Author Topic: Top Box  (Read 630 times)

Offline Craigmri

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Top Box
« on: January 10, 2019, 12:24:52 am »
Hey guys,  I'm picking up my Brand new leftover 2017 this Saturday and already looking for a top box.

I'm a bit confused and hoping some of you experienced Concours guys can educate me on the various "Kawasaki" top box models they offered through the years because I have seen pictures of several different models.  I'm not head over heels in love with the current top box model they offer.  I like the ones that have the similar ribbed lines the saddle bags have and that are color matched to the bike.

Craig

Offline kman311

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
Re: Top Box
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2019, 02:25:52 am »
If you end up going with a Givi top box the cheapest place to buy from is Motostorm.it. Shipping is usually a flat $30 no matter how much you order. They are $287 versus $387 at Revzilla. My last 3 ordered have taken less than a week delivered to IA.

https://www.motostorm.it/en/accessories/luggage/givi-v56n-maxia-4.html

Offline Mabupa

• mabupa
  • Training Wheels
  • mabupa
  • COG#: 12757
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2019, 05:43:56 am »
Hey guys,  I'm picking up my Brand new leftover 2017 this Saturday and already looking for a top box.

I'm a bit confused and hoping some of you experienced Concours guys can educate me on the various "Kawasaki" top box models they offered through the years because I have seen pictures of several different models.  I'm not head over heels in love with the current top box model they offer.  I like the ones that have the similar ribbed lines the saddle bags have and that are color matched to the bike.

Craig

I have a givi v56 top box with a Phil’s rack and love it. If you like the ones that match the saddlebag’s “ribs” and are color matched, they are made by corbin and are stupid expensive.

Offline Craigmri

• Training Wheels
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2019, 11:14:38 am »

Craig

I have a givi v56 top box with a Phil’s rack and love it. If you like the ones that match the saddlebag’s “ribs” and are color matched, they are made by corbin and are stupid expensive.

This is the model i like.  is this not a kawasaki model?

Craig

Offline philipintexas

• Industry Member
  • Road Bike
  • Need a better luggage rack? www.philsfarkels.com
    • Phils Farkels
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 10175
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2019, 04:34:20 pm »
Just be aware, over the years the OEM boxes changed. They started out as “Monolock” and changed to “Monokey” in 2015. ANY Monolock trunk requires an additional plastic mounting plate. A Monokey can be attached directly to an after-market rack. The latest OEM rack/trunk (KQR) is a plastic rack.
Most people consider the MonoKEY system to be better than the Monolock.
Need a better luggage rack? www.philsfarkels.com   

Online connie_rider

• "OtP" {retired/assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • COG#: 4154
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2019, 04:44:35 pm »
Yes, the one you posted is a Kawasaki Trunk. I think it is made by Givi for Kawasaki.
It is available in the color of your bike and I agree with Phillip.  Get the Monokey design.
To the best of my knowledge, they just offered 2. 1 design before 15 and 1 design after.

There are many trunk bags available if you shop around.
Most think the Givi is the best. Some Givi's may be available in the color of your bike.
Yes, they are more expensive than most others, but less than what you will have to pay to get a Kawasaki trunk.

Ride safe, Ted
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 09:31:37 pm by connie_rider »
14 Connie (Traveler II) / 03 Connie (Buddy)
Gone but not forgotten; 87 and 00 Connies..

If your not already a COGger, "consider becoming one".
Help us make "OtP" possible again!!

Offline FTB530

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 12127
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2019, 05:34:38 pm »
I agree with the Phill’s rack and v56Givi maxi from Motostorm! The Givi I bought was $315 TMD ,and I couldn’t find it cheaper anywhere!

Offline Craigmri

• Training Wheels
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2019, 07:42:28 pm »
I agree with the Phill’s rack and v56Givi maxi from Motostorm! The Givi I bought was $315 TMD ,and I couldn’t find it cheaper anywhere!

So if I buy any Givi Monokey top box, I can buy the Key cylinder from Kawasaki for $40 and have a matched set for one key?

