Author Topic: Where can I legally obtain a service manual for a 2012 Connie!?  (Read 11216 times)

Offline Cap'n Bob

• GOLD STAR
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 7134
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: Where can I legally obtain a service manual for a 2012 Connie!?
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2013, 09:10:25 pm »
Is this what you guys are looking for? It's an online .pdf version of the owner's manual.

http://www.kawasaki-techinfo.net/showOM.php?view_lang=EN&spec=US&book_no=99987-1608&lang_code=EN

I'm thinking this might be different than the service manual that you guys are looking for but I was hoping the owners manual might help also.

No that's the owners manual. He was looking for a service manual.

Offline MCEnterprises

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2013, 11:10:19 pm »
Is this what you guys are looking for? It's an online .pdf version of the owner's manual.

http://www.kawasaki-techinfo.net/showOM.php?view_lang=EN&spec=US&book_no=99987-1608&lang_code=EN

I'm thinking this might be different than the service manual that you guys are looking for but I was hoping the owners manual might help also.

No that's the owners manual. He was looking for a service manual.

Ahh, alrighty. I figured there was a difference but I thought I'd share just in case I was wrong. I'll do a bit of digging and see if I can dredge up the service manual you guys are talking about.

Offline Gypsy JR

• American Gypsy
  • I Need a Life
  • Living the Gypsy Life
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 9279
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2013, 05:17:16 pm »
Also, remember that Kawasaki has NOT licensed any .PDF digital versions (or other format, including some I've seen in paper) except to dealers for their parts lookup and a few select online retailers.

Anyone selling one on eBay is violating copyright because they cannot provide written consent to reproduce the manual from Kawasaki, the copyright holder, which is required per the copyright statement on the first page of the paper manuals.

I know that sucks, but I would think we would like to not cheat Kawasaki out of revenue, just on principle.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2017 Forest River Flagstaff Super-V 27VRL travel trailer
Where are you? [insert random forest name]

Offline MCEnterprises

• Mini Bike
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2013, 09:03:23 pm »
I know that sucks, but I would think we would like to not cheat Kawasaki out of revenue, just on principle.

Even though they bend us over on replacement parts? Like $850 for an outer shell of a saddle bag? Lol!

Offline 4Bikes

• Iron Butt
  • COG#: 9715
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2013, 09:47:06 pm »
I think it’s ok if you paid Kawasaki the full price for a service manual and also have a dark side PDF version.  Each has its benefits, and Kawasaki made their $$$$
Silver 2011 C-14 and 2019 Versys 1000 SE LT+.  Previous rides: KZ-400, KZ-750, KZ-1000.  Keep the rubber side down.  Ride Fast......Live Slow......

Offline Gypsy JR

• American Gypsy
  • I Need a Life
  • Living the Gypsy Life
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 9279
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2013, 09:13:54 am »
I think it's ok if you paid Kawasaki the full price for a service manual and also have a dark side PDF version.  Each has its benefits, and Kawasaki made their $$$$

Except you still violate the law just as much in that case as if you only purchased the copied to PDF version.

To me, it is a matter of honor, integrity, and self-respect. I don't steal from anyone, even if they are accused of charging too much for some parts.

The latter not being justification for stealing.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2017 Forest River Flagstaff Super-V 27VRL travel trailer
Where are you? [insert random forest name]

Offline Cap'n Bob

• GOLD STAR
  • COG#: 7134
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2013, 11:08:34 am »
I think it's ok if you paid Kawasaki the full price for a service manual and also have a dark side PDF version.  Each has its benefits, and Kawasaki made their $$$$

Except you still violate the law just as much in that case as if you only purchased the copied to PDF version.

To me, it is a matter of honor, integrity, and self-respect. I don't steal from anyone, even if they are accused of charging too much for some parts.

Although I am not for copy right infringement. Kawasaki does not allow PDF versions except for dealers and such. But I have to admit, that if I had already ponied up the cash to Kawasaki for their printed version, I might be more inclined to make use of a PDF copy since Kawasaki itself will not make them available. The point being that if I paid Kawasaki top dollar for their poorly translated paper copy. I might not feel so bad about their choice not to make PDF versions available.
   Although, I personally would not even consider any such thing had I not purchased and paid Kawasaki motors corp for their intellectual property. I would see it as a gray area.

Offline JimBob

• Sport Tourer
  • Woman...WHOAAAA MAN!
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2013, 01:06:37 pm »

Actually, Fair Use states that you are legally in the clear if you already own the Copyright-Protected version.

