber side down.  Ride Fast......Live Slow......

Offline cyberswine

• Training Wheels
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2018, 11:42:09 pm »
I use an older 350 LM and I don't think there are many differences between them all other than the obvious extras like traffic, music etc etc.  What mattered to me was learning to use it to it's full extent.  Garmin software sucks and their instructions or tutorials are non existent.  Spent weeks one winter following some YouTube (tedious) videos and the light finally came on.  I tour extensively and wish I'd taken the time to figure it all out long before I did.  Ignore this if you only ride around town on Sunday afternoons  :o

Offline sininja

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: North Central Area
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2018, 11:57:29 pm »
I have a Garmin Zumo390lm, I love it!  My wife works for a company that sells them and I could have got anything and I decided this was more than enough and it is.  I love putting a random destination in, then using the curvy roads option.  It has had me see places I would have never been otherwise.   Perfect for me since I usually ride alone and need the motivation of a destination.... 

Offline ghostrider990

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 12649
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2018, 02:07:56 pm »
I have had the 590lm since I bought my c14 new in 2014.

Similar to others, it's a love hate relationship.
I too think  the Garmin software is shite compared to Google, or other software - mostly because it's not particularly intuitive or flexible when NOT inputting a destination.

The interface with my SENA20S has been a M****F**** to decipher, and with constant updates to the SENA software (literally, every month) the syncing process seems to never stay the same.
I still can't use the MP3 audio option via the Garmin, because of an Audible THUMP everytime a function key is activated on the Garmin within the audio interface.  It's more than annoying....it's painful.  Similar to dropping a needle on a record, with the speakers turned up to ELEVEN.  Needless to say, this negates turn by turn audio interface useability as well.
Concur on non-existent instructions from Garmin, and those that exist require the patience of a Saint to learn -- mostly, because you can't LEARN in realtime when NOT in motion, riding somewhere.
Where is the ALTIMETER on this thing?????
Compass, heading, GPS location present.....but elevation relative to location CONSPICUOUSLY absent.  = FAIL.
#1 Complaint = NO XM Built in, or optional to add on.

Now the good:  Display is awesome in all situations, and touchscreen works extremely well with Gloves on. 
Waterproof. Period.
Find twisties option DOES work, but if you want to switch between that and Highway routing....it's not real easy to change quickly.
UP AHEAD menu option is great for finding food and gas.
Turn by turn instructions and directions work extremely well when you have a destination plugged in (visual)
With subscription, and cell phone interface - the Weather Alert function is Useful and reasonably accurate, as well as the traffic option.
TPMS options exist as well as Video Camera options.
Expandable memory (up to 32gb) via Mini SD card, for maps, saves, and music.
MP3 Audio playback and Pandora interface adds fingertip and visual on screen interface
I'm sure I'm forgetting several....

Could I live without my Garmin?  Yes.
Google Maps on my phone is typically better for map details and overall views of the "region"I'm driving within.
However - with the glove friendly touchscreen, waterproofness, and multiple info options -- it really IS a useful tool.
I use the Garmin AND my cell phone in Tandem, typically, and I like the flexibility of that information overload.

COULD i take more time to learn how to use it better??  Absolutely, and that is on me.
I never input preloaded maps, or download my previous routes for saving or analysis....just not my style.

This is an EXPENSIVE toy/tool, but it is useful, and in some cases Neccessary.

One thing i can say: ZERO quality or operational issues over 4 years and 20k miles of ownership.

gr

« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 02:16:19 pm by ghostrider990 »
..."I like to keep this handy -- for Close Encounters"...

Offline seagiant1

• Sport Tourer
  • COG#: 11323
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2018, 04:27:12 pm »
Hi,
      I love my Tom Tom and have never had a problem? :great:

I think I paid $150 and thought that was high until I realized how much time and gas it saved me! :-[

Old Dogs learning new tricks I guess! ;D >:D >:D >:D

https://www.amazon.com/TomTom-Bluetooth-Recognition-Discontinued-Manufacturer/dp/B004MYFTFG/ref=dp_ob_title_wld?th=1
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams

"The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it"
"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act." George Orwell

Offline Rob9876

• Training Wheels
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2018, 08:52:41 pm »
Thanks for all of the good feedback everyone!  I've been leaning toward the Garmin over the TomTom 400.  I wanted a motorcycle-specific GPS that is waterproof, but I've seen some pretty mixed reviews on that TomTom 400.  The Garmin 590 is a bit above my price range, but the 390LM can be found for a good price and seems to have mostly good reviews.

Online 4Bikes

• Sport Tourer
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2018, 11:27:23 am »
When you buy a device as capable and feature rich as a GPS like we are discussing, it’s not going to be a pull it out of the box and start using it deal. We all want things to work without reading the manual, but unfortunately with so many variables and setup options, a deep dive is needed.