Craig

Offline FTB530

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 12127
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2019, 10:30:04 pm »

So if I buy any Givi Monokey top box, I can buy the Key cylinder from Kawasaki for $40 and have a matched set for one key?

Craig

Do you get a matched key to your bike if you buy a Givi at the Kawasaki dealer? I don’t know and wasn’t concerned about using two keys,but if you can and that is what you want good deal! I never intended to buy a top box but I did,maybe I’ll use it someday!

Offline Zarticus

• Crotch Rocket
  • Fanboy, Sludge wearer, Proud Rotella user !
  • COG#: 10785
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2019, 01:41:40 am »
I have the older Kawi 47 ltr & a Kit that bolts to my aftermarket rack that turns the monolock to monokey which eliminates the need for the plastic mounting kit  :beerchug:
2012 Kawasaki Concours, Arabian Red
1986 Honda V65 Magna, Black
1984 Honda V65 Magna, Black
1983 Honda V45 Sabre, Red

Offline Craigmri

• Training Wheels
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2019, 12:43:45 pm »
I have the older Kawi 47 ltr & a Kit that bolts to my aftermarket rack that turns the monolock to monokey which eliminates the need for the plastic mounting kit  :beerchug:

Not clear on this since I'm trying to figure this out....I see Kawasaki sells the base plate for the Monokey case and its $149.  Is there another way to go aside from the Kawasaki base plate?

Craig

Offline Mabupa

• mabupa
  • Training Wheels
  • mabupa
  • COG#: 12757
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2019, 12:53:09 pm »

Craig

Craig

Yes, that’s a kawi one, I thought you were referring to this one.

Offline Craigmri

• Training Wheels
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2019, 12:56:59 pm »

Craig

Craig

Yes, that’s a kawi one, I thought you were referring to this one.

Yeah, if its Corbin its ridiculously expensive.  I guess the most cost effective way to go is with Givi?  If I buy the $35 lock set from Kawasaki I can fit to any Givi Monokey top box?

Craig

Offline philipintexas

• Industry Member
  • Road Bike
    • Phils Farkels
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2019, 04:00:27 pm »

Not clear on this since I'm trying to figure this out....I see Kawasaki sells the base plate for the Monokey case and its $149.  Is there another way to go aside from the Kawasaki base plate?

Craig

The Kawasaki rack is plastic, I sell a machined metal rack as well as other after-market sellers. More rigid and strong.  Some variety in looks also.

There are kits that can attach to a metal rack to eliminate the additional plate for the Monolock, however they get expensive and don’t look as good when the trunk is removed.

If you can, start with MonoKEY and you will probably be happy over the long run.

« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 04:58:43 pm by philipintexas »

Offline Craigmri

• Training Wheels
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2019, 05:16:53 pm »

[/quote]

The Kawasaki rack is plastic, I sell a machined metal rack as well as other after-market sellers. More rigid and strong.  Some variety in looks also.

There are kits that can attach to a metal rack to eliminate the additional plate for the Monolock, however they get expensive and don’t look as good when the trunk is removed.

If you can, start with MonoKEY and you will probably be happy over the long run.
[/quote]

Philip,

Thanks for the info...I like the black plate with the Monokey mount attached....Is that available through you or  through SW Motech?

Craig

Offline philipintexas

• Industry Member
  • Road Bike
    • Phils Farkels
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2019, 09:07:16 pm »
They are all shown on my site www.philsfarkles.com.

Offline AwesomeDad

• Training Wheels
  • COG#: Forum
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2019, 09:52:23 pm »
I have the OEM case. There are several pieces required and Kawasaki upgraded the mount plate post 15. It has one key and color matched trim pieces...

JJ

Offline ron203

• Officer
  • Iron Butt
  • COG#: 9847
  • Membership Level: Area Director
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2019, 02:48:20 am »
They are all shown on my site www.philsfarkles.com.

Good stuff right here.Love mine!
2014 C-14
2008 Goldwing