Changing formats (i.e. recording an LP to cassette or MP3, or in this case, converting a paper doc to PDF) is considered Fair Use. I wouldn't pay for a "darkside" copy on principle, but if I already own the full paper version having a PDF wouldn't be considered copyright infringement on my part - so don't think you're violating copyright doing this.

Also, getting digital copies of something is not stealing/theft - it's copyright infringement. The essential difference between the two is when a physical object is stolen, the seller loses any opportunity to profit from it, while with copyright infringement they don't - they can still sell copies of the item - they've just (in theory) merely lost a single opportunity (nevermind that studies show that the sale wouldn't have happened anyway). Not that I'm saying it's ok to do, just a different animal entirely (especially since copyright protection has a limited life, 25 or 70 years, depending).

I have lots of PDF's I've converted over the years - I keep the vehicle manuals on my phone.

-Edit to fix missing bracket causing all italics
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 06:17:36 pm by JimBob »

Offline 4Bikes

• Iron Butt
  • COG#: 9715
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2013, 02:01:20 pm »
Are these concerns about legitimate PDF version just a byproduct of technology capability? Perhaps we should not be so concerned about shifts in the method of access to the content.  If a person paid money and worked through the proper purchase channels of the copyright holder and owns the legal printed copy, what would be wrong with reading the same content on an LCD screen?  In my opinion, the DVD with the digital version should be in a sleeve inside the manual.  Many textbooks and manuals do this in this modern world.  Note that this differs substantially from obtaining the digital copy without paying for the printed copy, or sharing the digital version online. As Bob said, it’s a gray area and saying it is outright stealing is a bit harsh.  I have the printed manual, and if I could get the PDF version I would use it and still sleep at night.  At some point in the future we will be viewing manuals using displays in eyewear.  Kawasaki should provide a PDF version to users that buy the manual, or give an option of the print versus digital.

Silver 2011 C-14 and 2019 Versys 1000 SE LT+.  Previous rides: KZ-400, KZ-750, KZ-1000.  Keep the rubber side down.  Ride Fast......Live Slow......

Offline JimBob

• Sport Tourer
  • Woman...WHOAAAA MAN!
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2013, 06:29:15 pm »
Are these concerns about legitimate PDF version just a byproduct of technology capability? Perhaps we should not be so concerned about shifts in the method of access to the content.  If a person paid money and worked through the proper purchase channels of the copyright holder and owns the legal printed copy, what would be wrong with reading the same content on an LCD screen?  In my opinion, the DVD with the digital version should be in a sleeve inside the manual.  Many textbooks and manuals do this in this modern world.  Note that this differs substantially from obtaining the digital copy without paying for the printed copy, or sharing the digital version online. As Bob said, it’s a gray area and saying it is outright stealing is a bit harsh.  I have the printed manual, and if I could get the PDF version I would use it and still sleep at night.  At some point in the future we will be viewing manuals using displays in eyewear.  Kawasaki should provide a PDF version to users that buy the manual, or give an option of the print versus digital.

The concerns are all about the shift in technology capability, which is at the heart of the BetaMax case in the 80's which essentially settled the Fair Use question.

I won't pay for a "darkside" pdf of something - mostly because I find people profiting from it rather offensive, and it's clearly a copyright infringement. I don't want to screw the legal owners of their profit (though I think the manuals are pricey), I just want an electronic version too.

But I'll certainly convert something, and in the case of manuals such as these, would pass it along (gratis) to someone who already owns the paper version. This is a gray area of Fair Use, but since I wouldn't be profiting (and the receiver paid for the physical version) it's easily defensible.

Eventually all documentation will be paperless - we're fairly close already. For automotive stuff, dealerships use systems like ALLData these days (www.alldatapro.com). Techs have PC's in their bays, and the dealership has user accounts granting access to AllData. This saves on manuals, and makes the annual cost fairly fixed.

In the computer world we've been largely paperless since the 90's. I haven't touched a manual since about 94 - I even hate getting physical media from vendors (cd's). Just give me a download!

Offline PaleRider

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Northwest Area
« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2013, 06:53:44 pm »
I paid a $100.00 for my manual and if I want to convert it to PDF I can and will.
Although I can still turn a page faster and write on paper faster than a tablet or laptop.
It is nice to have the PDF copy in case I am away from home as I don't travel with my service manual.
Have Owned 2004 Honda VFR, 2004 Honda ST1300, 2000 Triumph Sprint ST.
Now 2012 ZG1400 in Pearl Arabian Red

Offline wally_games

• Moped
  • AREA: South Central Area
« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2013, 10:51:03 pm »
Kawi should at least offer the option to buy your manual with an enclosed CD that contains a .pdf copy, like many text books. Having a copy on your smart phone when you're on a trip would sure be handy. Better than lugging the paper manual around in your bags.