So if you want the most out the device, read the manual completely and learn how to use Base Camp.  I couldn’t agree more with the comments made about Base Camp. . It sure looks like it was written by computer guys and not motorcycle riders.

Fortunately there is now a better way. Download the “MyRoute-app”.
https://www.myrouteapp.com/en/user/login

You will be able to create routes on an iPhone or iPad using a much better interface. Once you create the route, it’s best if connect your Garmin to the computer, load the route in Base Camp, and then select “recalculate route”. This will make sure the MyRoute-App and Map on your Garmin are in sync with one another.

Once I found this App,  I create rides I want to do for the weekend on my phone sitting at lunch on a Friday. It’s not so great when you are out on a multi day trip and want to re-route, because the computer is needed. But if you cant figure out Base Camp, this is a huge improvement for creating routes.
Silver 2011 C-14. Previous rides: KZ-400, KZ-750, KZ-1000.  Keep the rubber side down.  Ride Fast......Live Slow......

Offline Rob9876

• Training Wheels
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2018, 10:22:08 pm »
4Bikes, thanks for the tips!   :great:

Offline JTX

• Crotch Rocket
  • TEXAS 2015 ZG14
  • AREA: South Central Area
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2018, 11:35:36 pm »
My budget for a GPS is fairly limited, and I've read reviews and been leaning toward a Garmin 390LM for my 2015 Concours.  Any thoughts, concerns, alternatives (under $500) that I should consider?

Thanks

I have a tomtom RIDER.

It does everything I want it to.

Offline Rob9876

• Training Wheels
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2018, 04:07:18 pm »
I have a tomtom RIDER.

It does everything I want it to.

I'll check it  out, thanks!

Offline lather

• Street Cruiser
    • West Florida Republic Riders Club
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 10690
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2018, 02:05:56 pm »
Ive been using the 390LM for two years now and I am happy with it. I make routes with Mapsource  and they work very well if you take the well known precautions. The only major flaw in the 390LM in my opinion is it recalculation when on a route and miss a turn. Do not let it recaculate, it will amost aways send you to on a wild goose chase. Best to zoom out and get back on your route on your own. The curvy route feature seems to work inconsistently for me.

Before the Zumo I have used Nuvi 500 and 550s for years and the Zumo is very differrent and took me a long time to get used too but in the end I am happy. I like the Tire pressure feature since I used it on bikes that do not have this as well as the C14. 

Offline Rob9876

• Training Wheels
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2018, 03:21:25 pm »
Thanks lather for the good information!

Online 4Bikes

• Sport Tourer
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2018, 03:45:11 pm »
Ive been using the 390LM for two years now and I am happy with it. I make routes with Mapsource  and they work very well if you take the well known precautions. The only major flaw in the 390LM in my opinion is it recalculation when on a route and miss a turn. Do not let it recaculate, it will amost aways send you to on a wild goose chase. Best to zoom out and get back on your route on your own. The curvy route feature seems to work inconsistently for me.

Before the Zumo I have used Nuvi 500 and 550s for years and the Zumo is very differrent and took me a long time to get used too but in the end I am happy. I like the Tire pressure feature since I used it on bikes that do not have this as well as the C14.
This might be hard to explain but I'll try.

If you create a route using MapSource, Basecamp or some other tool, you will be adding shaping points to emphasize the exact route you want to take.  As Lather pointed out, if you miss a turn, it will want to then recalculate to take you to the next waypoint which can seem like a wild goose chase it you want to ride your shaping points.    If you only have one waypoint, being the end of the trip, and bunch of shaping points, it will ignore shaping points if you are past them and set a bee-line for the waypoint which is the end of the ride.  The best way to combat a missed turn, is to periodically add announced waypoints along the way.  I like to put them at 10 mile or so increments.  That way if you miss a turn, it will make a beeline for the next waypoint, and after that you are back on your desired route using the shaping points.  Hope this helps.

Offline cyberswine

• Training Wheels
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2018, 11:57:15 pm »
What 4Bikes said.  The way that can also work out if you go off course is to ignore the GPS instructions then if you are able to get back onto your original route the unit will pick up where you rejoin and all will be good.  Having said that, if you create a route using other third party software and import the .gpm file to the unit that may not happen and you will as 4Bikes said find yourself following the Garmin inspired route it thinks you should take to the destination point.

Online 4Bikes

• Sport Tourer
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2018, 12:08:07 am »
I agree with you that if you can somehow find one of you shaping points again, you will be back on track. As I mentioned the sure way to back onto your shaping points is to set periodic way points. It took me a lot of hard knock lessons far from home to figure this stuff out over several years, so happy to share.